Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hunter (Alex Carter)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lee Hunter (Alex Carter)

Former Emmerdale actor Alex Carter will return to Hollyoaks later this year, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The 27-year-old recently signed a six-month contract with the soap under new producer Paul Marquess, who recently axed a number of current cast members including the Ashworths.

Last month, Carter announced his decision to step down from his role as Emmerdale postman Jamie Hope after four years.

It has since emerged that Carter had been in talks with new Hollyoaks producer Paul Marquess to make a come back to the teen serial as Lee Hunter, a character he portrayed between 2001 and 2005.

A show source this morning told DS: "It's no secret that Hollyoaks isn't at its best but Paul's decision to bring Alex back into the fold shows that he's committed to taking it back to its best. He wasn't really used at Emmerdale but that'll change here."

They added: "Everyone's really excited about what Paul has planned - it really is the dawn of a new era."

Carter is due to begin filming within the next few months and will make his screen reappearance around June.

It was recently announced that Marquess is to introduce a new family to the programme as part of his major shakeup.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-03-2010), lizann (16-03-2010), tammyy2j (15-03-2010)

Lee Hunter has no family or friends left in Hollyoaks why would he come back ??????????

Only Steph will know him and there werent really friendly

His sister Lisa is begging to come back and his mate Bombhead hasn't been in anything since he left the soaps so they could come back.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

thats my lhinkinf= lisa will be back now too

yes and mine, i think that would be the nly way they could bring back lisa.

oh god no please

Alex Fletcher (Diane O'Connor, 'Hollyoaks') DS Interview

Hollyoaks' third new family make their screen debut next week as part of the Channel 4 soap's ongoing rejuvenation with new producer Paul Marquess at the helm. The O'Connors are a four-member Liverpudlian clan consisting of stepmother-of-two Diane, her husband Rob and his children Sinead and Finn. Shortly after the family's arrival in the village, it becomes clear that Diane is desperate for a child of her own and is undergoing IVF treatment. How far will she go to achieve her dream of getting pregnant? Former Brookside actress Alex Fletcher, who plays Diane, recently chatted to DS and told us more.

How did the part in Hollyoaks come about?
    "Well, I decided that I wanted to get back into acting and got myself a new agent to try to get my profile back out there again. So I did MasterChef, which - even though it's a reality show - is really credible and you're actually doing something positive. That gave me some fire in my belly again and made me think that I wanted to do more. My agent was saying, 'We just need to get you a telly job', and then I found out that Paul Marquess was at Lime Pictures. He's my old boss from when I was on Brookside, so I was like, 'Right - you need to bombard him with pictures and let him know I'm out there!' I think my agent stalked him for a bit! (Laughs) We got the message over that I was back and wanting to work."

What happened next?
    "I got a phone call saying that they wanted me to come in and read for a part in the new family. I honestly didn't get sent a script or anything and I didn't know what it was for - whether it was the new mum, or a sister role, a cameo role - I had no idea! When I came into Lime, they were casting quite a lot of people and I was up against some really strong actresses, so my heart sunk a little bit! I had to sing for my supper but in the end, I felt that I'd achieved something even better because I wasn't given it on a plate. I read for the part on a Friday and they told me that I had the role by Friday teatime."

How are you settling in so far?
    "I've been here now since the middle of June and I've been thrown back into it. I haven't had light-hearted storylines, they've given me massive storylines - I've got two big ones. But it's just been like coming home. I've come back to Lime Pictures which used to be Mersey Television, where we filmed Brookie, so it's all the old crew. And ultimately I've got a job - I'm delighted to be working and to have a script again. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and I'm just going to run with it, hopefully for a long time."

When you auditioned, how did Paul describe Diane and the O'Connors?
    "He actually didn't give much away because when you're auditioning, it's confidential stuff. He kind of gave me a free reign in the audition - the script was just a scene between Diane and her husband about the IVF storyline. So obviously I knew she was desperate for a child. That's all Paul really said. But I just wanted the family to come in and be likeable - a family who you can just warm to and care about. When we went on to film our first episode, I wanted to get that across. They're a normal, down-to-earth family - but the drama kicks in after that! There's loads of ups and downs, lots of tears, lots of laughs. There's so much scope and it's exciting. I don't know where it's going to go!"

What brings the O'Connors to the village?
    "Rob gets a job at the school as the deputy head, so obviously he's had a lot of stuff with the other characters and I haven't really had the chance to do that yet, because all my stuff's been at the house. We've got a fabulous house by the way, you should see the set they've built for us!"

What's the relationship between Diane and Rob like?
    "They have a very close relationship. I don't think Rob is that keen on having any more kids, because he's already got his two children - but he's going ahead with the IVF for her. I think that Diane pretty much stepped in and saved his life when it came to his children, and he'll do anything for her. But with Hollyoaks, you're seeing it through the eyes of the kids, so I've had a lot of scenes with the kids and we haven't really explored things between Diane and Rob too much yet. We've had some nice scenes and there's loads more scope for them, but we've not really discovered any of it yet. But it's a very tight-knit family and they back each other up 100%."

Do you think the IVF storyline will run for quite a while?
    "I imagine so, it's the soap world so I don't think it's going to be one of those things that just fizzles out! I think it's going to be an ongoing thing for the family. But the nice thing is that you're seeing it through the eyes of the kids. It's not just all about how the mum and dad deal with it, it's also how the kids deal with it and the pressures that it brings. With IVF treatment, generally you get two tries free of charge through the NHS and then after that, you're on your own and you're expected to pay. It's a costly thing and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It causes all kinds of pressures, and there's the hormones and a moody mum! This storyline is great because there's just loads of avenues that they could take it down."

And we've heard that Diane's need for a baby will spiral out of control as the story continues.
    "Yes, it does a little bit! I can't talk about that too much. But she is desperate - she really, really wants a baby of her own. That will unfold…"

What do you think of the current state of Hollyoaks?
    "Everyone's storylines seem to have turned up a gear. I'm looking at the likes of the Costello family, who are doing the whole gender identity storyline. Who else has covered something like that? It's just nice to be part of something that's so exciting and new. There's a really good buzz about the place."

Did you have any reservations about working on a soap again?
    "None at all! After being out of work for quite a while, I looked at it as a job - and on a practical side, one that's on my doorstep so I didn't have to relocate. I also have complete faith in Paul - I think Hollyoaks will become more than just a soap. He's the producer who did the live episode of The Bill. It's a really, really exciting time at Hollyoaks, so it's onwards and upwards!"

Alex Fletcher on 'Brookside', 'Oaks and more

Hollyoaks has announced some exciting new signings in recent months, but if I had to name one in particular that I was particularly pleased about, it would definitely be Alex Fletcher.

Alex was a legend as Brookside's Jacqui Dixon and, after she's been away from our screens for so long, it's fantastic to see her in a new, high-profile role - especially in another soap!

When you look back on Brookside, is it something that you're proud you were part of?
    "Yeah, I grew up on that show - I was there from when I was 12 until I was 26. It was a massive part of my life, so when it finished, I was a bit shellshocked. I went on to do a couple of good jobs afterwards - including a spinoff of The Bill, which was another Paul Marquess thing. I've laid low for a while, but ultimately I've got a family and I want to work. I'd just love for people to say, 'Oh yeah, we remember her!' and hopefully I'll get a good welcome back."

Well, quite a few members of our forum have been saying how they're looking forward to seeing you on screen again…
    "Have they?! I'm too scared to read things online! You read some things and you think, 'Oh, God!' because it's usually a 'Where is she now?' kind of thing. But that's really nice to hear - I didn't know anyone had said that. You're always going to get mixed reactions, so you've got to learn to embrace the good ones and ignore the ones that are negative."

Are you still in touch with any of the Brookside cast?
    "Yes! I'm still in touch with Tiff Chapman, who played Rachel, and Diane Burke, who played Katie, Paul Byatt, who played my brother Mike - loads! Also Vince Earl, who played my dad. I don't think you could ever lose touch because we worked together for a long time. Obviously we don't see as much of each other, but we still send texts and Christmas cards and just see if everyone's okay. It's mostly the girls that I speak to."

Some Brookside fans have even been campaigning for classic episodes of the show to be released on DVD - do you think that's a good idea?
    "I hadn't heard that, but Brookside is something I'm so proud of, so I'd never say never to anything to do with it. I just think it was a bit legendary, to be honest. There was a great headline that I'll never forget, which said 'Brookside bows out' - and I think it did. Yes, it took a dip in its ratings, but all the soaps do that. I don't know what happened with the channel, but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be and it finished. I think people were always fond of Brookie. You always had the few who said it was never a true representation of Liverpool, but on the whole it was something that the city was proud of and it kept a lot of people in a job."

And how does Diane compare to Jacqui Dixon?
    "Well, she hasn't got a perm or a shellsuit, which is a bonus! (Laughs) I think she hasn't got so much of a sting in her tail. She's brought up two children who aren't biologically hers, so she's a good person. Her career is important to her, but not as much as it was for Jacqui Dixon - Jacqui wanted everything, didn't she? But Diane is a lot more sensitive and grown-up. She is a little bit over the top with the whole baby thing, but she's hopefully quite likeable. I really want people to like her and be able to relate to her."

What does Diane do for a living?
    "She's in marketing and she's training to work for the local council. So she's got confidence and not unsure of herself in any way!"

It sounds like she has a great relationship with her stepchildren.
    "She does, and I wanted that. I didn't want her to be the wicked stepmother. There are some scenes where it might be erring towards the side of her being cheesed off with the kids, but it's not really been written that way for the most part and I'm pleased about that. There's loads of good step-parents out there and it's a lot more common now - unfortunately, a lot more marriages do break down."

Did you feel under any pressure about Diane and the O'Connors being a big part of the Hollyoaks revamp?
    "Obviously there is some pressure and I feel a massive responsibility because I want Hollyoaks to be good, and I want the ratings to stay where they're at because the show is doing really well again. I want to hopefully be part of something where people are asking, 'Did you see it?' and people are talking about it again. There is pressure but I can only do my best, but I do get that vibe that we are doing a good job and hopefully it'll come across that way."

Have you had much input into the character of Diane?
    "Well, in terms of storylines, they plan a year ahead - but I think what happens is, once the writers see you on screen, they start picking up on stuff and take things down different avenues. You can't really go up and say, 'Well, I think this…' because you've just got to let people do their jobs! But they have let us run with some stuff in the way that we play the scenes, and that's what the director is there for. But so far, so good - I haven't had to put much input in other than just doing it!"

Are you pleased that Hollyoaks will now have a Liverpudlian family?
    "Yeah - I am! I'm a proud Scouser and I think that it's great, especially considering it's filmed in Liverpool. I know they've had a couple of Scouse characters in the past, though. But I'm delighted - especially as there's a lot of talent in the city and it's opened up doors for other actors and actresses as well, not just us - they could possibly make our family a bit bigger, and I'm sure that the biological mother is going to rear her head at some point!"

Have you bonded well with your screen stepdaughter Steph Davis?
    "Yeah, she's like my little mate and I feel quite protective over her - I think that's the maternal instinct in me! She's like a breath of fresh air, to be honest - and she's so talented. We did a photoshoot recently and she just got on the piano and performed a few of her own tunes that she's written. She's brilliant and we have a laugh, which is the important thing. I think that's coming across on screen as well - the editors have noticed that we've got something going on, so it's all good!"

You mentioned MasterChef earlier - was it quite nerve-wracking being on the show?
    "It was terrifying! It was a bit like an out-of-body experience and I was wondering whether I was really there doing it! But it was one of the best things that I've done. I liked it because it was credible, and I was a fan of the show anyway. It was terrifying but brilliant!"

Have you cooked for any of your Hollyoaks colleagues yet?
    "No! Actually, I tell a lie, Steph came round to my house recently and I cooked her a pizza! But that was bought in! We had a pizza night as a treat and my daughter Yasmin was completely starstruck by Steph, because she watched her on Over The Rainbow and actually voted for her. So it was nice that they got to meet. We've been working really hard, but it makes it so much nicer and easier if you get on with the people you work with, and we've just been very lucky that we've all gelled. We've had a laugh and it's been really good."
    Last edited by Perdita; 24-08-2010 at 01:02.

This thread is about Alex Carter's return and his character Lee Hunter

I know, a mod must have moved it, I had the interview as separate thread

Thread Information