PDA

View Full Version : Ant and Dec's 'Takeaway' no more

Perdita
10-05-2009, 11:50
Ant and Dec have decided to scrap Saturday Night Takeaway after seven years, it has been claimed.

The duo chose to lay the ITV1 entertainment show to rest amid fears that its format was losing viewer appeal and becoming too expensive, reports suggest.

They are now said to be in talks for new projects with the broadcaster ahead of negotiations for their contract renewal at the end of the year.

A source told the News Of The World: "Ant and Dec have been involved in discussions about Takeaway and are working on a replacement show. It was their baby and the show they loved the most. They're really going to miss making it.

"But it costs a huge amount to make. The stunts are really expensive and in the credit crunch they can't be justified. The boys are really excited about the new formats though. They are working furiously at the moment to get them just right."

An ITV spokesman confirmed that Takeaway has not been recommissioned, but insisted that no decision on its future had been made.

The variety show ended its most recent run in March with 6m viewers - down from the 9m it was attracting in 2004.

I always enjoyed this show, will miss it :(

Chloe O'brien
12-05-2009, 23:28
Oh goody less Ant and Dec on TV.

Luna
13-05-2009, 12:26
Oh goody less Ant and Dec on TV.

:eek: one of the best saturday noght shows on tv at the moment i'll be gutted if they decide to stop it

DaVeyWaVey
13-05-2009, 13:39
I thought it was starting to get a bit stale anyway, so I think this is the right decision. They should bring back Pokerface as a replacement.

Chris_2k11
17-05-2009, 01:50
The sooner these two are off the tv the better!

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 01:59
Sorry I just can't stand these two I don't find them amusing or entertaining and many a show has been ruined because they have been involved. The sooner these two are of the screen the better.

angel_eyes87
17-05-2009, 02:04
Let the ones who played Max and OB in Hollyoaks take over, they are the next twosome who are entertaining.

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 02:11
Bring back proper entertainment shows like the generation game that doesn't cost millions in prize money. Get Vernon Kay and Alan Carr on a Saturday night.

Perdita
17-05-2009, 06:12
Not sure it is the shows that are so expensive - the presener's wage packets seem to cause a real financial problem in a lot of cases

Chloe O'brien
18-05-2009, 20:13
Yeah but look at the prizes that are given away on these game shows. Thousands of pounds, new cars, Luxury holidays in Australia. They all have to be paid for by someone and the cost lies with the taxpayers.

Perdita
18-05-2009, 20:22
Don't think it is the taxpayer that pays for the prizes, that will be the companies advertising.

angel_eyes87
18-05-2009, 20:25
I say they bring back Crystal Maze, that was brilliant to watch years ago, we do need a good saturday entertainment show.

Chris_2k11
18-05-2009, 21:24
they still show crystal maze on challenge i think

Abigail
18-05-2009, 22:19
Yeah but look at the prizes that are given away on these game shows. Thousands of pounds, new cars, Luxury holidays in Australia. They all have to be paid for by someone and the cost lies with the taxpayers.

Don't think it is the taxpayer that pays for the prizes, that will be the companies advertising.

It's the production companies who pay for the prizes. The company that pays for Takeaway is owned by Ant and Dec. They earn the revenue through the extortionate charges for phone ins.

Chloe O'brien
18-05-2009, 23:04
Whatever way they go around it it's still the tax payers who are having to fork out to pay presenters ridiculous amounts of money for a couple of hours work.