PDA

View Full Version : End of British Winter time

Perdita
16-03-2009, 08:22
This coming Sunday, the clocks go forward at 2 am. I don't have a problem with the change of time, it is only one hour, but I know lots of people that find it difficult to adjust. Is it really worth though having the change of time in March and October to save energy? What do you think?

sindydoll
16-03-2009, 08:32
its on the 28th isnt it?

Perdita
16-03-2009, 08:36
The time always changes at 2 am of the last Sunday in March and October, so it happens next on 29th March.

sindydoll
16-03-2009, 08:41
im working that weekend... i lose an hour :crying: can tell spring is on the way im hanging my washing out

di marco
16-03-2009, 13:34
This coming Sunday, the clocks go forward at 2 am. I don't have a problem with the change of time, it is only one hour, but I know lots of people that find it difficult to adjust. Is it really worth though having the change of time in March and October to save energy? What do you think?

is it to save energy? i thought it was so daylight was at regular times?

Perdita
16-03-2009, 14:03

I am sure it is to safe energy, the days are getting longer, hence less need for light etc. The same in October when the clocks go back, this again makes the natural day light last longer, for a few weeks, anyway.

Abigail
16-03-2009, 14:21
I'm looking forward to spring and summer. The weather here is pretty good already, haven't worn a coat for a week.

The clock changes also has something to do with travelling to work in the dark. Apparently the number of RTCs is higher during darker hours.

di marco
16-03-2009, 15:33

I am sure it is to safe energy, the days are getting longer, hence less need for light etc. The same in October when the clocks go back, this again makes the natural day light last longer, for a few weeks, anyway.

oh right, i thought it was just so theres more daylight hours in the day, but it could also link in with the energy thing

di marco
16-03-2009, 15:34
I'm looking forward to spring and summer. The weather here is pretty good already, haven't worn a coat for a week.

same here, yesterday i went out in a hoodie and i was so hot!

.:SpIcYsPy:.
16-03-2009, 16:18
Weather is so beautiful today! I hate the whole time changing thing, especially when it feels like your losing an hour :(

Perdita
16-03-2009, 16:19
It is still miserable and cold here, can't remember the last time I saw the sun :angry: Hate it. :(

Trinity
16-03-2009, 16:25
We were talking about the whole 'spring forward, fall back' thing at work.

Apparently, it was originally proposed to stop lazy working class folks like us from sleeping away half the day.

When it was actually brought in the energy efficiency thing was paramount - amazingly back in 1905!

Here is what Wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Abbie
16-03-2009, 18:39
No one less hour in bed :(

On the up side the weather has been really nice lately

di marco
17-03-2009, 10:34
Apparently, it was originally proposed to stop lazy working class folks like us from sleeping away half the day.

haha how does that work? surely by losing an hour youll waste more of the day in bed trying to catch up?

Abigail
17-03-2009, 11:57
It's natural to sleep more during the winter because of the short days and dark mornings. In summer, when the sun is up at 6am people feel more energetic and so don't sleep in half the day. Partly why I like summer so much, I'm usually up by 9am compared to 12pm in winter.

di marco
17-03-2009, 12:15
It's natural to sleep more during the winter because of the short days and dark mornings. In summer, when the sun is up at 6am people feel more energetic and so don't sleep in half the day. Partly why I like summer so much, I'm usually up by 9am compared to 12pm in winter.

my biology teacher told us that your body naturally wants to sleep when its dark and wake up when its light. but i dont think it makes a different to me, i sleep the same amount summer and winter! although i still dont see how it was introduced to stop people sleeping through most of the day as when the clocks go forward it makes the mornings darker for a bit so surely it would make the problem worse?

Trinity
17-03-2009, 12:29

my biology teacher told us that your body naturally wants to sleep when its dark and wake up when its light. but i dont think it makes a different to me, i sleep the same amount summer and winter! although i still dont see how it was introduced to stop people sleeping through most of the day as when the clocks go forward it makes the mornings darker for a bit so surely it would make the problem worse?

The clocks go back in the autumn when the mornings are getting dark, we get an extra hour of sun light in the morning then when we need it.

When the clocks go forward in the spring the mornings are getting lighter naturally, so it is soon compensated for.

parkerman
17-03-2009, 12:50
We were talking about the whole 'spring forward, fall back' thing at work.

When it was actually brought in the energy efficiency thing was paramount - amazingly back in 1905!

Here is what Wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
As you will see from the article, Daylight Saving was actually first introduced in to the UK on May 21, 1916 as an aid to the war effort.

Chloe O'brien
29-03-2009, 00:28
Don't forget to put your clock forward 1 hour at 1am this morning.

sindydoll
29-03-2009, 07:12
boy im feeling a bit tired this morning:lol: i set my alarm for 6 so its like 5 :(

Katy
29-03-2009, 10:35
I was walking back home at half 2 and realised, my lecturer reminding us and wer were all like is it the good change or the bad one!

Abbie
29-03-2009, 12:04
I put my clock forward :( I was really tired when my alarm went off so I went back to sleep

I have to work today so I keep checking the time to make sure its right so im not late or anything

Perdita
24-03-2010, 10:02
It is happening again this Saturday .... the clocks go forward one hour :(( But at least that means it is spring time and it is warming up a bit after such a long winter :)

Siobhan
24-03-2010, 10:04
Yeah, at least the night will be brighter for longer.. just don't like the dark mornings

alan45
24-03-2010, 10:54
I was supposed to start work at 0530 on Sunday morning which would have meant an hour less in bed which in my case would have meant about two hours sleep. Fortunately a colleague wanted to swap a shift with me so Im not starting until 1400. What a lucky escape. I wonder if he has realised.

Abigail
27-03-2010, 22:23
Clocks go forward one hour tonight

Chloe O'brien
27-03-2010, 22:50
Yeah great spring is here. and we have snow forecast for next week. Lovely

Perdita
27-03-2010, 22:57
You are joking, right? :eek:

Chloe O'brien
27-03-2010, 23:14
No I'm serious the north of scotland is to have snow early in the week and it could move southwards.

megan999
28-03-2010, 17:17
Please don't let the snow come down to the South East!!! According to the 5 day forecast, Wednesday will be only 7 degrees and sleeting in London. :( Personally, it takes me a whole week to get used to Daylight Saving. And that's only one hour, no wonder when I go on holiday my jet lag is so bad!! :thumbsdow But I do love having extra daylight, it makes me feel happy :D

Perdita
28-03-2010, 17:45
We are all in for a bit of a chilly time again :( Off to Spain of Friday, hope that it is better there but they have had a lot of rain recently

Chris_2k11
28-03-2010, 18:05
My dad's in spain at the minute Perdy, weather's alright apparently :)

Perdita
28-03-2010, 18:06
where in Spain is he, Chris :)

Chris_2k11
28-03-2010, 18:08
ive forgotten now :lol: haha hes back on wednesday i'll ask him

Abigail
28-03-2010, 22:28
Sun didn't start setting until 8pm today in the west Midlands :)

StarsOfCCTV
28-03-2010, 22:34
I want my hour of sleep back. :p

Abigail
28-03-2010, 22:43
You can have it back in six months :p

Chloe O'brien
31-03-2010, 12:44
Monday afternoon it' started raining heavely. It rained not stop until 9pm last night then it changed to snow and that fell for most of the night. Sub zero tempatures again :angry:

StarsOfCCTV
31-03-2010, 23:00
You can have it back in six months :p

No fair. :lol:

British Summer Time....Pfft. Let me know when it arrives I'm going back to my duvet to hibernate. :lol:

Perdita
23-02-2011, 08:02
Longer evenings could move a step closer with a government plan to move UK clocks forward an extra hour.

A "tourism strategy" will include a plan to move the clocks in line with most of Europe, bringing lighter evenings but darker mornings.

Tourism chiefs and safety campaigners support the move, but there are fears in Scotland about road accidents.

Ministers want to be satisfied the country backs the plan before giving the go-ahead, the BBC understands.

Last year, Prime Minister David Cameron indicated he was willing to consider a switch.

"The argument will be won when people across the country feel comfortable with the change," he said in August.

"It's up to those who want to make the change to make the argument to try to convince people right across the country that it's a good thing.

"People who like taking part in sporting activity and would like longer days are already quite easy to sway. That's the key to winning this argument."

Dr Mayer Hillman explains the advantages and disadvantages of the UK moving ahead of GMT
The proposals will be published by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the coming week, the BBC has been told.

Three-year trial

Bringing the clocks forward by one hour would bring the UK into line with Central European Time (CET), which is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) plus one hour.

It would mean, for instance, that instead of the sun rising in Newcastle-upon-Tyne at 0714 and setting at 1723, as it does at this time of year, it would rise at 0814 and set at 1823.

Tourism bosses say the number of overseas visitors would increase if summer evenings were lighter and they estimate the benefits to the economy could total billions of pounds.

But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.

A parliamentary bill requiring the government to conduct analysis of the costs and benefits of shifting the clocks forward received MPs' initial approval in December.

A three-year experiment to keep BST all year took place between 1968 and 1971, but was not made permanent.

BBC News

Chloe O'brien
23-02-2011, 10:04
They need to leave the time alone. It's flamming dark enough in the mornings up here as it is without mucking around with the clocks. If people want to have the same time-zone as the rest of Europe move across the water.

StarsOfCCTV
24-02-2011, 11:18
An interesting article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12536056

Perdita
26-03-2011, 22:56
Remember all, clocks go forward at 2am 27th March 2011 :))

Perdita
26-03-2016, 04:42
Clocks change tomorrow at 2am, 27th March 2016

http://www.1000sads.com/photos/2015-03/57375/mediums/1427399088_clocksgoforward.jpg