Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast

Thread: Barbara Windsor - Peggy Mitchell

The BBC commissioned a Barbara Windsor biopic not long after the actress made her final appearance as her iconic EastEnders character, Peggy Mitchell.

Entitled Babs, it will explore the star's lonely London childhood, her difficult relationships with her father and ex-husband Ronnie Knight as well as her breakthrough role in the Carry On series of films.

Now Windsor has revealed that casting is underway for the biopic, and she is as keen as we all are to find out who will be stepping into her shoes.

Speaking to The Press Association (via The News and Star) at a charity lunch she was hosting, the soap legend said: "I keep phoning up and saying when can I come and see who's playing me. Who's playing my dad. Who's playing my husband.

"All I know is they're doing auditions as we speak.

"I've seen the beautiful pictures of it and I mustn't get too close to it and say 'Oh no I wouldn't do that' or 'I wouldn't do that'."

"There's a lovely writer from EastEnders," she continued, "the wonderful Tony Jordan. He knows me and I've worked with him so I think they will get it right."

"And I know a lot of the other people and I trust them.

"I think it'll be a bit different."

Tony Jordan previously said: "The opportunity to tell the story of the amazing Dame Barbara Windsor was too good an opportunity to miss, I think people will be surprised that there's a lot more to her than just the Carry On films and EastEnders.

"There's a reason that, as a nation, we've all taken Barbara to our hearts, I think it is because she's always been one of us, never forgetting where she came from."

Digital 5py

I'm hoping my theatre gets a mention in this. They contacted us to ask about the time she appeared there in the 1990s.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (24-09-2016)

BBC One’s Barbara Windsor biopic is starting to take shape.

Jaime Winstone (After Hours) and Samantha Spiro (Game Of Thrones) have been set to play Windsor in Babs. In total there will be four actresses tackling the role in the 90 minute drama from Death In Paradise executive producer Tony Jordan. Winstone will play a 20-30 year old Barbara, while Spiro will play her in her 50s. Two child actors will play her at a younger age.

“It is a complete honour to play Dame Barbara Windsor”, Winstone said in a statement. “It is a role I have manifested for years and am so excited to step into her national treasure shoes! I have always been a huge fan of Barbara and to be able to play her throughout this stage in her life is gonna be very special. I can’t wait to start filming”

Penned by Tony Jordan, Babs is a one-off drama about the life of acclaimed actress Barbara Windsor. It is set in the 1990s and as Barbara is preparing to perform in the theatre that evening, she takes us on a journey of all the people and events that have shaped her career: her lonely childhood and complicated relationship with her father, to her doomed marriage to Ronnie Knight, capturing the attention of Joan Littlewood and becoming the blonde bombshell in the Carry On films.

This is not the first time that Samantha Spiro has played Barbara Windsor, having previously played the famed actress in both the 1998 stage play Cleo, Camping, Emmanuelle and Dick and in the television production of Cor Blimey! “It’s absolutely thrilling to be playing Barbara again”, Samantha said. “Tony Jordan has written a beautiful celebration of her life, but it’s not your usual biopic, lots of surprises! She is so adored, so I hope we get it right and that Barbara herself loves it!”

Additionally, Dame Barbara Windsor herself is set to make a cameo in the drama. “I am truly thrilled to know that the BBC have secured two such talented and established actresses to portray me in their new biopic of my life. Sam Spiro has already proved herself playing me on stage and TV to great acclaim, as well as, having her own incredible career.”

Barbara Windsor“Sam will now be playing me at a later time in my life which will be a new challenge for her and one she will undoubtedly achieve”, she continued. “And then to be lucky enough to have one of today’s current dynamic actresses playing the younger me fills me with such excitement, especially knowing that it is Jaime Winstone. Boy am I a lucky lady!”

Babs is being produced for BBC One by BBC Studios in association with independent production company Red Planet Pictures (Death In Paradise, Dickensian). The 90 minute film is being executive produced by writer and Red Planet Pictures Founder & CEO Tony Jordan and Lorraine Newman. Hilary Salmon executive produces for BBC Studios, while Chris Aird is the executive producer for the BBC. Production is set to commence shortly for a 2017 premiere.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/jaim...c-biopic-babs/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

parkerman (12-10-2016)

I wonder if Samantha Spiro will manage to keep her clothes on more than she did in Game of Thrones!

https://youtu.be/V185Ii19YHQ

Babs arrives soon to BBC One

Did anyone see Babs last night? If you did, you may be interested to know that Barbara Windsor's father's second wife was my first cousin once removed, Julie Abrahams. Sadly she didn't come across as a very nice person!!!

I really enjoyed the programme on BBC last night. And I didn't think I would!

Thought it was really well done and Samantha had her spot on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44062921

She has been diagnosed with Alzheimers
    Last edited by Perdita; 10-05-2018 at 09:09.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (10-05-2018), tammyy2j (14-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44062921

She has been diagnosed with Alzheimers
    That's a shame.

Loved the Babs show which was on last year. Always liked Babs since the Carry On films.
    Last edited by Ruffed_lemur; 10-05-2018 at 18:01.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Rear window (12-05-2018)

put in a residential care home

Thread Information