PDA

View Full Version : Fern Britton leaving This Morning

Perdita
25-03-2009, 15:04
It has been announced that Fern Britton is leaving This Morning to pursue other avenues and spend more time with her family.

Her last day on This Morning will be on July 17th, which is also her birthday.

I wonder who they will get in to replace her. I hope it is not Ruth Landsford on a full-time basis, I can't take to her at all.

SBBB - Next Clue - Two mouthy ladies, locked in a room. What a twist!

sindydoll
25-03-2009, 15:17
all the lies finished fern! anyway this morning is getting axed isnt it?

Luna
25-03-2009, 15:44
aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww i love fern!!!

Debs
25-03-2009, 16:40
i couldnt imagine it without fern and phil :( i love fern!!!

and god that ruth woman, i dont even watch it when shes on!!

sindydoll
25-03-2009, 20:17
aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww i love fern!!!
i like fern myself she was good at her job

Abbie
25-03-2009, 20:34
Awwwww! It wont be This Morning without her

Abigail
26-03-2009, 01:05
I only watch This Morning when Phil and Fern are on. Ruth and Eamon just don't cut it, they don't have the relationship like Phil and Fern do.

Perdita
26-03-2009, 10:06
Fern Britton left her job as a co-host of This Morning because of her pay gap with Phillip Schofield, it has been claimed.

Britton quit the ITV show yesterday and said that she was looking forward to doing other things and spending more time with her family.

However, the presenter is said to be unhappy that she has not been given other high-profile television jobs, while Schofield has fronted a number of other shows, The Sun reports.

An insider said: "Phillip is a huge name at ITV these days and is absolutely raking it in while Fern hasn't done much else.

"It hasn't sat well with her the way she's been treated by ITV, so many of us are not surprised she is off."

Last month, it was reported that Schofield earned much more than Britton in their respective contracts with the channel.

It seems that Equality and Diversity is still an issue in the 21st century and men still earn a lot more than women doing the same job.

Lysette
26-03-2009, 12:20
yea i heard about this, apparently she's quite stuck up.
she wasnt being very nice because he gets payed more then her, so i think she quit because of that. not because she wants to 'spend more time with the family' just my opinion.
and my local radio stations lol (:

Trinity
26-03-2009, 13:17
Fern Britton left her job as a co-host of This Morning because of her pay gap with Phillip Schofield, it has been claimed.

Britton quit the ITV show yesterday and said that she was looking forward to doing other things and spending more time with her family.

However, the presenter is said to be unhappy that she has not been given other high-profile television jobs, while Schofield has fronted a number of other shows, The Sun reports.

An insider said: "Phillip is a huge name at ITV these days and is absolutely raking it in while Fern hasn't done much else.

"It hasn't sat well with her the way she's been treated by ITV, so many of us are not surprised she is off."

Last month, it was reported that Schofield earned much more than Britton in their respective contracts with the channel.

It seems that Equality and Diversity is still an issue in the 21st century and men still earn a lot more than women doing the same job.

That is the point though, they are not doing the same job - Phil has other shows that are covered by his contract and therefore deserves more money.

Perdita
26-03-2009, 14:05
I thought that Phil is getting a lot more money only for hosting This Morning, I had the impression that he gets paid separately for the other shows. I thought that Fern is miffed that she does not get offered to host the other shows.

Abigail
27-03-2009, 02:34
Phil has a different contract to Fern. They are both contracted for This Morning and a game show, and Phil has some other programs.

The difference between their (reported) salaries is huge. Phil earns more than twice Fern. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was paid so much less when my co worker did a few extra hours a week for a couple of months a year.

Perdita
27-03-2009, 05:48
Then I can fully understand and support Fern's decision. But with the way things are going, Mr Schofield might have to tighten his belt a bit because I can't see any new contracts attracting quite the same salary figure, nor should they. The popular radio/tv show hosts are getting paid way too much imo.

Perdita
27-03-2009, 06:09
TV host Fern Britton quit the British Soap Awards last night in further evidence of a rift with her co-presenter Phillip Schofield.
And she gave ITV bosses another slap in the face by agreeing to take a plum job at the BBC barely a day after handing in her notice at This Morning.

Yesterday, Fern, 51, put on a brave face by telling This Morning viewers that talk of a rift was “b******s”.

But her decision to pull out of the Soap Awards means Phillip — who she has presented the event with for the past three years — will have to front it alone in May.

Fern is thought to have been on about £20,000 for hosting the show — with Phillip, 46, on TWICE as much.

Insiders said “no one was surprised" at her pull-out.

One said: “Would you want to stand next to someone when they’re getting paid twice as much?”

Fern quit her £750,000-a-year This Morning job after ten years amid claims she was fuming at the £2million earnings of ITV golden boy Phillip.

BBC bosses stepped in yesterday by offering her a job hosting a new light entertainment show — which she accepted.

Her switch across channels will pave the way for Melanie Sykes to take Fern’s job on This Morning.

Insiders claim former model Melanie, 38, who hosted a daytime TV show with Des O’Connor until 2006, has already been offered a contract.

An ITV source said: “Fern’s replacement is in a one-horse race.

“This Morning is determined to sign Melanie and made a formal approach today.”

Fern mouthed the word “b******s to the This Morning cameras yesterday as she tried to brush off talk of a rift with her silver-haired co-host.

She then joked: “That was for our deaf viewers!”

She called Phillip “simply the best” but said: “I’m ready for a change. I do have another Phil (Vickery, her TV chef husband) in my life.”

But Fern refused to thank Phillip on Wednesday when she announced she would be leaving This Morning in July before her contract is up.

Sources told The Sun she was furious that ITV failed to give her more high-profile jobs — while turning Dancing On Ice host Phillip into a major star.

He has a £2million ITV contract and pockets a £45,000 an episode for co-hosting Mr & Mrs with Fern — while she picks up only £15,000.

But she will continue to front the game show as the deal is already signed.

Other possible contenders for Fern’s This Morning job are Holly Willoughby, Kate Garraway and Fiona Phillips.

I will not watch it if Melanie Sykes or Fiona Philips take over :nono:

tammyy2j
27-03-2009, 12:07
OK her lies about her weight loss didnt help her public imagine but both her and Phil do an equal great job on the show and should get paid the same and with the current economic state maybe each a little less

The show wont be the same without Fern

Chloe O'brien
27-03-2009, 12:48
I like Melanie Sykes she's always happy and cheerful, used to like watching her with Des O'Connor in the afternoon.

Perdita
28-03-2009, 07:06
FERN Britton is switching to the BBC to star in a new quiz — the first testing TV knowledge since 80s hit Telly Addicts.

The host, who quit ITV1’s This Morning earlier this week, has signed as a team captain on the show.

An insider told us: “Telly is the nation’s favourite habit and there hasn’t been a programme like this for some time.”

The last quiz based on watching the box was Noel Edmonds’ hit Telly Addicts, which ran from 1985 until 1998.

But a source on BBC1’s latest primetime production said: “This is a brand new show.

“The basic premise is a quiz about TV, but it’s going to be thoroughly modern and updated.”

Fern, 51, and the rival team captain will be officially unveiled next week.

She announced she was leaving her £750,000-a-year This Morning job amid rumours of a rift with co-host Phillip Schofield, 46.

We revealed Fern discovered he earned up to three times more than her thanks to a £2million golden handcuffs deal.

She has also quit this year’s British Soap Awards, leaving Phil to host alone.

The BBC said: “We’re thrilled to have Fern on board.”

Perdita
28-03-2009, 12:24
Melanie Sykes has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Fern Britton on ITV show This Morning.

Britton announced her resignation from the programme earlier this week, but rejected reports that her decision was based on a rift with co-host Phillip Schofield.

An ITV source told The Sun: "Fern's replacement is in a one-horse race. This Morning is determined to sign Melanie and made a formal approach today."

Sykes recently revealed that she had turned down an offer to appear on Strictly Come Dancing because she wanted to avoid reality TV shows during her career.

Can't stand her, glad I don't watch This Morning very often as I am working. Not keen on Ruth but prefer her to Melanie. :thumbsdow

Xx-Vicky-xX
28-03-2009, 13:37
Shame Fern is leaving, her and Phillip are a class double act, i will miss her when she is gone, i hope Ruth does not replace her, can't stand her on it fridays never mind full time. I used to love Fiona on GMTV maybe would like to see her take over, but really i dont think anyone can replace Fern

di marco
28-03-2009, 14:57
tbh she still gets a huge amount of money for hosting a tv show, if i was earning that sort of money i wouldnt be complaining! yeh ok it might not be fair if hes getting paid more than her for the same show, but why should that cause a rift between them, its not his fault itv are paying him more

Perdita
30-03-2009, 08:01
Emma Forbes is reportedly being considered as a replacement for Fern Britton on This Morning.

Britton announced earlier this week that she would be leaving her job as co-presenter on the ITV show at the end of its current season.

Channel executives believe that Forbes, 43, who hosted Live & Kicking in the '90s, is a perfect replacement to work with Phillip Schofield, sources told the Mail On Sunday.

An insider commented: "There are a lot of names being touted about, but Emma is the one.

"She fits the bill because she is a mother, she's pretty but not too chic, costs much less than Fern and won't be intent on being the main star of the show - which will suit Phil."

ITV said no decision has been made as to who will replace Britton, who has since accepted a new role with the BBC.

A spokesman said: "There has been a lot of speculation and I've had at least a dozen different names put to me over the past few days. But nothing has been decided."

I would prefer Emma to Mel Sykes anytime

Perdita
09-04-2009, 06:05
FERN Britton’s hubby has landed a prime-time show on ITV — just as his wife angrily quits the network.

Phil Vickery, 47, will host a consumer series exposing filth and bad service at restaurants.

The series is set to screen in summer, just as Fern, 51, leaves This Morning —where chef Phil has a weekly cooking spot.

Phillip Schofield’s co-host announced she was quitting last month after a reported row with ITV bosses over her salary and lack of peaktime work.

An ITV insider said: “When Fern announced she was leaving This Morning, some people thought that might be the end of Phil’s appearances, too.

“But Phil is a really popular personality in his own right.”

alan45
12-04-2009, 13:05
The latest rumour is that Christine Bleakley has been selected to replace Fern Britton. This story made front page news in the Sunday Life, a Northern Ireland Sunday newspaper. Unfortunately I am unable at this time to print a link to the story.

Perdita
12-04-2009, 17:03
Christine Bleakley is the "number one choice" to replace Fern Britton on This Morning, it has been claimed.

The 29-year-old TV host has become a household name since joining BBC One's The One Show in 2007.

Bleakley, who fronts the programme with Adrian Chiles, could now be lured to ITV if the broadcaster agrees to top her current £100,000 salary.

An insider told The Mirror: "She can think on her feet and works well with Chiles, even though he's a bit of a handful and she admitted to not liking him at first. She's a great foil for an older male co-host because she's pretty but smart, too.

"Christine also has warmth which makes other women like her - which is very important for a show like This Morning."

Britton announced that she was quitting This Morning last month. She will present her final show on July 17.

From DS

alan45
13-04-2009, 00:25
Northern Ireland’s TV glamour girl Christine Bleakley could be bringing her winning smile to daytime television as co-host of hit show This Morning.

Christine, who is currently joint host of the BBC’s The One Show, is understood to be considering a lucrative offer from ITV — believed to be £200,000 — to replace Fern Britton on the popular morning programme.

Bosses from This Morning are understood to have been pursuing the 29-year-old Newtownards girl after Britton announced last month that she was quitting the show after 10 years.

Sources have said that Christine will be meeting with her agent this week to discuss the offer, believed to be double what she is paid by the BBC. However the huge pay rise would still fall short of the £750,000 a year which Britton has been receiving for co-hosting This Morning alongside PhillipSchofield.

Christine, who recently lit up Saturday night screens with her performances on Strictly Come Dancing, has been up against other top TV names who are vying for the coveted job.

These are understood to include fellow Northern Ireland beauty Zoe Salmon, who last month said she would “love it, if they asked me to do it”.

Other well-known names reported to be interested included Myleene Klass, Natasha Kaplinsky and Fiona Phillips.

Christine, a former Bloomfield Collegiate head girl, has become one of the UK’s most popular television presenters in recent years.

Her rapport with The One Show co-presenter Adrian Chiles since August 2007 has also endeared her to teatime audiences.

Although she would not talk specifically about a possible move, Christine told our sister paper the Sunday Life yesterday: “This Morning is something which has come completely out of the ether.

“But I have to say that, more than anything else, it is incredibly flattering to even have my name in the frame for the job.”

Luna
28-04-2009, 16:00
Phillip Schofield is reportedly backing Myleene Klass to replace departing presenter Fern Britton on This Morning.

According to The Mirror, Schofield has told bosses at the ITV1 show that the former Hear'Say singer would help boost ratings because of her "combination of talent, personality and looks".

"Phillip thinks Myleene is perfect for the job and has made sure his voice is heard," explained an unnamed source. "[His] opinion is well respected among senior execs, and if he's confident he could work with Myleene then execs will listen.

"After all, he's the one who's going to have to work with her. The money is a big selling point too."

The insider added that the 31-year-old could probably be signed at a "massively reduced cost", with bosses likely to offer her less than Britton's current deal.

Britton will step down from the daytime programme in July after a ten-year stint on the show.

Earlier this month, Richard Madeley suggested that Klass would be an "excellent" replacement, adding: "[She does] so many things so that might have an impact."

alan45
28-04-2009, 16:12
Their on-screen chemistry and public friendship has raised questions about their relationship off camera.

Now it seems The One Show host Christine Bleakley has turned down Fern Britton’s spot on This Morning, preferring to continue working with Adrian Chiles instead.

Bleakley and Chiles attended Sunday night’s Bafta Television Awards, and presented the factual series award together.

Reason to stay? Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley pose at the Bafta Television Awards on Sunday night

The 29-year-old Northern Irish presenter confirmed she had been in discussions with This Morning about replacing Britton, who is quitting in July.

She said: ‘I am more than happy at The One Show. [Doing This Morning] would mean getting up very early. I am definitely a night owl. It is a nice thing to be asked but I am very happy where I am for the time being.’

Britton, 51, announced she was leaving the popular daytime show after ten years in March.

Fiona Phillips, Emma Forbes, Ruth Langsford and Gabby Logan are among the other contenders to replace her.

'More than happy': Christine turned down Fern Britton’s spot on This Morning, preferring to continue working with Adrian

Bleakley, who wore a plunging green Amanda Wakely dress, looked relaxed and happy as she posed for photographs with Chiles.

The pair have both split with their long-term partners since working together on The One Show, but have always insisted they are just good friends.

She explained: ‘We are good mates. We work together so much, you have to get along. I think people have bought into the fact we sit on the sofa together, so in some ways that's a compliment.'

Leaving in July: Fern Britton

Last year, speculation about their growing friendship reached fever pitch after they were pictured spending time in a West London flat together.

They were photographed separately arriving at the flat in Kensington, which is understood to be empty and belongs to a relative of Chiles.

The couple spent around an hour there according to media reports.

Chiles, 42, later admitted the situation ‘looked suspicious but was totally innocent’, but was adamant they had just gone there to eat a kebab supper.

‘We were in there for 52 minutes with two mixed kebabs. And if anything else was going on, would we have bothered with the mixed kebabs?,’ he said in an interview with The Times.

He also suggested that Miss Bleakley was out of his league.

'Look at her and look at me! West Brom might quite like to sign Ronaldo but it is simply not going to happen,' he said, alluding to his modest football team and the glamorous Manchester United player.

'As anyone I grew up with would tell you, if anyone was capable of getting Britain's most desirable woman into an empty property and do nothing but eat kebabs, I am that man,' he added.

Bleakley split from her boyfriend Mark Beirne in January, while Chiles's marriage to Radio 4 Woman's Hour presenter Jane Garvey, with whom he has two daughters, broke down a year ago.

He moved out of the family home in Shepherd's Bush, West London and now lives in Chiswick.

The star has said that his friendship with Bleakley had helped him through a difficult year.

'Yes, it has been fundamentally really, really important and mutually beneficial as well,' he said.

'Those working relationships don't grow on trees. I count my blessings on that, although it has caused a certain amount of collateral damage with all the rumours.'

Bryan
29-04-2009, 10:53
Several big names are facing the axe from This Morning, according to The Mirror.

ITV chiefs are reportedly planning a massive cull of presenters on their flagship daytime show.

The tabloid reports that those under threat include Denise Robertson, Alison Hammond, Paul Ross, Andrew Oxlade, Nadine Baggott, Dr Chris Steele and Fern Britton's husband Phil Vickery.

A show insider is quoted as saying: "There is a huge family of regular experts on the show and this will be a tough process for them. Some may leave while others might find they have to take pay cuts or are used less.

They added: "No-one is safe at the moment."

An ITV spokesperson insisted there were no plans to cut the budget, but did admit: "We want to revamp the show to keep it fresh.

"We will be looking at all the experts who currently appear to make sure we have the right mix. It's a root and branch review in order to make sure the show continues on an upward path."

The shake-up comes just weeks after Fern Britton announced that she was to step down from presenting This Morning.

Noooo! They cant get rid of Denise and Dr Chris!!!!! :( :( :( :(

Perdita
29-04-2009, 11:46
I hope they also keep Alison Hammond, I really like her. Don't care too much for Nadine Baggott and I suppose they can get another tv chef if they decide to give Phil Vickery the boot.

Perdita
01-05-2009, 06:11
Davina McCall has become the latest star to join the contest to replace Fern Britton as This Morning presenter.

The Big Brother veteran is keen to switch roles and join Phillip Schofield on the sofa. ITV bosses believe the 41-year-old would attract a wide female audience and boost ratings.

A source said: “Davina has been looking for a new challenge on TV and presenting This Morning would fit the bill.

“She is always game for trying things and would get stuck into everything from the cooking and fashion on the show, to conducting the interviews.

“ITV boss Peter Fincham is a big fan of hers, so she is definitely a contender.” Davina is thought to be considering quitting Big Brother after the 10th series this summer.

This Morning chiefs are looking to pay less for the next female star after splashing out £750,000 on Fern’s contract in the past.

But Davina may be willing to take a smaller wage as she has few jobs outside of Big Brother at the moment.

Other names in the frame for the job include Fiona Phillips, Kate Garraway, Ruth Langsford and Gaby Roslin. Gaby said: “The chance to do live TV every day would be fabulous. I’ve known Phillip for years. I’d love to do it.”

This week, the Mirror revealed This Morning is getting a massive revamp over the summer before it returns in September.

The shake up will mean some of the show’s experts are likely to be axed. Fern leaves the show in July.

But ITV insist the changes are not part of a budget cut and the makeover is aimed at attracting more viewers.

alan45
01-05-2009, 09:47
Davina McCall has become the latest star to join the contest to replace Fern Britton as This Morning presenter.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH Please God NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chloe O'brien
01-05-2009, 22:45
Davina couldn't do it what about big brother. Out of all the names Melanie Sykes is still my favourite to fill Fern's place.

Abigail
01-05-2009, 23:06

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH Please God NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand the woman either. She gets on my nerves :sick:

If they get rid of all the people they want, who will they have to present the features? I agree Bryan, Dr Chris and Denise are the best. There's two chefs, one of them runs Gordon Ramsay's restaurant.

I wouldn't mind Myleene presenting

Perdita
02-05-2009, 05:27
Davina couldn't do it what about big brother. Out of all the names Melanie Sykes is still my favourite to fill Fern's place.

Oh, please no, she is useless, hate everything she does, she will want to replace Phil with Des O'Connor :sick:

alan45
02-05-2009, 09:44
Personally I would like to see Ruth getting the job

Trinity
02-05-2009, 10:40
I think that they need a cheap unknown.

I would do if for a few hundred thou.....

Perdita
05-05-2009, 06:16
PHILLIP Schofield has told ITV bosses he wants Holly Willoughby to replace Fern Britton on This Morning.

Execs are deciding who will replace Fern when she leaves in July and have drawn up a shortlist.

But Phillip, 47, is trying to convince them to give the gig to Holly, 20 — his Dancing On Ice co-host.

An insider said: “Phil is determined to have a say in who gets the job. It’s no secret he and Fern are no longer best mates. He has a great time doing Dancing On Ice with Holly so the chemistry is there.”

The new host is likely to earn between £150,000 and £250,000 as ITV looks to cut costs.

Others in the frame are Fiona Phillips, Kate Garraway, Ruth Langsford, Gaby Roslin, Myleene Klass and Davina McCall.

I like Holly :)

Trinity
05-05-2009, 06:36
I went off her when she announced to the world she like to wear here stilletos in bed.

Perdita
05-05-2009, 06:38
Each to their own :D

Trinity
05-05-2009, 08:38
It isn't the stiletos that I mind - she is perfectly entitled to do what she wants - she should just keep it to herself. DoI is a family show.

no1abbafan
05-05-2009, 17:22
First Philip wants Myleene, then he wants Holly - for goodness keep it to yourself man - you wont get the last say anyway

Chloe O'brien
08-05-2009, 22:29
He won't get Holly she will still be on maternity leave when This Morning returns in the Autumn.

Perdita
16-05-2009, 12:21
Myleene Klass has confirmed that she would be willing to replace Fern Britton on This Morning.

The TV host has been tipped to join the ITV1 programme since Britton announced her decision to quit in March.

More recently, it was claimed that the show's longrunning presenter Phillip Schofield believes Klass is "perfect" for the job.

Speaking to the Daily Express, Klass explained: "I've heard about my name being in the frame and I'm a fan of Phillip Schofield, which is a bonus. I do the early mornings anyway, so it would fit in perfectly with the diary!"

However, the star added that she is being cautious over the rumours, commenting: "It is wonderful to be considered, it's a fabulous show, but I honestly haven't heard any more about it than everyone else."

Klass currently presents Channel 4 style show 10 Years Younger, as well as appearing in advertisements for Marks & Spencer and Pantene.

Jojo
16-05-2009, 12:29
No thanks - sorry, don't like her

DaVeyWaVey
16-05-2009, 12:37
Myleene Klass seems to pop up everywhere these days.

Jojo
16-05-2009, 12:41

Thats one of my problems with her tbh Dave - she is everywhere and as lovely a person as she seems, I don't think I could have her "matched" with Phil Schofield on TM - for me, personally, the dynamics wouldn't be right.

Perdita
16-05-2009, 12:44
I would not like to see her on TM either, too much of her on tv as it is.

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 00:01
Wish they would get on with it. Is it the end of the month that Fern leaves? Not that I'm bothered as I don't see TM but Mel Sykes is still my favourite to see on my day off. I miss the show her and Des O'Connor used to do.

Perdita
17-05-2009, 06:29
Fern leaves on 17 July, her birthday

DaVeyWaVey
17-05-2009, 10:39

Thats one of my problems with her tbh Dave - she is everywhere and as lovely a person as she seems, I don't think I could have her "matched" with Phil Schofield on TM - for me, personally, the dynamics wouldn't be right.

That's why I find her annoying too - she seems to be here, there and everywhere. I couldn't see her gelling very well with Phil at all.

I still think Christine Bleakley would be a good replacement, but hasn't she turned it down to stay on The One Show?

Chris_2k11
17-05-2009, 11:03
I'll tell you who would be fantastic - Denise Welsh but she has other commitments.

Perdita
17-05-2009, 11:51
Yes, you are right, she would be good :)

Jojo
17-05-2009, 11:51
I'll tell you who would be fantastic - Denise Welsh but she has other commitments.

Agree with you there Chris - she would be great!

Abigail
24-05-2009, 20:42

Agree with you there Chris - she would be great!

I hadn't thought of her but she'd complement Phil very well.

Perdita
04-06-2009, 05:59
THE Duchess of York is in talks with ITV chiefs to replace Fern Britton on This Morning, The Sun can reveal.
Fergie, 49, is keen to join Phillip Schofield on the show's sofa after doing two documentaries for the channel.

ITV sources said she was a strong contender - and could beat off competition from presenters including Fiona Phillips, Coleen Nolan, Christine Bleakley and Holly Willoughby.

The former Royal put herself forward for the job after a meeting to discuss new documentary ideas.

A channel source said: "The Duchess came in to see the team and later that evening she called back to ask if she could be kept in mind for Fern's replacement.

"She is a big fan of the show and is keen to carry on her TV work. She loves interviewing.

"As a mum, she is empathetic. The producers think she could actually be a good contender.

"Even if she doesn't end up doing the job, we would still love her to make films for us and she could definitely be a stand-in host."

A show spokeswoman said: "We are talking to a number of people at the moment, but will not be confirming who will be taking over from Fern until later in the year."

Fergie appeared on The Duchess in Hull, where she left her luxurious Manhattan lifestyle and moved in with a family on one of Britain's poorest council estates.

In Duchess and Daughters: Their Secret Mission, she visited orphanages in Romania and Turkey with Princess Eugenie, 19.

The pair donned headscarves and black wigs to get into the institutions and saw shocking scenes including disabled children tied to beds.

In the US, Fergie was special correspondent for NBC's Today Show and a substitute host on CNN's Larry King Live and ABC's The View.

Can't see that one working :nono:

Hannelene
06-06-2009, 14:54
This is getting out of hand they need to choose someone who is an unknown - it could work then a known face.

Chloe O'brien
06-06-2009, 23:09
I wish they would just get a move on an give someone the job. How about Fiona Phillips.

Abigail
06-06-2009, 23:10
How about Fiona Phillips.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NO WAY!!!! She's an irritating woman

Hannelene
06-06-2009, 23:42
How about Fiona Phillips.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NO WAY!!!! She's an irritating woman

i have just started GMTV again since they got rid of her!

Chris_2k11
07-06-2009, 00:59
I wish they would just get a move on an give someone the job. How about Fiona Phillips.Jesus NO lmao

sindydoll
07-06-2009, 13:19
they will already know who has got the job

Hannelene
07-06-2009, 14:58
Well let's hope it's someone who isn't annoying like Anthea Turner.

sindydoll
08-06-2009, 15:57
Anthea turner i haven't seen her in years does she still work in television

Perdita
08-06-2009, 18:17
Not seen her recently but I read she is pretty broke, her hubby's business is suffering badly in the credit crunch times.

Hannelene
08-06-2009, 19:59
Anthea turner i haven't seen her in years does she still work in television
She was on this years hells kitchen with her husband looking pretty much the same but not so smug now little Ms perfect is almost broke

Chris_2k11
08-06-2009, 20:15
Have they not chose someone yet?

Hannelene
08-06-2009, 20:50
No not yet

Abigail
08-06-2009, 20:50
They will have hired someone at this stage with Fern leaving in a matter of weeks. They're probably sorting out contracts, hours, pay etc. before they announce it publicly.

di marco
08-06-2009, 22:02
yeh im pretty certain it will almost have been finalised by now

Hannelene
09-06-2009, 11:52
It will be announced soon as Fern's last day is not too far off now.

sindydoll
10-06-2009, 08:13
Not seen her recently but I read she is pretty broke, her hubby's business is suffering badly in the credit crunch times.:eek: really anthea turner nearly broke! well that has shocked me.

Hannelene
10-06-2009, 09:15
Not seen her recently but I read she is pretty broke, her hubby's business is suffering badly in the credit crunch times.:eek: really anthea turner nearly broke! well that has shocked me.

I read about her misfortune here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1176370/Going-broke--Their-property-company-collapsed-Anthea-Turner-Grant-Bovey-business.html

Perdita
12-06-2009, 06:15
GABY Roslin has held secret talks with This Morning bosses - fuelling speculation she will replace host Fern Britton.
She is a surprise contender to join Phillip Schofield - but producers could get her involved in the ITV show even if she doesn't land the top job.

The 44 year old has had few high-profile jobs since leaving the Big Breakfast in 1996.

She hosted Eurovision: Making Your Mind Up with Terry Wogan in 2004 and has been a regular presenter of annual telethon Children In Need.

A This Morning source said: "Gaby's been in the building to meet chiefs but it's not clear whether it's for Fern's job."

Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson, Fiona Phillips, Coleen Nolan, Christine Bleakley and Holly Willoughby have all been tipped as contenders to replace Fern - who will leave the show in the middle of next month.

The Sun

Jessie Wallace
12-06-2009, 16:33
Ooo that would be a good one. I'd like either Gaby or Christine please

Hannelene
12-06-2009, 20:25
Gaby would be great she is just what the show needs!

Chloe O'brien
12-06-2009, 21:55
Oh no not her she's as nippy as Anthea Turner.

Jessie Wallace
12-06-2009, 22:58
sorry, what does nippy mean? as in cold?

Chloe O'brien
12-06-2009, 23:03
Sorry Jessie it means annoying we call it being a nippy sweetie.

Jessie Wallace
13-06-2009, 01:14
Ah ok, thanks hun.
I love her tho, went to see chicago the first time just coz she was in it! lol

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 04:37
Gaby is nice I would prefer her then Anthea anyday

Perdita
13-06-2009, 15:41
Melanie Sykes has announced that she is willing to take over from Fern Britton on This Morning later this year.

The TV host was first linked to the job in March, with insiders describing the competition as a "one-horse race".

Sykes has now confirmed that she is hoping to secure the position, though she has not yet received a formal approach from producers.

Speaking to The Mirror, she admitted: "Obviously it would be a great gig. Who wouldn't want to do it? But I haven't been approached yet. I would love to work with Phillip [Schofield] though."

Sykes presented daytime chatshow Today With Des And Mel alongside Des O'Connor from 2002 to 2006. More recently, she has appeared on Loose Women and hosted shows for Radio 2.

Britton revealed that she had decided to quit This Morning in March. She will front her final episode in July.

Nooooo :thumbsdow

Abigail
13-06-2009, 15:42
I don't like her :wall:

I'm not keen on any of these rumoured people.

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 17:30
Melanie Sykes has announced that she is willing to take over from Fern Britton on This Morning later this year.

The TV host was first linked to the job in March, with insiders describing the competition as a "one-horse race".

Sykes has now confirmed that she is hoping to secure the position, though she has not yet received a formal approach from producers.

Speaking to The Mirror, she admitted: "Obviously it would be a great gig. Who wouldn't want to do it? But I haven't been approached yet. I would love to work with Phillip [Schofield] though."

Sykes presented daytime chatshow Today With Des And Mel alongside Des O'Connor from 2002 to 2006. More recently, she has appeared on Loose Women and hosted shows for Radio 2.

Britton revealed that she had decided to quit This Morning in March. She will front her final episode in July.

Nooooo :thumbsdow
.........................:eek:

Jessie Wallace
13-06-2009, 17:34
Mel would be ok, i liked her with Des O'Conner, but would still prefer Gaby

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 17:35
I want gaby more down to earth!

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 23:29
I like Mel she was great when she did Des and Mel. I would prefer her to Gaby anyday though I'm not bothered I never see This Morning because I'm at work.

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:29
I like Mel she was great when she did Des and Mel. I would prefer her to Gaby anyday though I'm not bothered I never see This Morning because I'm at work.

Me too I won't even see the new face!

Abigail
13-06-2009, 23:37

Me too I won't even see the new face!

I third that. I rarely have time in the morning to watch This Morning but when I do, I like to see a cheery face not a sour puss who grates my cheese and can't present for toffee.

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:38
I had hope for them to find a new face a new talent instead of someone we had all seen before on TV. I thought the industry would look for new blood doesn't anyone think it's time for a new face to be on this show instead of attempting to resurrect someone's career?

Chris_2k11
13-06-2009, 23:38
I don't really know why i keep replying in this thread either, i never watch the show haha

Abigail
13-06-2009, 23:40
Is there anyone replying to this thread that watches the show? :lol:

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:40
No......:rotfl:

Abigail
13-06-2009, 23:42
Ok, so we don't watch the show but we really care about who gets Fern's position :rotfl: Enough for five pages. How strange...

Hannelene
13-06-2009, 23:43
When I was studying fulltime some yrs back I used to watch her on my days off and I liked Fern. She was fun and down to earth. Loved life and the show was easy to watch as the format worked. It is a shame to see her go.

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 23:43
Well maybe we should nominate the worst presenter we want on the show since no-one watches it who cares who get's Fern's job. :rotfl:

Abigail
13-06-2009, 23:54
Ok, the officially rumoured choices are:

Melanie Sykes

Emma Forbes

Christine Bleakley

Mylene Klass

Davina McCall

Fiona Phillips

Kate Garraway

Ruth Langsford

Gaby Roslin

Holly Willoughby

Fergie

Coleen Nolan

And the members suggestions are:

Denise Welch

Anthea Turner

My vote for the worst presenter goes to Davina McCall. Never liked her, she gets on my nerves.

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 23:56
My suggestions for worst presenter would be Gaby Roslin, I would have picekd Kate Garraway but she's out of the running as she will be going on maternity leave soon.

Abigail
13-06-2009, 23:59
Damn, I forgot about Fiona Phillips. The decision is so hard, most of them are as bad as each other.

Ok, I'm going to say Davina McCall on Monday and Fiona Phillips on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 00:02
Kate Garraway would of been my choice for worst also along with Mel Skyes.
Ruth is nice but she needs more energy as she can sound very boring once she starts to go on.
Christine I'm not too keen on and everyone knows Andrea needs the cash but seems to have a very domineering personality.
Plus not forgetting man hating Fiona Phillips who is never happier then hearing the sound of her own voice

I could see Emma Forbes being selected as her and Phil have worked together in the past and the chemistry and laughter seemed to work.

Chris_2k11
14-06-2009, 00:03
I think a fresh face would be good, someone we hadnt seen before (as long as they can present)

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 00:05
True a new face could be the answer or it could be time for a whole new outlook and replace phil too:cool:

Chris_2k11
14-06-2009, 00:05
Plus not forgetting man hating Fiona Phillips who is never happier then hearing the sound of her own voicelmao she just drones on and on and on!

Hannelene
14-06-2009, 00:10
Plus not forgetting man hating Fiona Phillips who is never happier then hearing the sound of her own voicelmao she just drones on and on and on!

Fiona was never happy unless she was rattling about something and if she was talking no one else's opinion counted except her own. I had to stop watching GMTV at one point as she was so miserable at times and always on her high horse looking down at people. I was so glad when she was on Strictly Come Dancing and she was shown to whole nation to finally be bad at something:cheer:

Jessie Wallace
14-06-2009, 00:40
i do actually watch it, so i want someone i like please :)

di marco
15-06-2009, 11:36
haha i like the idea of the worst presenter! and the fact that most of us dont actually watch it, i dont either!

Hannelene
15-06-2009, 17:57
I would laugh if they chose the person that we think is the worst presenter!

Perdita
17-06-2009, 16:26
Ruth Langsford has told friends on This Morning she has not landed the job to replace Fern Britton.

The star - who co-presents the daytime show on Fridays with fiance Eamonn Holmes - was the viewers' number one choice in a poll.

But yesterday Ruth, 49, told co-workers she had lost out on presenting four days a week with Phillip Schofield.

The show source said: "Ruth doesn't think she has got the job and was disappointed. Screen tests are taking place with a shortlist and Ruth either didn't make it, or wasn't happy with her interview.

"She's resigned herself to working only on Fridays with Eamonn. She is a little upset but loves the show. It means they're bringing in a fresh face to try to boost ratings."

Names in the frame to replace Fern, 51, after July 17, are Fiona Phillips, Coleen Nolan, Gaby Roslin, Kate Garraway, Holly Willoughby and Emma Forbes. ITV declined to comment.

I am glad, I can't take to her at all.

Pinkbanana
17-06-2009, 20:22
Ruth Langsford has told friends on This Morning she has not landed the job to replace Fern Britton.

I agree, I cant warm to her. I'm pleased they are bringing in a fresh face...

Hannelene
17-06-2009, 20:48

The star - who co-presents the daytime show on Fridays with fiance Eamonn Holmes - was the viewers' number one choice in a poll.

But yesterday Ruth, 49, told co-workers she had lost out on presenting four days a week with Phillip Schofield.

The show source said: "Ruth doesn't think she has got the job and was disappointed. Screen tests are taking place with a shortlist and Ruth either didn't make it, or wasn't happy with her interview.

"She's resigned herself to working only on Fridays with Eamonn. She is a little upset but loves the show. It means they're bringing in a fresh face to try to boost ratings."

Names in the frame to replace Fern, 51, after July 17, are Fiona Phillips, Coleen Nolan, Gaby Roslin, Kate Garraway, Holly Willoughby and Emma Forbes. ITV declined to comment.

Holly? I don't know my vote is with Emma or Gaby

Perdita
19-06-2009, 12:15
Phillip Schofield has reportedly told ITV that Holly Willoughby must take over as host of This Morning.

According to The Sun, Schofield insisted that his Dancing On Ice co-presenter is the only person "good enough" to replace Fern Britton on the ITV1 daytime show.

"Phillip has been flying the flag for Holly for a while but hasn't been getting the feeling that anyone was listening," said a source.

"Like everyone else he has been reading in the papers about potential replacements but he's not crazy about any of them. He wants them to make a decision - and appoint Holly."

The 47-year-old has allegedly held meetings with ITV's Peter Fincham about who his new colleague should be.

Davina McCall, Kate Garraway, Emma Forbes, Gaby Roslin and the Duchess of York have all been linked to the post.

Britton, who confirmed that she was quitting in March, will host her last show on July 17.

Hannelene
19-06-2009, 20:49
Holly? They don't want someone who can do the job then?

Chloe O'brien
19-06-2009, 23:38
Will Holly be back from maternity leave when the show returns after the summer break and will she want to do it if she is doing the xfactor as well.

Perdita
20-06-2009, 05:43
EAMONN Holmes and Ruth Langsford fear the chop from This Morning as ITV chiefs save cash.

The pair, both 49, who got engaged earlier this year, host the show on Fridays.

But they have yet to receive contracts for the new series, which starts in September.

Bosses were unable to reassure the presenters at a meeting earlier this week that their jobs were safe.

A source said: "Eamonn and Ruth are really worried they are the next stars facing the axe.

"They love presenting the show and have great chemistry on air.

"But Eamonn, in particular, is expensive and he is worried they can no longer afford him."

The show's staff are rallying around the pair and offering them their full support.

An insider added: "Everyone wants them to stay - it will be a sad day if they leave."

Regular presenter Fern Britton announced plans to quit the show after discovering co-host Phillip Schofield earned three times as much as her with his £2million contract.

Initially, Ruth was tipped to take over from Fern - but she didn't get the permanent role.

Now Phillip has asked show bosses to replace Fern with Dancing On Ice partner Holly Willoughby, who he says is the only person he can work with.

An insider added: "Holly would be a great addition but it would be a huge commitment for her."

ITV last night refused to comment on the developments.

I am sure that Eamonn earns enough with Sky to avoid them becoming homeless and Ruth can stay off the tv screens for ever, as far as I am concerned.

Hannelene
20-06-2009, 06:40
Why do they have Ruth and Eamonn on for one day a week?
Why don't the this morning present the show all week?

Perdita
20-06-2009, 06:54
Eamonn does the morning news on Sky during the week and is probably too busy and I for one am glad that Ruth does not present This Morning more often

Hannelene
20-06-2009, 07:12
I hardly watch the show as I work during the week and if I take a sick day off or have a day off I watch the show. Ruth I can't take to she never comes across as a natural never relaxes enough. Eamonn I like he is funny, smart and down to earth. If they ever had to replace Phillip they should consider Eamonn a worthy contender for his job!

Perdita
01-07-2009, 13:19
Holly Willoughby and Davina McCall are reportedly battling it out to take over from Fern Britton on This Morning.

According to the Daily Mail, ITV has narrowed down the long list of presenters - which included Fiona Phillips, Mel Sykes and Gabby Roslin - to Big Brother's McCall and Dancing On Ice host Willoughby.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a162906/willoughby-mccall-battling-for-itv-job.html

I hope it is not foghorn Davina, I much prefer Holly if the choice is between those two although I can think of a couple of other presenters who would do a better job than those two put together.

Abigail
01-07-2009, 14:25
If Davina gets the job I'll never watch TM again :nono:

I did actually watch the show today :)

Chris_2k11
01-07-2009, 15:51
They STILL havent decided?

Perdita
01-07-2009, 16:24
Got another two weeks before Fern leaves, plenty of time :lol: I suspect they may have chosen somebody, but have not released yet who.

di marco
01-07-2009, 19:45
they must have almost chosen someone surely? theyre leaving it a bit late otherwise

Chloe O'brien
01-07-2009, 23:20
I was in a shop tonight when Marley was at judo and the radio was on. the dj reported that Fern's replacement was down to two presenters Holly and Davina, don't know if there is any truth in it.

Perdita
02-07-2009, 05:43
It has been reported in other media too, so it probably is true. Hope they offer Holly the position *crosses fingers*

di marco
02-07-2009, 12:11
i dont really watch this morning but i think holly would be better for the job out of the two

Perdita
03-07-2009, 05:42
GORGEOUS presenter Holly Willoughby is set to replace Fern Britton on This Morning, The Sun can reveal.
The new mum is now firm favourite to be reunited with Dancing on Ice co-host Phillip Schofield for the ITV1 daytime show.

Phillip, 47, has already told telly bosses that Holly is the best person to replace Fern, who leaves her £750,000-a-year job on July 17 - her 52nd birthday.

And Holly, 28, who is currently filming at The X Factor auditions for her ITV2 spin-off show The Xtra Factor, impressed during her recent stint on the show.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2514203/Holly-Willoughby-set-to-replace-Fern-Britton-on-ITVs-This-Morning.html

:cheer: I am glad and pleased for her

Abigail
03-07-2009, 10:19
Well she wasn't my first choice but at least it's not Davina. I'm going to tune in in ten minutes to see if they announce it.

Hannelene
04-07-2009, 12:00
Holly? I never saw that coming.......

Chris_2k11
04-07-2009, 12:37
Davina is ok in moderation but nobody wants to see/listen to her on their tv screens every morning, Holly is the better choice.

Hannelene
04-07-2009, 13:20
It's going to be her if Phillip wants to work with her only

Chloe O'brien
05-07-2009, 00:07
Holly Willoughby has been offered a £250,000 deal to replace Fern Britton on This Morning, according to a report.
The 28-year-old presenter is believed to be reading over her contract this weekend before being unveiled as the programme's new signing next week.
Last month, it was claimed (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a160874/schofield-tells-itv-to-hire-willoughby.html) that Willoughby had the backing of long-running This Morning host Phillip Schofield, who already works with the star on Dancing On Ice.
A source told The Mirror: "[Holly] has the contract in her hands and can't stop smiling. It should be just a matter of time before she signs and the deal is announced.
"She knows Phil well and they work with great chemistry on TV, so choosing her meant there was no need for lots of screen tests."
It is understood that Willoughby's new role will not affect her commitment to ITV2's The Xtra Factor, which she will work on for the rest of the year.
Britton will make her final appearance on This Morning on July 17. She announced (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a150709/fern-britton-quits-this-morning.html) that she was stepping down in March.

Perdita
06-07-2009, 17:20
Fern Britton will relaunch her television career on the BBC just hours after she has left This Morning.

The 51-year-old has already begun filming new projects aside from the ITV daytime series with Phillip Schofield.

Fern will appear as a team captain on the new Beeb quiz, As Seen On TV next Friday, on the same day as she leaves This Morning after 10 years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/07/06/fern-britton-leaves-this-morning-and-starts-new-bbc-show-just-hours-after-115875-21498544/

I thought she wanted to spend more time with her family :confused:

Abigail
06-07-2009, 17:54
Maybe the BBC are allowing her more flexibility with school holidays and start times.

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 12:14
Thats a change for Fern I wonder if it will work?

Jojo
11-07-2009, 14:39
I suppose its more to do with that she won't be working every day (morning) of each week (bar Fri Sat and Sun), if its different series' that she's going to be filming - and like Abigail said, maybe they're giving her more flexible hours during filming :searchme:

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 14:42
Shame I won't see it as I will be at work but I wonder will she prefer this new start then being on ITV?

sindydoll
11-07-2009, 20:38
isnt holly a bit young! i personally think they need someone of a more mature age for the sympathy and understand of midlife crises and things like that

Perdita
11-07-2009, 21:11
They have got Philip and Denise for that

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 21:11
They needed to have a new face an unknown on the show

Abigail
11-07-2009, 21:46
isnt holly a bit young! i personally think they need someone of a more mature age for the sympathy and understand of midlife crises and things like that

They have got Philip and Denise for that

Not to mention Eamon and the other lass. I don't think age matters to be honest. As long as she can present and isn't boring.

Chris_2k11
11-07-2009, 23:22
I quite like Holly, she isnt a bad choice at all imo :)

sindydoll
13-07-2009, 21:31
fern was aying on an interview that holly and phil are mates! so i think thats how she landed the job(a case of who you know)

sindydoll
15-07-2009, 19:44
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a165362/willoughby-confirmed-as-this-morning-co-host.html

Perdita
16-07-2009, 06:21
SHAMED presenter John Leslie has been snubbed for Fern Britton's farewell show tomorrow - as TV bosses don't want him in the studio.
He is set to appear in a video tribute to his former This Morning co-star intead.

Fern, 52 tomorrow, is quitting the show she started co-hosting with Leslie in 1999. Bosses are lining up a slew of surprise guests for her final show on Friday. But Leslie isn't among them.

He left This Morning after accidentally being named on TV as the man who allegedly raped weathergirl Ulrika Jonsson.

He was cleared of all allegations, but was forced to go weeks later after pictures emerged of him appearing to snort cocaine. A source told TV Biz: "Almost everyone Fern's worked with over the last ten years are coming back but bosses haven't invited John. They didn't feel it was appropriate.

"We're considering having a message from him in the video montage."

An ITV spokeswoman said: "All guests unable to appear on the show have been asked to record video messages."

Current host Phillip Schofield, 47, paid tribute to Fern. He said: "I've had the most fun of my whole career with Fern."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2537648/Stay-away.html

Hannelene
16-07-2009, 07:10
In a way it's a shame about John as I liked it when he was on This Morning!

Perdita
17-07-2009, 15:19
Fern Britton has said an emotional goodbye to This Morning after ten years fronting the daytime programme.

The presenter was joined by joined by a host of celebrities and former This Morning contributors during today's show, which featured several montages of her most memorable moments.

"I couldn't have worked with a nicer team than all the people sitting here today and all the cameras, the sound men, everybody who brings cups of tea! There isn't a person in this building that I don't love," she said.

Among those who turned out to celebrate her final show were Matthew Kelly, Jenny McAlpine and John Barrowman, who opened the programme with a performance of Frankie Valli's 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You'.

Ricky Gervais, Alice Cooper, Danny Dyer and former show host John Leslie were among the stars who left video messages, with the latter also performing a piano version of 'My Way' and toasting Britton with champagne.

After being presented with a specially engraved bench for her garden, Britton said: "I can't believe all these gifts and surprises. I've had the best party that a girl could ask for!"

She ended the show by telling her tearful co-host Philip Schofield: "You have given me the best six years together. We've had a ball and good luck."

Finally, Britton was accompanied from the studio by husband Phil Vickery, while the production team lined the corridors to say goodbye and Michael Ball performed 'Cabaret'.

The presenter confirmed that she was stepping down from the ITV show in March. It was recently announced that Dancing On Ice host Holly Willoughby will replace her starting in September.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a165658/fern-britton-says-goodbye-to-this-morning.html

I watched the second hour or so and found myself welling up a bit when she said good-bye :crying: The end of an era.

Katy
17-07-2009, 17:45
i watched some of her farewell and it was really nice. She really was a great presenter.

Shes back on telly tonight though as the team leader on BBC 1 quiz show As seen on TV.

sindydoll
17-07-2009, 17:57
i watched first hour! didnt find it sad because its what she wanted..she has issues so she's happy to leave

Chloe O'brien
18-07-2009, 00:32
Who was the first male presenter she was with when she started on This Morning.

sindydoll
18-07-2009, 08:16
i think it was john leslie

Chloe O'brien
18-07-2009, 23:47

No they showed a clip of her first day on this morning and she said This is This Morning and I'm Fern Britton not Judy Finnegan but the guy beside her was not John Leslie.

Abigail
18-07-2009, 23:49
Richard Madely?

Chloe O'brien
18-07-2009, 23:53
It didn't look like him either but the clip was very quick so maybe it was.

sindydoll
19-07-2009, 07:43

No they showed a clip of her first day on this morning and she said This is This Morning and I'm Fern Britton not Judy Finnegan but the guy beside her was not John Leslie.
just had a look at that clip on you tube and that guy was richard madeley and then i came accross this on a website:

After Richard and Judy left in 2001 Fern Britton and John Leslie took over, but John was accused of rape and left the show. So, Philip Schofield took his place. Phil proved a better match as co-presenter as Fern. Many viewers fondly call it The Fern and Phil show, as they have made This Morning their own. Richard and Judy had their own show, Richard and Judy on channel 4 and will soon move to UKTV to present their new show.

Perdita
19-07-2009, 07:47
It was Richard Madeley

alan45
25-03-2011, 01:14
FERN Britton last night revealed how she has buried the hatchet with her former co-host Phillip Schofield - after two years apart.
The star told TV Biz she is back in touch with her old pal from This Morning and Mr & Mrs - and he has sent her a good luck message for her new chat show.

Fern said: "I had a lovely text from Phillip Schofield last night. I can't tell you what it said - it's personal - but it was very nice, very nice indeed.

"I wasn't expecting it - it just came out of the blue last night when I was on my way home in the car. It was very sweet of him."

Fern, 53, quit This Morning just weeks after The Sun revealed Phillip was being paid THREE TIMES as much as her for Mr & Mrs.

He had signed an exclusive £2million deal with ITV so his pay was pre-agreed at £45,000 an episode. But that left just £15,000 in the kitty for Fern.

She was then replaced on This Morning by Phillip's Dancing On Ice co-host Holly Willoughby. After they parted company, Fern and Phillip never spoke publicly about each other.

But now Fern - who is married to This Morning chef Phil Vickery - is full of praise for her old TV partner.

She said: "I watch Dancing On Ice and what he does is brilliant and he knows exactly what he's doing.

"My Phil went out for lunch with him the other day but we haven't had a chance to meet up because he's been busy and I've been busy."

Now Fern is going it alone with her new 5pm weekday show, which kicks off on Channel 4 on Monday.

The programme is called Fern - and she's in two minds about the title.

She said: "It's highly embarrassing that it's called Fern, but I also feel very proud, very flattered."

Fern won't miss being part of a double act on her new show. She plans to draw support from her guests - first up is queen of comedy Miranda Hart - and her audience.

She said: "I've been an individual all my life and I only worked with Phillip for six years. The rest of my time I was an individual doing my thing."

She added: "You know what? I'm not frightened by things any more. I'm fearless. I don't care.

"If it goes well, it goes well. But if not, I tried."

Fern will run for four weeks from Monday and, if it's a hit, will return full-time in the autumn. The presenter is thriving on the pressure.

She said: "I am nervously excited. I'm not having dreams about it yet, but I expect Sunday night I will.

"Usually I dream that I've arrived late and everybody's done it before me and I've let everybody down!"

Fern, who has talked openly about her depression in the past, reckons she's happier than ever - and part of that is thanks to her medication.

She said: "Depression isn't a worry for me any more because I've got my medication absolutely right.

"It's a tiny amount a day and it just tops up my serotonin levels and keeps me fine.

"I'm not hilariously happy and hysterical - I'm just normal."

One thing that doesn't make her cheerful is high definition TV - because it shows the lines on people's faces.

She said: "Everybody looks grim in HD.

"In the olden days in Hollywood they'd have a wonderful lighting man and camera man and people looked gorgeous.

"I can see that HD is lovely for sport and wildlife, but for drama and light entertainment surely you want people to look good. I'll just have to retire when it gets too grim!"

Fern famously had a gastric band fitted to help lose weight but she insists she will never have cosmetic surgery.

And after the BBC ageism row - in which presenter Miriam O'Reilly sued the corporation - Fern caused a stir by suggesting women should accept when their TV careers are over. She said: "Sometimes there's a natural end to anyone's career, male or female."

Yesterday she stood by her comments, saying: "I've always been a freelance which has meant I've never expected to work at the end of a contract.

"I have always accepted that my career will finish at some stage.

"I can't believe it has gone on for 31 years, but it has and it will come to an end.

"And when it comes to an end the key is to know when to leave the party.

"I only say this from a personal point of view.

"I think Miriam is a very fine journalist and she was very courageous in taking everything on and going to court."