PDA

View Full Version : Folk singer Mary Travers dies, aged 72

Perdita
17-09-2009, 08:42
Folk singer Mary Travers has passed away at the age of 72.

The musician and member of Peter, Paul and Mary died yesterday at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut after suffering from leukaemia for many years.

Bandmate Peter Yarrow said: "I have no idea what it will be like to have no Mary in my world, in my life, or on stage to sing with.

"But I do know there will always be a hole in my heart, a place where she will always exist that will never be filled by any other person. However painful her passing is, I am forever grateful for Mary and her place in my life."

Noel 'Paul' Stookey added: "I am deadened and heartsick beyond words to consider a life without Mary Travers and honoured beyond my wildest dreams to have shared her spirit and her career."

Peter, Paul and Mary were best known for folk hits 'Puff The Magic Dragon', 'If I Had A Hammer', 'Where Have All the Flowers Gone?' and a number of Bob Dylan covers including 'Blowin' In The Wind'.

A message on the group's website read: "After successful recovery from leukaemia through a bone marrow/stem cell transplant, Mary succumbed to the side effects of one of the chemotherapy treatments. We all loved her deeply and will miss her beyond words."

:( RIP Mary

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a177784/folk-singer-mary-travers-dies-aged-72.html

tammyy2j
17-09-2009, 11:57
RIP Mary Travers

sindydoll
17-09-2009, 12:48
saw it on the news but never heard of her! what did she sing

Perdita
17-09-2009, 12:56
The folk group Peter, Paul and Mary were popular in the 60s, try to YouTube them and see whether you like their music. I very much like 'Puff The Magic Dragon' which I believe was meant to be a reference to smoking dope.

sindydoll
17-09-2009, 13:57
The folk group Peter, Paul and Mary were popular in the 60s, try to YouTube them and see whether you like their music. I very much like 'Puff The Magic Dragon' which I believe was meant to be a reference to smoking dope.
yes ive heard of puff the magic dragon and yes it is to do with weed because it was very popular in the 60's wasnt it

Perdita
17-09-2009, 14:02
So I believe but of course, I am far too young to remember *cough cough* :lol:

Chris_2k11
17-09-2009, 14:19
Sad news, RIP.

Katy
17-09-2009, 15:50
very sad news indeed.

RIP Mary

sindydoll
17-09-2009, 21:00
So I believe but of course, I am far too young to remember *cough cough* :lol: it was all that flower power stuff wasnt it

Perdita
18-09-2009, 05:45
Yep. Those were the days, to name it after a record by Mary Hopkins :)