PDA

View Full Version : Footloose

tammyy2j
01-04-2009, 12:23
A source close to the remake of the '80s box-office smash Footloose tells EW that the movie-musical is now on hold while Paramount decides whether to move forward without Zac Efron in the lead. Recent Internet reports that Gossip Girl heartthrob Chace Crawford tested for the role last weekend were also denied by the source.

Efron was originally attached to project in the role made famous in 1984 by hip-swivelling bad boy Kevin Bacon. Last week, EW reported that the High School Musical star pulled out of the project after more than a year and a half when his advisers cautioned against doing another musical and becoming pigeonholed before he had the chance to establish himself in a variety of genres. At the time, the studio insisted that that plans for the project were still full steam ahead, with or without Efron: "While Zac is no longer attached, we remain excited and committed to the collective brain trust of Kenny Ortega, Neil Meron, and Craig Zadan, who will reinvigorate the franchise."

EW has now learned that the film is in a definite holding pattern until Paramount makes up its mind whether or not an Efron-free Footloose is a one they want to ultimately bankroll.

Abigail
01-04-2009, 13:51
I love the stage version. I saw it end of last year and it blew me away.

Chloe O'brien
01-04-2009, 22:48
No don't do a remake of Footloose. Zac is too squeaky clean to take on the role that Kevin Bacon had.

Abbie
01-04-2009, 23:00
There doesnt need to be!!!

di marco
02-04-2009, 09:25
ive never seen the film, but the stage version is great. really dont think zac efron should have been chosen for it though

Abbie
02-04-2009, 16:24
You never know he could surprise us

lizann
02-04-2009, 16:49
The original is a cult classic does not need to be remade

Abigail
02-04-2009, 19:59
The original is a cult classic does not need to be remade

I haven't seen the original but I feel the same way about all remakes. They are usually crap.

lizann
03-04-2009, 12:21
Zac Efron confessed to EW.com why he said no to the Footloose remake: He didn't want to be type-cast as the musical guy. In Las Vegas to receive the Showest Breakthrough Performer of the Year award, Efron confirmed what many in the industry had speculated. "I'm sure Footloose would have been a huge challenge," Efron said, "but the actors that I love and the actors that work really hard in this industry are always shaking things up, trying new genres, acquiring new skill sets. That's what's always going to appeal to me: the unknown."

Perdita
04-04-2009, 07:21
Gossip Girl star Chace Crawford has reportedly been plagued by Footloose fans since rumours surfaced that he has auditioned for the Paramount reboot.

The actor, who plays Nate Archibald in the CW drama, was reported to have screen-tested for the movie following Zac Efron's departure last week.

"They had to beef up security because more girls have been showing up to set every day singing 'Footloose' to him. He couldn't take it anymore, so he's leaving town tomorrow," an unnamed source told E! News.

The original Footloose saw Kevin Bacon arrive in a small town where dancing has been outlawed. Earlier, Efron told Entertainment Weekly that he had ditched the movie for fear of being typecast in musical roles.

Representatives for Crawford and the film have declined to comment.

tammyy2j
21-04-2009, 12:59
The planned remake of Footloose has reportedly been thrown into crisis over Chace Crawford's commitments to teen drama Gossip Girl.

The young actor is believed to be in final negotiations to sign on to the project to replace Zac Efron in the role made famous by Kevin Bacon in the 1984 original.

But Crawford is struggling to find time to film the movie because he is already contracted to shoot another series of Gossip Girl in New York, according to E! Online.

A source tells the website, "There's a big overlap of when he'd have to shoot Footloose and the next season of Gossip Girl. Chace may be hiring a big-league attorney to come in and figure out how to make it work."

The remake is currently scheduled to hit cinemas in 2010.

tammyy2j
15-05-2009, 14:27
With Zac Efron out and Chace Crawford and Derek Hough still vying for the role that made Kevin Bacon a star 25 years ago, Paramount Pictures’ planned remake of the 1984 hit Footloose hasn’t attached a star-studded cast just yet.

But its got a release date.

The dance flick will shake its way into theaters on June 18, 2010

Abigail
15-05-2009, 21:09
So they haven't got a lead male but they've set a release date? :confused: Bit strange. They need to get on with the casting otherwise there won't be much time for filming and editing and the release date will be pushed back.

di marco
17-05-2009, 20:43
So they haven't got a lead male but they've set a release date? :confused: Bit strange. They need to get on with the casting otherwise there won't be much time for filming and editing and the release date will be pushed back.

thats what i was thinking, it only gives them just over a year, surely thats not that long when theyve not even cast it yet?!

Perdita
20-05-2009, 12:14
Chace Crawford will lead the cast of Paramount's Footloose remake, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The Gossip Girl star replaces Zac Efron, who dropped out of the project after fearing that he would become typecast in musical roles.

High School Musical 3's Kenny Ortega is directing the Footloose remake based on Jon Hartmere's script. Production is scheduled to begin in March 2010, allowing Crawford to complete work on the next series of Gossip Girl.

Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere has also been rumoured for the movie. She reportedly auditioned for the role of Ariel Moore, a girl who falls for Crawford's rebellious dancer Ren McCormack.

Perdita
20-05-2009, 13:44
Miley Cyrus is the latest actress to be linked to a part in Paramount's remake of Footloose.

According to E! Online, the Hannah Montana star is among the choices being considered for the role of Ariel Moore, a small town girl who falls for rebellious dancer Ren McCormack (Chace Crawford).

"They've expressed interest in Miley for the part," said an unnamed friend, while a production insider added that the 16-year-old is "definitely in the mix".

Other names to have reportedly auditioned for the role include Heroes star Hayden Panettiere, Hairspray actress Amanda Bynes and Dancing With The Stars professional Julianne Hough.

Cyrus is scheduled to begin production on Disney's The Last Song next month.

DS

tammyy2j
20-05-2009, 14:19
Amanda Bynes is a great choice and she is likeable in every role she plays

angel_eyes87
20-05-2009, 17:23
Anyone but Miley Cyrus.

I quite like Amanda Bynes, she hasn't had a movie out for a while.

Abigail
20-05-2009, 19:17
Miley Cyrus seems to be everywhere and anywhere. It's overkill.

Abbie
20-05-2009, 19:18
Miley Cyrus seems to be everywhere and anywhere. It's overkill.

Agreeed

sometimes I wonder how long she will last

angel_eyes87
20-05-2009, 19:35
I'm just waiting for her first time in rehab/jail, because we all know its coming, she is exactly the same as Britney.

Abbie
20-05-2009, 19:38
Yeah thats pretty true

tammyy2j
28-05-2009, 11:05
Chace Crawford will undergo gruelling singing and dancing lessons before the cameras role on his remake of movie musical Footloose.

The Gossip Girl star has signed to take on the role made famous by Kevin Bacon in the 1984 original film, after Zac Efron was forced to pull out.

Crawford has limited musical experience, and director Kenny Ortega admits he'll need coaching before he's ready to take on the role.

Ortega - who is choreographing Michael Jackson's comeback tour - tells Us Weekly, "He really sizzles. He has musicality. We need to work with him on music and dance. There are some big shoes to fill. But he has it in him."

tammyy2j
04-06-2009, 14:27
Chace Crawford has officially inherited Kevin Bacon's Sunday shoes for the Footloose remake, but fitting into those iconic footwear is a different matter.

"He has big shoes to fill!" Kyra Sedgwick, Bacon's wife, tells People.

Nevertheless, Sedgwick says the couple wholeheartedly approves of Crawford's casting as bad boy Ren McCormack. "We're thrilled! [Daughter] Sosie is a big fan," she says. "We met him at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. Kevin and he had a chat. He's very sweet."

Crawford replaced Zac Efron in the role after the actor dropped out to pursue non-musical parts.

Production on Footloose will start in March 2010.

Perdita
19-06-2009, 09:20
Chace Crawford has revealed that the gymnastic training for his latest role has left him "extremely sore".

It was recently announced that the 23-year-old actor will lead the cast of Paramount's Footloose remake. Speaking to People, Crawford admitted that the physical training was harder than he imagined.

"I've started prep for that and I'm extremely sore," he said. "I've been training four days, but I'm extremely sore. It's really intense. We're getting the gymnastics and doing some workouts. I'm learning some basic moves."

He added: "I've got a little rhythm. I'm realising everyday how much of all the nine months [of prep] I'm going to need."

Footloose director Kenny Ortega admitted that he made the Gossip Girl star audition go topless for his new role.

Abigail
19-06-2009, 13:33
Its a big role to throw himself into and learn if he hasn't done gymnastics before. I used to do gymnastics and trampoline when I was younger (with a horrible green leotard) and that was difficult to start with, even as a flexible child.

di marco
21-06-2009, 08:44
Its a big role to throw himself into and learn if he hasn't done gymnastics before. I used to do gymnastics and trampoline when I was younger (with a horrible green leotard) and that was difficult to start with, even as a flexible child.

i agree, ive done gymnastics and trampolining on and off over the years and now do tumbling at cheerleading and it is a really difficult thing to do unless youve been doing it before, unless youre just naturally talented at it which is unlikely for most people

lizann
23-06-2009, 19:28
Dancing With the Stars former champ Julianne Hough is going to have to keep her schedule "loose" for the next few months.

Daily Variety says she'll star opposite Chace Crawford in the remake of the music and dancing-filled film, Footloose. It is contingent of working out scheduling.

This will be her first starring role.

Lennie
24-06-2009, 02:10
I think Julianne is great, she's one of those dancers that is so elegant - i like watching her dancing

Not sure about Chace being Ren, wouldnt have minded Zac Efron coz he's more of a better actor then Chace esp from what i have seen him in Gossip Girl

tammyy2j
27-10-2009, 14:16
Film director Kenny Ortega, whose Michael Jackson concert documentary This Is It opens for a limited engagement, has bowed out of the upcoming Footloose remake.

Known for his work on the teen dance film franchise High School Musical, Ortega parted ways with Footloose studio, Paramount, because of creative differences over budget and tone, according to Variety.

"Coming off the extraordinary project, Michael Jackson's This is It, director Kenny Ortega has decided it is premature for him to commit to his next film and will not be moving forward with Footloose as previously reported," a statement from the director read.

Variety reports Ortega had envisioned the project as one with elaborately staged musical numbers and eyed a $30 million budget, but studio chiefs wanted to de-emphasize the song-and-dance nature of the film in favor of increasing the drama.

The remake of Kevin Bacon's 1984 classic about a teen who rebels against a conservative town's no-dance law, will be headlined by Gossip Girl's Chace Crawford and Dancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough.

The search is on for a new director who can keep pace with Footloose's projected March 2010 production start date.

tammyy2j
13-04-2010, 12:43
Looks like Chace Crawford won’t be filling Kevin Bacon’s shoes after all in the remake of the iconic 1984 movie Footloose. Crawford’s rep has confirmed that the Gossip Girl hottie has backed out of the dance-loving lead in the remake. Sources tell EW.com that the studio is now likely to cast an unknown, possibly launching a nationwide search for the role. (Previously, Zac Efron was attached to the role but dropped out to avoid being typecast as the musicals guy.)

Paramount declined to comment but one source tells EW.com that the culprit this time is Gossip Girl’s shooting schedule. The frothy CW show is scheduled to resume production in July, but Paramount is hoping to get Footloose into production sometime this summer, and Crawford can’t do both at once.

Although Crawford signed on to the film about a year ago, almost everything else about the project has changed since then. About five months after Crawford joined the cast, director Kenny Ortega dropped off the film, saying he was “exhausted” from his frenetic work on the Michael Jackson concert film This is It. Once that happened, the studio abandoned its most recent rewrite from Erin Brockovich screenwriter Susannah Grant. Writer/director Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) penned a rewrite. Brewer’s redo, which some say is closer to the original film — about a town that’s outlawed dance and music — has been fully embraced by Paramount chief Adam Goodman. Sources say Goodman and Co. would like Brewer to direct the film, but Brewer is already committed to helm Mother Trucker for New Regency. Meanwhile, Dancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough is still lined up to portray the lead character’s love interest, portrayed in the original by Lori Singer.

Perdita
13-04-2010, 20:13
Paramount's remake of Footloose has been thrown into doubt after lead actor Chace Crawford reportedly quit the project.

The Gossip Girl actor agreed to star in the role first made famous by Kevin Bacon in the 1984 original after Zac Efron pulled out last year.

The 24-year-old is said to have undergone months of rigourous dance rehearsals to get to grips with the complicated routines, previously saying: "I'm going to need the whole nine months to really get to where I need to be. I have some movement and I'm really happy to learn a lot of new stuff."

However, a spokesperson for Crawford has now told Entertainment Weekly that he has walked away from the movie just weeks before shooting was due to commence.

No reason was given for the decision, but sources added that the star's filming schedule for Gossip Girl had clashed with the picture's projected shoot.

The film also lost its original director last year when Kenny Ortega departed the production.

DS

tammyy2j
23-06-2010, 13:58
Paramount Pictures has found their Ren McCormack — and he’s no one you’ve ever heard of. Newcomer Kenny Wormald won the role after auditioning against thousands of other hopefuls in a worldwide search. Wormald, a Boston native, appeared in the MTV series Dancelife and recently toured with Justin Timberlake. He will join Dancing with the Stars alum Julianne Hough, who will play Ariel, and Dennis Quaid, who joins the cast in the role of Reverend Moore. Writer/director Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) will helm the project that he rewrote after Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega dropped out of the famed 1980s remake last year.

This could be a star-making role for Wormald, as Ren McCormack was for Kevin Bacon back in 1984. Veteran producer Craig Zadan, who produced the original, will also produce the remake. The movie will feature choreography from Jamal Sims, who most recently worked with Madonna on her Sticky & Sweet tour, and will next work for Neil Patrick Harris on his production of Rent at the Hollywood Bowl.

Says Brewer, “I can promise Footloose fans that I will be true to the spirit of the original film. But I still gotta put my own Southern grit into it and kick it into 2011.”

Paramount has set April 1, 2011 for the film’s release. Production is set to begin in August.

tammyy2j
25-08-2010, 10:52
Dennis Quaid has already landed the role of the righteous, rock-music hating reverend in the upcoming Footloose remake. Now, Andie MacDowell has signed on to play his patient wife Vi in writer-director Craig Brewer’s (Hustle and Flow) redo of the 1984 movie about a small town that bans dancing. MacDowell and Quaid have played husband and wife once before, when they co-starred in HBO’s Emmy-nominated 2001 movie Dinner with Friends. The acting vets should be a welcome addition to a cast that boasts relative newbies Kenny Wormald (Center Stage: Turn it Up) and Julianne Hough (Dancing with the Stars) as the teen leads.

Production on the remake is set to begin shortly, with a release date already scheduled for next April.

tammyy2j
22-06-2011, 15:09
Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IU8pnaLXHo

tammyy2j
14-10-2011, 16:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzpuUzLKx4

Katy
14-10-2011, 19:02
i cant wait to see this!

Katy
30-10-2011, 10:23
Considering how long it took them to get ren kenny wormold was really good. I really enjoyed. As a remake i was a bit wary but they had made some changes and it does look great modernised! i also thought that it was brighter than the original which i think is just waht has come with better filming equipment. Julianne Hough was also great.