PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Hopkins to reprise Lecter role

Perdita
15-05-2009, 15:51
Sir Anthony Hopkins is to reprise his most famous role as Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

Universal has confirmed that a new film will be made, with the Oscar-winning actor and director Ridley Scott both on board, the New York Post reports.

"As far as we know, [this project] is alive," a Universal spokeswoman said. "Anthony Hopkins and Ridley Scott are both very committed. We like what we've got, and the revised script is really, really good."

There was speculation that the latest instalment in the franchise might be scrapped after original Silence Of The Lambs star Jodie Foster bowed out to direct Clare Danes in Flora Plum. Cate Blanchett has been touted as a possible replacement for the role of Clarice Starling.

Director Jonathan Demme and screenwriter Ted Tally, who both won Academy Awards for the first film, reportedly also passed on participating in the new movie.

Hopkins previously played the cannibalistic psychiatrist in Silence Of The Lambs, follow-up Hannibal and prequel Red Dragon.

:cheer: :cheer:

Siobhan
15-05-2009, 15:56
How are they going to do this.. there is only 3 books with Lecter in them and all are movies with Hopkins in it... very strange indeed.. I know at the end of Hannibal the book is totally different, maybe a lead on from there :searchme:

Perdita
15-05-2009, 15:59
Not too bothered about the storyline, another Hannibal with Sir Anthony playing him will be excellent :D

Siobhan
15-05-2009, 16:01
I am a bit worried about it.. Hopkins is a fantastic actor but he was let down badly with his co actors and bad ending in Hannibal.. I would hate to see a great character milked until he is not so great anymore

Pinkbanana
15-05-2009, 21:11
Not too bothered about the storyline, another Hannibal with Sir Anthony playing him will be excellent :D

I think the storyline is important. I agree that Anthony Hopkins will be excellent, lets just hope the film it's self is as good. ;-)

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2009, 01:23
Anthony Hopkins is an excellent actor and he would have the public going to see him whatever film he was in. I just hope the script is worthy of his acting ability. Making anothe Lecter role is fab news as long as they have a strong script to support the story.

Perdita
20-05-2009, 16:38
Universal has denied that Sir Anthony Hopkins is to reprise his role as Hannibal Lecter in a fourth movie.

It had been rumoured that the Oscar-winning actor and director Ridley Scott were on board for a new sequel to The Silence Of The Lambs.

However, Moviehole claims that the report was an old item mistakenly reposted regarding the making of 2001 film Hannibal.

A Universal rep said: "The New York Post website probably reposted a few archived articles, and unfortunately Google has picked this one up, believing it's re-posted date to be the same day the story was written.

"They even quote a Variety article in there - you're going to be hard-pressed to find such an article at Variety after 2001. Bottom Line: It's the old pre-Hannibal story getting another-run again. There's no new movie."

:crying: