PDA

View Full Version : Chris Moyles facing breakfast show axe

Perdita
18-04-2009, 07:36
CONTROVERSIAL CHRIS MOYLES, the self-proclaimed “Saviour of Radio 1”, is on his way OUT of the station’s flagship breakfast show.

He will be axed this year after he becomes the slot’s longest-serving host in September.

Chris, 35, is set to smash TONY BLACKBURN’s record of five years, nine months in the hot-seat.

But BBC bosses want a rising star for the prestigious job amid criticism that the station’s line-up is now too old for its listeners.

Drivetime presenter SCOTT MILLS will be asked to step in while a replacement is readied for the prized post.

A source at Broadcasting House said: “The BBC were planning to break the news gently by convincing Chris it was his decision to quit.

“He will be totally devastated to leave. His ego will take a battering.”

Award-winning Chris, from Leeds, replaced former breakfast host SARA COX in 2004 and quickly brought back a million listeners.

The £630,000-a-year star now regularly draws more than seven million, but has often hit trouble with ill-judged comments — including a “gag” this year about Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz.

A station source said: “He’s been involved in big controversies.

“Patience was beginning to run out.”

Last night a Radio 1 spokesman insisted: “We’ve no plans to take Chris off breakfast. He hosts a highly successful show.”

But when asked how long Chris would stay at the station, the spokesman refused to comment.

And The Sun’s highly-placed source said: “The early plans to introduce a new generation of stars to the station are now under way.

“Chris is still in the dark about the moves behind the scenes, but Scott Mills has been made aware.”

From The Sun

Abigail
18-04-2009, 10:56
Good. I can't stand him and his "jokes"

Luna
18-04-2009, 11:06
aaawwww i love chris in the morning him and aled are the only people that get me through the drive to work in the morning

Luna
18-04-2009, 11:14
The BBC has refuted reports that Chris Moyles will be replaced by a younger star later this year.

The Sun had suggested that the Radio 1 presenter's contract may not be renewed in a move to bring fresh blood to the station.

However, a spokesperson rubbished the claims last night, telling The Daily Telegraph: "There are no plans to take Chris off the Breakfast Show. He has a hugely successful show with over seven million viewers."

Last month, Moyles came under fire for making remarks about singer Will Young's sexuality. He had earlier been forced to apologise for suggesting that Polish people make good prostitutes.

Bryan
18-04-2009, 11:14
scott is no spring chicken himself!

i think it's a good idea, a change of presenters keeps the station fresh and exciting really.

radio 1 have a good mix of hosts, i just wish if they fired any one it would be them two total utter fools Fearne and Reggie, they really are the pits! :sick:

DaVeyWaVey
18-04-2009, 13:40
I like Chris Moyles. I will be sad if he does leave the station - the breakfast show won't be the same without him.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
18-04-2009, 13:42
BBC Radio 1 has denied that it is preparing to remove Chris Moyles from the station's breakfast show.

The Sun newspaper has run a front page story claiming the DJ will be axed in a major reshuffle later this year.

But a BBC spokesperson said there were "no plans to take Chris off the breakfast show".

"He has a hugely successful show with over seven million listeners, and he added more listeners in the last Rajar figures," a statement said.

Moyles took over the flagship slot in January 2004 as the self-styled "saviour of Radio 1".

He has taken the show's audience from 5.5 million listeners a week, when he took over from Sara Cox, to the current level of 7.3 million, according to the Rajar survey.

He is also aiming to become the longest-serving breakfast host in the station's 42-year history.

He must remain until September to beat Tony Blackburn's record of five years and nine months.

Next month, Moyles will defend the crown of best breakfast host at the Sony Radio Academy Awards. He also presents a TV show, Chris Moyles' Quiz Night, for Channel 4.

Abbie
18-04-2009, 16:07
I like him!

And im sorry but I would prefer to listen to him

My parents insist on having radion 2 on on the way to college and what do we get! Bloody Terry Wogan and his awful awful made up stoires. They are very bad and not funny imo, its actually cringey to listen to him

Bad Wolf
18-04-2009, 17:03
awwwww i hope they dont, moyles is ace in the morning- its npt just him the whole team are very funny and entertaining

CrazyLea
18-04-2009, 21:43
Noooo they can't axe Chris !!!! He's the best thing about going to college lmao (listening to it on the bus).. where would we be now without our Barack Obama Bingo.. and other crazy games/song. The whole team is just amazing!!

Chloe O'brien
18-04-2009, 23:32
I like him!

And im sorry but I would prefer to listen to him

My parents insist on having radion 2 on on the way to college and what do we get! Bloody Terry Wogan and his awful awful made up stoires. They are very bad and not funny imo, its actually cringey to listen to him

I agree with you Abbie we have Radio 2 on the radio at work it crap, I usually listen to Real Radio at home. I don't listen to Chris Moyles but he does have a huge fanbase and Radio 1 would be mad to get rid of him.

Bad Wolf
19-04-2009, 08:56
Noooo they can't axe Chris !!!! He's the best thing about going to college lmao (listening to it on the bus).. where would we be now without our Barack Obama Bingo.. and other crazy games/song. The whole team is just amazing!!

the parodies crack me up- dreaming of debbie mcgee etc- did you hear the one she did in reply to his???? is was so cringeworthy!!!!!!

Perdita
03-05-2009, 06:12
GOOD news. Superstar DJ CHRIS MOYLES will sign a new one-year deal with Radio 1. It means the funnyman will remain as the station's breakfast show host until 2010.
The mega-bucks agreement has been signed off by the top dogs at the BBC and ends speculation that Chris would be forced out in September.

In fact, the Beeb have already organised a big bash to celebrate Moylesey becoming Radio 1's longest-serving host.

A top boss at the station told me: "Chris has been crowing about re-signing but it doesn't matter what he says - it's up to us to make that decision.

"Over the last week, we've agreed we definitely want him to carry on. So we are signing a one-year deal with Chris in the coming weeks that will take effect in July.

"Of course we are aware of nurturing young talent like NICK GRIMSHAW and ANNIE MAC. But there is no one who is ready to replace Chris and he's still at the top of his game."

The bad news for the award-winning Leeds lad is that his pay packet is expected to be trimmed slightly. (He's currently on £630,000 a year, so I'm sure he'll manage).

My insider added: "The money side of things are still being thrashed out but it's likely he's going to take a very small pay cut.

"We are in a recession after all - but the cut won't be on the same level as JONATHAN ROSS or GRAHAM NORTON."

Chris replaced SARA COX as host of the Breakfast Show back in 2004. His impact was immediate, increasing the ratings by 2 MILLION.

So my news will be a huge relief for his legion of fans, especially the hardcore who set up all those Save Chris internet groups.

Abbie
03-05-2009, 20:50
yay :D he gets to stay longer

Perdita
04-11-2009, 06:07
Chris Moyles’ reign over the airwaves could end next year in the face of plummeting listeners, the Daily Mail has learnt.
The loud-mouth DJ, who lures seven million viewers to the Radio 1 breakfast show every week, is said to be poised to leave his show in July, when his one-year £494,000 deal comes up for renewal.
Television presenter Vernon Kay, who hosts All Star Family Fortunes for ITV as well as fronting his own Radio 1 show on Saturday, is now seen as the favourite to replace Moyles, 35, who has courted controversy throughout his five-year stint on the breakfast show.
The news comes as it was revealed last week that Moyles’ show, which currently has 7.04 million listeners, saw a drop of almost 700,000 the last quarter.
Mr Kay’s agents are already believed to have been approached and a BBC source said: 'Vernon is extremely popular and the radio bosses love him, no formal offer has been put in yet – there’s still seven months left on Moyles’ deal after all – but he is definitely in the frame.'
Another senior BBC radio source said: 'Moyles is still the saviour of Radio One, but he will go sooner rather than later.
'But it works both ways, he only signed a one-year extension deal as he didn’t want to be tied down, he wanted the freedom to move on.'
Throughout his time at Radio 1, Moyles has been at the centre of a number of controversies following comments made on his show.

Earlier this year Chris Moyles was criticised after making a joke about the Auschwitz concentration camp in relation to his appearance on Who Do You Think You Are?

Last year Moyles was forced to apologise for appearing to suggest on his Radio 1 show that Poles make good prostitutes.
In 2006, Ofcom issued a warning to the BBC after three outbursts in a month. In one he referred to women as 'dirty whores' and, weeks later, used two four-letter words.
He also told a phone-in contestant on his breakfast show that her children were '****ing brats' because they were making too much noise.
In 2002 he offered to take the virginity of Charlotte Church when she became 16. Last year he was accused by academics of being part of a DJ culture that celebrated excessive drinking.

It was revealed that Moyles was paid £630,000 in 2007, however the radio star revealed that he had taken a 20 per cent pay cut this June amid the recession, saying: 'I want to work at the BBC, which is trying to save some of its gazillions.'
On 7 September 2009 Moyles became Radio 1's longest serving breakfast presenter, breaking the record previously set by Tony Blackburn.
Last night, a Radio 1 spokeswoman insisted no plans had yet been made for Moyles’ departure, nor his replacement, saying: 'There is absolutely no truth in this.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1225055/Chris-Moyles-facing-axe-Radio-1--replaced-pal-Vernon-Kay.html#ixzz0VrsjHybN

Abigail
04-11-2009, 12:41
I wouldn't believe a word that the Daily Mail writes. Why would Vernon want an early morning breakfast show when he has two young children?

sindydoll
04-11-2009, 13:55
having two young children does not mean you can work early!!

i dont like that chris moyles i find him irritating