PDA

View Full Version : Are you honest when a cashpoint is faulty?

Perdita
20-01-2009, 07:13
Customers at two faulty ATM's were given double their money when a technical glitch hit the machines this week.

According to the Daily Express, more than £50,000 was erroneously delivered to delighted customers at the cashpoints in Manchester and Wales.

Queues quickly formed at the Nationwide ATMs as word spread about the fault until one customer phoned the building society to report the problem.

The bank said the notes were loaded in the wrong way, adding that it was "disappointing" that it took six hours for someone to report the fault.

Would you have reported it immediately or would you have enjoyed a windfall?

moonstorm
20-01-2009, 08:28
I have to be really honest here and say no. I am normally very honest and would return a bag/purse but in this case the banks make so much money from me (overdraft charges!! etc), that I'm afarid I would take the money and run.

Siobhan
20-01-2009, 09:16
it depends.. if I only took out tenner and got twenty then probably not but if I took out over 50 then yes, I would hand it back, after all, they would have my account details and when the find the fault take it back anyway

Katy
20-01-2009, 09:33
I think it depends on the amount, if only ten quid probably not.

This is the second time in a year the one in Stretford has given out double the money.

JustJodi
20-01-2009, 09:39
I probably wouldn't let on if it was a small amount but if it was something huge,, then I would report it because I am sure that my info is logged in on the machine I used ..:o

alan45
20-01-2009, 09:57
Not ever having had the good luck to find a faulty ATM Im sure that if one paid me double I would be quite happy to keep the money. After all its our money as thanks to Comrade Broon we now own the banks:ninja:

Chloe O'brien
20-01-2009, 11:42
I've never been that lucky but if I was and it was only a small amount less than £50 then I would just keep it, but if it was a large amount I'd give it back as the bank will trace it eventually.

Abigail
20-01-2009, 13:05
Being a student I would take the money. Then I'd phone the bank when I got home and report it.

Abbie
20-01-2009, 17:54
Being a lot of money I would be honest, I hust feel terribly bad and couldnt take it

Debs
20-01-2009, 20:31
ive never been lucky enough to find a faulty machine but if i did theres no way id go and tell them if gave metoo much, id go spend it quick :lol:

di marco
20-01-2009, 21:58
ive never been lucky enough to be in that situation, but if i was i wouldnt tell them. i would hand in a purse/money if i found it as someone had lost that but if the bank wanted to give me extra money id take it

StarsOfCCTV
20-01-2009, 22:07
The banks are losing enough as it is. :lol: Never been in that situation but I'd have too much of a conscience I'd probably walk into the bank. Who knows they might let me keep it as a thankyou. :p

Kirsty :]
20-01-2009, 23:18
A few years ago me and a friend were in out local shop and the atm in there had a £10 note was sticking out, so we took it and bought kebabs. I was 13 at the time.

Now that I'm older, I'd hand it in, it's not my money and I've always felt bad about buying a kebab with a tenner that wasn't mine.

So at this age, I'd give it back, ask me a few years ago and I would've taken what i could.
Ask me next year when I'm truly broke and in Uni... I'd probably do the same as wehn I was 13.. take it.

sindydoll
21-01-2009, 11:54
ive never been in that situation but if it did happen i would keep my gob shut and take has much has i could :lol:

Abigail
21-01-2009, 11:56
Who knows they might let me keep it as a thankyou. :p

Dream on Kasple :lol: Like you say, they're losing enough money at the moment.

sindydoll
21-01-2009, 11:58

Dream on Kasple :lol: Like you say, they're losing enough money at the moment.arnt we all

di marco
21-01-2009, 14:29

Dream on Kasple :lol: Like you say, they're losing enough money at the moment.

exactly! theres no way on earth the banks would let you keep it!

Kim
21-01-2009, 19:58
I'd give it back; they're bound to ask for the money back and possibly a bit extra on top from those that have taken it since they are losing money.

Meh
21-01-2009, 20:06
Last year I had an extra £500 given to me by the cashier
I was honest and returned it but was disgusted by the lack of thanks from the bank.

di marco
22-01-2009, 11:25
I'd give it back; they're bound to ask for the money back and possibly a bit extra on top from those that have taken it since they are losing money.

yeh they would probably make you give it back in the end (or debit your account by that much or something) but i wouldnt have thought they could charge extra, cos after all you could easily have taken that amount of money out of your account anyway

Abigail
22-01-2009, 12:11
They wouldn't be able to charge extra.

Siobhan
22-01-2009, 12:32
They wouldn't be able to charge extra.

Can they even take the money off you at all.. I mean if you withdraw 20 quid and you get 40, how can they prove you actually got extra money??? They can't prove it even if they know the machine was given out double at that time.. you might not have gotten it like the others and they can't prove you did

Trinity
22-01-2009, 12:54
The problem was someone filling the machine wrongly, putting £20 notes where the £10s should go or something like that.

I doubt that the machine was totally empty when it was filled - so who knows where the £10s stopped and the £20s began?

Another point - did anyone lose out? Get a £10 when they should have got a £20??

sindydoll
22-01-2009, 13:48
if a bank machine spits out too much money there is no evidence that it spat it at you and that's how people get away with it