PDA

View Full Version : Davina: I wanna be an Oprah star

Perdita
26-05-2009, 15:21
DAVINA McCall must have a career death wish — she’s making another chat show.
The Big Brother presenter, slammed for her BBC1 flop three years ago, is aiming to echo Oprah Winfrey’s successful style.

Last night she revealed her new show will be aimed at a daytime audience. It will focus on ordinary people rather than be celebrity-based like her 2006 turkey Davina. That show was pulled after ratings fell to two million.

The mum of three, 41, said of her new venture: “I’m not Oprah, but it’s that kind of thing. You sure are not

“I prefer talking to ordinary people rather than famous people. Davina was crushing and the worst thing was the pity I got from people. I’m still fairly bruised. It was awful and I was glad to have Big Brother to come back to.”

Davina’s new programme will be filmed this year and will air on Five or Sky. She described it as a “multi-platform” show that will also have an “online life”.

It comes after the star dumped her old agent and hired James Grant Management — the people behind Simon Cowell and Ant and Dec’s success.

Her move means that she has pulled out of the race to replace Fern Britton on This Morning. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

She said of the ITV1 daytime show: “It is great, but as a presenter you are produced. I want some control in what I do next.” She is set to host her NINTH Big Brother series this year.

She recently claimed that the show would be axed after next year, saying: “It’s definitely only got two years left.”

But Channel 4 insiders have since said it could run and run.

And if the reality hit continues, Davina hopes to still be the person hosting it.

She said: “I’m staying with the show. I don’t want to leave.

“If it is recommissioned, and I expect it will be after the contract expires next year, I still want to present it. That show has been my constant for the last ten years. I love it and don’t want it to end. I want to present it until I am very old. If I have my way they’ll have me on that stage on my deathbed.”

Davina has come under fire for the way she interviews people who have been evicted from the Big Brother house.

But she defended her style, saying: “People usually think I’m being too soft.

“Friends of mine will often have a go at me about that, and I love that, because it makes me realise how much they care about the programme. But at the end of the day, I work for Big Brother and we asked them to go into that house. I have to get them to answer my questions appropriately.

“I can’t just roast them. It’s not like going on Newsnight where you expect Jeremy Paxman to roast you because that’s what he does.

“We have asked those people to go there, and they’ve given up enormous parts of their life to go in there, and they’ve entertained us.

“I would like to think that I can ask difficult questions.

“But sometimes I like to ask a really difficult question with a bit of a smile.”

No, no no :crying:

Abbie
27-05-2009, 15:57
I must be the only one that likes her!

Pinkbanana
27-05-2009, 17:27
She'll never be in the same league as Oprah! I have to say I find Davina very annoying....:thumbsdow

Abigail
27-05-2009, 20:10
I do too, she irritates me.

Has the audience suddenly changed? Because I don't see any difference between a talk show with celebs (which failed) and one with ordinary people. The fact that I don't like the woman still stands and the new format isn't going to make me tune in.

Chloe O'brien
27-05-2009, 23:21
I must be the only one that likes her!

I like Davina, don't know how she would do as a chat show host though. It would be difficult to take her serious after big brother.

Perdita
28-05-2009, 06:10
She had her own chat show before, it was rubbish, she was rubbish. :thumbsdow:

Jessie Wallace
28-05-2009, 07:12
I like her too, i didn't mind her chat show last time either. Yes she can be a litl ott some times, but can't we all!