PDA

View Full Version : Oz celebrates 'Neighbours' Harold exit

Perdita
24-02-2009, 18:26
Celebrations will start later this week to commemorate the departure of Neighbours star Ian Smith, who plays Harold Bishop in the Australian soap.

A large group of tuba players are expected to descend on the streets of Sydney to play the show's theme tune and hand out 'I Heart Harold' memorabilia on February 26, the day before Smith makes his screen exit.

A campaign has also started for the actor to be given a Golden Logie at this year's Australian awards.

Harold Bishop has been at the heart of Ramsay Street for 20 years. The character has suffered a number of highs and lows in his time, including the death of wife Madge, a bout of amnesia and a Paul Robinson-planned explosion which blew up his beloved coffee shop.

After travelling the country for months, Bishop was recently diagnosed with cancer and will leave Erinsborough for Queensland to the sounds of a Salvation Army band.

Smith, 70, announced his intention to make a permanent departure from the soap last August. The previous November, he had confirmed that he was reducing his commitment to the programme and would only play Harold on a part-time basis.

Smith's UK exit from the show will be aired on Five in late April.

CrazyLea
24-02-2009, 18:41
I was asked earlier, and I wasn't really sure, but does he die??

Abbie
24-02-2009, 19:29
Is he actually leaving this time?

Jessie Wallace
25-02-2009, 02:08
yes he is leaving and no he doesn't die!

Perdita
25-02-2009, 10:25
Ian Smith has described his departure from Neighbours as "very, very sad".

The actor, who has played Harold Bishop in the soap since 1987, leaves Australian screens on Friday and admitted that he felt overwhelmed by the public response to his departure.

"If I had known this was going to happen I would have retired ages ago," he told Australia's Daily Telegraph.

"I'm very, very sad. I can still remember my first episode - knocking on the door of number 24 and Kylie [Minogue] answering it. I will always remember my last episode. The 22 years in between are a bit hazy."

Celebrations are being held later this week in Sydney to commemorate the character's departure, including a large group of tuba players taking to the streets and handing out Harold Bishop memorabilia.

Fans of the show have been leaving messages of support on the Neighbours website and have called for Smith to win a Golden Logie award.

"It's very nice of my fans. The fact that they're doing it is prize enough," the actor added.

Smith's UK exit from the show will be aired on Five in late April.

StarsOfCCTV
25-02-2009, 15:56
Oh yay he doesn't die :D

Perdita
28-02-2009, 07:54
Neighbours actor Ryan Moloney has admitted that he is "very sad" that Ian Smith has left the Australian soap.

Smith, who has played Harold Bishop since 1987, announced his decision to quit the programme last August.

Moloney, who joined the show as Jarred 'Toadie' Rebecchi in 1995, admitted that the departure of established actors is always difficult.

"It is very sad. After spending so many years with them they become a part of your life," he told DS.

"They've been with you so long and experienced a whole range of things with you. When you don't see them every day, they're missed. Absolutely."

When asked which cast member has taught him the most over the years, he replied: "Probably Smithy. He's a very funny bloke with a lot of skill. I've definitely learned a lot from him."

Smith made his last appearance on Australian screens this week in episodes that will air on Five in late April. Celebrations were held in Sydney esarlier this week to commemorate his time on the show.

Moloney added that the departure of Harold could also have an impact on the future of his character Toadie in Ramsay Street.

"Harold is a bit of his rock, his stable moral compass who can always be his sounding board. Oddly, when it's time for Harold to go, there's a big part of Toadie that is leaving as well. He's not too happy about it but time marches on," he said.