Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Countdown'

COUNTDOWN fans are putting their money on Terry Wogan being the new host.

Bookies who have seen a surge of bets on Sir Terry, 72, returning to TV to front the quiz show, yesterday cut his odds from 33-1 to 14-1.

But William Hill still has Gyles Brandreth and Aled Jones as joint favourites for the spot, with odds of 6-1.

Advertisement >>

Spokesman Rupert Adams said: “The viewing figures are tumbling and Wogan could be just the man for the job.”

Last week, Countdown presenter Jeff Stelling, 55, said he was leaving at the end of 2011 after two years.

Channel 4 bosses said they have already begun talking to potential candidates.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/20...#ixzz1NswTnsHG
    Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

Jo Brand and Anne Robinson
    I really cant see them in the role

Carol Vorderman has ruled out returning to host Countdown.

The presenter co-hosted the Channel 4 game show from its 1982 premiere, but quit in 2008 after being told to take a 90 percent pay cut or leave.

Following current presenter Jeff Stelling's departure, Vorderman has said that she will not be filling the vacant position.

"It's not my business any more," she told The People. "I am just a viewer now like everybody else. I would not want to go back to it.

"I was very lucky and worked consistently for nearly 30 years. But I now have a great life in Bristol with my two kids, a business and a bit of TV work and I just love my life.

"I have got the balance right for the first time in my life. I play more now, much more than I used to. I am just so happy. When you have done 30 years of telly, that's enough."

She was recently named 'Rear of the Year', beating off strong competition from Pippa Middleton.

Jeff Stelling may perform a U-turn on his decision to stand down as Countdown host.

A production insider has claimed that the Sky Sports presenter wants to discuss staying on the Channel 4 gameshow.

"I would be very surprised if Jeff didn't stay on now," the source told The Mirror. "He made the decision to quit because he feared his hectic workload would make it impossible to focus on Countdown.

"But it has become clear that Jeff should be able to manage the schedule alongside his other work."

Stelling, who has hosted the programme since January 2009, announced his decision to leave in May, saying that he wanted to devote more time to his responsibilities at Sky.

The 55-year-old is due to leave the show at the end of 2011 and Rory Bremner, Aled Jones and 'Dictionary Corner' regular Gyles Brandreth had all been tipped as replacements for him.

A spokesperson for broadcaster Channel 4 confirmed that discussions about next year's presenting team were "ongoing".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (27-07-2011)

I hope he stays. He is an excellent presenter - second only to the great Richard Whiteley...

Lord Sugar's Apprentice sidekick Nick Hewer has signed up to present the new series of Countdown.

He will take over from Jeff Stelling and join regulars Rachel Riley and Susie Dent when the new series of the maths and words quiz begins next year.

Nick said: "I'm flattered to have been asked to present such an iconic programme and will work hard to justify sitting in the same seat as such great talents as Jeff Stelling, Des O'Connor and, of course, the great Richard Whiteley.

"It's particularly fitting that I should be doing this now as my spelling has started to slip quite badly. I used to be able spell chrysanthemum."

Nick will become the fifth presenter of what is Channel 4's longest-running show when he takes over.

Jeff announced earlier this year that he was to leave after less than three years in the hotseat to concentrate on his presenting role at Sky Sports.

The longest-serving host was Richard Whiteley, who launched the show at the birth of the channel in November 1982 and continued until his sudden death in 2005.

Channel 4 chief creative officer Jay Hunt said: "Nick will be a fantastically charismatic host for Countdown. He is sharp and funny and has a real twinkle in his eye."

PA

Bit more info:

The Apprentice star Nick Hewer has been announced as the new host of Countdown.

Channel 4 confirmed that Lord Alan Sugar's aide will take over from Jeff Stelling when filming of the long-running gameshow recommences at the end of the year.

Hewer's first episode as Countdown host will air on January 9, 2012.

"I'm flattered to have been asked to present such an iconic programme and will work hard to justify sitting in the same seat as such great talents as Jeff Stelling, Des O'Connor and of course the great Richard Whiteley," Hewer commented.

"It's particularly fitting that I should be doing this now as my spelling has started to slip quite badly. I used to be able to spell chrysanthemum."

Channel 4 chief creative officer Jay Hunt said of the announcement: "Nick will be a fantastically charismatic host for Countdown. He is sharp and funny and has a real twinkle in his eye."

Head of daytime Helen Warner predicted that Hewer would bring "dry wit, fierce intelligence and unique charm" to the show, while executive producer Peter Gwyn added: "I'm absolutely delighted that Nick has agreed to take the Countdown chair, and I can't wait to see him bring his unique style and humour to this iconic format.

"With Nick at the helm and our 30th birthday next year, we've got some very exciting times ahead for Countdown viewers."

Maths expert Rachel Riley and Dictionary Corner chair Susie Dent are both returning to the show.

Stelling quit as Countdown presenter back in May after two years in the role.

Giles Brandreth and Rory Bremner were among the stars tipped to succeed him.

Exclamation Anne Robinson replaces Nick Hewer as host of Countdown

Anne Robinson is replacing Nick Hewer as the new host of Countdown.
    It was announced in December 2020 that Nick would be leaving the series after 10 years, and ever since fans have been left guessing as to who could replace him.
    Steph McGovern confirmed the exciting news on her Channel 4 chat show, Packed Lunch after teasing her name to viewers with a Countdown conundrum.
    Anne will join Rachel Riley and wordsmith Susie Dent as the programme?s sixth host and the first female to fill the hot seat.
    Speaking to Steph about her new role, Anne began: ?Thank you for keeping the secret. I am hopeless at keeping secrets.
    ?I am very excited, I want to rename it to, Three Clever Girls do Countdown.?
    ?Well, that?s exactly what it?s going to be isn?t it,? Steph chipped in. ?Are you looking forward to it??
    ?The thing is that, Susie and Rachel are very clever, very young, very pretty and much thinner than me,? Anne continued.
    ?Yeah, but you?re amazing too and you look fabulous,? Steph replied. ?You?ll fit right in.?
    ?My son-in-law who directs commercials has been trying to put some lighting into my study here but I think he?s failed because you look much better lit than I am,? Anne joked.
    Steph went on to ask Anne whether she was a ?fan of a conundrum?, to which she replied: ?I love anagrams, I do the Times crossword every day. I?m not very good at adding up or subtracting.
    ?I?ll tell you what?s great about this show is that it?s very clever contestants who have to work at speed, I think that?s what?s impressive about it.?
    After Nick revealed he would be leaving Countdown, fans called for Colin Murray to replace him after he made his debut as host.
    In December, the Radio Five Live DJ stepped in for Nick after he was forced to remain in quarantine due to being considered ?vulnerable?.
    Anne, who is best known for presenting The Weakest Link, appeared in the Countdown?s popular Dictionary Corner for a week in 1987.
    She added: ?I was so in awe of the great Richard Whiteley.
    ?I think I only said Good Afternoon and Goodbye. Who thought I?d have the chance to follow in his giant footsteps??

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (16-02-2021), Siobhan (19-02-2021)

Hmmm.., thanks, Perdy. I might start watching it again. Countdown used to be one of my favourite quizzes, but I stopped watching it shortly after Nick Hewer took over. I thought he was hopeless as a host. So, I might give it another go. Mind you, I'm not that keen on Rachel Riley either.....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

lizann (18-02-2021), Perdita (17-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    Hmmm.., thanks, Perdy. I might start watching it again. Countdown used to be one of my favourite quizzes, but I stopped watching it shortly after Nick Hewer took over. I thought he was hopeless as a host. So, I might give it another go. Mind you, I'm not that keen on Rachel Riley either.....
    Same here, will see what kind of job Anne is going to do

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (17-02-2021)

Thread Information