PDA

View Full Version : Peter Sissons announces retirement

Perdita
13-06-2009, 11:09
Peter Sissons has announced that he is to retire as a newsreader this summer.

The 66-year-old said that he will concentrate on writing his memoirs, though he did not completely rule out a future return to TV.

Sissons said: "I do feel I'm still on top of my game and I still enjoy it. I don't know how much I'll miss it until I stop but I don't think I'll be sitting in a darkened room.

"I've started my memoirs but I haven't got past the early years yet. I haven't got a title in mind, it doesn't even have a publisher."

He added: "I'm proudest of launching Channel 4 News, which I did for seven years.

"While I was there, it was nominated for a Bafta five years running and won three times. The format we settled on is exactly what you see today. It's still the show to beat."

During his 45-year career, Sissons presented news programmes for Channel 4, BBC and ITN, stepping down from the BBC's Ten O'Clock News in 2003.

The news won't be the same without him but I wish him well for his retirement. Sounds he is going to keep busy. :)

Pinkbanana
13-06-2009, 15:37
Peter Sissons has announced that he is to retire as a newsreader this summer.

The 66-year-old said that he will concentrate on writing his memoirs, though he did not completely rule out a future return to TV.

Sissons said: "I do feel I'm still on top of my game and I still enjoy it. I don't know how much I'll miss it until I stop but I don't think I'll be sitting in a darkened room.

"I've started my memoirs but I haven't got past the early years yet. I haven't got a title in mind, it doesn't even have a publisher."

He added: "I'm proudest of launching Channel 4 News, which I did for seven years.

"While I was there, it was nominated for a Bafta five years running and won three times. The format we settled on is exactly what you see today. It's still the show to beat."

During his 45-year career, Sissons presented news programmes for Channel 4, BBC and ITN, stepping down from the BBC's Ten O'Clock News in 2003.

The news won't be the same without him but I wish him well for his retirement. Sounds he is going to keep busy. :)

I thought he had already retired, as haven't seen him on tv for yonks. :lol:

Perdita
13-06-2009, 15:38
Me thinks you are watching all sorts on tv but the news :lol:

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 19:30
I will miss him :(
I will always remember him for his coverage of Chechnya and the way he would drag out the pronunciation of 'Chechnya'

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 23:26
Good luck to Peter the news won't be the same without him.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 08:37
The news will go downhill without him I liked his serious approach and I liked his accent!