PDA

View Full Version : Cecelia Ahern books

Abbie
22-08-2009, 20:49
Ive now read all of them and I know quite a few of us on here and have read if not all of them quite a few of them.

So which is your favourite, which is your least fav and which surprised you the most?

I thought we could just use this thread for discussion of her books cos I know in some of them they are confusing and well they are quite different.

And if you havent read them all just pick your fav so far :p

Abbie
22-08-2009, 20:53
My fav is Where rainbows end, as I could not put the book down and I was reading it when I was in America at the time. P.S I love you is a close second

The gift is my least fav as I just didnt like it that much and I was just reading it in the end cos I needed to finish it and not cos I wanted to

Thanks for the memories I found very obvious form the word go....it didnt help that I had watched that documentary of heart transplants

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 20:53
I didn't like the film of PS I Love you as I felt some of the real meaning was lost in the film but I loved the book I found it so touching and well written.
The book Where Rainbows End I lost interest half way through too many twists and turns and going from present time to what happened years before

Abbie
22-08-2009, 20:56
I agree about P.S I ove you the film just was not good enough, I mean if you take yourself away from the book then its a great film and sad, but the book is so much better and sadder I feel

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 21:04
The film is bad.

The book was so touching and well written, if I had lost the love of my life the way that she had I wouldn't know how to carry on. What Gerry did for her leaving her the notes was a nice gesture, it really gave the character Holly a sense of purpose to go on from month to month. Death is pretty hard to deal with without having to worry about the one you love not being their ona day to day basis.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 21:06
I think the worst thing about the film apart from they took it away from Ireland and moved it to america, was they they took away Hollys large family away!!! That annoyed me and they ruined Daniels character

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 21:19
Thats what spoiled it for me when I saw the opening I was thinking the book wasn't set in America! Then it went downhill from then onwards.
Some books should never be made into films especially when the books have been so successful

Abbie
22-08-2009, 21:20
So have you read all her books?

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 21:24
Yes I have and I just realised I mixed 2 of her books up as Where Rainbows end is the one where the 2 friends fall in love? If that is the case I loved that book it wasn't my least favourite by her, my least favourite was a A place called here as it was so long and jumped around too much in the storyline.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 21:27
Yeah that was Where Rainbows end.

A place called here was where she ended up in the place where all lost things go
I liked that one, it was a nice read but I dont know about from that it wasnt much more too it.

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 21:32
Where Rainbows End is a nice love story not as intense as PS I love you but it had me wanting to read on to see what would happen between the 2 characters. Plus I guess it would be odd to fall in love with your best friend especially one you have grown up with over the years.
A Place Called Here always stuck with me for all the wrong reasons I remember when I started reading the book and the character was wondering where the odd socks went I found myself getting bored!

Abbie
22-08-2009, 21:33
Yeah I got bored of A place called here very qucikly but then somewhere down the line I somehow managed to get into it

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 21:44
I never got into, usually when it comes to reading a book I usually can finish the book within a few days. If i'm really into the book then I can finish the book in a day but a place called here took me a month to finish as I got sick and tired of it and I kept leaving the book out then one day I just sat and read it all as I was determined to know how the story ended.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 21:47
Wow, you see I had it on hoilday with me, so It didnt take me that long but otherwise I think it would have.
Im pretty much the same, on hoilday I managed to read a book within 2 days I loved it that much

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 22:05
After reading that book I went onto gritty stuff and headed onto Martina Cole books instead

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:07
Yeah I do like her books but then afterwards you sorta want to read a book thats completly different

I wonder if she will right another book with the same sort of ideas, they always seem to have some magical twist

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 22:11
I think I have had as much as I can take right now of her books I read a place called here last and it left me feeling like I couldn't read anything else she wrote for a while

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:11
My favourite was where rainbows end, that was the one with Rosie wasnt it and the letters, i get confused between that amnd the one with the pink cover about the missing girl, i didnt like that one as much.

I enjoyed Thanks for the memories but i agree with you Abbie, it was rather predicatable and i did enjoy PS I Love you but i dont think it was as good as other people i know made out, they raved about it and i just thought it was pretty average and the film is one of the worst films i have seen. I saw it twice to see if it would improve and it didnt.

I do like her though, i think her books are easy to read and i can get through them quickly. Which is good for me as i can get bored easy.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:12
Well I dont know, I think if you read other types of books then its easy to coem back and read one of hers

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:14
I enjoyed Thanks for the memories but i agree with you Abbie, it was rather predicatable and i did enjoy PS I Love you but i dont think it was as good as other people i know made out, they raved about it and i just thought it was pretty average and the film is one of the worst films i have seen. I saw it twice to see if it would improve and it didnt.

yeah and with Thanks for the memories, its like we knew for ages about the blood tranfusion and it was taking ages for them to meet and it just went on and on......!
I mean I know Where rainbows end, my favourite book ber her, that took ages for them to get together but that one worked for me and I liked the way it was done :D which is why I loved it so much

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 22:15
I feel I have had my fill of her right now I don't mind Sophie Kinsella or Dan Brown

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:16
definitly, it took me an age to read and was determined to finish but it was difficult as it was taking so long for them to meet. Had it have been a TV Show or something i would have changed channel way before the end.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:18
Plus I was dissapointed when they met too

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:20
I was a little as well, plus i was kind of beyond caring.

I have to say when her first book came out i was a bit like well she has only made it because of her father but i had to eat my words a little when i read her books as each one has been based on a good idea, and there are interseting storys which the majority keep you hooked and i like the way she writes byu making you get to know the characters.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:21
Yeah I do like the ideas in them but I prefer some more than others

I was really dissapointed in The Gift

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:24
I havent read the gift, its the only one i havent read,.

I cought it my friend for christmas and she said similar but she said it was easy and in the 10 hour coach journey to Ireland she read it so it saved her from boredom.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:26
yeah I really struggled to read it, I just got bored

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:27
ill probably give that one a miss then.

I also live that there set in Ireland, the majority i can relate to with the big families and things

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:28
Well read it, you might like it, it just wasnt for me

What did everyone think of If you could see me now, we havent mentioned that one yet

Katy
22-08-2009, 22:33
i may try and borrow my friends when im back at uni, see what its like.

I liked that one, thought it was good, i thought it was uinusual fior the age of the characters in it, and a bit of a fairy story which i dont usually like but i really got into this one. I thought she managed to write their emotions really well.

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 22:35
Surprisingly good and not my usual type of book to go for.

Abbie
22-08-2009, 22:37
Yeah I liked it, I just thought it was a very sweet book

Chloe O'brien
22-08-2009, 23:08
I've still to read If they could see me now and The Gift. Favourite was Where Rainbow's End because although you new they would end up together at the end everytime you thought this is it for Rosie and Alex someone or something would put the kibosh up it and you couldn't put it down, I think I read about 9 chapters one night. Least favourite was A place called here I just couldn't get into this book as I did with the others.

Hannelene
23-08-2009, 11:34
Where Rainbows End is a great book, deep down I am a hopeless romantic and I would love it if something like that happened to me :) Real love!

Abbie
23-08-2009, 11:35
I love it how it nearly happens to her own daughter as well

Hannelene
23-08-2009, 11:43
Yes it's a sweet book I wonder if they will ever make this one into a film?

Abbie
23-08-2009, 11:45
Hmmm it would be intersting but theyd have to get different actors for as they get older

Plus the book is written in letters and emails and stuff so would be interesting to see how could make it into a film

Hannelene
23-08-2009, 11:50
It would probably be remade into something like that film- You've got mail.

Abbie
23-08-2009, 11:50
Oh Ive never seen that

Hannelene
23-08-2009, 11:53
It has Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan kind of a continuation of Sleepless in Seattle

Abbie
23-08-2009, 11:59
Oh right, I think I have heard of it

Hannelene
23-08-2009, 12:01
It's not a bad film- watchable