PDA

View Full Version : Floating Cities

di marco
29-01-2009, 13:15
Are these the answer to the threat of rising sea levels? One architect believes floating cities could offer a safe haven for people who have lost their homes to flooding.

Rather than building up our city's defences with dams, architect Vincent Callebaut has put forward an alternative future for the victims of rising water if current climate change predictions take affect.

The floating ecopolis, inspired by Amazonian lilypads, are designed to be completely self-sufficient in both power and water, through solar power, wind turbines and rainfall collection.

click on the link to see some of the designs for these:

http://environment.uk.msn.com/climate-change/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=8832619

Trinity
29-01-2009, 13:17
Wow, these look amazing.

Looks a lot like Atlantis in stargate!

di marco
29-01-2009, 13:48
yeh they do look amazing! dunno if id want to live on one permanently though

Perdita
29-01-2009, 13:51
Are they supposed to be permanent homes or just until the residents can find a new home on land again? And I would be worried that it would be unsafe in a bad storm with huge waves crashing down on them.

di marco
29-01-2009, 13:58
Are they supposed to be permanent homes or just until the residents can find a new home on land again? And I would be worried that it would be unsafe in a bad storm with huge waves crashing down on them.

i think its permanent homes to replace homes which are on areas prone to floods as these wont flood, could be wrong though

Abbie
29-01-2009, 22:46
wow they really do look amazing!