PDA

View Full Version : 'Enders Christian 'not a gay stereotype'

Perdita
26-03-2009, 05:51
John Partridge has claimed that his EastEnders character Christian is not stereotypically gay.

The actor revealed that he is specifically dressed in more flamboyant clothing to emphasise his sexuality.

"Christian wears slightly brighter colours than I would normally wear, but, you know, it is a BBC show and we have to show that I am gay," he told PA.

"I don't think it's stereotypical at all because there are what I call seven shades of gay, and that goes from real straight acting to camp, and I like to think that Christian has all of those elements, as I do as a gay man."

Partridge added that viewers could expect to see some more dramatic storylines involving Christian in the near future.

"There's lots coming up for Christian right now. Of course I am really not at liberty to say what's coming up, but there is quite an exciting storyline for me coming up so I am really looking forward to that," he said.

On joining the show in 2007, Partridge claimed that scriptwriters would be "stupid" in trying to copy Coronation Street character Sean Tully.

I am looking forward to more storylines with him, he is a great character.

Lysette
26-03-2009, 12:29
i don't think he's steriotypically gay lol
all gay people arent the same
depends on what your into and what you wear to be honest.

LostVoodoo
26-03-2009, 21:18
i think Christian is a great character but that the BBC do fall back on assumptions about gay people sometimes, such as his clubbing obsession. and i also don't like the way they often seem to be saying he is promiscuous because he is gay.

Perdita
27-03-2009, 06:26
He is single, so why should he not go clubbing and have relationships? I don't think that has anything to do with him being gay, just the portrayal of a single guy, regardless of his sexuality.

Dutchgirl
01-04-2009, 14:06
Well I think Christian is a fab character. And gay men do tend to be a bit more on the conquering path than other men. Because they can. And I do know what I'm talking about. I'm related to one. But set aside Christian is fun and I never watch Coronation street so I do not know the other character. But I really hope Christian is here to stay.