PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Perdita
24-01-2009, 18:18
Jade Ewen is the Your Country Needs You act who is most worthy of representing the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest, a new poll suggests.

More than 65% of voters in a poll organised by Eurovision fansite esctoday.com chose Ewen ahead of her rivals The Twins, Emperors of Soul and Mark Evans.

Esctoday's Barry Viniker told the Daily Star: "Fans have had their say and they believe that Jade has got to win Your Country Needs You. She has the look, the legs, the smile, the voice and the moves."

Tonight's episode of the BBC One competition will see Ewen and her rival contestants competing for a place in the final.

The winner will battle on behalf of the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest 2009, which is being held in Moscow in May.

Trinity
24-01-2009, 18:37
She certainly has the legs! But then so do the twins and so did the wee redhead who was voted off last week.

Why do singers need to look like lingerie models?

Perdita
24-01-2009, 18:42
That is showbiz for you, not so good looking and non-skinny people never stand a chance unless they are absolutely exceptional, like Paul Potts for example. And they don't keep those looks for long as dental procedures or fitness regimes are quickly introduced.

Trinity
24-01-2009, 18:52
Well - I guess the Emperors of Soul have had it then, lol

Chloe O'brien
24-01-2009, 18:58
It doesn't matter who the public choose to win it's going to be pointless. We could have Take That as our entry and still end up with NIL POINTS.

Abbie
24-01-2009, 22:52
Ive already made a thread about the program Your country needs you 2009

I think Jade is best out of the lot of them anyway, I missed it tonight

Debs
25-01-2009, 13:26
I wanted emporeres of soul to stay!! I really dont like jade at all but tbh i couldnt care a fig who wins now, we will still come bottom with nil points!!!

Perdita
25-01-2009, 14:08
The three acts to perform in the live final of Your Country Needs You have been chosen.

Jade Ewen, Mark Evans, and twins Francine and Nicola Gleadall will battle it out for the top spot on the BBC talent show and the honour of representing the UK at this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The lineup was revealed after show supremo Andrew Lloyd Webber voted to save Ewen over rivals Emperors Of Soul on last night's programme.

The winning act will perform a song written by Lloyd Webber and Grammy-winning songwriter Diane Warren at the Eurovision competition, being held in Moscow on May 16.

Perdita
31-01-2009, 16:26
Andrew Lloyd Webber has revealed that he may not attend the Eurovision Song Contest final if he disagrees with the public's choice of UK representative.

The theatre composer agreed to write this year's entry in October and has since been searching for an act who will perform it.

Jade Ewan, Mark Evans and twin sisters Francine and Nicola Gleadall have now reached the last round of Lloyd Webber's reality show Your Country Needs You. The winning act will represent the UK at the Eurovision final in Moscow later this year.

However, speaking to the BBC ahead of tonight's public vote, Lloyd Webber admitted that he "might not go" to Russia if the public backs the wrong act.

"I absolutely know that it would be a mistake to put through somebody who didn't appear to do the song justice," he explained, adding that he would have to "spend quite a lot more time" with one of the acts.

Lloyd Webber also confirmed that he cannot choose between his two favourite contenders. He continued: "If I haven't got the right act there's nothing I can really do to change it."

Perdita
13-02-2009, 06:34
Ronan Keating has written Denmark's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Boyzone singer penned a song called 'Believe Again' which will be performed by Niels Brinck at this year's competition in Moscow on May 19.

"It wasn't written as a Eurovision song, it was just written as a pop song with this guy from Denmark," Keating told BBC Radio 1.

"One thing lead to another and this guy covered it and he ended up going into the competition into the final ten and it won."

The star, who is preparing to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief, added that Boyzone are currently working on their first new studio album in over ten years.

"We're back in the studio, so we'll have a new album out for the end of the year hopefully," he said.

Fellow bandmember Stephen Gately recently revealed that he is eager for Mark Ronson to produce the group's new record.

Perdita
23-02-2009, 06:16
Gary Barlow has been enlisted to help Jade Ewen achieve Eurovision glory at this year's contest in Moscow.

The 21-year-old Londoner was selected as the UK's entry last month after triumphing on the BBC show Your Country Needs You.

Ewen has been taken under the wing of theatre impresario Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, who has promised to play the piano for the hopeful when she performs at the event on May 16.

However, Barlow has now been added to the team to help with Ewen's performance techniques, according to the Daily Star. Lloyd Webber said: "Gary is the man to do the job on the pop front."

The sessions may have to wait until the Take That singer returns from a charity hike up Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief. Barlow has been resting after sustaining a back injury in training for the 19,330ft ascend.

Perdita
11-03-2009, 08:31
Georgia's entry has been ruled unacceptable by organisers of the Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow, because of some of its lyrics.

The disco-funk song, We Don't Wanna Put In, appears to poke fun at Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

However, it is against the competition's rules to allow political content in entries.

A contest spokesman said: "No lyrics, speeches, gestures of a political or similar nature shall be permitted."

The event, which is being held in the Russian capital in May, is taking place less than a year after Russia and Georgia went to war over the region of South Ossetia.

Relations between the two countries have been tense for several years.

Georgia initially announced it would not take part in the Moscow contest due to political objections, but the decision was reversed in December.

The song, which was chosen by a public vote and jury, was due to be performed by female trio 3G along with male vocalist Stephane.

The song, which has a distinct 1970s feel, contains the chorus: "We don't wanna put in, the negative move, it's killin' the groove."

Even the title of the song appears to be a play on the politician's name.

The Geneva-based European Broadcasting Union, which runs the contest, said Georgia can rewrite the lyrics of its entry or select another song.

Natya Uznadze, the group's producer, said they had yet to receive official confirmation of the decision.

Vladimir Smirnov from Russia's state-run Channel One - which will broadcast the contest - said the network had nothing to do with the decision.

Russia won the right to host the annual event after winning last year's competition.

Perdita
30-04-2009, 06:14
THERE really is no hope for the United Kingdom this year, as DITA VON TEESE looks set to steal the Eurovision title for Germany.

The burlesque sex-kitten is joining forces with the German entry into the annual popfest.

She will appear on stage alongside ALEX CHRISTENSEN and OSCAR LOYA to play the part of Miss Kiss Kiss Bang in their tune.

Let's hope Dita wiggles her breast assets as they sing: "Mrs Kiss Kiss Bang she's not a fool/ Extraordinary and oh so cool.

"When I feel the touch of her sweet lips/ I know this is a devil's kiss.

"She sets my soul on fire with no return/ Oh baby just burn burn burn."

MARILYN MANSON's former squeeze reckons she can help turn around the country's bad luck.

She told BILD: “I hope that our collaboration will win.”

Germany has not done well in recent years, with Eastern European countries refusing to hand out points.

Hopefully Dita, real name Heather Sweet, can save them this year at the bash in Moscow on May 16.

From The Sun

Chloe O'brien
30-04-2009, 11:51
It wouldn't matter who was representing the UK we would still get Nil Points as its all down to politics.

Perdita
30-04-2009, 11:54
I am hoping that politics will be kept out of this year's contest, but you are probably going to be right.

Abbie
03-05-2009, 21:03
I still enjoy watching

Perdita
13-05-2009, 08:24
Jade Ewen

Since Jessica Garlick finished third in 2002, Britain's Eurovision record runs as follows: 26th, 16th, 22nd, 19th, 23rd, 25th. Ouch! Little wonder we're taking things more seriously this year, with a song written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, a mighty-lunged singer chosen in an X Factor-style TV contest and a promotional tour of 20 European cities to drum up advance support. Does our Eurovision hopeful think it's paid off? We gave Jade Ewen a call to find out.

How are you feeling then?
"I'm really excited actually. I was trying to predict how I'd feel come the week of the competition and I thought I'd be really nervous and an emotional wreck, but I actually feel quite good."

When do you think the nerves will kick in?
"I guess if they do it'll be 30 seconds before I have to go on and do it for real. This performance is different - aside from the fact there's so many people watching - because every time I've performed the song so far I've been on my own. Eurovision will be the first time I've had someone else on stage with me. I'll have someone to share the pressure with me because Andrew's going to be joining me onstage on piano. I feel pretty relaxed around Andrew - he actually helps to calm me down."

Has he kept in touch while you've been out promoting the record?
"Yeah, but I've spoken to him more than I've seen him. I did see him quite a bit for the first month after the show, but then it got pretty hectic with me doing the touring. But he's coming out a few days before the competition so I'll have a bit of time with him before Saturday."

You've been touring Europe to drum up support for your performance on Saturday. What's the reaction been like?
"Really good. I haven't had a negative reaction from anywhere. I've been almost overwhelmed by it. Wherever we've gone, everyone seems to know everything about the song and they're really enthusiastic. I've been getting cheers and standing ovations. It's been particularly good in Russia as well, which is nice."

Do you think your tour's succeeded in dispelling the notion that the UK doesn't take Eurovision seriously?
"I definitely think so. My video's been played over 250 times on MTV Russia, the song's all over the radio and my single was given away free in Russian OK! magazine. Everyone keeps saying, 'We don't understand why you haven't done this before, but we're glad you've come to our country'. They feel quite honoured that we've taken time out to come to them to perform."

It shows a bit of humility - we know we can't just turn up and expect to do well.
"Exactly. It's particularly important for us because we go straight to the final - we don't have to go through the semis. I can understand their frustration if they feel we haven't really worked for it and go straight to the final taking someone else's position."

Voting's been changed this year - it's now 50% panel, 50% public - but are you still worried about the effect of "political voting"?
"Um... I keep hearing about it, but it's not a problem I've seen or experienced. So far the best support I've received is from the Eastern Bloc - and that's meant to be the area where they all vote for each other. We'll see on the night, but I don't think it's going to be the same this year. I think we've tried to tackle it from all areas. The panel will definitely help because it's a non-biased thing, but the tour will hopefully contribute to the votes as well."

Position-wise, do you have a specific aim for Saturday?
"I'd be happy with top three, but I'm aiming for number one. If you're not ambitious you set yourself up for failure."

What can we expect from your performance?
"I'm not allowed to say too much, but it's definitely going to be a classy and tasteful performance. Even though it's Eurovision we're not trying to pull out any gimmicks, but that said it's not going to be boring - I'm not going to stand there and do the whole thing on one spot. I'd say it's a traditionally British performance."

You recently signed a deal with Polydor. How's work going on your album?
"I've recorded six songs so far but we've had to put it on hold this last month because of Eurovision. After Eurovision I'm planning a trip to LA and then another trip to Sweden and Denmark to work with some really cool producers. The next single should be out in the summer and hopefully the album will be ready for the autumn."

Will the album be quite different from 'It's My Time'?
"Very different. 'It's My Time' feels lyrically like it's part of my life story, but it's not naturally the style that I'd do. I'm influenced by people like Britney and Aretha and Michael Jackson. I've done a lot of dancing from a young age so I want to incorporate that into my album and my gigs. There will be ballads of course - Diane Warren wants to do a couple more songs - but they'll probably be a bit more Whitney or Celine-ish."

Is there any truth to the rumours that you've been working with Gary Barlow?
"I don't know where that's come from because I've not even met him! I mean, if he offered me a song I would definitely love it but I haven't heard anything yet."

Which other producers and songwriters have you been working with?
"I've worked with Ina Wroldsen, who's written for Pussycat Dolls and The Saturdays, but the stuff she's written for me is very different to what I've heard from The Saturdays. I've also worked with Guy Chambers and a Swedish producer called Cutfather. I'm definitely trying to go for number one - that's the theme this year."

Are you confident you'll be able to move on from Eurovision and establish a long-term career?
"I am actually. The whole idea of being tarnished with the Eurovision title was definitely a reservation for me at the beginning, but I can't necessarily help the votes and how people view Eurovision itself. But I can definitely help my credibility and my performance, so that's what I'm focusing on."

Jade Ewen performs at the Eurovision Song Contest, airing Saturday at 8pm on BBC One. 'It's My Time' is available to download now.

Abbie
13-05-2009, 14:30
I watched the semi last night, some good ones went through

the presenters are INSANE as usual
And Jade has been promoting the song in like 13 countries

I know we wont win but I still like watching, the main thing now though is not winning but getting higher up

If it makes anyone feel better im part of another forum that has members from like everywhere and in laods of european countries and they have said they like it and a few have said top 5 :p doubt that will happen though :lol:

sindydoll
13-05-2009, 15:45
I am hoping that politics will be kept out of this year's contest, but you are probably going to be right.that has never happened yet so i doubt it will start now

Perdita
14-05-2009, 06:40
Norway has emerged as the odds-on favourite to win this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

The two-time champion's entry 'Fairytale', sung by Norwegian Idol semi-finalist Alexander Rybak, has been given odds of 6/4 by William Hill to triumph at this Saturday's live final.

Speaking to The Washington Post, the singer-songwriter said: "I try to think about being the favourite as a good thing as it means people like my song. The prize for me is to be in Eurovision, that is the prize in itself."

United Kingdom hopeful Jade Ewen is currently sitting in fifth place with odds of 14/1 against her Andrew Lloyd Webber-penned track 'It's My Time', which had been at 20/1 earlier in the week.

Sitting ahead of the UK in the table are 2005 winners Greece at 6/1, Turkey at 7/1 and Bosnia and Herzogovina, which has been given odds of 9/1 to win.

Despite a promised appearance from Dita Von Teese, Germany's entry is lagging behind with 40/1 odds, while show host Russia is sitting at 80/1. Ireland has been given just a 100/1 chance of winning.

The Eurovision Song Contest airs this Saturday at 8pm on BBC One.

Abbie
15-05-2009, 16:25
I like Greece, theres is like typical but good :D

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2009, 01:54
No Ireland again in this years competition. Jade is 23rd song out of 25 will loose the will to live before she comes on. Hope she does well but I can't see it sorry Jade.

Katy
16-05-2009, 02:44
I listened to the Irish entry and I thought it was good. Really eurovisiony it's weird we not through again.

Abbie
16-05-2009, 11:57
The thing is on the night of the semi finals ireland was in a lot of the east went through, whereas on tuesdays semis quite a bit of the west went through

Chloe O'brien
16-05-2009, 23:34
We were Fifth something wrong there did Lord Webber bribe the Eastern Countries to vote for us. :lol:

StarsOfCCTV
17-05-2009, 00:16
Wahay, fifth! :D

Strange times...:lol:

angel_eyes87
17-05-2009, 00:21
was expecting alot lower postion than that, quite shocked to be honest:eek:

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 00:32
IT's not right is it. I can't take it in Europe has gone mad. No offence Jade but you've let the side down you're at the wrong end of the score table. :D

StarsOfCCTV
17-05-2009, 00:36
:rotfl:

Must be something to do with that jury voting.

CrazyLea
17-05-2009, 00:37
I think I am the only person in the United Kingdom who liked the song!!!!! LMAO!
I love it!!!!!!!

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 00:41
That's just it Lea it was a good song but it's Europe voting for us that we can't believe. Is Lord Webber going to take charge of the UK entry every year. It's mad we can't even moan we were robbed.

StarsOfCCTV
17-05-2009, 00:46
Well we kind of were. By Turkey at the last minute. We were 4th before we got pipped at the post! :lol:

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 00:49
Well I don't know about the rest of you but I feel an attack of vertigo coming on being this high on the scoreboard. Think I need to move to Finland.

Abbie
17-05-2009, 10:12
I loved the song and I think it was great and right that we were that high up!!!! :D

Its great for us :D

I mean Norway were the favs anyway, and lets me honest its not about the winning for us its about how high up we can get :D

Tigerpip
17-05-2009, 10:57
Sorry peeps, I feel this contest has just become a load of political nonesense...
We should just give it up and forget the whole thing in future, and leave it to the European countries that enjoy it.

The UK is as *popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip* these days - no-one really wants to vote for us - so we should quit whilst we are ahead - or not, in the case of last night's fiasco!

The UK song was ok - - but not earth shatteringly memorable now, was it?

I - (IMO) would consider it to have been more suitable in an Andrew Lloyd Webber stage musical, rather than in a bubble-gum pop fest!
(Golly gosh some of those dancers (especially Svetlana from the Ukraine - looked like a lap-dancer in those boots - and those moves..well!) :eek:
Sorry -- just my rant...
leaving now...*T*:lol:

Abbie
17-05-2009, 11:50
But last night proved that there is starting to be a change in the political vote
Last night did become a song contest and many people have said that. Yes there was a little bit of voting for your neighbour but compared to previous years it was a great improvement!! :D

Katy
17-05-2009, 13:22
I enjoyed it all. I wanted ajerbyzhan to win. The uk did really well! I loved graham norton as well.

Abbie
17-05-2009, 14:54
Yeah I liked them as well :D

I really liked Turkey and Iceland

sindydoll
17-05-2009, 15:13
Iceland was my fave but to be honest i was to sloshed to remember them all :lol:

Abbie
17-05-2009, 15:15
:lol:

I do think its amazing how Norways song is a new record and the most popular of all eurovisions so far

StarsOfCCTV
17-05-2009, 23:41
Sorry peeps, I feel this contest has just become a load of political nonesense...
We should just give it up and forget the whole thing in future, and leave it to the European countries that enjoy it.

The UK is as *popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip* these days - no-one really wants to vote for us - so we should quit whilst we are ahead - or not, in the case of last night's fiasco!

We did the best in 7 years! Fifth is great for the UK, especially since the fiasco of nul points a few years back. :lol:

They introduced jury voting this year. Half the votes was from a panel of 9 international judges, half was from phone votes. This actually appeared to prevent the majority of political voting.

Chloe O'brien
17-05-2009, 23:48
The song wasn't the best UK entry we haved but at least we were on the right side of the scoreboard for a change, whether it was down to the new scoring rules or that Europe thought Jade deserved the high scores we may not know but I was convinced we were going to get low marks.

Katy
18-05-2009, 08:50
It agree, it was still quite catchy as i have been humming it since it happened. My mate keeps youtubing it and rewinding the bt where Jade walks into the violin at the beginning. I was convicnced we would get low marks as well.

I didnt think the song was Eurovision though, it was more like an xfactor christmas number one type song.

Abbie
18-05-2009, 19:09
Awww I loved the song

And I was optimistic and thought we would get high marks, I thought we might have ended up top of the second half of the table, but Im glad we did better :D

Chloe O'brien
18-05-2009, 19:52
I can't even remember how it went now, but that's eurovision forget the songs as soon as they finish but well done to Jade.

di marco
18-05-2009, 23:50
my sis said the popularity might have had something to do with andrew lloyd webber. i dont really understand the panel voting though, i mean how was it done?

Perdita
19-05-2009, 08:15
my sis said the popularity might have had something to do with andrew lloyd webber. i dont really understand the panel voting though, i mean how was it done?

The smart money had long been on Norway to snatch victory in Eurovision 2009 - although many had assumed it would be a hard-fought contest with at least five other countries in the frame.

But in the end, 23-year-old violinist Alexander Rybak romped home with his simple, high-energy song Fairytale - taking a record 387 points, way ahead of nearest rival Iceland.

Rybak, with his troupe of acrobatic dancers and quintessentially blonde backing-singers, raced into the post-results press conference, jumped onto the podium and gave another breathless performance of the winning ditty - just in case anyone had missed it the first (or second) time round.

The assembled Eurovision press corps - more participants than critics - yelped with joy and congratulated him personally before lobbing him some exquisitely easy questions.

Rybak, bubbling with fresh-faced innocence, said he knew he'd been the favourite to win in Moscow but was modest about the scale of his victory.

"I still think I am far from being the best singer in the competition tonight," he said.

"But I had a story to tell and I guess people liked that story."

He wrote the song himself and, as he admitted, simplicity is the formula for Eurovision glory.

So now a record deal and a tour await the Norwegian fiddler who was born in Belarus and speaks fluent Russian.

His euphoria was matched by the European Broadcasting Union official hosting the press conference, who proclaimed Moscow 2009 as the best Eurovision Song contest there'd ever been, with the strongest line-up of finalists.

The vast Olympic stadium in central Moscow was certainly packed with an enthusiastic crowd, which was entertained with the usual mix of the bold, the beautiful, the bad and the utterly bizarre.

From the opening moments when Russian heart-throb Dima Bilan, winner of last year's competition, flew above the crowd and smashed through a series of polystyrene walls in front of the stage, the audience knew it would be an extravagant and lavish evening.

And one with its comic moments too.

Dima himself almost came unstuck when his jacket snagged in the wires suspending him from the ceiling, after an over-zealous strip-tease routine.

The other strip-tease of the night also brought a hush to the audience.

The German song "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang" featured American artiste Dita Von Teese flinging an array of her clothing to the floor in an attempt to spice up the tedious music.

But she was more modest than in her performance earlier this week, and stopped short of continuing the strip down to a pair of sparkling nipple warmers.

The performances of the 25 finalists were as diverse as ever with emotional ballads, mock opera, classic pop and a half-hearted attempt at some hybrid-rap.

Even Britain, which is notoriously sceptical about Eurovision (while still watching it in vast numbers on television), put some serious effort into this year's entry with a song written by composer Andrew Lloyd-Webber who also hand-picked the singer Jade Ewen.

The song, It's My Time, succeeded in raising Britain's fortunes from last position in 2008 to a respectable fifth here in Moscow.

Jade believed she stood a chance of winning, but on the night, her song - a rather familiar-sounding Lloyd-Webber ballad - failed to really excite the audience.

Even so, Western European countries will perhaps takes heart that the new voting system is making a difference, decreasing the influence of the traditional block voting of the Eastern half of the continent.

Audiences across Europe now only provide 50% of the votes with the rest coming from juries of musical experts in participating countries.
So now Norway will host the next Eurovision Song Contest in 2010.

They have a tough act to follow. The show here in Moscow was spectacular and expensive, costing more than $30 million (£19.8m).

Let's hope Rybak can bring that exuberant energy all the way back to Oslo.

BBC News

Abbie
19-05-2009, 22:25
I think eurovision was really good this year :D

sindydoll
20-05-2009, 15:38
really! are you buying the cd and dvd

Abbie
20-05-2009, 19:03

yes really but no Im not buying those

although my brother has downloaded Norways song :D so I will get him to send it to me

Debs
20-05-2009, 19:30

yes really but no Im not buying those

although my brother has downloaded Norways song :D so I will get him to send it to me

Ithought jade did really well and coming 5th was great

I loved norways song!!! i cant get it out my head at all!!

Abbie
20-05-2009, 19:31
She did do well

And it was so werid to see Andrew Loyld Webber on stage performing

sindydoll
20-05-2009, 19:56
i did love our song

di marco
21-05-2009, 18:46
my sis said the popularity might have had something to do with andrew lloyd webber. i dont really understand the panel voting though, i mean how was it done?Even so, Western European countries will perhaps takes heart that the new voting system is making a difference, decreasing the influence of the traditional block voting of the Eastern half of the continent.

Audiences across Europe now only provide 50% of the votes with the rest coming from juries of musical experts in participating countries.

yeh i know that 50% was made up of a panel, what i meant was, for the points all you saw was the voting from the countries again as normal, how did the panel voting fit into that? (if that makes sense)

Chloe O'brien
23-05-2009, 00:49
To be honest I have only heard the UK version and the winning song once and that was on eurovision night. I've not bothered listening to any of them since.

di marco
23-05-2009, 14:13
To be honest I have only heard the UK version and the winning song once and that was on eurovision night. I've not bothered listening to any of them since.

i watched the whole lot on the night but havent listened to any since either

Perdita
02-06-2009, 06:52
Jade Ewen's second single has been confirmed as 'Punching Out'.

The 21-year-old star, who came fifth in last month's Eurovision, will release the track ahead of her debut album in September.

The song was written by Ina Wroldsen - who penned Saturdays singles 'Up' and 'Work' - and is produced by Andreas 'Quiz' Romdhane and Josef Larossi.

Speaking about Ewen's Eurovision appearance, record label chief Colin Barlow said: "The whole experience has been kind of surreal, but in terms of looking for a platform to get a new artist to a mass audience, it’s a really good one.

"A lot of people are cynical about Eurovision but for Jade it's put her in the forefront of people's minds. The result wasn't an embarrassment and because we took it seriously other countries did as well," he told Music Week.

Not heard it yet.