PDA

View Full Version : To bleach or not to bleach?

Rawnie
04-02-2009, 18:26
Ok.. so I've been dyeing my hair for almost a year now, and I had red hair for ages until the winter when I decided I wanted to bleach it and dye it blonde. It came out orange and so I dyed it back to red. When my roots started to grow out I dyed it black, not realising how dark it actually was. Even though the black suited me, I wanted to have red hair again and so I thought, for some bizarre reason, dyeing red over the top would work. My hair is now black with red bits, and now my roots are coming through. I really want to have red hair again but I'm just worried my hair might fall out. I was planning on bleaching over the black (not on the roots) and then dyeing it red, but I really don't want to be bald.. I can't afford to have it done professionally though.

What do you think I should do? Will my hair fall out if I bleach it too much?

Abbie
04-02-2009, 18:57
You can get this stuff that will remove the dye from your hair and return to natural colour so you could start again if you wanted?

I cant remember what its called, I was in the hairdressers one time and this other guy asked about it and my hair dresser asked about it. Im sure if you went into a small local hair dressers they will tell you about it

Rawnie
04-02-2009, 18:58
I'll do that. Thanks :)

di marco
04-02-2009, 19:11
itll be really difficult to bleach your hair after dying it black, my sis friend did that and the hairdresser said that she would either have to let it grow out or have the dye removing thing which abbie mentioned but they advised her not to have that cos it can seriously damage your hair if youve dyed it too much already

Abbie
04-02-2009, 19:13
Oh sorry I didnt know about that, it was just a random guy that walked in and asked cos he accidently dyed his hair white or something on

Still ask a hairdresser or something they will always know better

Rawnie
04-02-2009, 19:14
Right.. well, I'm not going to let it grow out.. I'd look rather stupid with black, then a ring of red where my roots were, and my natural brown colour :p

I'll ask at the hairdressers..

di marco
04-02-2009, 19:19
Right.. well, I'm not going to let it grow out.. I'd look rather stupid with black, then a ring of red where my roots were, and my natural brown colour :p

I'll ask at the hairdressers..

lol yeh i dont think anyone would let their hair just grow out! asking a hairdresser is probably best, although it might be expensive

Rawnie
04-02-2009, 19:24
It's weird... because the black is from ages ago and the red is fairly new, both colours are starting to fade together - it's like a dark reddish-brown now.. People keep asking me if I've done something with my hair :rotfl:

If it's expensive I guess I'll just dye it like, a slightly lighter colour to the black, like brown and just put up with it.

no1abbafan
04-02-2009, 19:29
You need to take it back to its natural colour and start again, I was blonde highlights and wanted to go reddish, so i took it back to mousey brown (my natural colour) then put in the red colour afterwards and it was fine.

Abigail
04-02-2009, 20:54
Ok.. so I've been dyeing my hair for almost a year now, and I had red hair for ages until the winter when I decided I wanted to bleach it and dye it blonde. It came out orange and so I dyed it back to red. When my roots started to grow out I dyed it black, not realising how dark it actually was. Even though the black suited me, I wanted to have red hair again and so I thought, for some bizarre reason, dyeing red over the top would work. My hair is now black with red bits, and now my roots are coming through. I really want to have red hair again but I'm just worried my hair might fall out. I was planning on bleaching over the black (not on the roots) and then dyeing it red, but I really don't want to be bald.. I can't afford to have it done professionally though.

After doing all that to your hair, I'd go to the hairdressers and get advice before dying or stripping it.

It's really difficult to strip black or dye over it with a home kit.

Rawnie
09-02-2009, 19:42
I ended up bleaching it and then dyeing over it. I'm officially ginger, but I like it so it's ok.

Thanks everyone :)

sindydoll
29-07-2009, 23:57

i used to go to the hair dressers to have my hair bleached so it couldnt go wrong! i got mine bleached for years and it did no harm! has long has it gets plenty of hair treatment it will be fine