PDA

View Full Version : Poo to ee critics

LUSHLOOKE69
02-06-2005, 02:22
Just thought I'd let all my fellow ee fans that ee is definately back on top as heat magazine just published the viewing figures for the week ending the 22nd of May:Eastenders 11.9 million
Coranation street 11.7 million
Hopefully this will put a stop to the critics complaints about the eastenders storylines over the past year and their falling viewing figures I for one have enjoyed many of the past years storylines!

Chris_2k11
02-06-2005, 03:12
Wow, that's certainly increased! Good on EE! :cheer: Back on top form! :bow:

alan45
02-06-2005, 05:02
One swallow does not make a summer

i_luv_dennis
02-06-2005, 08:15
yeah i read that to come on ee

Tamzi
02-06-2005, 08:29
One swallow does not make a summer

So. Ee is getting better, its had people putting them down for ages and now their going back up. So it may just be one figure but it is still better. EE need support not more criticism!
xxx

di marco
02-06-2005, 08:43
So. Ee is getting better, its had people putting them down for ages and now their going back up. So it may just be one figure but it is still better. EE need support not more criticism!
xxx

well said, completely agree :)

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:19
I'm pretty sure heat combine the ratings maybe with the omnibus edition or something like that. EastEnders normally gets around 9 million viewers now. Corrie has dropped from 12-13 to 11, EE has dropped from 11-12 to 9 and Emmerdale has dropped from 9-10 to 7-8. This is because all the viewing figures are down at this time of the year.

This does not mean EE is back on the up though, it still has a long way to go to prove itself before anybody can really say that. However granted there's a definate improvement in the writing although there is still some lame plotlines eg. Mofie. or Molfie whichever term you wish to use.

alan45
02-06-2005, 09:24
I would prefer to see it consistently good for a few weeks before passing judgement. Remember it topped the ratings with the ridiculous return of Den. Then what happened. Wait and see folks. Hopefully the recent improvement will be built upon and then we will have three great soaps to watch.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:25
I disagree alan, Emmerdale is awful. However I wouldn't mind having 2 great soaps to watch - EE & Corrie. I am a Corrie fan but EE holds my interest more especially with the upcoming changes. I'm excited about what they'll do next to get back on the straight and narrow.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 09:26
I would prefer to see it consistently good for a few weeks before passing judgement. Remember it topped the ratings with the ridiculous return of Den. Then what happened. Wait and see folks. Hopefully the recent improvement will be built upon and then we will have three great soaps to watch.

3? i take it you only watch Corrie, Eastender and Emmerdale.. I have to say Home and Away has had some good storyline over the past few weeks/months but as you say.. give EE a few weeks to see if it has pick up from its recent slump..

alan45
02-06-2005, 09:33
I disagree alan, Emmerdale is awful. .

There we go. That just proves it's horses for courses. I am a Corrie Fan but at the minute I think Emmerdale is better. This of course is only a short term thing and probably the Dopey Diggery Story has influence my opinion. In spite of what people my think they know about me I really do want to see all three British Soaps succeed. Sorry but H&A nor Neighbours does anything for me

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:33
3? i take it you only watch Corrie, Eastender and Emmerdale.. I have to say Home and Away has had some good storyline over the past few weeks/months but as you say.. give EE a few weeks to see if it has pick up from its recent slump..
Certainly in 2004 there was times when EE was terrible and reached very low points thanks to a certain LB and I cannot believe how they've managed to keep so many fans and hang on to so many viewers. I'm glad they have though because when it does recover fully they don't have to go to all the hard work of tempting millions of fans back. They've only lost a million or so.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:36
There we go. That just proves it's horses for courses. I am a Corrie Fan but at the minute I think Emmerdale is better. This of course is only a short term thing and probably the Dopey Diggery Story has influence my opinion. In spite of what people my think they know about me I really do want to see all three British Soaps succeed. Sorry but H&A nor Neighbours does anything for me
Well there would be a time (certainly not on this board but on a certain other one) where I would have said you do actually want EastEnders to fail. However if that were the case you would not be prepared to admit that there has been a little improvement of late which you have done.

I don't watch any foreign soaps atall and never have done. There's just too many to keep up with. I also don't watch Family Affairs or Hollyoaks anymore.

I dip in and out of Hollyoaks but at the moment it's astonishingly awful.

callummc
02-06-2005, 09:37
i don't want to burst your bubble but i check the veiwing figures on another site and according to them the barb figures go like this-1-corrie-mon-12-36. 2,corrie-mon-11-37, 3,corrie,wed-11-o5, 4-corrie-sun 10-78, 5 EE -mon -1053 6. corrie,fri-10.40. 7, EE-thurs-9-56 8 emmerdale - mon -9-46 , 9 emmerdale-thurs 8-85 10. EE-fri-8-72. thats the official top 10 for the week ending 22]5]05.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 09:39
There we go. That just proves it's horses for courses. I am a Corrie Fan but at the minute I think Emmerdale is better. This of course is only a short term thing and probably the Dopey Diggery Story has influence my opinion.

I agree, the whole Diggory story is pointless and a waste of time... but I am afraid it will be around for a while longer.. Emmerdale is fast becoming the more popular soap... I guess I got hooked on aussie soaps in the 80's.
There are more that 3 soaps in UK but I know where you are coming from....

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:40
Well all the ratings have dropped. I think that's a fair statement. Normally though EE gets 11 million. It's nothing compared to the 12-13 like Corrie that they used to get however that's not to say they cannot tempt those runaway viewers/fans back.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 09:42
Well all the ratings have dropped. I think that's a fair statement. Normally though EE gets 11 million. It's nothing compared to the 12-13 like Corrie that they used to get however that's not to say they cannot tempt those runaway viewers/fans back.

I don't think Eastender will have a problem with bringing back viewers/fans, but a lot will return because of the poor quality from Corrie at the moment and the promise return of big names to EE..

alan45
02-06-2005, 09:42

Well I know one they are tempting back albeit slowly :angel:

Treacle
02-06-2005, 09:45
Of course EE can survive with a decent audience 10 million or so and good plotlines, look at the well respected Emmerdale, I might not like it at the moment although it's fair to say it's well respected. It doesn't need to be on top in the ratings anyways, they don't reflect the quality of the programme.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 09:58
Well I watch 5 Soaps - Emmedale has had and hass ome very good stroylines and writing as does Home and Away which has been really good lately. Eastenders is definitely on the way up in my opinion and has some very good storylines coming up, but as it has already been said this time of year viewing figures will be down because of the summer and holidays. Every soap and programme goes through it's bad phase, it has happened with Corrie and they have pulled back, Emmerdale has always been an underdog in the 3 main saops war but it is coming forward thick and fast now, as is Family Affairs. Corrie at the moment from my point of view is hitting it's bad patch. It is constantly changing as to who is doing badly and always will.

My ratings at the mo would be:

1. Home and Away
2. Emmerdale
3. Eastenders
4. Family Affairs
5. Corrie

All based on the current running storylines.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 10:00
I don't think Emmerdale has a hope of getting into the same league as Corrie and EE. Emmerdale has just been consistently the underdog for about 10 years now.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:03
It doesn't need to be on top in the ratings anyways, they don't reflect the quality of the programme.

Exactly.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:06
I don't think Emmerdale has a hope of getting into the same league as Corrie and EE. Emmerdale has just been consistently the underdog for about 10 years now.

No it won't. The top soap slots will always beand always has been between Eastenders and Corrie, but the underdogs will continue to come forward more, they have some very good plots and writing. Emmerdale has it's time slot against it. So in short what I'm really getting at is that Eastenders and especially Corrie haven't got it so easy anymore.:)

alan45
02-06-2005, 10:07
I dont think its fair to say that Corrie is hitting it's bad patch at the minute. It certainly has a number of weak storylines going (Diggery, Chesneys Dog) but I think Corries success stems from the fact that there are always at least two or three major storylines running at the same time. Whilst some may see the Shelley/Charlie storyline as dragging on I dont think it is. IT is very realistic and it mirrors what is happening to a very good friend of mine. The slow build up in the affair between Leanne and Danny is another example. EE used to be excellent at this but during the LB/KH eras they went for the quick fix and even the most diehard EE fans have to admit these quick fixes led to the fall in ratings. The little MO and Trevor storyline was a fine example of a long running storyline which was excellent. The Dot Cancer story was a disaster. Compare this to Emmerdales handling of Dianes cancer and you will see what I mean.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:16
Whilst some may see the Shelley/Charlie storyline as dragging on I dont think it is. IT is very realistic and it mirrors what is happening to a very good friend of mine.

I just find it very hard to believe that someone can be so unaware of what is really happening, but then I'm lucky enough so far to have never experienced something so awful.

The slow build up in the affair between Leanne and Danny is another example. EE used to be excellent at this but during the LB/KH eras they went for the quick fix and even the most diehard EE fans have to admit these quick fixes led to the fall in ratings..

I agree I'm all for slow build ups in a new "romance" if it happens too quickly then there is no suspense and the realtionship becomes dull.

The little MO and Trevor storyline was a fine example of a long running storyline which was excellent. The Dot Cancer story was a disaster. Compare this to Emmerdales handling of Dianes cancer and you will see what I mean.

I enjoyed the Dot cancer storyline and found the support that came from Dennis very heart touching, but I understand where you are coming from.

I just feel that Corrie is a bit slow at the mo.

.:Kitz:.
02-06-2005, 10:18
I have to say that Dots cancer storyline was quite, i don't know, it didn't really pull you into the story line. It was quite boring....but thast doesn't mean i don't love dot and jim tho!! its just that story line was not very well portrayed.

Bryan
02-06-2005, 10:21
im so pleased of them high ratings... at last that all im saying

if your getting 11.9 for nothing much... cus not that much is going on atm'

what are they gonna get for shannis return? mitchell return? shannis wedding? den's murder? zoe and sam's exits? alfie's depature? jonny's fire?
jake's return? jake and chrissie's romance? the new love pentagon! (see rumour mill)

corrie can go away, burn chesney (hes useless, just there for people to go awww) cus eastenders is backj on top

i am so pleased,

bondboffin

alan45
02-06-2005, 10:21
I just find it very hard to believe that someone can be so unaware of what is really happening, but then I'm lucky enough so far to have never experienced something so awful.

Unfortunately its true. The person I am referring to has been a friend of ours for over 20yrs and is being manipulated by her live in partner. We can see it as can all her friends and family. She will never let anyone say a bad word about her partner. The similarities between her and Shelley are scary.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 10:23
I dont think its fair to say that Corrie is hitting it's bad patch at the minute. It certainly has a number of weak storylines going (Diggery, Chesneys Dog) but I think Corries success stems from the fact that there are always at least two or three major storylines running at the same time. Whilst some may see the Shelley/Charlie storyline as dragging on I dont think it is. IT is very realistic and it mirrors what is happening to a very good friend of mine. The slow build up in the affair between Leanne and Danny is another example. EE used to be excellent at this but during the LB/KH eras they went for the quick fix and even the most diehard EE fans have to admit these quick fixes led to the fall in ratings. The little MO and Trevor storyline was a fine example of a long running storyline which was excellent. The Dot Cancer story was a disaster. Compare this to Emmerdales handling of Dianes cancer and you will see what I mean.

I think what is getting to me about Corrie is 1) the diggory thing, 2) again Battersby led by Cilla, trying to con someone out of something, money, food etc 3) Sally's affair, thankfully now finished 4) Stories already done by other Soaps i.e sleep with boyfriend's Father to keep as secret and speed dating..

I will agree with the Shelly/Charlie thing, something like that cannot be rushed at all because it does take years for this type of relationship to build.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 10:24
I think it's fair to say Corrie has hit a boring patch and a patch where they are now introducing panto but I'm not sure their recent success story has ended yet.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:27
Unfortunately its true. The person I am referring to has been a friend of ours for over 20yrs and is being manipulated by her live in partner. We can see it as can all her friends and family. She will never let anyone say a bad word about her partner. The similarities between her and Shelley are scary.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It must be very hard for you.
It's true though other people can always see what you can't, I suppose it's being involved with someone and when your in love with them you don't always see the bad only the good..or you might feel there is something wrong and don't want to do anything about it or perhaps too scared to.

alan45
02-06-2005, 10:27
I was watching Corrie on Monday night and the sad thing is that I can relate to some of the characters. I know a couple like Cilla and Les, I know a simple ordinary soul like Claire and I even know someone so like Blanche.

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:35
I was watching Corrie on Monday night and the sad thing is that I can relate to some of the characters. I know a couple like Cilla and Les, I know a simple ordinary soul like Claire and I even know someone so like Blanche.

Oh yes you always find a Cilla! God she is awful but she is a character who I have a love/hate realtionship with! I find that sometimes a situation will reflect my own at times and the weird thing is it always happens at the same time I have a prob etc and the answer is there being aired:) Spooky. I also find that in all the soaps you can do charcter relating I.E Jack/Vera Dot Jim
Blanche is classic.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 10:39
I've known Cilla types but more like the old Cilla's bad mothers etc, she was actually not a bad character when she first started out. Now though they've knocked the panto up a gear.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 10:40
I've known Cilla types but more like the old Cilla's bad mothers etc, she was actually not a bad character when she first started out. Now though they've knocked the panto up a gear.

I have to agree, it has gone a bit panto... but because Corrie will always be one of the top soaps, like EE it will come back...

Babe14
02-06-2005, 10:49
They always do, the "bad spell" just does it's rounds. Doesn't mean that a soap has had it's day, it's just all part of the course.

dddMac1
02-06-2005, 11:44
i really do not like the Critics

callummc
02-06-2005, 11:55
EE has been behind in the ratings since christmas day and to be honest i'm not suprised,yes we've had the odd decent episode but their not consistant so all except loyal veiwers give up,i think ee problem is they give 1 explosive episode and then follow it up with a load of drivel,instead of trying to outdo the other soaps they should just consentrate on improving their own show,also if we look at the ratings kats return has not brought veiwers back,then again i never thought it would,their relying to much on why they thought veiwers were watching

Babe14
02-06-2005, 12:04
Also Eastenders at the mo is concentrating too much on bringing back the old characters and I have just read that Mike Reid maybe returning on a part time basis and he is currently in negotiations. The BBC have made a huge mistake they have started to pay "Old Popular Past" Characters what they want for them to return. So in my opinion as far as old cast returns it will be a case of you paid xyz x amount to come back I want the same or more to make a return. This will defo piss the current cast members right off and may result in some of the new material walking. Eastenders needs to stop this now and just concentrate on creating good storylines and following them up with good plots etc. Put the money into the writing of the show not into the "Past sell by date" material.

alan45
02-06-2005, 12:09
BBC have made a huge mistake they have started to pay "Old Popular Past" Characters what they want for them to return. So in my opinion as far as old cast returns it will be a case of you paid xyz x amount to come back I want the same or more to make a return. This will defo piss the current cast members right off and may result in some of the new material walking. Eastenders needs to stop this now and just concentrate on creating good storylines and following them up with good plots etc. Put the money into the writing of the show not into the "Past sell by date" material.

I agree. The amount of money they are reportedly paying some of these former cast members is if true disgusting. It will only end up as a quick fix if they do not improve the storylines and writing. Yes the return of the overated Mitchel clan will undoubtely result in an increase of viewers. The big thing will be if they can maintain it and indeed build on it

Babe14
02-06-2005, 12:26
Yes the return of the overated Mitchel clan will undoubtely result in an increase of viewers. The big thing will be if they can maintain it and indeed build on it

That's what happened with Den's return a lot of viewers tuned in for his return, myself included, and like me were probably really excited about it. This however was very short lived and ended up in disappointment. Yes the same will happen with the "Mitchell" return but if they are just going to do the same "Thug and lets shove everyone around" storylines it will fail. We want fresh storylines not stale ones. I could be very wrong here, hope I am. Aslo when Old Characters return I've noticed they are not in character, which is to be expected.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 12:26
I agree. The amount of money they are reportedly paying some of these former cast members is if true disgusting. It will only end up as a quick fix if they do not improve the storylines and writing. Yes the return of the overated Mitchel clan will undoubtely result in an increase of viewers. The big thing will be if they can maintain it and indeed build on it

They do need some new characters and build them up. But people will get bored cause they don't warm to them straight away.. it took a while for the Millers to be seen as a good thing..

Babe14
02-06-2005, 12:30
They do need some new characters and build them up. But people will get bored cause they don't warm to them straight away.. it took a while for the Millers to be seen as a good thing..

It does take time to warm to new characters, I couldn't stand the Millers at first but now I like them. It was the same..wait for it...when Jake and Danny first appeared didn't like them..now..well you all know the answer here. When you have new blood in a show it takes time for them to get into character and this is where sometimes our patience gets the better of us and we don't give them a chance.

Treacle
02-06-2005, 12:36
EE has been behind in the ratings since christmas day and to be honest i'm not suprised,yes we've had the odd decent episode but their not consistant so all except loyal veiwers give up,i think ee problem is they give 1 explosive episode and then follow it up with a load of drivel,instead of trying to outdo the other soaps they should just consentrate on improving their own show,also if we look at the ratings kats return has not brought veiwers back,then again i never thought it would,their relying to much on why they thought veiwers were watching
I disagree though. I'm sure the viewing figures don't bother the bosses because they get more than enough and have millions of fans. There is some runaway viewers/fans etc who have been lost but you have to remember the figures are normally down at this time of year to start with. Normally EE still gets 11 million viewers, sometimes even 12.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 12:36
It does take time to warm to new characters, I couldn't stand the Millers at first but now I like them. It was the same..wait for it...when Jake and Danny first appeared didn't like them..now..well you all know the answer here. When you have new blood in a show it takes time for them to get into character and this is where sometimes our patience gets the better of us and we don't give them a chance.

This is exactly what I mean.. it takes time and people are impatient... If old people come back maybe they can bring a new person with them who we can adapt to and get to know... or have someone appear occasionally as a mate of someone in the show and eventually make them permanant...

Babe14
02-06-2005, 12:41
or have someone appear occasionally as a mate of someone in the show and eventually make them permanant...

Those are usually the one which work best. You see them a couple of times and become curious which results in you wanting them in the show. I.E Clint and Sasha. Sasha I took to right away.

stacyefc
02-06-2005, 12:44
heat says that every week that eastenders is top so it must be wrong

Treacle
02-06-2005, 13:12
It adds the viewers for the BBC3 repeat as well that's why. So really they are not wrong, they are just adding the repeat numbers to the number of people who watched the normal episode on BBC1. They don't add onto the Corrie viewing figure so that's always lower.

Incognito
02-06-2005, 13:20
For me, at the moment, Corrie is the better soap. But I find the rivalry between the two soaps funny as I love them both. :cheer:

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 13:49
For me, at the moment, Corrie is the better soap. But I find the rivalry between the two soaps funny as I love them both. :cheer:

As long as the rivalry is done in good fun and nobody takes it seriously.. everyone is entitled to an opinion but you don't have to attack people who don't like the soap you do.. or attack someone for an opinion they have about a particular character.. that is what I love most about these boards, you can have a discussion without it been offensive to others

Bryan
02-06-2005, 15:07
what website do you get tv ratings from?

bondboffin

callummc
02-06-2005, 15:10
well if thats the case EE want to take ee of bbc3 and see what happens then,but if that was the case why havn't ee said as much to the press when they've had to make statements following certain diabolical rtings

Incognito
02-06-2005, 15:13
I don't follow ratings as I think they're a waste of time. Just because one show has higher ratings doesn't prove a thing.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 15:17
well if thats the case EE want to take ee of bbc3 and see what happens then,but if that was the case why havn't ee said as much to the press when they've had to make statements following certain diabolical rtings

as Staceyefc says:

so it is from heat and she is right.. EE is not the top soap everyweek so it doesn't matter if EE take it off BBC3 or not.. Heat don't include corrie repeats

Bryan
02-06-2005, 15:19
its the quality (of show) not the quantity (of viewers)

that will make me feel better if i think of it like that

aslong as enders mantains enough ratings to be saved from chop im fine

bondboffin

p.s: would the BBC really axe its number one show? 20 years of history destroyed? they cnat be as sad as channel 4 with brookie.

besides what would they replace it with: re-runs of Fools n Horses n Kepping Up Appearances

or a boring nature programme with Bill Oddie,

makes me fall asleep at the thought of it. lol

Treacle
02-06-2005, 15:40
EastEnders still has 9-10 million viewers. Later on in the year it will go back up to 11-12. Corrie will go back up to 12-13 and Emmerdale will go back up to 8-9. I don't really see a problem or why viewing figures matter.

Siobhan
02-06-2005, 15:45
EastEnders still has 9-10 million viewers. Later on in the year it will go back up to 11-12. Corrie will go back up to 12-13 and Emmerdale will go back up to 8-9. I don't really see a problem or why viewing figures matter.

it shouldn't and it doesn't matter to me.. I will keep watch EE and corrie regardless. besides, my viewing doesn't count.. I am in Ireland and Corrie is the top show over here.. EE only start about 3 - 4 years ago on the Irish channels so if you didn't have digital/cable you never got to see it anyway

melanielovesdennisrickman
02-06-2005, 17:26
Hiya!!!!!
Yeah,i saw that too today in Heat Magazine!!!!!
I think that EastEnders is really good at the moment,and i will always watch and love EastEnders,no matter what,and if you don't like it,don't watch it,don't watch it,and then moan that it is rubbish!!!!!

Love
:heart: Melanie :heart:

Emma-Lou
02-06-2005, 18:29
I watch Eastenderes and Corrie but i prefer Eastenders.What annoys but about the critics is that they always find something bad tosay about EE and everything good about Corrie.I'm not sure how long ago but Corrie went through a bad patch and it has bounced back so im sure EE will too.

Debs
02-06-2005, 18:37
that the thing about critics they only like t say bad stuff and they love it whenthings are going bad!

i think that eastenders is the best soap out of all of them. in my eyes it wil always be.
it has certainly improved this year

Babe14
03-06-2005, 06:57
that is what I love most about these boards, you can have a discussion without it been offensive to others

Exactly and you don't have to agree to have a good discussion. The best ones are those when you disagree, but do it in a nice way by just stating your opinion and reasons why without being rude or offensive to others. This is the best "site" I have used for this, there is no nonsense here and it seems to be a happy place:)

Alisha
03-06-2005, 08:11
The Dot Cancer story was a disaster. Compare this to Emmerdales handling of Dianes cancer and you will see what I mean.

I'm quite suprised with that as I thought it was one of thier best in 2004. It recieved alot of praise. It was a real life issue and was done brilliantly. I have no compliants over that one.
E'dale and corrie do nothing for me and thier figures haven't been that great either. You don't see the press going off at them. :rolleyes: