PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm A Celeb...' star battling deadly bug

Perdita
21-06-2009, 15:43
Former I'm A Celebrity... star Catalina Guirado has revealed that she is battling a potentially deadly bug that she might have caught in the jungle.

The model, who finished seventh on the second season of the show, told The Mirror that she was suffering from Giardia parasites that had severely affected her health.

"I must have got it from I'm A Celeb.... I haven't been anywhere else I could have caught the bug," she explained.

"[The doctor] said it was the worst case she'd ever seen."

Guirado went on to say that she could no longer digest certain foods because of how badly the condition had affected her intestines. She must take 21 pills every day for the next six months, but has been warned that the bugs could still return.

She added: "I've had six years of hell. I know we sign our lives away on these shows. But if I had my time again I would not have gone anywhere near that jungle."

Doctors have suggested that the star most likely contracted the illness through drinking dirty water in the Australian jungle, or while competing in a bushtucker trial that involved a pit of muddy water.

A representative for ITV, which produces the show, said: "The health and safety of contributors is our number one priority. Everyone is monitored rigorously by a medic team during their stay and when they leave the jungle."

:eek:

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 16:18
Wow poor thing!

Pinkbanana
21-06-2009, 16:55
Mmmmm.... sounds terrible. Though going in to a jungle, must have risks that the contestants were told about... Hope the tablets do the trick.

Perdita
21-06-2009, 17:02
Perhaps it is such a rare thing to happen, that the producers never thought of this happening. A friend of mine went to Africa once, I think it was Tanzania, and got very ill with flu type symptoms when he was back home. Eventually he was taken to a tropical diseases hospital where they discovered that a worm had gone into his body under his big toe nail after he dipped his toe into the river. Not something I would have been cautious about before this happened to him.

Pinkbanana
21-06-2009, 17:21
Perhaps it is such a rare thing to happen, that the producers never thought of this happening.

True, and if they told them of every possible horror, they probably wouldnt get anyone to go into the jungle!! :lol:

Perdita
21-06-2009, 17:27
Too right, I would not take part because of all the beasties I know are there, never mind all those that I am not aware of :lol:

StarsOfCCTV
21-06-2009, 17:41
I'm sure they were made aware of the dangers, she was just unlucky. There are risks in every country, but it won't put me off. As long as you make sure you have holiday health insurance.

Katy
21-06-2009, 17:43
i read this in the mirror today, sounds like she has had a terrible time with it. The Poor thing.