The BBC commissioned a Barbara Windsor biopic not long after the actress made her final appearance as her iconic EastEnders character, Peggy Mitchell.

Entitled Babs, it will explore the star's lonely London childhood, her difficult relationships with her father and ex-husband Ronnie Knight as well as her breakthrough role in the Carry On series of films.

Now Windsor has revealed that casting is underway for the biopic, and she is as keen as we all are to find out who will be stepping into her shoes.

Speaking to The Press Association (via The News and Star) at a charity lunch she was hosting, the soap legend said: "I keep phoning up and saying when can I come and see who's playing me. Who's playing my dad. Who's playing my husband.

"All I know is they're doing auditions as we speak.

"I've seen the beautiful pictures of it and I mustn't get too close to it and say 'Oh no I wouldn't do that' or 'I wouldn't do that'."

"There's a lovely writer from EastEnders," she continued, "the wonderful Tony Jordan. He knows me and I've worked with him so I think they will get it right."

"And I know a lot of the other people and I trust them.

"I think it'll be a bit different."

Tony Jordan previously said: "The opportunity to tell the story of the amazing Dame Barbara Windsor was too good an opportunity to miss, I think people will be surprised that there's a lot more to her than just the Carry On films and EastEnders.

"There's a reason that, as a nation, we've all taken Barbara to our hearts, I think it is because she's always been one of us, never forgetting where she came from."

Digital 5py