PDA

View Full Version : Charity wristbands

Rain_
05-06-2005, 14:39
I've seen a lot of controvesy surrounding the "ethics" of these bands. Who here owns one? where did you buy it from? And what were your reasons for buying it?

squarelady
05-06-2005, 14:43
I've got a pink one which I got from Dorethy Perkins to support Breast Cancer Care. I brought it because it was a cause I believe in and a charity which I do alot of fundraising for.

I've also got a purple HUG help the aged band which I got from their website. Basically because I wanted to support the campaign to support elderly people because my Grandparents were very important and influential in my life.

I've also got a blue anti bullying wristband. I was bullied and I was a peer supporter and I think stamping out bullying is very important.

I've got a Make Poverty History one from Oxfam too. I haven't been able to get an Anti Racism in sport band but I did want one.

Of course I don't wear them all at the same time but I think they are good for showing your support at particular events. For examples the anti bullying bands in schools. I don't wear mine so often at the moment but I'd wear the pink one if I was doing any charity events :D I think they are a brilliant idea but I've heard that even bullies are wearing the blue bands and that people are buying the anti racism band and cutting up the black one. I think that's a disgrace. They aren't a fashion accessory and it annoys me when they are used in that way.

.:Kitz:.
05-06-2005, 14:56
I've got a pink one which I got from Dorethy Perkins to support Breast Cancer Care. I brought it because it was a cause I believe in and a charity which I do alot of fundraising for.
Same here. And i agree its a disgrace about the bullies wearing the blue bands and people cutting up the black band. Thats just wrong! :thumbsdow

Siobhan
06-06-2005, 11:02
I believe the red one's for childline charity are actually made by kids in 3rd world countries.. that is a disgrace

daisy38
06-06-2005, 11:17
I wear the Blue "Beat Bulling" band, which i got from Radio one, i war it because theres too much violence now a days from young people, the "Make Poverty History" white band which my sister got for me from her school i wear coz of the whole Comic Relief thing (you know what i mean!) and i wear the "Breast Cancer" band for my mum who has breat cancer, i got from the Breast Cancer website. :D

dddMac1
06-06-2005, 11:59
my sister has got just about all of these bands including Make Poverty history

Trinity
06-06-2005, 12:07
My kids have piles of these bands. From what I can understand there is a thriving black market for them in every school with kids paying £5 or more for the ones that are not readily available. It isn't the charity that is making the money!

Amz84
06-06-2005, 12:21
I have got the pink one, blue one, the make poverty history and i have just bought the NSPCC one which is green and available from topshop but it is really small unlike the others that I have.

Treacle
06-06-2005, 16:38
I have nearly all of them but don't wear them all the time and think it's disgrace that kids are selling them and people are cutting up the black band.

Siobhan
06-06-2005, 16:52
Same here. And i agree its a disgrace about the bullies wearing the blue bands and people cutting up the black band. Thats just wrong! :thumbsdow

What are the black bands for and why are they been cut up??

.:Kitz:.
06-06-2005, 17:05
What are the black bands for and why are they been cut up?? on the anti-racist one. There is a white band and a black band joined together and some buggers are cutting the black band off!! :angry:

hannah-mj
06-06-2005, 17:42
i have got an antiracism one (from footlocker) a livestrong one (dunno where from...of my dad) a pink breast cancer one (dorethy perkins) feel the pulse for heart disease (the heart foundation shop - or something like that not sure) and some more but i cant remember really x x x x x x

Siobhan
07-06-2005, 09:06
on the anti-racist one. There is a white band and a black band joined together and some buggers are cutting the black band off!! :angry:

That is just nasty.. why bother buying one then??? Just get a plain white one for another charity.

Meh
07-06-2005, 09:23
When they used to sell for £2, the profit margins were:

Shop: £1.50 profit
Supplier: 40p profit
Charity gets 10p

My bro-in-law owns a shop and he was saying the charities get screwed.

Siobhan
07-06-2005, 09:44

Charity gets 10p

that is stupid and the sad part is that shop is getting their pockets lined as a lot of people don't see them for charity but fashion accessory... If more money went to the charity then it wouldn't be so bad to be use as fashion...

Luna
07-06-2005, 09:51
I have a pink one for breast cancer and bought it off the website. I dont agree with kids selling them and i know a few people who have bought them off non official sites where none of the money goes to charity!!!!

Trinity
07-06-2005, 10:38
And like I said before, the kids at school paying £5 to buy a band off a mate - it's not the charities making a killing!

squarelady
07-06-2005, 10:40
That is just nasty.. why bother buying one then??? Just get a plain white one for another charity.

Because they are racist I 'spose and they think it's funny. I heard it's been happening in schools and that's why in alot of schools they are now banned.

Siobhan
07-06-2005, 10:45
Because they are racist I 'spose and they think it's funny. I heard it's been happening in schools and that's why in alot of schools they are now banned.

this is what i don't understand.. they are obviously very stupid ignorant people.. the bands are for anti-racist charity..by buying the band to cut of the black bit is giving money to a charity they are against....

Trinity
07-06-2005, 10:56
But not if they buy fakes at a market stall, nick them from younger kids or even buy them from kids at school. It really has little to do with charity at this level...

dddMac1
07-06-2005, 15:07

Charity gets 10p

the Charities should of got the whole £2