PDA

View Full Version : Oscars 2010

Perdita
26-03-2009, 12:38
Next year's Oscars ceremony has been postponed until March to avoid a clash with the 2010 Winter Olympics.

A spokesperson for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has confirmed that the 82nd annual awards have been moved from the end of February to March 7 in order to avoid coinciding with the sports event.

The Oscars have been held in February since 2004, before which they were staged at the end of March. The Olympics are scheduled to take place in Vancouver from February 12 until February 28, meaning that the movie awards could have faced stiff competition in viewer ratings.

Speaking to AP, Academy representative Leslie Unger said: "It has been [held] in February since [2004], except for one year, in 2006, where the circumstances were the same as next year, to not coincide with the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics."

She explained that nominations ballots would be mailed to members on December 28, with polls closing on January 23 and nominations being announced on February 2.

"In terms of the nominating process, that puts another week in the schedule for members to see movies."

I would rather watch the Oscars than winter olympics, it is only the one night, not as if you were missing the whole of the sport events

lizann
25-06-2009, 11:05
The organisers of the Oscars have doubled up the Best Film category for next year's Academy Awards.

Ten movies will be shortlisted for the big prize at the 82nd Oscars in March.

Explaining the shift, Academy Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis says, "After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year.

"The final outcome, of course, will be the same - one Best Picture winner - but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009."

An average of 10 films competed annually for the top prize for the first 16 years of the Oscars and the last classic to win gold after beating out nine other movies was Casablanca in 1943.

Ganis adds, "Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going allow Academy voters to recognise and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize."

Abbie
26-06-2009, 19:05
Its not like there is a big gap though

tammyy2j
30-10-2009, 11:04
Hugh Jackman has quietly pulled himself out of the running to host the next Oscar ceremony, sources have told Variety. Jackman hosted the Oscars last year but sources told Variety that he didn’t want to host two years in a row.

Hannelene
31-10-2009, 10:00
Not really fussed that is has had to change dates as it will still be shown. It will be nice to see the winter olympics come from such a great place as Vancouver. I can only hope the oscars next year will be good and it will go to actors that can act instead of looking 'pretty'

Perdita
04-11-2009, 05:44
Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin have been confirmed as the co-hosts of the 2010 Academy Awards, reports Deadline Hollywood.

The acting pair will front the ceremony next March. Martin previously presented the 73rd and 75th Academy Awards, earning an Emmy nomination for the first stint. Baldwin was nominated for an Oscar in 2003 in the 'Best Supporting Actor' category.

"I am happy to co-host the Oscars with my enemy Alec Baldwin," said Martin.

Referring to the Pink Panther star's bluegrass band, Baldwin stated: "I don't play the banjo but I'm thrilled to be hosting the Oscars - it's the opportunity of a lifetime."

Ceremony producers Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman added: "Steve will bring the experience of having hosted the show in the past and Alec will be a completely fresh personality for this event."

The 82nd Academy Awards will be broadcast live on March 7 on ABC.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a185096/martin-and-baldwin-to-host-oscars.html

Perdita
04-11-2009, 07:22
Robert Downey Jr and Ben Stiller have declined an offer to host the 2010 Academy Awards as a duo.

Organisers Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman asked the acting pair to share hosting duties for next year's Oscars, reports Deadline Hollywood. However, the Tropic Thunder co-stars both passed.

Hugh Jackman recently turned down the chance to reprise his role as presenter. He instead chose to prepare for his next film Real Steel.

The 82nd Academy Awards will take place on March 7, 2010.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a185093/downey-jr-stiller-turn-down-oscars.html

tammyy2j
04-11-2009, 10:22
Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will co-host the 82nd Annual Academy Awards, the Academy announced Tuesday.

"I am happy to co-host the Oscars with my enemy Alec Baldwin," Martin said of his fellow emcee and and It's Complicated co-star.

The 64-year-old actor, author and musician has hosted the ceremony twice before, garnering an Emmy nomination for his work on the 2001 telecast. This will be Baldwin's first time.

"I don't play the banjo, but I'm thrilled to be hosting the Oscars — it's the opportunity of a lifetime," said Baldwin, who was an Oscar nominee in 2003 for The Cooler.

The 2009 Academy Awards will be produced by former studio head and film producer Bill Mechanic with Adam Shankman, a director, choreographer and So You Think You Can Dance judge.

"We think the team of Steve and Alec are the perfect pair of hosts for the Oscars," Mechanic and Shankman said. "Steve will bring the experience of having hosted the show in the past and Alec will be a completely fresh personality for this event."

The 2010 Oscars will air Sunday, March 7, 2010 on ABC.

should be fun

Perdita
12-11-2009, 11:54
The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has increased the size of the best animated film category at next year's Oscars from three to five.

A record 20 movies have been submitted this year, with Academy rules giving a threshold of 16 films for the shortlist to feature five nominations.

The last time this number was reached was in 2003, when Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away was judged the best of the 17 films that qualified.

Animated movies submitted for consideration at next year's awards include Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pixar's Up and Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr Fox .

Last year's best animated feature gong was won by Pixar's Wall-E.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a186533/five-animated-films-to-get-oscar-nod.html

lizann
18-01-2010, 16:16
Nominations out February 2nd

Perdita
25-01-2010, 10:08
Tina Fey has denied reports that she will be a secret third host at this year's Oscars ceremony.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin have been confirmed as the hosts for the event but rumours suggested that Fey would also join them.

However, Fey told E! News: "I think last week I may have mentioned by accident that I might present. But no, [Alec] and Steve are doing all of it. They can sing and dance and do the whole thing."

Meanwhile, Baldwin admitted that it would be "great" if the speculation had been true.

"It would diminish my workload significantly by at least 20%, because I've got 50," he joked. "I want everyone to call the Academy and ABC TV and demand that Tina be the third host."

The Oscars will be broadcast live on ABC on March 7.

DS

Perdita
27-01-2010, 13:16
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt will reportedly not be attending this year's Academy Awards.

According to Just Jared, the Hollywood couple will be in Europe on business during the annual ceremony, which takes place on March 7.

"They will be out of the country during the Oscars. Angie will be busy shooting The Tourist," alleged an insider.

Jolie is reportedly scheduled to begin filming the thriller, which co-stars Johnny Depp, in Venice next month. Representatives for the couple have yet to comment.

Pitt was recently thought to have purchased a Hollywood bachelor pad amid tabloid rumours about the state of his romance with Jolie. However, sources have suggested that the pair are hoping to stay together despite the speculation

DS

lizann
02-02-2010, 15:08
Best Picture
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up In The Air

Director
James Cameron (Avatar)
Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
Lee Daniels (Precious)
Jason Reitman (Up In The Air)

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
George Clooney (Up In The Air)
Colin Firth (A Single Man)
Morgan Freeman (Invictus)
Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)
Helen Mirren (The Last Station)
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)
Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia)

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon (Invictus)
Woody Harrelson (The Messenger)
Christopher Plummer (The Last Station)
Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)
Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz (Nine)
Vera Farmiga (Up In The Air)
Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart)
Anna Kendrick (Up In The Air)
Mo'Nique (Precious)

Adapted Screenplay
Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell (District 9)
Nick Hornby (An Education)
Armando Iannucci, Simon Blackwell, Jesse Armstrong, Ian Martin, Tony Roche (In The Loop)
Geoffrey Fletcher (Precious)
Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner (Up In The Air)

Original Screenplay
Mark Boal (The Hurt Locker)
Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
Alessandro Camon, Oren Moverman (The Messenger)
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (A Serious Man)
Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, Thomas McCarthy (Up)

Animated Feature
Coraline
Fantastic Mr Fox
The Princess And The Frog
The Secret Of Kells
Up

Best Foreign Language Film
Ajami
El Secreto de Sus Ojos
The Milk Of Sorror
A Prophet
The White Ribbon

Art Direction
The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
Nine
Sherlock Holmes
The Young Victoria

Cinematography
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The White Ribbon

Costume Design
Bright Star
Coco Before Chanel
The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
Nine
The Young Victoria

Documentary Feature
Burma VJ
The Cove
Food, Inc
The Most Dangerous Man In America: Daniel Ellsberg And The Pentagon Papers
Which Way Home

Documentary Short
China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears Of Sichuan Province
The Last Campaign Of Governor Booth Gardner
The Last Truck: Closing Of A GM Plant
Music By Prudence
Rabbit a la Berlin

Editing
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious

Makeup
Il Divo
Star Trek
The Young Victoria

Original Score
James Horner (Avatar)
Alexandre Desplat (Fantastic Mr Fox)
Marco Beltrami, Buck Sanders (The Hurt Locker)
Hans Zimmer (Sherlock Holmes)
Michael Giacchino (Up)

Original Song
'Almost There' (The Princess And The Frog)
'Down In New Orleans' (The Princess And The Frog)
'Loin de Paname' (Paris 36)
'Take It All' (Nine)
'The Weary Kind' (Crazy Heart)

Sound Editing
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Up

Sound Mixing
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Visual Effects
District 9
Star Trek

Animated Short
French Roast
Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
The Lady And The Reaper
Logorama
A Matter Of Loaf And Death

Live Action Short
The Door
Instead Of Abracadabra
Kavi
Miracle Fish
The New Tenants

Perdita
24-02-2010, 07:10
Miley Cyrus has signed up to present at the 2010 Academy Awards, according to reports.

Showbiz Spy understands that the 17-year-old has joined a roster of stars including High School Musical actor Zac Efron at the ceremony.

Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner, Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz are among the stars giving out awards at the glitzy ceremony on March 7.

DS

tammyy2j
26-02-2010, 13:55
The Hurt Locker producer Nicolas Chartier has put the film's Oscar chances in jeopardy after he urged colleagues to vote for the movie at this year's Academy Awards.

The Bafta-winning bomb disposal drama is the favourite in the Best Picture category, but it has become embroiled in controversy after Chartier not only pleaded for votes in an email, but also appeared to criticise the film’s Oscar rival, James Cameron’s Avatar.

He wrote to colleagues, "I hope you liked Hurt Locker and if you did and want us to win, please tell your friends who vote for the Oscars, if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a $500 million film, we need independent movies to win like the movies you and I do, so if you believe The Hurt Locker is the best movie of 2010, help us!

"I'm sure you know plenty of people you've worked with who are Academy members whether a publicist, a writer, a sound engineer, please take 5 minutes and contact them. Please call one or two persons, everything will help!"

However, Chartier was left red-faced after he was forced to issue a second email apologising for his tactics.

"My email to you was out of line and not in the spirit of the celebration of cinema that this acknowledgement is. I was even more wrong, both personally and professionally, to ask for your help in encouraging others to vote for the film and to comment on another movie. As passionate as I am about the film we made, this was an extremely inappropriate email to send, and something that the Academy strongly disapproves of in the rules. I truly apologise to anyone I have offended.

"My naivety, ignorance of the rules and plain stupidity as a first-time nominee is not an excuse for this behaviour and I strongly regret it. Being nominated for an Academy Award is the ultimate honour and I should have taken the time to read the rules."

Oscar bosses released the following statement, "The original email was indeed a violation of the Academy's campaign regulations. Any announcement about any action the Academy might choose to take will not come until after balloting has closed on Tuesday (March 2nd)."

The Academy Awards will take place on March 7.

tammyy2j
03-03-2010, 11:29
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences banned Hurt Locker producer Nicholas Chartier from attending Sunday's ceremony because he violated Academy campaigning standards with an e-mail urging voters to support his film over Avatar, the Academy announced Tuesday.

The Academy has strict rules against "casting a negative or derogatory light on a competing film," it said in a statement. Chartier has since apologized for the e-mail, which encouraged voters to support The Hurt Locker over Avatar, which he described as "a $500 million film."
"My naiveté, ignorance of the rules and plain stupidity as a first-time nominee is not an excuse for this behavior and I strongly regret it," Chartier said in an e-mail obtained by The Associated Press. "Being nominated for an Academy Award is the ultimate honor and I should have taken the time to read the rules."

Although he has been barred from attending the telecast, Chartier will still receive a statue if The Hurt Locker wins best picture.

Perdita
04-03-2010, 06:38
Sacha Baron Cohen's planned sketch at the forthcoming Academy Awards has reportedly been axed due to concerns that it would offend 'Best Director' nominee James Cameron.

Despite Oscar producer Adam Shankman recently admitting that the Brüno star had been first choice to host the event, he was ultimately passed over by organisers following fears that he would be too controversial, although he was later given a slot presenting an award.

However, Cohen's scheduled skit with Ben Stiller is now thought to have been cut by organiser Bill Mechanic to avoid upsetting Cameron.

The Borat actor had allegedly wanted to walk on stage dressed in an Avatar-esque alien costume, jabbering at the audience as Stiller 'translated' his speech - which was to reveal that he is pregnant with Cameron's love child.

Cohen's spokesperson told NYMag: "I hate to use the term, because it's so ubiquitous, but there were creative differences."

An Oscar source added: "Let's just say that Cameron isn't known to be, shall we say, self-deprecating."

DS

tammyy2j
05-03-2010, 12:21
http://new.blog.imdb.net/files/2010/03/oscars.jpg

cant wait

Perdita
06-03-2010, 15:20
Matt Damon has said that he plans to throw a tantrum if he does not win in his category at the Academy Awards.

The actor is nominated for his supporting role as Francois Pienaar in the film Invictus. Damon is up against actors Woody Harrelson, Christopher Plummer, Stanley Tucci and Christoph Waltz.

The movie star has said that he expects to be trumped by Waltz, for his role in The Last Station, and has already formulated a reaction when the German actor's name is read out.

"I'm waiting for the losing actor to have the courage to just go 'F**k!'" Damon told Wenn. "When the camera pans on him. If I have the balls you'll see me do it on March 7."

However, Damon also claimed that he has a competition with friend Stanley Tucci as to who can look more gracious when Waltz's name is called.

"I emailed Stanley Tucci. We have a contest to see who could look more magnanimous when Christoph Waltz wins!"

The 82nd Academy Awards will air on the ABC network this Sunday at 8 pm EST.

Perdita
08-03-2010, 06:07
Academy Awards 2010 winners.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:
Christoph Waltz
(Inglourious Basterds)

Best Animated Feature Film:
Up
(Directed by Pete Docter)

Best Original Song:
“The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)”
Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett
(Crazy Heart)

Best Original Screenplay:
The Hurt Locker
(Mark Boal)

Best Animated Short Film:
Logorama
(Directed by Nicolas Schmerkin)

Best Documentary Short:
Music by Prudence
(Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett)

Best Live Action Short Film:
The New Tenants
(Joachim Back and Tivi Magnusson)

Best Makeup:
Star Trek
(Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire
(Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:
Mo’Nique
(Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire)

Best Art Direction:
(Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg – Art Direction; Kim Sinclair – Set Decoration)

Best Costume Design:
The Young Victoria
(Sandy Powell)

Best Sound Editing:
The Hurt Locker
(Paul N.J. Ottosson)

Best Sound Mixing:
The Hurt Locker
(Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett)

Best Cinematography:
(Mauro Fiore)

Best Original Score:
Up
(Michael Giacchino)

Best Visual Effects:
(Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones)

Best Documentary Feature:
The Cove
(Louie Psihoyos and Fisher Stevens)

Best Film Editing:
The Hurt Locker
(Bob Murawski and Chris Innis)

Best Foreign Language Film:
The Secret in Their Eyes (El Secreto de Sus Ojos)
Argentina
(Directed by Juan José Campanella)

Best Actor in a Leading Role:
Jeff Bridges
(Crazy Heart)

Best Actress in a Leading Role:
Sandra Bullock
(The Blind Side)

Best Film
Kathryn Bigelow
(The Hurt Locker)

tammyy2j