PDA

View Full Version : Karen McDonald (Suranne Jones)

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:36
I was sent the following article today:

'It was rumoured last year that Corrie was trying to lure Suranne Jones (who played Karen McDonald) back to the soap with a £100,000 offer for six months.

Lately she's ruled out a return. But a source at Corrie tells me: "We're confident Suranne will return in two years' time when the soap's 50.

"She has indicated to us that she's very interested." Fans will be pleased.'

I have been told that she may return in July 2009 so does this mean trouble ahead for Becky and Steve? What about the wedding? Would you want to see Karen back on Coronation Street?:eek:

SBBB - Next Clue - Lost the plot? All will become clear in 2010.

Chris_2k11
13-06-2009, 23:41
Be great if its true, its not the same without Karen!

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:45
Do you know I really liked her character she had dreams of making her and Steve the 'posh and becks' of the street! She was so funny Becky is a little like her in character but there will only ever be one Karen!

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 23:46
I would like to see Karen back but not at the expense of breaking up Steve and Becky, they're great together much better suited than when he was with Michelle. Don't you think the writers have broken up enough relationships without adding another one.

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:50
Don't mention the Michelle character I am not her biggest fan I hope they don't bring her back as I can't stand her moaning :( The character is never happy.
I like Steve and Becky together as I think they look happy together but if Karen does come back I don't know what that could do to Steve and Becky. I remember when Karen left he was in pieces

Chris_2k11
13-06-2009, 23:51
She was great, I miss her in the factory with all the girls aswell

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:52
Karen + Janice back together again would be great to see!

lizann
14-06-2009, 13:16
Could you imagine Karen and Becky fighting for Steve :lol:

I think the actress who played Karen is doing well in other shows

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 13:18
Becky and Karen fighting would be a dirty catfight! Lots of hair pulling and heated words said.

What is the actress who plays Karen doing now?
Has she had as much successful in her other roles?

Perdita
14-06-2009, 14:41
From Wiki:

In Autumn 2005, Jones starred in an ITV's detective drama series Vincent, with Ray Winstone in the title role, this was Jones' first acting role since leaving Coronation Street the previous year. In the same year she starred on the West End stage in A Few Good Men opposite Rob Lowe and appeared in the musical special Celebrate Oliver! which was screened on BBC1. In 2006, she starred as Snow White in the pantomime Snow White and the Seven Dwarves at the Manchester Opera House alongside Justin Moorhouse and fellow Coronation Street alumnus John Savident. She also appeared in Kay Mellor's Strictly Confidential in which she played a bisexual sex therapist.

On New Year's Day 2007, Jones starred in a Yorkshire and London based black comedy, Dead Clever with Helen Baxendale and Dean Lennox Kelly on ITV 1. She has also been as a guest reporter on the long-running BBC travel programme Holiday alongside Anthony Crank and special guest on an edition of the BBC2 series A Taste of My Life with Nigel Slater which paid tribute to her friend, John Barrowman. In autumn 2007, Jones toured the UK extensively in the premiere stage run of the film Terms of Endearment opposite Linda Gray and she has recently appeared in a number of plays for BBC Radio 4 and the West End showcase of a new musical, The Lost Christmas by Laurence Mark Wythe.

In January 2009, she appeared in 'Unforgiven', a three-part drama on ITV1, where she plays Ruth Slater, a woman released from prison after serving a 15-year prison sentence for the murder of two policemen.[2]

Suranne has returned to the set of Coronation Street as her former character Karen McDonald for a surprise return for and something in stall for Steve McDonald. Her comeback episodes begin airing July 2009.

So she will be back :cheer:

DaVeyWaVey
14-06-2009, 14:43
The last time I seen Suranne Jones in an acting role, was in the three part ITV drama 'Unforgiven' which was shown earlier this year. Haven't seen her in anything else though.

I'm so glad she is returning - Karen was great.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 14:57
Karen was a bundle of fun- life was NEVER boring with her around - one thing she will be happy to see is that Tracy Barlow is no longer around and sniffing around Steve.

Abbie
14-06-2009, 15:40
I agree Karen is great :D

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 19:36
I really want to see what she will be like this time!

tammyy2j
15-06-2009, 10:18
Karen McDonald returning :eek: Hope she returns for Steve and Becky's big second wedding and says she is still hitched to Steve

Perdita
15-06-2009, 14:34
Nah, they got divorced, good and proper. Cost Steve an arm and a leg IIRC.

Hannelene
15-06-2009, 17:55
Karen McDonald returning :eek: Hope she returns for Steve and Becky's big second wedding and says she is still hitched to Steve

No chance as they are divorced :(
But I think she would still carry a touch for him!

parkerman
15-06-2009, 19:09
I'd love to see Karen back. I think both Suranne Jones the actor and Karen the character were two of the best things ever to happen in nearly 50 years of Coronation Street. :thumbsup:

I especially liked the way Karen dealt with Tracey Barlow. Bring it on! :cheer:

Hannelene
15-06-2009, 19:09
She might even deal with Becky in the same way :)

Perdita
28-07-2009, 05:33
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a167703/corries-becky-suranne-wants-50th-return.html

Coronation Street actress Katherine Kelly has revealed that friend and former soap star Suranne Jones is ready to make a return to the ITV show.

This would be great and I am sure that the Corrie bosses will manage for her to return next year. :thumbsup:

Hannelene
28-07-2009, 20:08
I wonder what trouble Karen will bring with her?

Kim
29-07-2009, 01:27
I can't wait for this. I don't often watch Corrie but will definitely be tuning in for this.

Hannelene
29-07-2009, 20:47
I loved her :)
She was just pure fun
Nice to see her and Janice reunited!

Chloe O'brien
29-07-2009, 23:08
Karen was great when she was in the street with Janice at the factory. I just hope she doesn't split Steve and Becky up.

Chris_2k11
30-07-2009, 00:12
I hope she does, Steve and Becky get on my nerves

Hannelene
30-07-2009, 20:38
Who do you think makes the better couple:
Steve and Becky?
Or
Steve and Karen?

Chris_2k11
30-07-2009, 20:47
Steve and Karen by FAR!

Hannelene
30-07-2009, 21:02
I agree I almost feel like Becky is a poor imitation of Karen.

Chloe O'brien
30-07-2009, 22:55
Steve and Karen were a good couple but now Steve is with Becky and they are more suited that Steve and Michelle were. If they are bringing back Karen just to split up Steve and Becky then's it's wrong can't they leave one happy couple on the street.

Hannelene
01-08-2009, 07:16
I knew Karen was coming back
And I loved her character but I can't see how she will fit in again after so much time away. There will be fights with her and Becky that is too predictable but once that happens- what will her character be around for?

alan45
01-08-2009, 12:16
IF Karen comes back I think it may only be for a few episodes as she has a number of significant other projects in hand.

Chris_2k11
01-08-2009, 12:18
Wonder if she knows about Tracy!

alan45
01-08-2009, 13:14

Ah Tracyluv. The wooden actress who is now in the Big House so she is

Hannelene
01-08-2009, 13:33

Ah Tracyluv. The wooden actress who is now in the Big House so she is

That made me laugh!
But I suspect her finding out Tracy is locked up will make her VERY happy

Chris_2k11
01-08-2009, 22:29
LOL I loved the rivalry between them. haha do you remember when Tracy crashed her wedding

Hannelene
01-08-2009, 22:48
Who can forget?
I thought Karen made a beautiful bride
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/bond00/stevekaren2004small.jpg
From viewing this pic I realised how much weight Fiz had lost and how unattractive Andy Mcdonald was back then, hopefully time has been kinder to him when he returns to the show.......

Perdita
16-09-2009, 06:14
Suranne Jones has announced that she is unlikely to return for Coronation Street's 50th anniversary celebrations.

Current Weatherfield star Katherine Kelly (Becky Granger) recently claimed that Jones was hoping to reprise her role as Karen McDonald for the ITV1 show's milestone next year.

However, asked if she will be back in an interview with Holy Soap, Jones replied: "Probably not."

The actress admitted that she doesn't miss "the scheduling and hard work" required for Coronation Street. However, she added that she remains friends with some of her former co-stars, including Simon Gregson, who plays Karen's ex-husband Steve.

She commented: "I speak to Simon all the time and on my phone it comes up as Steve McDonald! I miss the people that I was friends with but I don't think Karen will be coming back."

Yesterday, Kevin Kennedy (Curly Watts) also dismissed rumours of a possible comeback for Corrie's 50th.

Additionally, Chris Bisson, who played Vikram Desai, recently said that he isn't expecting to return for the programme's birthday.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a177533/suranne-corrie-return-is-unlikely.html

lizann
16-09-2009, 16:42
I much prefer Becky and Steve now as a couple

Chris_2k11
16-09-2009, 18:37
No no you can't beat Karen!

Red08
18-09-2009, 16:31
I think Karen beats Becky - her and Steve made a great couple. i think she'll be back with Steve's kid.

Hannelene
19-09-2009, 10:20
Karen was one of a kind I would love to see her back!!
It's not like she is working on other TV projects at the moment.

tammyy2j
18-04-2011, 15:22
Do you think now that Becky is going, they might try and bring Karen back?

Perdita
18-04-2011, 15:35
I would love for her to come back but this is one soap actress who has kept busy with filming other things. I would love to see her wiping the smug look off Tracey's face :p

alan45
18-04-2011, 17:56
Do you think now that Becky is going, they might try and bring Karen back?

I would love for her to come back but this is one soap actress who has kept busy with filming other things. I would love to see her wiping the smug look off Tracey's face :p

I would love her to come back just to see her wipe the floor with Traceyluv. At east she could act, unlike Kate Plank

parkerman
19-04-2011, 08:30
I see Suranne Jones is to appear in the new series of Dr Who....The Daleks had better run for it!

layla
19-04-2011, 21:19
Suranne Jones is a good actress. I don't think she will go short of work. Unlike Kate Ford or Plank as Alan would say. I did like the series her and David Tennent done last year.

alan45
30-05-2011, 16:43
Watched Suranne Jones in Scott and Bailey last night. I quite enjoyed it too. Lets hope its more successful for her than Harley Street. I wonder when the Corrie bosses watch her on TV and compare her with Kate Plank do they realise what a mistake they have made. Oh how I would love to see her return as Karen and sort out Traceyluv

Chloe O'brien
04-06-2011, 19:48
She won't return. Suranne is one of the very few soap actors who has made a career away from soapland. They only come back to soapland when they're skint and can't get work anywhere else.

alan45
04-07-2011, 00:42
What a fantastic last episode of Scott and Bailey last night. Brilliant. Hope there is a new series soon. Just wonder how they intend keeping it all hushed up

moonstorm
04-07-2011, 08:21
Alan, any chance you could give me a quick recap of last nigt, my telly went off half way through it!

Chloe O'brien
04-07-2011, 10:47
Janet returned to work after 3 months off to a surprise party. Rachel told her she was back with Nick the slimeball lawyer. Janet told her Nick was using her to keep her quiet but Rachel didn't belive her, turns out it was true Nick tried to have Rachel run down in a hit and run, another girl was hurt Rachel chased the guy but he was hit by a bus that's how she found out Nick was behind it all. Rachel confessed all to Gil her boss who went mental but Janet conviced her not to sack Rachel as she would have to sack Janet as well. Andy said he was leaving. Janet asked him not too. Cue scene in back alley snogging (YAHOO)

moonstorm
04-07-2011, 11:06
Thanks for the recap Chloe. xx

Dazzle
04-07-2011, 12:51
I too thoroughly enjoyed Scott and Bailey and am hoping for another series.

Perdita
26-07-2011, 11:34
I too thoroughly enjoyed Scott and Bailey and am hoping for another series.

It is happening. :cheer:

ITV1 has recommissioned four of its new drama series.

Vera, Scott & Bailey , Monroe and Case Sensitive will all be returning with new episodes, the channel announced today.

Vera, which stars Brenda Blethyn as a detective, will return with four two-hour films. Filming has already started on the new instalments.

Elsewhere, Scott & Bailey will return next year with eight new episodes. The drama stars Suranne Jones and Lesley Sharp as police officers working together in Manchester and picked up ratings of 5.77m for its finale earlier this month.

The new series of Monroe will focus on neurosurgeon Gabriel Monroe getting used to single life and facing further challenges at work.

James Nesbitt and Sarah Parish will return to the series, along with two "major new additions" to the cast. However, production on the show is not expected to begin until next year.

Meanwhile, Case Sensitive will return with a new two-part story based on Sophie Hannah's novel The Other Half Lives. Darren Boyd and Olivia Williams are due to reprise their roles as DC Simon Waterhouse and DS Charlie Zailer.

ITV's director of drama commissioning Laura Mackie said: "We couldn't be more delighted with the success of Vera, Case Sensitive, Monroe and Scott & Bailey. It's terrific to think we are commissioning the most watched and appreciated original dramas for the ITV1 audience."

ITV has already renewed its drama Kidnap & Ransom and is working on a new one-off film based on the work of Victorian detective Inspector Jack Whicher following the success of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

alan45
26-07-2011, 12:07
Excellent news about Scott and Bailey and Monroe returning. However every time this thread is updated I am disappointed not to read that Suranne is returning to the cobbles

alan45
20-02-2012, 01:23
http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?130498-Scott-and-Bailey-Series-2&p=768367#post768367

tammyy2j
20-02-2012, 11:39
^ Thanks Alan I thought Karen was returning :(

alan45
20-02-2012, 13:12

Unfortunately not. This seemed the most appropriate thread rather than starting yet another new one

Katy
20-02-2012, 18:24
Maybe we start a new thread when the series start. it can be am episode discussion maybe.

lizann
20-02-2012, 22:16
Maybe we start a new thread when the series start. it can be am episode discussion maybe.

Makes sense instead of me always thinking Karen is coming back

alan45
20-02-2012, 23:41

Your wish is my command

http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?130498-Scott-and-Bailey-Series-2&p=768367#post768367

Katy
21-02-2012, 17:59
Thanks Alan! Thats much better. I can no longer get excited then disappointment when i see this threads been updated!

alan45
21-02-2012, 19:29
Thanks Alan! Thats much better. I can no longer get excited then disappointment when i see this threads been updated!At leat next time this thread is updated it will probably Karen returning to punch Traceyluys lights out :D

tammyy2j
22-08-2012, 10:12
CORRIE bosses are *desperate to bring back soap siren Suranne Jones to *Weatherfield’s cobbles.

Suranne, 33, who played Karen MacDonald, left the ITV soap in 2004 but scriptwriters have earmarked her as their prime target for this year’s Christmas shows.

Corrie bosses know her on-screen antics with Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford) andSteve MacDonald (Simon Gregson) are a huge hit with fans and are keen to bring her back.

A Corrie source said: “They’ve been keen to bring Karen back for a while now but Suranne’s been so busy there was no chance of it happening.

“She isn’t filming at the moment so producers are hoping to swoop and get a deal done.

“They’ve earmarked her for the shows to be aired this Christmas and they’re prepared to pay big bucks to get her back.

“It’s hard to believe she’s been away from the show for so long.

“Karen’s certainly got *unfinished business on the Street.”

The soap’s scriptwriters meet several times a month to discuss storylines and potential new characters.

Since leaving the Street Suranne’s career has gone from strength to strength, with roles in ITV’s Vincent, Strictly Confidential and Scott & Bailey.

She has just finished filming The Secret Of Crickley Hall for the BBC, which will air in autumn.

A source close to the star said: “Suranne has never ruled out going back to Coronation Street.

“She only left because she wanted to spread her wings a bit and try out other roles.

“But she enjoyed Corrie and Karen is one of the *characters she has most enjoyed playing.

“It’s certainly something she’ll consider. Facing Tracy Barlow again would be dynamite and a sure ratings hit.”

alan45
22-08-2012, 10:18
I would dearly love to see her returning to the cobbles. She could get rid of three crap characters with a believable storyline. She would make a wonderful landlady for the Rovers, getting rid of St Ella, she hates Tracy so in a fight we all know who would win and as for Michelle well the fact that she was with Steve would be emough to see the end of her.

Sorted.

Use the money that is wasted on those three characters and spend it to bring back Karen/Suranne

alan45
22-08-2012, 10:18

parkerman
22-08-2012, 17:49

Excellent post. But it's been done before....and no doubt will be again.

parkerman
22-08-2012, 17:49

parkerman
22-08-2012, 17:50

See what I mean.

parkerman
22-08-2012, 17:50

alan45
22-08-2012, 18:01

Yes I see what you mean

alan45
22-08-2012, 18:01

Yes I see what you mean

lizann
22-08-2012, 21:53
She is one of the ex soap actors who has done well after Corrie so doubt return now but I would love also to see Karen back

tammyy2j
14-02-2018, 14:30
Suranne Jones is open to returning for charity

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coronation-street/news/a849859/suranne-jones-coronation-street-return-comic-relief-sketch/

swmc66
17-02-2018, 00:15
Can she come back and kill Tracy