PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to be on Millionaire?

Perdita
27-02-2009, 05:58
CHRIS Tarrant has given his strongest hint yet that he is about to quit as host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

The star revealed yesterday he has only signed up to present the show until next year.

In an extremely telling comment, Tarrant said: “Yes, I'm still doing Millionaire until 2010, so we’ve had a pretty good run with that.”

The show started in 1998 and has since been remade across the globe.

It is also the focus of the multi-Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire.

Tarrant, 62, is now presenting new ITV1 quiz show The Colour of Money which launched on Saturday with four million viewers.

A source close to the star told TV Biz: “Chris only has a contract on Millionaire that runs up until next year. We’ve had no discussions about anything at the moment.

“We don’t exactly have a crystal ball — who can tell what will happen? Chris is constantly being offered new projects.”

Tarrant is paid around £50,000 an episode for Millionaire.

ITV pays Sony Pictures Television around £200,000 an episode for 30 each year.

Meanwhile, Tarrant yesterday told This Morning that he has developed asthma during his manic career in television. Tarrant revealed: “Doctors have said that I am a classic case where years of working long hours in radio and television studios have developed it.

“I will be doing a trek around China to raise funds and awareness for asthma sufferers along with cricket star Darren Gough and runner Paula Radcliffe, who are also sufferers.”

Tarrant was also delighted about Slumdog’s sensational haul of EIGHT Oscars on Sunday night.

He said: “It was surreal to see Slumdog. It’s a great film and I’m thrilled with the best picture Oscar. But I have to say that I have never taken any contestant to the toilet!”

DETAILS of the China trek this autumn can be found on www.itv.com/thismorning and www.asthma.org.uk/qa_chris_tarrant

Abigail
27-02-2009, 15:25
Does anyone still watch this? It was good in the first year or so, I remember always watching with my parents on a Saturday night.

Abbie
27-02-2009, 17:12
I used to watch LOADS!

I find it dull now

Chris_2k11
27-02-2009, 22:02
This show is ridiculously past its sell by date :eek: I hope if he is giving it up thats the end of it.

Perdita
28-02-2009, 07:52
Chris Tarrant will continue to host Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, show bosses have confirmed.

Tabloid reports had suggested that the presenter may quit the ITV programme when his contract runs out in 2010.

He earlier told This Morning: "I'm still doing Millionaire until 2010 so we've had a pretty good run with that."

However, a spokesperson insisted that Tarrant's comments were misunderstood, adding: "Chris is not quitting the show and it was not his intention to imply that.

"Millionaire is recommissioned on a series-by-series basis, and we have just signed a new deal taking us into 2010. This is absolutely as per usual, and we are delighted to clarify that Chris will continue to host the show."

Tarrant, who has helmed the quiz since it began in 1998, told DS earlier this year that he will only stand down when the job is no longer enjoyable.