PDA

View Full Version : Teletext to shut down in 2010

Perdita
16-07-2009, 14:53
Teletext will cease all transmissions - analogue and digital - of its main text services including those on ITV, Channel 4 and Five in January 2010.

Parent company Daily Mail and General Trust confirmed original plans to scrap analogue text services in 2012 in line with digital terrestrial switchover have been shelved in favour of an axing of all news and information services.

The Teletext name will live on in the holiday and other commercial services broadcast on Freeview channels 101-107, and the firm's profitable travel websites will continue to operate.

"As anticipated, the continued fragmentation of television audiences and the growth in the use of the internet has resulted in a significant reduction in the audience and volume of commercial activity generated by the television services," Daily Mail and General Trust said in a regulatory news announcement. "In addition, Ofcom has indicated that it is not persuaded of the need for public intervention in the delivery of a public commercial Teletext service beyond 2014 and this has also contributed to the decision to discontinue the public service. Current economic conditions have accelerated this process, leading to today's announcement."

It is understood that up to 70 jobs are at risk as a result of the move.

From Digital Spy

sindydoll
16-07-2009, 16:00
what about the hard of hearing (subtitles)

di marco
16-07-2009, 16:32
im sure subtitles will still be available

.:SpIcYsPy:.
16-07-2009, 17:50
Apart from subtitles I don't use the teletext on those channels, only BBC1 :)

di marco
16-07-2009, 21:45
Apart from subtitles I don't use the teletext on those channels, only BBC1 :)

yeh i prefer the one on the bbc

Abbie
16-07-2009, 22:52
We used to use teletext loads years ago but now like hardly ever, I cant remember the last time we used it

megan999
23-08-2009, 19:04
I like using BBC teletext to look at the weather forecast, check the Lotto numbers, and for local news stories. I will be sad when it's discontinued. :crying:

Abigail
24-08-2009, 11:42
It is understood that up to 70 jobs are at risk as a result of the move.

Most of which will come from the Howden branch of PA Listings in Yorkshire. It wasn't long ago that Howden secured most of the teletext editorial positions.

alan45
24-08-2009, 12:25
I used to use teletext and ceefax a lot. Nowadays most people have access to the internet and can get up to the minute news very easily

Meh
30-08-2009, 12:24
I used to use teletext and ceefax a lot. Nowadays most people have access to the internet and can get up to the minute news very easily

Aye, I remember the days before the net when Teletext/Ceefax where my main news feeds.

Nothing like watching 'live' cricket scores on Ceefax

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 08:08
My friend has just said to me she will be sad to see teletext go but remembers when they used to have a drama on teletext that you could read a daily soap called Park Avenue.