PDA

View Full Version : Dunn: 'Corrie was frustrating'

Perdita
25-03-2009, 14:08
Former Coronation Street actor Andrew Dunn has revealed that his time with the soap was "frustrating".

The 51-year-old was written out of the show in October last year when his character - plumber Roger Stiles - learned of his girlfriend Janice Battersby's (Vicky Entwhistle) lottery scam.

Reflecting on his time with the programme, he claims that he 'didn't feel part of it' as the storylines were heavily focused on a certain set of characters.

"I started off on contract, but then they used me when they wanted me - eight episodes and then I wasn't needed for six weeks," he told The Northern Echo.

"It's a bit frustrating, you don't feel part of it. They got going on storylines that only needed a handful of people and no one else was needed. The arrival of a new producer [Kim Crowther] was partly the reason my character was written out. She came in and got rid of about ten people."

He added: "I enjoyed bits of it but because I wasn't involved in it a lot it was frustrating."

Dunn is currently performing in the stage adaptation of BBC comedy series Dinnerladies in York.

The soaps seem to be doing this with some characters - they don't use them enough and then the scriptwriters/producers decide that the character has run its course, whereas a lot of the viewers just start to like them, like the Mortons for example.