PDA

View Full Version : The Wire

Bryan
27-03-2009, 20:06
Hit US series The Wire is to be shown on BBC Two, it has been announced.

Led by British actor Dominic West, the critically acclaimed drama shows Baltimore life from drug users to politicians to local journalists.

Although it has been aired in the UK on satellite TV, it will be the first time it has ever aired on terrestrial TV.

All 60 episodes across the show's five seasons will be shown stripped across the week. Transmission dates have yet to be announced.

"We are delighted to offer terrestrial viewers the opportunity to watch this ground-breaking series," Sue Deeks, the BBC's head of series, programme acquisition, said.

"It's a wonderful chance for everyone to see what the critics have been raving about for so long."

'Nothing's close'

Created by David Simon, The Wire's first season tells the story of a single drugs-and-murder police investigation from the point of view of both the police and their targets.

The show, which previously aired in the UK on pay-TV channel FX, has been championed by TV critic Charlie Brooker, who told viewers of his BBC Four show Screenwipe: "Quite simply, it's a stunning piece of work."

Author Irvine Welsh called it "the best thing on TV. By far. Nothing's close to it".

The deal to broadcast the series comes after Channel 4 chief executive Andy Duncan argued the BBC should stop buying shows from overseas and put the cash into original productions instead.

A BBC spokesman said: "The Wire is one of the most acclaimed series in television history. It has not previously been shown on UK free television and in acquiring it the BBC did not compete against any other broadcasters.

"Comedy and drama acquisitions on the BBC such as this make up less than 1.5% of the total primetime output across all four channels.

"The money spent on these programmes is a very cost effective way of bringing original and distinctive shows to UK audiences which complement our UK-originated output."

It starts on BBC Two This Monday, and is on every night of the week, after 11 every night. It might be an I Player job for everyone but i'm deffo gonna watch it as it's got rave reviews!

DaVeyWaVey
28-03-2009, 12:44
I can finally watch this without investing in the DVDs. I've seen the first episode in Media and it was really good. Everyone I know has been raving about it. Can't wait to watch :D

DaVeyWaVey
01-04-2009, 17:10
Anyone been watching this? I like it so far, can't say I've been "drawn in" though yet but there is something that makes me want to watch the next episode. It's a bit slow going at the moment, but according to my media teacher, you get lots of good payback from persevering and giving the show a chance. He describes the programme like "an addictive drug" after the first six episodes :D

The characters are good, the plot is shaping up nicely.. the dialogue isn't too difficult to understand. I don't get what everything is about yet, but I am intrigued. I think the way it's shot is really good - it's like your watching a documentary or something, it's very real.

It's just a shame it's on so late!

di marco
02-04-2009, 09:35
i havent managed to see any of them yet, but i really want to, ill catch up at some point

DaVeyWaVey
03-04-2009, 13:47
I am starting to adore this show! There is one scene which I think is superb, where the two detectives McNulty and Bunk are at a crime scene and the whole five minutes all they are doing is swearing at different times when they discover something. Completely natural but hilarious :D

Bryan
06-04-2009, 13:47
i really couldn't get into this, i know people said you have to give it a few episodes, but i really couldn't be bothered to tell you the truth, plus i player hates to work at home!!!!

i'm sure i'll watch it before i die!

di marco
06-04-2009, 16:03
i havent seen any of them! are they all still on iplayer?

alan45
06-04-2009, 16:09
I recorded all last weeks episodes and although it was a bit slow at starting I am totally hooked on it. It has the makings of a classic like NYPD Blues or the Shield. Well worth sticking with.

Does anyone know if this is the first series.

di marco
06-04-2009, 16:52

i thought i read they were showing all 5 series so im guessing this would be the first one if that is correct

DaVeyWaVey
06-04-2009, 17:28
I recorded all last weeks episodes and although it was a bit slow at starting I am totally hooked on it. It has the makings of a classic like NYPD Blues or the Shield. Well worth sticking with.

Yeah, this is the first series. I am glad there is someone else who is watching. Who are your favourite characters so far?

alan45
06-04-2009, 20:32

Yeah, this is the first series. I am glad there is someone else who is watching. Who are your favourite characters so far?

McNulty and Greggs.

alan45
09-04-2009, 10:41
Just cannot believe how good this series is. It just gets better with every episode. I have acquired all 5 series of it now so am looking forward to watching each and every episode.

alan45
10-04-2009, 22:02
Just finished watching series 1.

B R I L L I A N T