PDA

View Full Version : Demons axed

Perdita
26-02-2009, 06:06
BIG budget vampire drama Demons is set to be axed — after its star Philip Glenister quit.
ITV’s Saturday night sci-fi series cost millions to make.

It was launched amid a big fanfare last month and kicked off with more than six million viewers.

But the show soon slumped in the ratings, losing three million viewers over its brief run.

The final nail in the coffin was when Philip, 46, refused to return for another series.

The actor, best known for playing tough-talking DCI Gene Hunt in the top-rated Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, had come under fire from the critics for a dodgy American accent as vampire hunter Rupert Galvin.

Philip had revealed: “Rupert was written as a Texan originally and I thought b*****ks to that — I’m not playing a Texan.

“They said I could play him as English, but I wanted to have the challenge of playing an American.”

A TV source said: “ITV spent millions on Demons — but things have not worked out. Philip made it clear he would not come back. He’s busy filming, with a second series of Ashes to Ashes and has other shows in the pipeline.

“It’s a shame, but it’s a tough time for TV — there is just not the money to spend on big projects and then continue if they’re not immediately a success.”

Earlier this year, ITV axed a £4million adaptation of EM Forster’s A Passage To India to save cash.

:( :(

DaVeyWaVey
26-02-2009, 07:52
A big budget? Some of the costume/props used looked like they were bought from a cheap joke shop.

Not really surprising news..

Perdita
26-02-2009, 08:01
I only managed to see the first episode and quite liked it :o

Bad Wolf
26-02-2009, 08:04
it was dodgy at best, a few good bits, but it just seemed to lack something

Trinity
26-02-2009, 09:15
I did watch every episode, it was pretty pedestrian - but not bad for ITV who do not have a good record with sci-fi/fantasy.

Chloe O'brien
26-02-2009, 11:09
I watched it because Phillip was in it. It wasn't brilliant as Davey said the props and special effects were poor.

Perdita
26-02-2009, 13:01
I watched it because of Philip, OH must have guessed and vetoed further viewing :( Probably did not notice the props and special effects because I was drooling too much :D