So I guess Kevin will die in the fire too now
Printable View
So I guess Kevin will die in the fire too now
CORRIE star Michael Le Vell’s character could be jailed in the soap — after show bosses suspended him over claims that he raped a child.
The actor — who has played Kevin Webster for 30 years — was last week charged with 19 offences including six rapes.
He is expected to be absent from Coronation Street for at least six months, depending on the outcome when the case goes to court.
And panicking soap chiefs scrambling to explain Kevin’s disappearance are discussing sending the mechanic down for his role in the kidnap of Tyrone Dobbs’ daughter.
An ITV source said: “The bosses are considering a storyline that would see him jailed for helping Tyrone kidnap Ruby. There are other options, but this route seems to be the favourite at the moment
Rex Features
But the source warned: “They may also find themselves facing a backlash if they chose to jail him, as cast members closest to Michael may consider that a very insensitive move.”
Le Vell, 48 — who has just had his contract extended — was last seen in the soap nine days ago when nearly ten million viewers saw his character lie to cops about Tyrone, whose baby he helped abduct.
Le Vell — real name Michael Turner — is next due to appear in court on February 27. Following the charges he said: “I’m innocent of these charges and intend to fight them vigorously.”
Yesterday he chatted with pub regulars while he had a pint and a pie with a pal at The Chapel House Inn at Mobberley, Cheshire — four miles from his rented home.
An ITV spokesperson said: “No decisions have been made and we do not want to comment on speculation about forthcoming events"
Source: The Sun
Deleted
Corrie Kev axed: Coronation Street bosses edit scripts as actor Michael Le Vell faces child rape trial
The actor, Kevin Webster in the soap, will be edited from plots until his trial for alleged rape and 18 other offences is over
Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell has been dumped from the soap while he fights child sex charges
The actor - Kevin Webster in the soap - will be edited from plots until his trial for alleged rape and 18 other offences is over.
Speaking yesterday for the first time since he was arrested, the star said he would launch a battle to clear his name in court.
The dad-of-two said: “I would like to make it quite clear that following the serious *allegations that have been brought against me on Thursday 14th February 2013, I am innocent of these charges and intend to fight them vigorously.
“I will now put all my efforts into clearing my name and proving my innocence.”
Corrie chiefs were yesterday frantically editing scripts planned for several months ahead to exclude Kevin – who was recently quizzed by police in the soap after he helped pal Tyrone Dobbs snatch his baby daughter Ruby.
An ITV spokesman said: “Given the serious nature of these charges, Michael Le Vell will not be appearing in Coronation Street pending the outcome of legal proceedings.
It would not be appropriate for us to comment further at this time.”
Le Vell, 48 – real name Michael Turner – has been charged with rape and having sexual activity with a child between 2001 and 2010.
The actor, who split from his wife Janette Beverley last year, lives alone in a rented £325,000 two-bed terraced house in Hale, Greater Manchester.
He was not home yesterday but neighbours told of their surprise at the charges.
They said they had a “nodding” relationship with the star as they passed in the street, but none knew him well.
Beverley declined to comment.
Le Vell was arrested in connection with the offences in September 2011.
The probe was dropped three months later when authorities said there was not enough evidence against him.
Speaking at the time he said he was “delighted” to have been “completely exonerated”.
He also thanked police for their *“thorough” investigation and Street staff and the public for their support.
Le Vell took a short break but returned to the show and has been involved in several big storylines since.
However, Crown Prosecution Service lawyers reviewed his case and this week did a U-turn.
Alison Levitt, QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said: “I have very carefully reviewed the evidence and I have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to charge Michael Robert Turner with a number of sexual offences.
“I have authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mr Turner with 19 offences, including rape of a child.”
Le Vell, who has been in Corrie for 30 years, last appeared on screen on February 8.
In the scenes detectives accused mechanic Kevin of assisting Tyrone, played by Alan Halsall, to flee his abusive wife Kirsty with their daughter Ruby.
His next major storyline was expected to begin on March 11.
Le Vell had been due to join friends and co-stars for a meal at Rosso restaurant in Manchester on Thursday evening.
But he was instead arrested by appointment and charged over the allegations.
Sunday Mirror
Presumably if Kevin is jailed for his part in child abduction that would mean Tyrone would also have to be jailed. So is he going off our screens for even longer then? I don't think so.
We'll have half the cast in jail and the other half burnt in the Rovers' fire.....
Just saw this in Weatherfield Gazzette...
probably better to post in this thread than derail the rovers fire thread
michael isnt an ordinary jo so he is an actor/celeb in a well known popular soap opera and mud sticks so whether innocent or guilty this is going stay with him forever i'm afraid, it not drunk driving or drunken disorderly charges it is child sex offences
i just feel that having him back on the show would be controversial
He still has the same employment rights as anyone else. As I say I would be straight on to an unfair dismissal case which ITV would lose.
It is also a sad indictment on society if what you say is true that "mud sticks" even if someone is proven innocent. Let's not bother with a trial, eh? Just get the mob with their torches to burn down his house.
He still has the same employment rights as anyone else. As I say I would be straight on to an unfair dismissal case which ITV would lose.
It is also a sad indictment on society if what you say is true that "mud sticks" even if someone is proven innocent. Let's not bother with a trial, eh? Just get the mob with their torches to burn down his house.
Its so easy to make these allegations. If Michael Le Vell is found innocent and loses his job because "Mud Sticks" it will then leave every celebrity open to blackmail. Suppose you are a famous celebrity and get approached by some Jeremy Kyle type reject who states that they will allege all sorts of things from 20 or 30 yrs ago unless you pay them X pounds or they will go to the papers and make some allegations because MUD STICKS and it would be cheaper to pay the blackmailing scum rather than lose your job because MUD STICKS
Its so easy to make these allegations. If Michael Le Vell is found innocent and loses his job because "Mud Sticks" it will then leave every celebrity open to blackmail. Suppose you are a famous celebrity and get approached by some Jeremy Kyle type reject who states that they will allege all sorts of things from 20 or 30 yrs ago unless you pay them X pounds or they will go to the papers and make some allegations because MUD STICKS and it would be cheaper to pay the blackmailing scum rather than lose your job because MUD STICKS
'I'll clear my name and then quit for Australia' says actor facing child sex allegations
The Coronation Street star split from wife Janette Beverley in 2011 and believes that he now has no reason to stay in the country
Troubled Michael Le Vell has vowed to quit the UK for Australia if he clears his name over child sex allegations.
The Coronation Street star told friends: “I want to leave the country and start my life again without a stain on my character.”
Le Vell, who played mechanic Kevin Webster for 30 years, split from wife Janette Beverley in 2011 and believes that he now has no reason to stay in the country.
He is disappointed by the way Coronation Street immediately suspended him after he was hit with 19 sex offence charges, including rape of a minor, 10 days ago.
Le Vell, who has two children, spent last Christmas Down Under and has told friends he has fallen in love with laid-back Aussie lifestyle.
Last night a friend said: “Michael has been hit for six by the charges. He feels that whatever happens he has nothing left in the UK.
“He understands why Corrie suspended him but there is no hiding the fact he’s been hurt by their actions.
“He is starting to think this would be a good time to draw a line under his time on the Cobbles.”
The source added: “Michael loves Australia and would love to live out there. He has told his friends he has not been so relaxed in years as he was when he was Down Under.
“Whatever happens, he just wants a new start. He thinks he could have that in Australia.”
Le Vell, 48, was arrested in 2011 at his house in Hale, Greater Manchester, after a girl accused him of raping her when she was much younger.
The case was dropped but last Thursday he was charged.
Le Vell is due before Manchester magistrates on Wednesday.
He has said: “I would like to make it quite clear that following the serious allegations brought against me on Thursday, 14th February 2013, I am innocent of these charges and intend to fight them vigorously.”
What happens to the people that make false allegations?
Equally with saying that Michael Le Vell is innocent until proven guilty we don't know that the people who are making the allegations are making false allegations. But if they are presumably they can get done for wasting police time; Le Vell could sue them for libel/slander and, if it does go to court, for perjury IF they are false.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*********** ********************
Corrie actor Michael Le Vell has appeared in court today (February 27) facing child sex charges.
The 48-year-old, who plays Weatherfield's Kevin Webster, spoke only to confirm his name and address at Manchester Magistrates' Court this morning.
Le Vell has now been bailed to appear at Manchester Crown Court on Wednesday, March 20, BBC News reports.
The soap star was last month charged with 19 offences including raping a child, indecently assaulting a child and sexual activity with a child.
He later vowed to clear his name, releasing a statement saying: "I would like to make it quite clear that following the serious allegations that have been brought against me on Thursday, February 14, 2013, I am innocent of these charges and intend to fight them vigorously."
ITV has confirmed that Le Vell will not appear in any further episodes of Coronation Street pending the outcome of legal proceedings.
He was previously arrested and questioned over the alleged child offences in September 2011, but the matter was later dropped.
I have noticed that he was referred to as Coronation Street 'star' - now he is referred to as 'actor' - just not right :angry:
Whatever the outcome he's not coming back - innocent he's going to Australia - so as he is supposed to be in prison for helping Tyrone maybe it's him who'll commit suicide and maybe Tyrone will inherit the garage as Kevin hasn't had time to change his will since buying Tyrone out............................
Having just listened to the news about this - if he's guilty the child's mother should go to jail for abuse - she has continued to allow her child contact with him after she first went to the police - I don't think so - maybe when the case is heard more information will come out but at the moment I think it's really sus.
it is going to be hard for him not be associated with corrie it is the one role he is known for but i think corrie would not want this type of assocation though, sad but i think true
A man has been arrested over claims that he used Twitter to name the alleged victim in Coronation Street star Michael Le Vell's child sex case.
The 23-year-old, from Cheadle in Greater Manchester, was questioned by police today (March 1) under suspicion of publishing information that would identify someone who should be anonymous, according to the Daily Mail. He has since been released on bail pending further inquiries.
The tweet in question was reportedly sent on Wednesday (February 27), containing personal information and opinion about the alleged victim in the Le Vell case.
Le Vell, who plays Weatherfield's Kevin Webster, appeared in court this week facing 19 child sex charges including raping a child, indecently assaulting a child and sexual activity with a child.
Speaking of today's arrest, Detective Chief Inspector Chris Bridge from Greater Manchester Police commented: "Maintaining the anonymity of victims of sex offences is absolutely vital and is something that really helps encourage them to come forward.
"Breaching this ruling is an extremely serious offence and that is why we launched an investigation as soon as we became aware. Social media is an immensely powerful tool that does an awful lot of good, but it can also be used to spread rumour, speculation and in this case break the law.
"As a force, GMP embraces the use of social media, but when it is abused in this way we will take robust action to hold those responsible to account."
Le Vell's case has been referred to Manchester Crown Court, where he will appear on Wednesday, March 20.
Two years ago my mother's brother went to prison for rape of several children under the age of 16. The children were my mother and her sisters, my eldest sister, and a few other people. You don't realise until you're in that situation how much it tears people and families apart. I wasn't directly involved but it's still taken two years and a lot of therapy to come to terms with it. My degree suffered considerably. My relationship with my mother was incredibly strained; I avoided her phone calls and emails for 8 months because I couldn't get my head around it (we live 100 miles apart). It's only now that we're getting back on track.
Whether these allegations are true or not, and it's not for us to decide, it's an incredibly stressful time for both the accused and the alleged victims and their families. I hope they're all got great support because they're going to need it. I never thought it would affect me so severely, but hearing some of the evidence during the trial will stay with me for life. I still haven't accepted that those things happened, I just can't get my head around it, but I have to move on with my life; my mother and her sisters managed to, my sister managed to, so I have to move on somehow.
Two years ago my mother's brother went to prison for rape of several children under the age of 16. The children were my mother and her sisters, my eldest sister, and a few other people. You don't realise until you're in that situation how much it tears people and families apart. I wasn't directly involved but it's still taken two years and a lot of therapy to come to terms with it. My degree suffered considerably. My relationship with my mother was incredibly strained; I avoided her phone calls and emails for 8 months because I couldn't get my head around it (we live 100 miles apart). It's only now that we're getting back on track.
Whether these allegations are true or not, and it's not for us to decide, it's an incredibly stressful time for both the accused and the alleged victims and their families. I hope they've all got great support because they're going to need it. I never thought it would affect me so severely, but hearing some of the evidence during the trial will stay with me for life. I still haven't accepted that those things happened, I just can't get my head around it, but I have to move on with my life; my mother and her sisters managed to, my sister managed to, so I have to move on somehow.
Abby darling I am so glad you are trying to move on. Please don't become another one of his victims. If you ever need to talk PM me any time. I am a counsellor and have been for over tens years. xxx
Thanks Moonstorm. I still haven't fully made sense of it all, but I could spend years trying to figure it all out. The best thing for me is to accept what happened, not question it (I may not want to now the answers) and get on with my life. My fseamily has been ripped apart enough, it's time to close that chapter and form better relationships with my parents, finally understanding everything I couldn't figure out as a child.
He got three and a half years for 30 counts of rape. The time between the offences and the trial is about 30-40 years. He spent about 8 months on remand and only served half his sentence, minus the 8 months already served. He was released in November 2012 after less than 18 months in prison. As far as I know, his wife is still with him and doesn't believe he did all of those horrific things. He has seven kids and I don't know what any of them make of it. It just doesn't seem right that somebody can cause so much damage and get away with 18 months jail time.
Thanks Moonstorm. I still haven't fully made sense of it all, but I could spend years trying to figure it all out. The best thing for me is to accept what happened, not question it (I may not want to now the answers) and get on with my life. My fseamily has been ripped apart enough, it's time to close that chapter and form better relationships with my parents, finally understanding everything I couldn't figure out as a child.
He got three and a half years for 30 counts of rape. The time between the offences and the trial is about 30-40 years. He spent about 8 months on remand and only served half his sentence, minus the 8 months already served. He was released in November 2012 after less than 18 months in prison. As far as I know, his wife is still with him and doesn't believe he did all of those horrific things. He has seven kids and I don't know what any of them make of it. It just doesn't seem right that somebody can cause so much damage and get away with 18 months jail time.
Abby will PM you tomorrow, what I need to say is not for public because it invlolves other people. xx
Abi
What a terrible thing to have happened and you are so brave talking about it. I too have sent you a PM
Abi
What a terrible thing to have happened and you are so brave talking about it. I too have sent you a PM
Abigail you are so brave to share on here and I wish all the best for you and your family