Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Gately has died

She writes for the Daily Mail. I wouldn't expect that rag to print a nice obituary about anyone.

daily mail article gets over 21,000 complaints

Well it seems people are not impressed with article

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...In_PCC_History
    Super Mod

It is not impressive

People should just leave this alone and let the family grieve in peace instead of speculating about what did or didn't happen.

Being a celebrity I think is not fun, all these people poking their noses into your life and even in death you don't get any peace just more rumours and conspiracy theories.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannelene For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (20-10-2009)

I know its not good is it.

I learnt in media law lkast week that under laws of defamation the claim dies with the person, so even more shockingly she can write that and Stephens family cant really do anything about it.

I never knew that so there is a possiblity that more articles will surface?

That is so not right So more journalist like her will cash in on something so tragic

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...y-article.html

Jan Moir has made a public apology for any offence caused by her recent article on the death of Stephen Gately.

The Daily Mail columnist sparked accusations of homophobia last week by suggesting that Gately's passing "strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships". She also insisted that his death was "not, by any yardstick, a natural one".

In a new piece published in the newspaper today, Moir announced: "Obviously, a great deal of offence has been taken and I regret any affront caused. This was never my intention.

"To be the focus of such depth of feeling has been an interesting experience, but I do not complain. After all, I am not - unlike those close to Stephen Gately - mourning for the loss of a much-loved partner, son, family member and close friend. To them, I would like to say sorry if I have caused distress by the insensitive timing of the column, published so close to the funeral."

The journalist added that she would have written "exactly the same article" about a heterosexual singer and complained that many of her remarks were misinterpreted last week.

She added: "This brings me back to the bile, the fury, the inflammatory hate mail and the repeated posting of my home address on the internet. To say it was a hysterical overreaction would be putting it mildly, though clearly much of it was an orchestrated campaign by pressure groups and those with agendas of their own.

"However, I accept that many people - on Twitter and elsewhere - were merely expressing their own personal and heartfelt opinions or grievances. This said, I can't help wondering - is there a compulsion today to see bigotry and social intolerance where none exists by people who are determined to be outraged? Or was it a failure of communication on my part?"

Moir's original article led to a record number of complaints to the Press Complaints Commission.

Her new article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...en-Gately.html

Read the article on the way to work today and didn't think much of it. Yes there were some valuable points but I feel she would of never of written a follow up article like this one if so many people hadn't objected

She also did not convince me that people misinterpreted what she meant, and I also think she would not have written the second one if people had not kicked off about the first one.

The husband of Stephen Gately has reportedly been struggling to find the late Boyzone star's will.

According to The Mirror, Andrew Cowles had been told that the document was in the hands of a London-based company of solicitors, but is currently unaware of which one.

A source said: "It really is panic stations. They can't locate Stephen's will anywhere.

"The problem is, [Cowles] has no idea which firm holds the will, and nobody from the firm has got in touch with him to say they have it. Everything is up in the air now."

It is thought that Gately's will was originally expected to be read out to his family today. The document is said to detail the singer's wishes for his reported £7.5 million fortune.

I seriously find it hard to believe that Stephen's will is lost somewhere in London. Surely as his life partner, Stephen and Andrew would have discussed wills and what they wanted to happen to their affairs and where the wills are kept.

How can his husband not know which solicitor Stephen used? I know my parents and grandparents solicitors.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Thread Information