PDA

View Full Version : ITV axes South Bank Show

Perdita
07-05-2009, 07:26
ITV is to axe the South Bank Show after more than 30 years next summer, when Melvyn Bragg retires as series editor and presenter.
The 69-year-old will also be stepping down from his executive role at the broadcaster as ITV Studios controller of arts next summer.

The channel confirmed today "there are no plans for a further series" of The South Bank Show, but that ITV "will also be looking at opportunities for new arts programming".

Melvyn, who has presented the show since its launch in January 1978, said: "I have decided to leave ITV at the end of my current contract. Sadly, The South Bank Show will not continue beyond the middle of next year.

"I have had the luck and privilege to work with fine programme-makers and with hundreds of the best artists of the last half century. I look forward to ITV's future arts output and wish it the best of luck."

Katy
07-05-2009, 09:20
aww, i never watched it but i appeared on it once. A lot of programs seem to be getting axed recently.

Perdita
07-05-2009, 10:57
You appeared on The SBS? When and what did you do? :cheer:

Katy
07-05-2009, 11:24
it was a show on Malcolm Arnold a brass band composer and we were picked to play the music, the brass band i was in, we did little interviews and played about 6 pieces that he had written. They were saying how wonderful it was for youth players

It was about 5 years ago i think.

Perdita
07-05-2009, 11:25
Well done :)

Katy
07-05-2009, 16:12
it sounds a lot better, but it was still an acheivement.