PDA

View Full Version : Liz McClarnon

Perdita
08-05-2009, 08:18
Since Atomic Kitten went their separate ways four years ago, there's little that Liz McClarnon hasn't turned her hand to. Having been crowned winner of Celebrity Masterchef, scored a top five solo single and done numerous presenting jobs, her profile is as high as it was in her CD:UK days. As she prepares to release a new single through the Global One Music initiative, we hooked up with Liz to discuss her plans for the future.

How did your new single, 'Lately', come about?
"It's being released by Global One Music and I'm the vocalist on the English, French and Spanish versions. The song is being released around the world in over 30 different countries on the same day, so it's really quite an innovative and exciting project."

How did you end up being chosen to sing on the UK version?
"A lot of people at Global One really liked my voice and they approached me to see if I'd take part. I thought it seemed like a really nice idea so we went over to Sweden to record it. I really like the idea of linking the world through music because we're so separated nowadays."

Have you met any of the other acts involved?
"I've chatted to some of them on the web but we're all so busy. We all have so many things going on in our separate countries. That's why (rapper) Jaime Jay is featuring with me on the single - because she can do gigs with me. I've known her for years and she's a really funky girl. I think this is going to be a big year for her."

What can we expect from your upcoming solo album?
"It will definitely be a pop album, but I always like to squeeze in a few big ballads like 'Woman In Love'. I guess it sounds a little bit like Atomic Kitten but maybe more current - like The Saturdays. I get on really well with them and really like their stuff. I've also been working with Tinderbox, who have written for Leona Lewis and Rihanna. They're so clever, just really poptastic!"

Why have you left it so long to release a solo album?
"I left my management and record company last year. I literally left everyone behind and started afresh because I felt a little bit stuck in the mud. I wanted something new and got back in touch with an old friend from the label who helped Atomic Kitten right at the start. He has got me everywhere. He totally gets me - I am pop and I want to be sticking to that sort of thing."

Have you been in demand at dinner parties since winning Celebrity Masterchef?
"Yes - and it's getting boring! My boyfriend, my brother and all his friends are always getting me round to cook them up big meals. I don't feel too much pressure in front of a small number of people but it was a lot harder cooking 1,000 free dinners at the Ask Jeeves launch a couple weeks ago. People could always turn around and say, 'That was sh*t', so I was a lot more scared."

What do you think of British food in general?
"I think British food is quite stodgy because of the weather, but these days we take so much from other countries and cultures into our food. For example chicken korma doesn't actually exist in India - it's a British adaptation of curry, so technically it's a British dish. It's the same with tea - it's not really English originally but we all drink it!"

You're also writing a novel at the moment. What's it about?
"It's about a girl in a band who thinks she's lucky to be there because the other two are really gorgeous and lovely. She's a bit tall and uncomfortable in her skin and despite working hard and achieving a lot she still somehow feels that she's been lucky. A lot of it is centred around her trying to find her Mr. Right, which is what the working title of the story is at the moment."

Is it based on your experience of being in Atomic Kitten?
"Some of the stories are things that happened to Atomic Kitten and the three of us. I didn't base the characters on Jenny or Tash though, because they're my friends and I wouldn't want to spill my friends' secrets. There's also a tragic side to the tale – someone gets killed! I'm not very far into the writing process yet. I've mapped it all but filling it out is the hard part. I want it to be perfect so I keep going back over things."

You seem to have so many projects on the go at the moment. Is there anything else you're putting your hand to?
"Well, I've actually got an acting agent and have been approached for a project. I would love to get into films. I know it sounds a bit kn*bby, but I was trained in it, so I would be really intrigued. My ideal genre would be a period drama - I'm quite good at speaking in an old school posh accent. A big budget American high school film would be pretty amazing too. Maybe I could make a film of my book - now there's a plan!"

'Lately' by Liz McClarnon is released on May 18.

I used to love Atomic Kitten and look forward to this single. :thumbsup:

sindydoll
08-05-2009, 12:38
i think it sounds pretty dull! she does a bit of betty boo in it :lol: