PDA

View Full Version : Vorderman 'outraged' over 'Countdown'

Perdita
10-06-2009, 06:27
Carol Vorderman is "outraged" after Countdown chiefs admitted that the show's presenters are given tips through earpieces, it has been claimed.

Producers recently confirmed that Dictionary Corner experts wear the devices in order to be fed answers to the Channel 4 programme's word puzzles.

Vorderman is now said to be concerned that fans could question her mathematical skills as a result of the revelation.

A source close to the star told The Mirror: "Carol is outraged people might think she wore an earpiece and was told answers through it.

"Carol never wore an earpiece at all when she did the show and she fears she might get tarred by this. All her answers were all her own - she really is that clever!"

Vorderman made her debut as the gameshow's numbers girl in 1982, but was axed last year following a row over pay.

Show bosses released a statement regarding the role of Dictionary Corner regular Susie Dent at the weekend after the use of earpieces was revealed by a Sunday newspaper.

A Channel 4 spokesperson said: "As is common for studio recordings, all presenters, including Susie, are in touch via an earpiece to enable them to communicate with producers on matters ranging from camera directions to timings.

"The producer will sometimes supply extra ideas as there are often multiple options to ensure viewers are given the best possible answers. This has always been the case and we've always been transparent about that."

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 13:36
Why are all these stories coming out now from her?
Can't she just bow out gracefully instead of coming across like a bitter and twisted woman?

Perdita
10-06-2009, 13:38
No, she can't, because she is a bitter and twiested woman.

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 13:44
I read another story about her this week and I think it's a shame that she has had to go to this level to get attention :(
People used to look up to her.

Siobhan
10-06-2009, 13:44
Why are all these stories coming out now from her?
Can't she just bow out gracefully instead of coming across like a bitter and twisted woman?

In her defense if I was me and I actually used my brain, I would be rather peeved if I was tarred with the "she gets the answers in her ear" remarks that are coming out... Carol is very intelligent and she deserves not to be made out like she faked it... Some people value intelligence over beauty

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 13:49
I don't think she is saying that she got the answers in her earpiece but maybe the other people on the show had a helping hand. Maybe Susie Dent in Dictionary corner - I could see this happening as I could never understand how in 30 secs they could find these wierd and wonderful words so quickly.

Perdita
10-06-2009, 13:50
I agree with your comment about her, Shiobhan, but she could have put it a lot better than she did, that is what ladypink and I were commenting on. I am sure she used to work out the maths problems in her head. The programme is edited, so it appears she has the correct answer in an instant, although it could have taken her a little longer to work it out. Some people might not consider this and think it is impossible for her to get the more complicated problems solved so quickly.

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 13:52
No one is knocking Carol's ability to work out maths questions. The problem I can not understand is that for an intelligent woman why does she feel the need to knock the programme that made her famous.
Why not walk away with your held up high then to carry out interviews to generate money? Makes her look bad.

Perdita
10-06-2009, 13:52
I don't think she is saying that she got the answers in her earpiece but maybe the other people on the show had a helping hand. Maybe Susie Dent in Dictionary corner - I could see this happening as I could never understand how in 30 secs they could find these wierd and wonderful words so quickly.

The contestants have 30 secs to come up with words or the maths question, the rest of the programme is edited and could have taken several hours. I don't have a problem with Susie getting help, I am always interested in the words she can come up with and the explanation to the origin of the word too. Don't care how she does it :)

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 13:57

The contestants have 30 secs to come up with words or the maths question, the rest of the programme is edited and could have taken several hours. I don't have a problem with Susie getting help, I am always interested in the words she can come up with and the explanation to the origin of the word too. Don't care how she does it :)

I have always been a little suspicious of 'dictionary corner' now things are making sense!

Katy
10-06-2009, 14:25
I can understand as well while she is doin it, i mean she was on the show for a long time and it was difficult circumstances when she left. but then again if it wasnt for the show then she would have the career that she has got now.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 08:43
Didn't she leave because of pay? Then it seemed that the show's producers proved that she could be replaced possibly for a fraction of the price?

parkerman
14-06-2009, 09:32

I have always been a little suspicious of 'dictionary corner' now things are making sense!
Even if someone else is helping they still have to come up with them in 30 seconds. Also, quite often dictionary corner is beaten by one of the contestants.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 09:45

Even if someone else is helping they still have to come up with them in 30 seconds. Also, quite often dictionary corner is beaten by one of the contestants.

Sometimes but at the end of the day this is only a gameshow. Just a shame to see some of the secrets coming out now after all this time of being on the air.

parkerman
14-06-2009, 10:07
Incidentally, shortly after the announcement was made that Carol was leaving, Richard Digance appeared in a one man show at our local theatre. He said he was disgusted with the way Carol had been treated and would never appear on Countdown again....

Strange, I could have sworn he was on it last week. With friends like that....

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 10:14
Was he really?

That is a shame if he felt so passionately to what had happened he would of stayed away from the show.

Abigail
14-06-2009, 17:55
Carol actually has a third class degree.

Second paragraph (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/degree-classification-have-the-desmond-and-vorderman-had-their-day-516620.html#footer)

...the 2:2 (known as the Desmond Tutu) and the third (famously awarded to Countdown braniac Carol Vorderman)

I don't believe she's as intelligent as she makes out or that she can do the maths challenge in her head in the allotted time. I'm not saying she did get tips but as the show is filmed in bits then edited, it allows lots of time for her to think of different ways of getting the number.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 19:35
I think she is intelligent but these recent stories are making her seem bitter towards the programme that launched her into the mainstream