PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 12, gives birth to boy

Chloe O'brien
25-04-2009, 23:57
A GIRL aged 12 was being helped by social services staff yesterday after giving birth to a boy.

The mum — barely out of primary school — became pregnant following a one night stand with an older lad.
The pair were not in a relationship. The mum is white, from a broken home and lives in a deprived part of the South West. She was taken to hospital suffering stomach pains and feeling “under the weather”. She did not realise she was expecting.
A family friend said: “It was a shock.
“She had been feeling unwell for a while, fainting. We took her to hospital for tests, and she gave birth. The staff hadn’t even noticed she was pregnant. We were all furious at the nurses for failing to spot it.
“Luckily she is doing well, and so is the baby boy. We do know the father of the baby, and his family. They can’t help what their son did and we don’t blame his parents. I don’t think they’re a couple now, it was just a one off thing.
“It’s something they’re going to have to live with. Social Services will help, but they also need money too.” Family groups said it was another sign of Broken Britain. A spokesperson for the relationships charity Life said: “In Britain today we have children giving birth to children, it is sad.

“We need to empower young people to make wise choices about sex that leads to long term happiness.”
Britain’s youngest mum gave birth two months shy of her 12th birthday in 1996 near Edinburgh. Her boyfriend was charged with having sex with a minor.
The UK has the world’s highest pregnancy rate in under-16s apart from the US.

Abigail
26-04-2009, 02:25
We were all furious at the nurses for failing to spot it.

I don’t think they’re a couple now, it was just a one off thing.

Why didn't the parents spot she was pregnant before she gave birth?

As a parent, I would want to know if my 12 year daughter was still with the father of her baby. Either they are or they aren't, there's no "think" about it.

Trinity
26-04-2009, 09:07
Another case of 'it is someone else's fault'

For a concerned parent not to notice over 9 months that their 12 year old daughter was changing physically like that beggars belief. Except they obviously were not concerned. This 12 year old child was having one night stands and the parents do not even seen concerned about that.

I notice that the M word came up pretty quickly. That is MONEY and not MARRIAGE, although at 12 marriage is a long way away.

If people have children then they should care for them, look after then, guide them and teach them right from wrong.

Some parents seem to think that children are only there to increase their income from the state.

Katy
26-04-2009, 10:46
Another child having a Child, it is very sad, i dont think they realise the consequences when they are that young it is someone you have to look after care for, for the rest of their lives, i know when i was twelve i could'nt really look after myself, not properly anyway not like you would when you are older.

As for the hospital, it happens, it happened to my mate, they didnt realise i think its just something that can happen.

Abigail
26-04-2009, 11:10
I don't blame the nurses for not noticing. How many people would suspect that a 12 year old was in labour?

Pinkbanana
26-04-2009, 12:44
Another case of 'it is someone else's fault'

Some parents seem to think that children are only there to increase their income from the state.

Totally agree with you on both counts! These people are so quick to look at others to blame, yet fail to look at themselves!!! It does make me quite angry. Why blame the nurses? Ask Abigail said why would they suspect a 12 year old girl of being pregnant, or in labour???! If it was my daughter I would be horrified and look to myself as a mother, as to why my 12 year old daughter was having sex and then as to why I hadn't noticed her physically changing... rumbled something serious was up.

These people will be alright though, they know the good old gov (funded by our taxes) will pick up the bill, sooo the boy in question or either family dont have to take responsibility here... the state (cash cow) will provide. :mad:

Abbie
26-04-2009, 15:07
:eek: I honestly dont know what to say

Perdita
29-04-2009, 14:47
I know that times have changed very much since I was 12 years old but I would never have dreamed of having sex at that age. My parents would have knocked my block off if they would have found out. I just don't understand why very young people feel the need to have sex. And what is happening with the father of the little boy - will he be charged with having unlawful sex?

Abigail
30-04-2009, 00:34
If the father is the same age then he probably won''t be charged. Charges will probably only be brought if the father is over 16 and knew she was 12.

Pinkbanana
30-04-2009, 23:05
And what is happening with the father of the little boy - will he be charged with having unlawful sex?

How old was he? If he was underage himself, I reckon not.

Chloe O'brien
30-04-2009, 23:57
It is heartbreaking to think that this is happening to children. My daughter wil be 12 next year and she has been taught sex education at school but is still clueless and innocent there is no way she could cope emotionally if it happened. I would be distraught and have a mental breakdown if it was my child.