PDA

View Full Version : Julie Walters to play Mo Mowlam

alan45
26-03-2009, 09:45
A new drama based on the life of former Northern Ireland Secretary of State Mo Mowlam is to be televised next year.

The plain speaking politician, who died in August 2005 aged 55, will be played by Oscar-nominated actress Julie Walters.

Written by Neil McKay, whose credits include ‘See No Evil: The Moors Murders’, the drama which will be aired next summer and is based on extensive research including interviews with Mowlam’s family, colleagues and key players in the peace process such as Martin McGuinness and David Trimble.

Liza Marshall, head of drama at Channel 4, said the show aimed to depict the politician and woman behind the public persona.

“Mo Mowlam is one of the most inspiring figures of our recent political past and I can’t think of an actress who could more powerfully capture her energy and wit than Julie Walters.

“It’s a brilliant part and she will play it incredibly well. I think it will be quite a challenge for her, but we have a fantastic director called Philip Martin, who has directed Helen Mirren, and I think he will do a fantastic job with her.

“Mo was such an amazing figure and was quite outrageous in some of the things she did, so I think that the comic element of Julie’s acting ability will serve her really well,” she said.

Mowlam, famous for her wit, honesty and easy going attitude, rose to prominence during Tony Blair’s New Labour Government. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 1997 — just before taking office. She survived the illness, however, some of the treatments meant the loss of most of her hair. She did wear a wig but famously took it off in meetings claiming it was “such a bother”.

During her time as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Mowlam courted controversy after visiting loyalist inmates at the Maze Prison. She did, however, become one of the most popular ministers, winning the confidence of both nationalists and unionists.

Chloe O'brien
26-03-2009, 12:01
Julie Walters is an excellent choice to play Mo Mowlam. I look forward to seeing this.

Perdita
26-03-2009, 12:05
I agree, I think she will make an excellent job of it.

Pinkbanana
26-03-2009, 22:21
Mo Mowlan is a heroooo of mine - cant wait to see this. :thumbsup: