PDA

View Full Version : Deadenders cut Dots scenes

alan45
16-04-2009, 23:50
CASH-hit EastEnders chiefs have slashed scenes involving Dot Cotton — because they can’t afford actress June Brown’s wages.
The soap icon revealed that the BBC show is having to use more scenes involving cheaper, younger actors to survive the credit crunch.

June, 82 — up for a best actress Bafta this month — told The Sun: “I’m not due back until May. It’s to do with the recession. They could afford ten kids and five dogs for the price of me.”

The veteran, who joined the show after its 1985 launch, is believed to have raked in a salary of over £370,000 in recent years.

Like all EastEnders stars, she earns a basic wage boosted by the number of episodes she appears in.

A show insider said: “Using fewer actors per episode is the most effective way of making cuts, but it’s usual for actors to take a break.”

A spokesman added: “EastEnders has to make savings. Every effort goes into continuing to make a high quality show.”

But June has seen her scenes dwindle following the departure of co-stars such as Natalie Cassidy, who played step-granddaughter Sonia.

June said: “Every time I get some family, they take them. Dot has nothing to do. That’s the problem.”

June’s Bafta nod is for an episode last year in which she taped memories for ill husband Jim to listen to in hospital.

She is the first soap actress in the category since Jean Alexander in 1989 for playing Corrie’s Hilda Ogden.

June said: “I won’t even buy a new dress because it doesn’t look right in the recession, does it?”

I have a much better idea. Get rid of the appalling poison dwarf and her wannabe Gangsta son and them they could have the wonderful June Brown in more episodes. At least she is an actress

Chloe O'brien
17-04-2009, 00:16
Alan you can be sent to the tower for those negative comments about Queen Peggy of the Oompa loompa's :lol:

If EE are so strapped for cash why are they bringing back Sam, if they want to save money they need to off-load cast members not add to them.

Siobhan
17-04-2009, 08:24
maybe the comeback people get pittance.. you know, you're desperate to come back so we will pay you minimum.. take it or leave it

alan45
17-04-2009, 08:37
maybe the comeback people get pittance.. you know, you're desperate to come back so we will pay you minimum.. take it or leave it

After her failure on The Bill that would make Louisa Lytton a prime candidate for a return:lol:

Chloe O'brien
19-04-2009, 20:27
Louisa will be playing EE to take her back.

alan45
19-04-2009, 23:42

Maybe she will stay in Holywood after making the American Pie Movie

American Pie V - The girl who couldnt act.

parkerman
20-04-2009, 12:13

Maybe she will stay in Holywood after making the American Pie Movie

American Pie V - The girl who couldnt act.
I bet she couldn't even do that properly. :rolleyes: