PDA

View Full Version : Simon Cowell to quit X Factor - Exclusive

Perdita
25-06-2009, 06:13
Simon Cowell is set to quit X Factor to launch a billion-pound global TV and entertainment empire.

After five years on the hit show, the music mogul has made it clear to friends that the next series will be his last.

Cowell, 49, plans to join Topshop tycoon Sir Philip Green to create and sell TV formats across the world. One of their first targets could be ITV. An insider said: “Nothing is off limits.”

Cowell has made it clear he wants Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole, 25, to become the new main face of the show, whose other judges are Dannii Minogue and Louis Walsh.

His £20million golden handcuffs deal with ITV ends in December after the next X Factor run, which starts in August.

ITV bosses, aware of his pulling power, are still desperately hoping to persuade him to stay. His outrageous put-downs have helped turn the show into a ratings winner with up to 15 million viewers.

In the process he has become one of the highest paid TV stars in the world with an estimated £120million fortune.

But insiders say Cowell, who is 50 in October, is reviewing his future. Although he wants to continue doing Britain’s Got Talent, he felt something had to give.

A close friend said: “He has found X Factor increasingly draining and it leaves him little time for serious business. Now he’s decided this will be his last series and he’s moving on. In future, he will have a more overseeing role.”

Cowell is said to be excited over his link-up with Sir Philip.

Insiders say they are planning to launch a huge “one-stop” entertainment company to rival anything the big Hollywood studios can come up with.

They will also create shows, manage stars and exploit the rights to existing TV hits.

Simon has a string of big money deals coming up for renewal with ITV, Sony Music and Fox TV in America. Sir Philip, 57, worth £4billion, will help him negotiate new deals under their umb-rella company.

Insiders say the pair have agreed that “nothing is off limits” and will even look at

snapping up ITV. An industry source said: “This is a very big play by two colourful individuals.

“They are already a fearsome pair individually. Put them together and that’s a tough room.

“Simon is very ambitious and is the creative force. Sir Philip is the one who will bang the table and get the deals done.”

It is rumoured that Cowell may also quit American Idol, the cornerstone of Fox TV’s dwindling fortunes in the US.

He has been in talks with 19 Entertainment, which owns the rights to the show, about a new contract after raking in around £35million last year.

The Mirror

Bryan
25-06-2009, 08:37
the x factor will never be the same without him, i dont even know if i'd watch it to be honest!

Siobhan
25-06-2009, 08:58
same here Bry.. even if he is Mr Nasty and you think some of his comment are hateful, you have to admit it is the reason to watch this

lizann
25-06-2009, 10:35
Does anyone actually care about the other judges or their opinions - no only Simon counts - it will be crap without him :thumbsdow

DaVeyWaVey
25-06-2009, 12:36
I agree. Simon Cowell makes up a big part of The X Factor. It will be weird without him and I think my interest in the show would suffer.

Perdita
25-06-2009, 12:56
I am sure I will not be the only one watching at least the first show without him, just to see what is is going to be like. But I am sure that his presence will be sorely missed, he is Mr X Factor, after all. I can see interest in the show without him waning quickly.

tammyy2j
25-06-2009, 13:42
The show would def go downhill without him

Trinity
25-06-2009, 13:44
I don't know if the show itself could survive his departure. TBH, I would not miss it, but I am sure it would be replaced.

Bryan
25-06-2009, 16:00
i suppose when pop idol first came about he was an unkown and it become a hit, someone else could replace him but it will be very weird without him.

tbh if he wants loads and loads of money from the show, he should realise that by leaving it the show will suffer and so will his bank balance as a result. he should stay and see the pounds keep rolling in. i'm sure he doesnt do a fat lot on the show anyways.

Chloe O'brien
26-06-2009, 00:03
The x factor wouldn't be as popular without Simon Cowell. He is Mr X factor love him or loath him viewers tune into the show to hear his nasty remarks. If he decided to call it a day they may as well cancel anymore shows as no-one would watch it without Simon.

Abbie
26-06-2009, 18:59
I read an article about this in a newspaper and it was like 'to rival Disney'

I was like WTF!! They need there heads screwed on or something Dinsey cant be a rival cos its a completely different market

lizann
01-07-2009, 14:02
Simon Cowell's ex-girlfriend Terri Seymour is pleading with her former beau to cut back on his workload - insisting he is too old to maintain his hectic schedule.

The music mogul, who turns 50 this year, has reportedly been offered $143.6 million (£87.6million) to continue his role as a judge on American Idol once his contract runs out next May.

But Cowell's TV host ex fears the star won't have time to enjoy his riches - because he's too busy striving after big bucks to have a social life.

And the beauty believes her former lover - who fronts Idol, as well as U.K. shows X Factor and Britain's Got Talent - will have to give up some of his work commitments in the near future.

She says, "I think all his work is tiring Simon out and he's finding it hard. He'd hate me saying this but he's not as young as he used to be.

"He's got such a tough schedule and at some point one of the shows will have to give. We'll just have to wait and see which one."

This year alone Cowell has started filming X Factor auditions - straight after completing Britain's Got Talent, and a recent season of American Idol.

Abbie
01-07-2009, 16:46
Simon Cowell's ex-girlfriend Terri Seymour is pleading with her former beau to cut back on his workload - insisting he is too old to maintain his hectic schedule.

:rotfl:

sorry but that made me laugh