PDA

View Full Version : Two more Corrie characters to leave

Perdita
15-05-2009, 15:50
Another two Coronation Street characters are to be written out of the show, Digital Spy can confirm.

Darryl Morton and Vicki Dankowska - played by Jonathan Dixon and Wanda Opalinska - will bow out of the show later this year owing to "natural story progression".

Meanwhile, Nikki Patel (below), who portrays Dev Alahan's (Jimmi Harkishin) daughter Amber Kalirai, will now appear on an "episodic" basis as opposed to an ongoing contractual one. Her storyline will see Amber leave for university in September and make numerous reappearances thereafter.

However, reports claiming that Andrew Whyment (Kirk Sutherland) it to be written out of the Weatherfield soap are unfounded as he recently signed another contract to remain with the show for at least another year.

A spokeswoman for the soap this afternoon told DS: "Some characters will be leaving Coronation Street later this year as part of natural story progression. Characters have always come and gone in Weatherfield, some stay for years, others pass through. This is not about cost cutting it is about storytelling."

Dixon, 20, joined Corrie in March 2007 and is now the only remaining original member of the Morton family - most of whom were axed last year. Polish actress Opalinska, meanwhile, first appeared on the Street in February 2007 and has mainly served as a background character at local knicker factory Underworld.

Other recent or upcoming storyline-based departures include Sharon Duce (Paula Carp), Sophiya Haque (Poppy Morales), Pattie Clare (Mary Taylor), Edward de Souza (Colin Grimshaw), Ayesha Dharker (Tara Mandal) and Andrew Sachs (Ramsay Clegg).

In March, Philip McGinley was written out of the show as his character Tom Kerrigan had 'run his course'.

:crying: :crying: Why, oh why?

lizann
15-05-2009, 15:52
Is Darryl's annoying mother going also?

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2009, 02:04
Darryl and Wanda are going because there is nothing for them to do and they have no family ties left in the street. Hopefully Darryl will take his Mum and the Windass with him.

Katy
16-05-2009, 02:39
I always find corrie have too many characters and thatbis why a lot of them go. There isn't anything the above can add

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2009, 02:51
All the soaps are guilty of bringing in new characters without thinking longtern what they are going to do with them, but a lot has got to do with the actor/actresses ability. For years Norris Cole and The Croppers have had no direct family in the street but they have held their own in the show and they have become well loved as bygone characters such as Hilda Ogden, Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner. To me Corrie would be lost without Norris and Roy, and that is were many soaps go wrong. They need to bring in characters who we either love or hate but we engage with them. If the public don't then the show is doomed.

LostVoodoo
16-05-2009, 05:14
as much as i want her to stay full-time i'm actually quite please Amber is going to uni. it has seemed beyond the wit of soaps like corrie and eastenders to have a young person who manages to work hard and get to university (before having a baby or getting run over or whatever).

tammyy2j
16-05-2009, 18:31
Thank God!

Chris_2k11
17-05-2009, 01:41
Is Darryl's annoying mother going also?I hope shes staying, I think shes hilarious! Shes a proper Corrie character haha

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 02:07
Get rid of the Windass the father is just like Keith Miller and Les Battersby no acting whatsoever. How they appear on screen is what they are like in real life a smelly, scruffy, work shy dole dodger.

Perdita
17-05-2009, 06:14
How do you know they smell and are dole dodgers? :eek:

Chloe O'brien
18-05-2009, 20:08
How do you know they smell and are dole dodgers? :eek:

Because when ever any of them appeared in public away from the shows they dressed, talked and acting the same way they did when they were on screen. There was no effort into their acting skills that's how they were.

Perdita
18-05-2009, 20:24
Which one have you met yourself or seen somewhere

Chloe O'brien
19-05-2009, 22:32
Well they've been at previous soap awards and spoke then. It's just my opinion and I may be wrong but to me they just come across as scruffy and lazy and I think that is how they are in real life not just the roles they play.