PDA

View Full Version : Ofcom clears 'Enders paedophile plot

Perdita
23-02-2009, 12:05
Communications regulator Ofcom has ruled that EastEnders' controversial paedophile plot was handled "appropriately and sensitively" and therefore was not in breach of the broadcasting code.

At the end of last year, the soap tackled a child abuse storyline that saw Tony King (Chris Coghill) being released from prison, before arriving in Albert Sqaure to continue his secret relationship with his 15-year-old step-daughter Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty).

It later transpired that their involvement with each other had been ongoing for three years, starting when Whitney was 12.

Between the first and last episode of the storyline arc - the period of September 12 to December 9 - Ofcom received 90 complaints from viewers who believed the material to be inappropriate for a pre-watershed time slot. Meanwhile, the BBC received more than 163 complaints.

Other viewers were concerned as to the suitability of the content, given the proportion of children under 15 who tune in, while some claimed that the material "implied that such child abuse is acceptable and even consensual".

Despite viewers' concerns, Ofcom has ruled that the subject matter was treated "appropriately and sensitively" and "did not necessarily exceed the boundaries of acceptability".

Instead, the storyline "actually had a positive impact" on the audience, since it prompted a large number of real-life victims to call the BBC Action Line, while others wrote to the show's producers describing their similar experiences.

Ofcom pointed out that EastEnders has, over the years, tackled similar issues in storylines, including 13-year-old Kat Slater's rape by her uncle Harry and Bianca's (Patsy Palmer) under-age relationship with her mother Carol Jackson's boyfriend, Dan Sullivan.

It was noted that the distinguishing feature of the Tony/Whitney plot, compared with others of the same ilk, was that it saw some 'abuse' play out on screen, while it also depicted, to an extent, the 'grooming' process whereby the paedophile gains their victim's trust. This issue was further tackled in a later sub-plot which saw Tony turn his attentions to Lauren Branning (Madeline Duggan).

Ofcom has deemed that various bedroom scenes which raised concerns among viewers were 'appropriately limited for a pre-watershed programme', noting that neither Whitney nor Tony was ever 'shown in bed, unclothed or engaged in anything more intimate than brief kissing'.

Finally, Ofcom ruled that the climax to the storyline, which saw Tony being arrested after his partner Bianca called the police, provided 'an appropriate conclusion'.

In addition, the BBC's close working relationship with the NSPCC, The Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre, the Metropolitan Police and social workers ensured that the plot 'was a true reflection of the way such child abuse takes place'.

Abbie
23-02-2009, 22:17
Im good glad it ended like this

I thought the storyline was handled very well

Siobhan
24-02-2009, 10:49
I thought it was handled extremely well and not just left like that either.. we are still seen reprocussion from this in Whitney.. stuff like this just doesn't end in really life to I am glad EE haven't just stopped it

Perdita
24-02-2009, 10:51
I agree, a lot of storylines seem to end abruptly and viewers are left wondering what happened afterwards. Here they keep showing the effect of the abuse, well done to EE.

JustJodi
24-02-2009, 13:02
I do not think it really ends for the victims, Whitney started stealing things soon after Tony was arrested..She really needs some professional help, since Bianca is such an immature and uneducated twit, she just does not see it that way. Whitney will need loads of support, Didn't the social worker say that Tony was released ?? Does that mean that Whitney will forever be looking over her shoulder expecting to see Tony in the shadows some where on the square??? Its rough on the victims !!!!!
I think that EE handled the story very well

di marco
24-02-2009, 23:23
im glad ofcom decided it didnt breach any broadcasting rights. i think it was handled really well

di marco
24-02-2009, 23:25
Didn't the social worker say that Tony was released ?? Does that mean that Whitney will forever be looking over her shoulder expecting to see Tony in the shadows some where on the square??? Its rough on the victims !!!!!
I think that EE handled the story very well

he was released on bail cos whitney wouldnt give a statement, however he broke his bail conditions by going to see whitney and therefore was put back in prison. the other day it was mentioned that tonys case would go to trial as he was pleading not guilty