Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble at Work.

Trouble at Work.

I have worked nights for the past 2 years.

Recently, me and the Girl I work with haven't been getting on outside of work. So I told my Manager and she said it shouldn't really be getting brought into work, but the fact is, IT IS!

I hate going to work, I'm upset all the time, so I went to the Doctors and he said I'm run down. Easiest option going is to go on the sick, but cannot afford to nor do I want to do that.

Anyway about 6 weeks ago now I told my manager that I hate doing nightshifts and I'm not sleeping properly and suggested going onto days and she agreed to this but said it could take time.

Now this week so far has been absolutly hurrendous, I've moaned to Assitant managers and the manager endless times and its only Wednesday.

What am I going to have to say to get moved onto days and a completely different job title asap?

She did say to me how about doing your nights but working so you don't have to work with the person I dislike, but I don't want to work nights at all, not even for the time being, she cannot sack me for this can she?

Its driving me up the wall!

What caused you and this girl to have problems that affected your job?

I don't know if your company can sack you but I think they should be more accomodating to you if you explain to them about the nightshifts affecting your sleeping patterns as I don't think you can function properly without rest.
    If it was me I would keep moaning to someone until someone listened but I wouldn't go off sick as it wouldn't be dealing with the issue.

Justs lots of things to be honest, shes a compulsive liar, we had a big group of friends and shes managed to break that up. She tells one person one thing then tells someone else a complete different thing.

I've told her my issues with her but yet she stays the same.

Shes the laziest pig I've ever known at work, again I've told her about that and complained to manager at least 6 times about that, nothing gets done.

I am looking for a new job, but as you know, its not very simple nowadays.

I'm going to see manager tomorrow but I know she'll suggest working different nights but I do NOT want to, and she can't make me!

Where do you work? As the company doesn't sound too accomodating to your problem

This girl sounds a real nightmare and one to be avoided.

If it was me and all this had happened I think I would just try and work alongside this girl and be civil never showing that she was affecting me in anyway.

I hope that your manager can say something positive when you speak to them tomorrow. As your manager should be concerned about your well being.

I work in a private Care Home.

I have tried to work with her for the past 5 weeks. But still she brings up things I don't want to discuss, and I tell her this and she just wont let it lay.

I cannot bear the thought of going back onto my nights next week.

And I shall be telling the manager tomorrow cos I am sick to death of doing everything when I'm there cos shes too idol to move from her chair, let alone the terrible atmosphere she had made for being how she is!!

Have you told your manager what this woman is like and things she can't seem to leave out of the workplace?

Working in the job you do can be hard enough but you shouldn't have to work in an environment your not happy in.

If you left your job is there any agencies you can join for possible work? Or has the credit crunch all job prospects?

Yeah she knows just what she is like. But she wont get rid of her, and she has said quite a few times its her last warning.

Agency work isn't really an option for me, your not always guaranteed work and I've recently just got my own place so I need every penny.

So something is going to have to get done tomorrow. I'm sick of complaining and been ignored!

I so hope that tomorrow works out in your favour and your manager finally decides to listen to your issues. Let me know how you get on and if you feel the need to let off some steam - PM anytime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannelene For This Useful Post:

SarahWakefield (07-10-2009)

There are specific laws to govern night shift working. If night shifts are affecting your health (physical or mental) then you have a right to ask for alternative hours.

You could get your GP to write a letter to your employer stating that permanent night shifts are detrimental to your health and wellbeing, and day shifts would be more appropriate.

If you're in a union, talk to your rep.

If your manager doesn't listen to you, take it to the next level. You don't have to put up with a hostile work environment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

SarahWakefield (07-10-2009)

I'm not in a union. But thanks for this advice. I shall see what gets done tomorrow. If things don't change I will take things further.

Thread Information