PDA

View Full Version : Retailers and Business going into Administration

Perdita
01-12-2008, 09:43
Dragons' Den entrepreneur Theo Paphitis is expected to place a bid to buy out part of struggling retailer Woolworths.

The Dragon is among a number of parties interested in rescuing some of the chain's stores.

A BBC correspondent confirmed that Paphitis had registered his interest in the firm: "Deloitte are up against the clock to secure deals, with many suppliers already refusing to deliver to Woolworths."

Deloitte, the chain's administrator, will resume talks today with a number of parties who have shown "substantial interest" in the firm.

The entrepreneur has previously revived the fortunes of stationers Ryman and Partners and La Senza.

It would be such a shame if Woolworths was to go for good. It has been part of the British shopping centres for such a long time.

Abigail
01-12-2008, 13:30
I remember going to Woolies every week to buy a single (yes, I can remember when singles were hard copies) and get a pic n mix.

Abbie
01-12-2008, 19:01
Awww love woolies :p Its the only decent shop in the town I live in!

StarsOfCCTV
01-12-2008, 20:30
There's never been a Woolworths near me lol

Abigail
01-12-2008, 20:32
You're missing out Kasple.

Abbie
01-12-2008, 21:42
There's never been a Woolworths near me lol

:eek: are you being serious

StarsOfCCTV
01-12-2008, 21:56
Yeah...london is supermarket country :lol:

Abbie
01-12-2008, 21:57
I keep forgetting your in london!
But still a life without woolies! :eek:

.:SpIcYsPy:.
02-12-2008, 20:13
There's a Woolworths everywhere I go! Wow.. :eek:

Kim
02-12-2008, 20:39
I NEED the one in town! Without that I'll end up paying about £7 in bus fares to go and get DVD's and pens etc instead of £1.50 ish. The supermarket and stationery shop are ridiculous and charge like £4 for felt tips and stuff.

Abigail
02-12-2008, 21:13
Buy stationary and entertainment online, its much cheaper and you don't have to leave the house :)

Pinkbanana
02-12-2008, 21:43
Awww love woolies :p Its the only decent shop in the town I live in!

I was in Woolies in Durham on Sat and looked around it and thought nooo wonder they are in trouble...they sell tat and rubbish and the store itself was dirty and in need of a major refurb.

Abbie
02-12-2008, 22:30
Awww but you gotta love the pick n mix from there :p

Abigail
03-12-2008, 00:37
WHSmith beats Woolies any day, and Ryman for that matter. Smith's stores are always clean and well laid out. My local Woolies back home has too many aisles which make it difficult to get around.

pookie1968uk
05-12-2008, 13:16
my 7yr old neice calls the pic n mix at woolies candyking cos thats whats written on the bags! so now we keep saying if woolies goes where will we get our candyking from!!

Kim
10-12-2008, 22:43
The nearest W H Smith is 6 miles away which is actually more expensive to get to by bus than somewhere 9 miles in the other direction :eek: Ryman is like 33 miles away. I love Ryman though, they actually do white A4 card and I got my friend a battery powered pencil sharpener in there for her birthday because our tutor has an electric one which she's fascinated with.

Kirsty :]
10-12-2008, 22:50
I only like Woolworth's polly pockets :( They're thinner but really smooth. Haha I'm a total geek with stuff like this.

StarsOfCCTV
10-12-2008, 23:19
Closing down sale at Woolies tomorrow...

CrazyLea
10-12-2008, 23:28
Never even heard of Ryman :S Miles prefer Woolies over Smiths. Cheaper for people like me who are constantly skint lol. I love Woolies to be honest. Really gonna miss it!

10-12-2008, 23:33
They have all the cool toys :( Like Twister!

Ryman used to be Partners, they;ve been taken over... or so I gather.

StarsOfCCTV
10-12-2008, 23:45
I have a Ryman's and a WHS in the nearest high street to me. :lol: No woolies. Then again it is a Topshop/Monsoon/Clinton cards type of highstreet. :rolleyes: :lol:

Perdita
11-12-2008, 04:02
Looks like it is not happening now, Woollies has gone into receivership because nobody was prepared to take them on. Had a Woolworth here in Germany where I live until last year and I was gutted when it closed as I went there frequently. (Obviously not enough to keep it going :lol: )

Kim
11-12-2008, 18:17
;630825']I only like Woolworth's polly pockets :( They're thinner but really smooth. Haha I'm a total geek with stuff like this.

And me :( Stocking up it is then! And I looovee their coloured pens, I use loads for revision.

Perdita
11-12-2008, 19:35
Well, so far some of them are going to be turned into Iceland shops, around 50 of them. Poundland and Lidl and a couple of other chain stores are in the running as well. More Iceland shops, does that mean more Kerry Katona on telly :mad:

Chris_2k11
11-12-2008, 21:31
I saw the closing down signs today! never went in though as I had to catch the bus

Kim
13-12-2008, 23:25
Well, so far some of them are going to be turned into Iceland shops, around 50 of them. Poundland and Lidl and a couple of other chain stores are in the running as well. More Iceland shops, does that mean more Kerry Katona on telly :mad:

We already have all of them :thumbsdow The Poundland is like 2 stores away from the Woolworths so if they took over that it would just be silly. I bet it turns into a takeaway because it seems to be fast turning into Takeaway Mania in town :lol:

Abbie
14-12-2008, 12:38
I went in there yesterday and it was mad!
But the sale was rubbish

Bryan
14-12-2008, 15:07
it's so sad and weird knowing Woolworths wont be around anymore. It's always been there since I was a baby, and way before that. I can't imagine the high street without Woolworths, very sad indeeed. It's up there with the time when Brookside was axed from Channel 4 haha, so weird and so sad, can't understand why it's happening.

Abigail
14-12-2008, 15:18
Does anyone know if CDs, DVDs, DS games etc are in the sale? I haven't been down to Woolies yet to have a look. Not sure if there will be anything left, it's not a big store.

pookie1968uk
14-12-2008, 16:41
Does anyone know if CDs, DVDs, DS games etc are in the sale? I haven't been down to Woolies yet to have a look. Not sure if there will be anything left, it's not a big store.

my daughter went in yesterday and there was 10% off cds, dvds etc. but basically the sale was pretty rubbish.

Abbie
14-12-2008, 17:02

my daughter went in yesterday and there was 10% off cds, dvds etc. but basically the sale was pretty rubbish.

I know thats what I thought
It must be bad if sales are rubbish

StarsOfCCTV
14-12-2008, 18:21
It was the media's fault for saying the sale was up to 50% off..I feel sorry for the staff, they will probably lose their jobs and they've got people moaning at them about the sale. The administrators probably want to make as much money as possible. I would imagine the staff will need some sort of pay off?

Perdita
14-12-2008, 18:35
They might get redundancy pay but that is usually not a lot. Normally is based on your years of service with the company, one week's pay for every year you worked for them is the average.

Kim
15-12-2008, 21:28
There's 30% off of stationery but I didn't see anything with 50% off when I went in there.

23-12-2008, 17:03
My Woolies closes down on 2nd Jan..
Man, what a sad sight.. I felt soo sad just looking around and seeing a near empty store.
I got a 2009 diary for school, clear plastic folder pockets which say 'Woolworths' on the side (as a memory :)).. And of course Pic'n'Mix! I'm quite sad I probably keep the bag :o
Bye Woolies :(..

Does anyone think they will try and bring it back again in a few years when the economy starts picking up again?.. If that's possible?..

Abbie
23-12-2008, 17:04
Awww I need to go there and get a Pic n Mix!!

Kim
23-12-2008, 22:39
Closes 8th Jan here. Another reason for me to hate that day. That's 3 on my list :(

I tried to get the plastic wallets but they were all gone; they're the only ones I like :(

And I don't think so, Spicy. They were so far in debt that no one would buy Woolies for £1, so I'd think they were already in a lot of trouble before the whole Credit Crunch started, and that was just the final nail in the coffin for them.

Chris_2k11
23-12-2008, 23:24
erm the sale is rather poor, i went in today looking at the cds and theres about a pound or two off most

WOW not

Abigail
23-12-2008, 23:30
erm the sale is rather poor, i went in today looking at the cds and theres about a pound or two off most

WOW not

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I went in. CDs, DVDs and games console games were around the same price they usually are. Everything else in the shop was reduced and a lot of shelves empty except the media section.

Kim
23-12-2008, 23:35
:eek: It was the media section that was almost all out here. When I went past on the school bus the other day they'd put up an 'up to 60% off' sign over where it used to say 'up to 50% off.' There actually being the 50% off to start with might be a better move. :rolleyes:

Bryan
24-12-2008, 19:27
Ernst & Young has confirmed that music and DVD store Zavvi is going into administration.

The closure of the UK's largest independent entertainment retailer may result in 3,400 job losses.

Zavvi suffered over the Christmas period after Woolworths's unit Entertainment UK went into administration last month.

The store used Woolworths as its main supplier and has had trouble finding stock following the high street shop's demise.

"This has resulted in considerable working capital difficulties," said Ernst & Young.

"Since EUK went into administration, and perhaps before, the impact of problems at EUK on the Zavvi group has been significant."

All 125 stores around the UK should be open as usual on Boxing Day for a post-Christmas sale.

Zavvi founders Simon Douglas and Steve Peckham said: "We have done all that is possible to keep the business trading, but the problems encountered with EUK, and particularly its recent failure, have been too much for the business to cope with."

I will be there Saturday morning to raid the shelves! Just gutted I can't make it up town on Boxing Day to bag the bargains!

Chris_2k11
24-12-2008, 20:51
OMG whos gonna be next?? I hope theres some proper reductions on the music unlike woolies!

Debs
24-12-2008, 21:46
might have to have a wander down to ours over weekend then, hopefully might be able to get some dvds for connors bday

StarsOfCCTV
24-12-2008, 21:51
While I was out shopping a few days ago I saw three shops that were closing down.

There's not a Zavvi near me...never been there. :p Feel sorry for all those people who may lose their jobs though.

Kim
25-12-2008, 00:20
There's one about 33 miles away.. lol. I'm not going to risk paying out all the bus fares and missing the second bus because the first one's usually late when the sale might not be that impressive.

Katy
25-12-2008, 13:32
Its unfortunate as if Woolworths werent gonig these would be ok as they rely upon woolies as there main distributer, i think i will be in town shopping post xmas so i might pop in and see whats going.

25-12-2008, 23:04
I only found out a few days ago tha MFI are also going into administration.
As for Zavvi, never heard of it until now!

Siobhan
26-12-2008, 12:14
I only found out a few days ago tha MFI are also going into administration.
As for Zavvi, never heard of it until now!

Never knew what Zavvi was.. it took over the Virgin store in my shopping center so I thought it was the new name for Virgin :rotfl:

Kim
28-12-2008, 02:23
My mum got me some plastic wallets from there today, but they're not the ones with Woolworths down the side :( They're a bit thin really, I don't think they'll last as long as the other type. And 40 seems like a random number to have in a packet lol. She also got me 5 packs of pens; I have 25 black ones now so I won't be in danger of running out of pens in exams :lol:

Emmie
28-12-2008, 02:27
ive never heard of zavvi let alone shopped in there:S

Kim
28-12-2008, 02:32
I've only walked past it a few times; never gone in there. I'm sure I have heard adverts for there on the radio quite a lot though.

Emmie
28-12-2008, 02:56
im my woolworths they are selling the shelves that the goods used to be on ha, i will miss it as its where i bought all my dvds :(

Kim
28-12-2008, 03:17
My mum said they're doing that in ours too.

Abbie
28-12-2008, 12:00
:eek: Selling the shelves, now that really is desperate

Abbie
28-12-2008, 12:16
WOW people never heard of Zavvi!!!
It was like the only CD/DVD shop we went in where I live.

Love the sale :D :p

Bryan
28-12-2008, 12:18
the sale is absoulte tosh! nothing better than a standard sale! considering they've gone into administration it's disgusting that they're still selling most things for top price. i left the shop in disgust, not spending a penny.

Bryan
28-12-2008, 12:19
im my woolworths they are selling the shelves that the goods used to be on ha, i will miss it as its where i bought all my dvds :(

LMAO you've gotta laugh at that! even selling the shelves! :D :lol:

28-12-2008, 12:20
mmm wouldn't you just love a massive cream metal shelf from Woolworths!..Actually, I could do with some shelves in my room

Abbie
28-12-2008, 12:21
mmm wouldn't you just love a massive cream metal shelf from Woolworths!..Actually, I could do with some shelves in my room

:rotfl: you serious?

28-12-2008, 12:22

:rotfl: you serious?

Yeahh, I really do need some shelves in my room. :thumbsup:

No Abbie. HAHA! :lol:

Abbie
28-12-2008, 12:23
:rotfl: Well I dunno

what are they like in woollies anyway? Arent they like huge......and metal? and steel? and grey?

DaVeyWaVey
28-12-2008, 12:34
My local Woolworths closed yesterday :( it was so sad. I will miss getting my Pick a Mix from there..

Emmie
28-12-2008, 13:08
Aww i used to fill my pick n mix bag up eat it on the way round then fill it up at the end and pay for it hehe x

28-12-2008, 14:13
Lol.. don't take me seriously lmao
They're huge, and cream too I think, but I suppose other stores may use them??

Abbie
28-12-2008, 18:09
Lol.. don't take me seriously lmao
They're huge, and cream too I think, but I suppose other stores may use them??

Wonder if other stores would have them :lol:

Emmie
29-12-2008, 02:06
adams the clothes store is ment to be going under to :S x

Kim
29-12-2008, 23:13

I don't think even that is going to make a hole in their 385m debts or however much it is :lol:

Chris_2k11
30-12-2008, 09:40
The 58-store chain will this afternoon appoint accountancy firm PKF to handle the administration after being hit by the consumer downturn.

In a controversial move, Sir Tom's investment vehicle West Coast Capital will immediately buy 43 of the shops out of administration.

The so-called pre-pack administration will save the jobs of up to 1,000 of USC's 1,400 staff but 15 of the stores will close with the loss of about 300 part-time employees.

The pre-pack is likely to provoke anger among USC's suppliers or landlords, some of whom could face unpaid bills following the administration.

USC becomes the latest retailer to succumb to the economic downturn following the collapse of Whittards, the tea and coffee retailer, menwear chain The Officers Club, and Zavvi, the music chain.

Adams, the childrenswear retailer, is set to appoint PricewaterhouseCoopers as administrators this week.

USC, which was launched in 1989 from one store in Edinburgh, stocks brands including Diesel, Henri Lloyd, Ted Baker and Lacoste.

Bryan
30-12-2008, 09:46
another one bites the dust! is anyone safe!?

Katy
30-12-2008, 10:28
This is insane there is going to be no one left, which other shoip went yesterday was it Adams? These stores have been going a long time and all of a sudden over night there bust.

30-12-2008, 10:33
Well I think I'd heard on the news something to do with Zavvi and Woolworths being linked somehow, so I think maybe it's because all these companies are relying on each other that as soon as one goes down, the rest go with them.. like dominoes. I don't know though.. I'm pants at this business stuff

Jojo
30-12-2008, 10:57
Well I think I'd heard on the news something to do with Zavvi and Woolworths being linked somehow, so I think maybe it's because all these companies are relying on each other that as soon as one goes down, the rest go with them.. like dominoes. I don't know though.. I'm pants at this business stuff

Entertainment UK, which was part of Woolworths Distribution network, was also Zavvi's supplier, so it kind of caused a "few" problems when Woolworths went into administration.

There are going to be a few more yet this year too, and for me, B&Q and PC World/Currys etc, ought to watch, as I think there is talk about PC World and Curry's already and they are all part of the same group

Jojo
30-12-2008, 11:19
As there has been an announcement now of Olan Mills going into administration, I thought I'd merge all threads discussing the situation into one. So if you hear/read of any more - post them here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Olan-Mills-Photography-Business-In-Trouble-Shuts-34-UK-Sites/Article/200812415195472?f=vg

Olan Mills have shut all outlets on 26th December and is now in the hands of Administrators.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katy
30-12-2008, 11:49
is Olan Mills the photographers? or am i getting really confused. I think 2009 is not going to be a good year for retail.

30-12-2008, 11:51
Yeahh it is.

Aww I always used to go there when my brother was born for pictures.
There's going to be nothing left! :(

Jojo
30-12-2008, 11:54
Yes, thats them. They were based in a lot of Mothercare stores, but also had a couple of outlets separate too.

TBH though, they never seemed busy to me and their prices were extortionate! I received a free sitting and 10 x 8 pic not long back and had I been paying for it, it would have cost in the region of £50! And it didn't come out that well either.

It is very sad though, we haven't even entered 2009 and the number of businesses that have gone into administration is very sad. And we only get to hear about the larger business - there are many many small businesses that have had the same happen to them sadly.

I just hope my husband and I can ride through this, but even our business line has been affected (although where larger companies are losing money, we are still making a v good profit atm)

Katy
30-12-2008, 11:58
I thought so thanks. We went for my nanna and grandads birthday presesnt a couple of years ago.

That is whats shocking isnt it, its the fact that we only hear about the big stores which is the ones well that i think as being invincable, you would never dream of something as massive as woolies getting into trouble. In Bangor the high street is slowly diminishing, there are so many empty shops, like small bookshops have gone and of course woolies, adams, and other smaller ones. I havent noticed as much in manchester but thats probably as it is so much better,.

I hope that you can rise through this too and hope that its not too long before it starts to et better although i think 09 is a right off from what people are saying.

Bryan
30-12-2008, 12:01
great start to the new year with all these shops going bust and people loosing their jobs? i just hope we can all get through this, and hopefully rebuild our damaged economy after this recession, but I have a feeling that things are set to get a lot worse before they get better!

Katy
30-12-2008, 12:08
i think your right about getting a lot worse before better but there have been recessions before, i think this is just the first one i have seen and we have got through them.

My uncle yesterday was saying despite this thiough this is the first one he has felt really but that coupld be because he is a builder and the property market and housing of course is the other major area along with retail that is really affected this time round so i suppose it is probably that,

Abigail
30-12-2008, 19:54

The sign in my Woolies said everything in the shop including fixtures, fittings and tills, is for sale.

Abbie
30-12-2008, 19:58

The sign in my Woolies said everything in the shop including fixtures, fittings and tills, is for sale.

:eek: the tills!

30-12-2008, 20:23
Ooohhhh! I wouldn't mind a till!!

Abbie
30-12-2008, 20:23
Ooohhhh! I wouldn't mind a till!!

:rotfl: I bet youve already got one

30-12-2008, 20:27
No Abbie! I have a shelf, and his name is shelfy! A till would complete my collection :p

Abbie
30-12-2008, 20:28
:lol: Your mad :p

Chris_2k11
30-12-2008, 20:39
the tills haha. whats next the bricks and cement

Abbie
30-12-2008, 21:45

probably :lol:
their debt is bad!

Katy
31-12-2008, 20:05
Morgan announced today that it has gone into administration, thats another big company, it seems insane that its happening so quickly.

01-01-2009, 01:14
Whos mORGAN? :s

Chloe O'brien
01-01-2009, 01:19
I was in town on Tuesday and the USC shop was already closed.

01-01-2009, 01:32
Whos mORGAN? :s
MORGAN - It's a women's clothing company. :)

Katy
01-01-2009, 10:01
yeah Morgan De Toi, i always had one of there bags when i was younger. The clothing was far too expensive, its usually found in department stores.

01-01-2009, 10:38
Ahh I know :). Apologies, I was under the influence. Whoops lol

Abbie
01-01-2009, 12:49
Awww I liked them, well I sorta liked it, I never really bought anything from there :lol:

Kim
04-01-2009, 00:00

The sign? Someone might want it as a collectable if they collect Woolworths things :lol:

Perdita
14-01-2009, 12:58
Zavvi has announced that it is closing a further 18 of its stores, with the loss of 353 jobs.

The troubled high street retailer previously shut 22 stores after being placed into administration on Christmas Eve.

The group's administrators Ernst & Young are aiming to 'streamline' the brand with the hope of selling the business.

"Despite having received in excess of 70 expressions of interest, we have not received any offers for the store portfolio as a whole," Ernst & Young's Tom Jack said.

"Consequently, with reducing stock levels, we have had to manage the cost base of the business and close a further 18 stores."

Zavvi's flagship store in Piccadilly, London is one of the first shops to close, with the loss of 110 staff.

The chain suffered in the wake of the collapse of Woolworths, whose Entertainment UK (EUK) division was its main supplier.

All these shops must have been scraping by for years or not all of them would have gone bust in such a short time, all at the same time.

pookie1968uk
25-01-2009, 14:54
land of leather is in administration, and also empire direct are in administration too and customer wont get their goods.
the argos and homebase company are considering redundancies.
DSG who own pc world, dixons and currys are reporting big losses.

there will be no one left before long!!!!!!!!!!!

Abbie
25-01-2009, 15:40
:eek: Argos!

And pc world, dixons and currys, thats like all the electrical goods stores

Perdita
25-01-2009, 16:34

That is probably because nobody in Walford ever buys a washing machine :lol:

di marco
25-01-2009, 16:43

lol! i heard someone say about a month ago that they thought places like currys would probably do quite badly

for some reason, and im not sure why, argos quite surprised me!

Pinkbanana
25-01-2009, 16:45

lol! i heard someone say about a month ago that they thought places like currys would probably do quite badly

I think some of these big stores...Currys, Dixons, PC World will weather the storm without going bust, but will probably end up pruning the staff/stores

di marco
25-01-2009, 16:48

I think some of these big stores...Currys, Dixons, PC World will weather the storm without going bust, but will probably end up pruning the staff/stores

yeh i think theyll try and stick it out, but i dont think they will be doing anywhere near as well as they used to

Perdita
25-01-2009, 16:50
How big is the competition from Tesco and Asda? They sell electrical goods as well, are they competitive in price? I don't currently live in the UK so haved no idea about prices.

di marco
25-01-2009, 16:54
How big is the competition from Tesco and Asda? They sell electrical goods as well, are they competitive in price? I don't currently live in the UK so haved no idea about prices.

i have no idea either lol! although i think the really big sainsburys near us sells electrical stuff quite cheaply

Abigail
25-01-2009, 17:16
Large supermarkets can afford to undercut competitors. TBH, I buy my electricals from Tesco, Sainsburys or online, unless I can only get them somewhere else cheaper.

First Woolies, now Argos? Soon there won't be many famous British high street stores left.

Abbie
25-01-2009, 17:16
But then where are we gonna buy cameras and stuff from, I mean ASDA is suppose to be cheap, but dont ever try buying a camera from there! they re shockingly expensive

di marco
25-01-2009, 17:18
But then where are we gonna buy cameras and stuff from, I mean ASDA is suppose to be cheap, but dont ever try buying a camera from there! they re shockingly expensive

i know, i tried to get a camera from marks and spencer but they didnt have any left in the colour that i wanted and saw them in asda so thought it would be cheaper but it was £20 more expensive!

di marco
25-01-2009, 17:19
Large supermarkets can afford to undercut competitors. TBH, I buy my electricals from Tesco, Sainsburys or online, unless I can only get them somewhere else cheaper.

First Woolies, now Argos? Soon there won't be many famous British high street stores left.

same, i buy my electrical stuff from wherever is cheaper, no point buying something for more when its the same product. and i dont think argos will close just yet

pookie1968uk
26-01-2009, 22:57
High Street shoe shop chains Barratts and PriceLess have gone into administration, it has been announced.

just got this off bbc news online

di marco
27-01-2009, 08:51
High Street shoe shop chains Barratts and PriceLess have gone into administration, it has been announced.

just got this off bbc news online

im not surprised about barratts, the one near us has been doing badly for ages

Abbie
27-01-2009, 17:34
To be fair, I havent been in there since primary school

StarsOfCCTV
02-02-2009, 08:48
Woolworths has been bought by Shop Direct and will be relaunched as an online retailer, selling the same stuff it did before. Bit of good news I guess, although people who worked in the stores won't get their jobs back obviously. :S

Abbie
02-02-2009, 18:04
Huh that makes no sense to me

Abigail
02-02-2009, 18:46
Basically Woolies is going to be an online retailer only like Amazon.

Abbie
02-02-2009, 18:51
Oh right
Still not the same, I wouldnt like to get a pic 'n' mix from the internet

Chris_2k11
02-02-2009, 19:11
Oh right
Still not the same, I wouldnt like to get a pic 'n' mix from the internetLMAO :D that proper made me laugh abbie

Abbie
02-02-2009, 19:23
:lol: well I think of woolies = pick 'n' mix and those yummy MR Blobby sweets that I havent had in years! :(

Debs
02-02-2009, 20:30
Oh right

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wont be the same online, its not woolies if it isnt a actual shop

02-02-2009, 22:09
As long as I can get my polly pockets I'm sorted :)

Abbie
02-02-2009, 22:10
I seem to be making everyone laugh today :hmm:
:lol: :p

Siobhan
03-02-2009, 10:17
Oh right

That is brilliant Abbie.. click on the scoop to get your jelly babies :lol::lol::lol:

Abigail
03-02-2009, 11:52
Have you ever walked round Woolies with your Pic n Mix bag secretly eating the sweets, then running to top them up before you get to the till? :lol: Won't be able to do that anymore.

Abbie
03-02-2009, 17:02
Oh right

That is brilliant Abbie.. click on the scoop to get your jelly babies :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

You wouldbt be able to pick the colours you wanted anymore :(

Siobhan
04-02-2009, 11:24
seem like there is going to be a lot more shops

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Icelandic-Retail-Group-Baugur-Owner-Of-Karen-Millen-House-Of-Fraser-On-Brink-Of-Administration/Article/200902115216486?lpos=Business_Top_Stories_Header_0&lid=ARTICLE_15216486_Icelandic_Retail_Group_Baugur _Owner_Of_Karen_Millen_House_Of_Fraser_On_Brink_Of _Administration

di marco
04-02-2009, 18:58
i agree with everyone about woolworths, its not going to be the same online

di marco
04-02-2009, 19:01
seem like there is going to be a lot more shops

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Icelandic-Retail-Group-Baugur-Owner-Of-Karen-Millen-House-Of-Fraser-On-Brink-Of-Administration/Article/200902115216486?lpos=Business_Top_Stories_Header_0&lid=ARTICLE_15216486_Icelandic_Retail_Group_Baugur _Owner_Of_Karen_Millen_House_Of_Fraser_On_Brink_Of _Administration

:eek: oh no i love hamleys! :( (yes i do know its a kids shop! :rolleyes: )

Kim
06-02-2009, 10:30
Oh right

:lol:

You wouldbt be able to pick the colours you wanted anymore :(

I don't like green! If they did it from the internet, knowing my luck I'd end up with like 22 green, 2 orange and a red haha!

Kim
06-02-2009, 10:35
;641726']As long as I can get my polly pockets I'm sorted :)

I want some pens! They sold the best pens I have and I only have 2 half used ones left of that type.

You can't get Shelfy a brother or sister from the internet Kirsty :lol:

Iceland :( I love their pizzas and deserts.

Perdita
08-02-2009, 18:32
Antony Worrall Thompson's restaurant chain has reportedly become the latest victim of the credit crunch.

According to The Mirror, the TV chef has had to let 60 staff go and held crisis talks on Friday as five of his restaurants went into administration.

The Lamb in Henley-on-Thames, the Barnes Grill, Notting Grill, Kew Grill and Windsor Grill have apparently gone under, following the closure of The Greyhound in Henley-on-Thames two weeks ago.

The Kew and Windsor restaurants remain open for business, along with his Ferry Lane Farm and Deli near the Windsor Grill.

Worrall Thompson said: "The administrator was stuck in snow on Friday so I broke the news to all the staff myself today. This was probably better because I could be softer with everyone and do my best to reassure them.

"I am absolutely gutted about this whole situation. These guys are like my family and I have promised to do everything that I can to get them back on their feet."

Worrall Thompson said that he will make sure his staff get paid "one way or another", adding that he will reach into his own pocket if necessary.

I suppose going out for a meal is something a lot of people can no longer afford :(

21-02-2009, 22:27
The "last" bag of Woolworths pic'n'mix has been sold for more than £14,500 on eBay.

The souvenir from the collapsed retail chain had received 115 bids ahead of Saturday's sale deadline.

The 800g pic'n'mix bag contains fizzy cola bottles, rhubarb & custards, strawberry bon bons, Turkish delight, white mice, pineapple cubes, and many other favourite sweets.

Ed Adams, a Woolies store manager, snapped up the collector's item just before his shop closed for the last time. He auctioned the sweets to raise funds for Retail Trust, a charity for retail industry workers.

Mr Adams, who managed the Petts Wood branch in Kent, said: "I am really proud and excited to see such an enormous sum has been raised for the last bag of pic'n'mix.

"Retail Trust is a fantastic organisation that has helped so many people like me. Being made redundant in the current climate was hard to take and knowing that there is help out there gives you comfort in these pressing times."

An eBay spokesman said they were working with the charity to "finalise payment" from the winning bidder. The final sum was £14,500.10

Nigel Rothband, Retail Trust chief executive, said: "It's taken us by surprise. It's very exciting and much more than we were expecting."

The bag has been officially certified by Woolworths' administrators, Deloitte, as the last one.

A spokesman said: "The administrators of Woolworths PLC have consented to the sale of this item for the benefit of Retail Trust. They are pleased to be supporting this worthwhile cause and hope the proceeds will make a difference to those workers helped by the charity."

Abbie.. was it you!? :lol::lol:

Abigail
21-02-2009, 23:06
That's... random. I hope the bag doesn't get wet in the post or the dog gets to it before the buyer does.

Seriously, who in their right mind would pay £14k for a bag of sweets, even if it is the last bag in the whole wide world?

21-02-2009, 23:11
I know, I wouldn't... jsut go to Asda- 3 for a £1! :) Though I'm not fussed on sweets too much. I'd much rather waste £4 on a tub of my main men Ben and Jerry :) mmmm.

21-02-2009, 23:24
I still got my Woolworths pic n mix bag? :lol:

di marco
22-02-2009, 20:06
lol i cant believe someone paid that much! i wonder whether theyre going to eat them or keep them lol?!

Chris_2k11
22-02-2009, 20:24
Zavvi has now gone :(

Abigail
22-02-2009, 20:30
Zavvi went a while ago, if I remember rightly.

Chris_2k11
22-02-2009, 20:32
Zavvi went a while ago, if I remember rightly.No I mean its actually shut now, mine closed last week

Abigail
22-02-2009, 20:32
Ah righty. They took their time closing.

di marco
22-02-2009, 21:04
have they all shut? cos i know some of them were shutting but some of the bigger stores were staying open

Tannie
22-02-2009, 21:48
Most of our Zavvi shop's up here have closed like Stirling(I think) and the two that were in Edinburgh, Princes Street and The Gyle.

Chloe O'brien
22-02-2009, 23:20
Most of our Zavvi shop's up here have closed like Stirling(I think) and the two that were in Edinburgh, Princes Street and The Gyle.

Yeah the one in the Gyle is away. I was down there on Thursday at the funfair and Zavvi was all closed up.

Abbie
23-02-2009, 17:57
;646488']The "last" bag of Woolworths pic'n'mix has been sold for more than £14,500 on eBay.

The souvenir from the collapsed retail chain had received 115 bids ahead of Saturday's sale deadline.

The 800g pic'n'mix bag contains fizzy cola bottles, rhubarb & custards, strawberry bon bons, Turkish delight, white mice, pineapple cubes, and many other favourite sweets.

Ed Adams, a Woolies store manager, snapped up the collector's item just before his shop closed for the last time. He auctioned the sweets to raise funds for Retail Trust, a charity for retail industry workers.

Mr Adams, who managed the Petts Wood branch in Kent, said: "I am really proud and excited to see such an enormous sum has been raised for the last bag of pic'n'mix.

"Retail Trust is a fantastic organisation that has helped so many people like me. Being made redundant in the current climate was hard to take and knowing that there is help out there gives you comfort in these pressing times."

An eBay spokesman said they were working with the charity to "finalise payment" from the winning bidder. The final sum was £14,500.10

Nigel Rothband, Retail Trust chief executive, said: "It's taken us by surprise. It's very exciting and much more than we were expecting."

The bag has been officially certified by Woolworths' administrators, Deloitte, as the last one.

A spokesman said: "The administrators of Woolworths PLC have consented to the sale of this item for the benefit of Retail Trust. They are pleased to be supporting this worthwhile cause and hope the proceeds will make a difference to those workers helped by the charity."

Abbie.. was it you!? :lol::lol:

OMG!!! Ive only just read this, it wasnt me :( wish it was:rotfl:

23-02-2009, 22:22
Haha! I wondered how long it would take you.
I saw the title of the article and all I could think about was oyu and your online Pic n Mix Haha :lol:

Abbie
23-02-2009, 22:23
;646849']Haha! I wondered how long it would take you.
I saw the title of the article and all I could think about was oyu and your online Pic n Mix Haha :lol:

:rotfl: lol well thanks

Although I was thinking it could have been you, since you did buy Woolies shelf :p

23-02-2009, 22:26
HAHA! Ahhh good old shelfy :p... still sat on my "floor"

Abigail
23-02-2009, 22:26
Did you really, seriously buy a shelf from Woolies?

Abbie
23-02-2009, 22:27
:rotfl: :rotfl:

you can builf your own woolies now :p

23-02-2009, 22:31
Yeah Abigail :rotfl:
Haha oh yes I can Abbie... and then that massive plan that I said ages ago will happen, I've forgotton what that plan was!

Haha confession, me and Abbie were winding everyone up :lol:....Shelfy doesn't exist :( I did want to buy one... but never did, then ABbie told people I actually did... sort of went from there ahah

Abbie
23-02-2009, 22:33
;646858']

Haha confession, me and Abbie were winding everyone up :lol:....Shelfy doesn't exist :( I did want to buy one... but never did, then ABbie told people I actually did... sort of went from there ahah

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :eek: why did you confess Kirsty I was having so much fun :(

:p :rotfl:

23-02-2009, 22:38
;646858']

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :eek: why did you confess Kirsty I was having so much fun :(

:p :rotfl:

Pishhh you were having fun at my expense weren't you Abbie! Eh!? Eh!? :moonie:

Haha everyone thoguht I was the weird one... not you! Lmaooo

Abbie
23-02-2009, 22:40
No I wasnt, I was enjoying it, it was funny :D

Perdita
04-03-2009, 13:22
Virgin Megastores has announced that it is closing all its remaining US stores with the loss of over 1,000 jobs.

Flagship stores in Times Square and Union Square in New York will be shut by June, as well as further locations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Orlando and Denver.

Despite the branches still making a profit, real estate firms who own the properties expect to receive better profits from new tenants, according to Variety.

The first Virgin Megastore opened in the US opened in Hollywood in 1992 and closed last year. Zavvi, which bought up the chain in the UK, went into administration last December.

di marco
08-03-2009, 21:33
not all the zavvi shops over here have shut, the one at bluewater is still open

Abbie
04-05-2009, 17:26
So im sitting here eating some Haribo Tangfastics thinking.....I miss the Pick n Mix from woolies! :(

Debs
04-05-2009, 18:19
i really miss our woolies. its only now i realise how much we bought in there! like when connor gets invited to a party, we always bought pressies in there but now theres not really anywhere!

di marco
05-05-2009, 16:56
i was in town the other day and wanted a drink, i would normally have gone into woolworths but i had to walk all the way to the main shopping centre to get one from whsmiths! when woolworths closed i didnt think i would be that bothered but its the small things you dont even realise!

Chloe O'brien
05-05-2009, 22:55
I think Bay Trading may be next. I was down at a shopping centre near where I live on Sunday and in the Bay Trading window it had a sign up saying that they were in the hands of administrators so no refunds or credit notes could be given after the 27 April.

di marco
05-05-2009, 23:12
I think Bay Trading may be next. I was down at a shopping centre near where I live on Sunday and in the Bay Trading window it had a sign up saying that they were in the hands of administrators so no refunds or credit notes could be given after the 27 April.

i used to like bay but their stuff seems to be a bit rubbish lately. it seems weird, theyve only just opened a new one where im at uni

Abbie
06-05-2009, 16:00

oooo do you think they will have a sale on
theres a dress thats like £30 that I want to get from there

di marco
06-05-2009, 19:41

oooo do you think they will have a sale on
theres a dress thats like £30 that I want to get from there

they always seem to have sales on in the ones near me. id think they would have a sale if its gonna close

Abbie
08-05-2009, 18:58
Hmm I'll have to check mine out

Abigail
13-05-2009, 22:57
It's been rather quiet on this front lately, which is great :ninja:

Perdita
14-05-2009, 06:03
That does not mean that there are not any more businesses going into receivership though, they are just not large enough to attract national press coverage :(

Abigail
16-05-2009, 23:32
Designer fashion store Cruise has closed three stores and is reviewing a number of others after being forced to call in administrators.

The Glasgow-based chain hit problems after funding for a planned expansion, from an Icelandic firm, was withdrawn.

The business is being bought from administration by management and will continue under the same name.

It operates in Scotland, the Midlands and Northern Ireland. Shops in Chester, Leicester and Birmingham have shut.

Administrators Deloitte said: "The company found itself in financial difficulty following its expansion in the latter months of last year.

"The expansion was to be funded by Icelandic company, Kcaj, which, as a result of the economic downturn was unable to inject the agreed funding, placing a significant strain on the business.

"The management undertook a protracted and extensive search to find a buyer but none were identified and the decision was taken to restructure the company via an administration."

The stores in Chester, Leicester and Birmingham have already been closed and the management of the new company is reviewing which of the rest of the stores it can continue to operate.

About 30 jobs have been lost in the store closures but it is not known how many others posts may be under threat.

Abigail
09-06-2009, 12:37
Setanta faces administration "within days" unless backers provide more funds to pay £30m it owes to the English Premier League, reports have suggested.
The broadcaster has already failed to pay the Scottish Premier League £3m it owes in television rights money.

Setanta, which also shows cricket, golf and rugby union, has about 1.2 million subscribers but is losing up to £100m a year, analysts say.

Deloitte is set to step in to run the firm if it goes into administration.

The rights to show the English Premier League - and the subscribers that this pulls in - lie at the heart of Setanta's business model.

But the firm had only about 60% of the subscribers it needed to break even, said Professor Chris Brady of the BPP Business School.

"They have predicated the whole thing on getting those subscribers. The problem is they are taking on Goliath in BSkyB," he told the BBC.

Not only did Setanta have only a small percentage of televised Premier League games but they tended to be "weaker" matches, he added.

There had also been problems with customer service, Professor Brady told the BBC.

Setanta's viability was cast into doubt earlier this year when it lost the rights to show 46 live Premier League matches from 2010/2011.

In future, it will show only 23 games per season, compared with BSkyB's 115, with industry observers saying that thousands of customers would give up their subscriptions.

It is expected that a rival broadcaster - perhaps ESPN - would buy up its Premier League football rights.

But the worsening economy has led observers to suggest that the rights to 46 games that Setanta holds for next season, the final year of its current contract, would not be worth as much as they had been.

There are also doubts about whether the Premier League could match the £159m Setanta paid for the right to screen 23 Premier League games each season from 2010-11.

A shared deal with ITV saw them secure rights for England and FA Cup matches for £425m - and it is likely another firm would buy up these rights.
One SPL club has told BBC Scotland that income from Setanta alone accounts for 33% of their income, while another said it was 20% for his club.

"With cuts already being made for next season, the loss of revenue of 20% would undoubtedly have a knock-on effect on and off the pitch," said one a source.

It is feared that the loss of cash from Setanta could force as many as three SPL clubs into administration.

Katy
09-06-2009, 17:24
Thats bad news for setanta, i have been trying to persude my dad to buy it as it shows the gaelic games, its bad news if it does go bust.

Siobhan
10-06-2009, 09:17
Thats bad news for setanta, i have been trying to persude my dad to buy it as it shows the gaelic games, its bad news if it does go bust.

Katy, can you get any Irish channel at all? if yes, Gaelic games are on RTE 1 and 2...

di marco
10-06-2009, 10:56
the bay that only opened a few months ok has been all boarded up now. dunno if the other ones still open though

Siobhan
10-06-2009, 11:02
all our big stores (Dunnes, Superquinn and Tesco) are refusing to stock Lyons teabags as Unilever has increase the price of them for consumers.. Unilever had better do a U-turn fast or it will lose out big time

Perdita
10-06-2009, 14:19
Setanta faces administration "within days" unless backers provide more funds to pay £30m it owes to the English Premier League, reports have suggested.
The broadcaster has already failed to pay the Scottish Premier League £3m it owes in television rights money.

Setanta, which also shows cricket, golf and rugby union, has about 1.2 million subscribers but is losing up to £100m a year, analysts say.

The rights to show the English Premier League - and the subscribers that this pulls in - lie at the heart of Setanta's business model.

But the firm had only about 60% of the subscribers it needed to break even, said Professor Chris Brady of the BPP Business School.

"They have predicated the whole thing on getting those subscribers. The problem is they are taking on Goliath in BSkyB," he told the BBC.

Not only did Setanta have only a small percentage of televised Premier League games but they tended to be "weaker" matches, he added.

There had also been problems with customer service, Professor Brady told the BBC.

Setanta's viability was cast into doubt earlier this year when it lost the rights to show 46 live Premier League matches from 2010/2011.

In future, it will show only 23 games per season, compared with BSkyB's 115, with industry observers saying that thousands of customers would give up their subscriptions.

It is expected that a rival broadcaster - perhaps ESPN - would buy up its Premier League football rights.

But the worsening economy has led observers to suggest that the rights to 46 games that Setanta holds for next season, the final year of its current contract, would not be worth as much as they had been.

There are also doubts about whether the Premier League could match the £159m Setanta paid for the right to screen 23 Premier League games each season from 2010-11.

A shared deal with ITV saw them secure rights for England and FA Cup matches for £425m - and it is likely another firm would buy up these rights.
One SPL club has told BBC Scotland that income from Setanta alone accounts for 33% of their income, while another said it was 20% for his club.

"With cuts already being made for next season, the loss of revenue of 20% would undoubtedly have a knock-on effect on and off the pitch," said one a source.

It is feared that the loss of cash from Setanta could force as many as three SPL clubs into administration.

BSkyB refused a £50m lifeline to Irish pay-TV broadcaster Setanta - which is facing administration - it has emerged.

Setanta had offered access to its live rights for 46 English Premier League games next season as an add-on option to Sky Sports, in return for the cash.

On Tuesday night, Setanta held an emergency board meeting to discuss efforts to stave off administration.

There are conflicting reports from sources close to the company over the firm's future should it collapse.

Missed out

Setanta's founders Leonard Ryan and Michael O'Rourke are in talks with backers to secure financing to keep the firm going, according to some reports.

Meanwhile US sports broadcaster ESPN is also said to be interested in either buying the Irish firm for a nominal sum or simply bidding for its rights to the Premier League.

ESPN, which has been expanding in Europe, has remained quiet over its investment strategy.

But it missed out on acquiring the rights to English football's top league when they were auctioned earlier this year.

Setanta appears to have closed its online and telephone subscription sales services.

And BT Vision said that while Setanta was still available in its packages and as a stand-alone channel, it was no longer advertising the service.

Wholesale changes

BSkyB's chief executive, Jeremy Darroch, said that his firm had been "talking to Setanta, and trying to work with them and help them", but that it could not agree to the Irish company's proposal.

SETANTA'S SPORTS

Premier League
Scottish Premier League
Blue Square Premier
IPL cricket
US PGA Tour golf
Boxing

Q&A: Setanta and you
Why Setanta Sports is in trouble
Your comments
"At the end of the day, we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster, not a supplier of working capital to a business and rights holder," he said.

"Our job is not to fund other companies. This is a huge amount of money."

Under the current UK broadcast deal, which lasts for one more season, BSkyB holds four packages of rights to show live Premier League matches next season - a total of 92 games.

Setanta has the other two packages, which cover 46 games.

Under European Union competition rules, BSkyB could not hold all of the rights packages.

However, Setanta could act as a wholesaler - retaining the rights, but then selling on the football coverage, which rivals would show through their channels.

Some analysts say that this business model is the only way that Setanta can survive, rather than selling its coverage directly to customers.

It already does this for Virgin Media, which makes Setanta channels available as part of its more expensive packages.

Setanta would probably receive less revenue this way than by selling directly but it would potentially be able to reach a wider market, thanks to the marketing power of the likes of BSkyB.

This business model would also allow Setanta save money, as it would not need marketing or customer services teams.

Subscriber shortfall

Setanta, which shows cricket, golf and rugby union as well as football, has about 1.2 million subscribers, but this is only about 60% of the number it needs, according to analysts.

Consequently, the company is losing up to £100m a year.

But Setanta has played down reports that it is set to call in the administrators.

The company needs to pay £30m that is due to the English Premier League and has already failed to pay the Scottish Premier League £3m it owes in television rights money.

Analysts widely expect that anybody picking up Setanta's sporting television rights would pay less than the current rates .

And Labour peer Lord Foulkes, the former chairman of Edinburgh side Hearts told the BBC that some Scottish top-flight football clubs could be forced out of business if they faced a loss in television revenue.

"They are already struggling financially and this on top of it could be the tipping point.

"In some clubs it represents up to 20% of their income and the loss of it would be really catastrophic."

Katy
10-06-2009, 14:35

Katy, can you get any Irish channel at all? if yes, Gaelic games are on RTE 1 and 2...

Not at the moment, they are still trying to get the RTE international channel running, but that wont be for a few years however there is still a problem with sport as the rights which have to be bought and as setanta have found are very expensive. You can get the northern irish games though BBC Northern Ireland.

we were round my uncles the other day and we were saying that about Dunnes and Tesco, not selling the irish products due to being too expensive. Like you say Siobhan, if this continues its going to be awful in the long run they will lose out bigtime. It seems from the press Ireland have been hit worse than the UK which is hard to believe as overhere we are not in the best state!

We are just in such a downward spiral, with the unemployment rates being so high, people arent getting the money to spend in the shops, so they are going bust, they arent moving house as they cannot afford it so there is no need for the industries such as decoraters or builders and without them there is no need for the companies who manufacturer the parts. THere has been a massive shut of a factory near me which used to make hinges and other building things. Its shut as theres no need for them anymore and therefore theres more unemployment and there we go again, back on the downward spiral.

I think it is going to take a while to start moving the other way.

Siobhan
23-06-2009, 17:05
setanta is gone: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Irish-Sports-Broadcaster-Setanta-Goes-Into-Administration/Article/200906415315580?lpos=Business_Top_Stories_Header_1&lid=ARTICLE_15315580_Irish_Sports_Broadcaster_Seta nta_Goes_Into_Administration

Luna
23-06-2009, 18:17
my ears hurt already....customers seem to think its our fault they have gone under :lol:

Perdita
25-06-2009, 07:09
I heard on the radio that Woolworth are launching an online service.
Woolworths will be back online soon following a deal with Shop Direct, the owner of Littlewoods. Shop Direct is understood to have paid administrators Deloitte between £5 to £10 million for the Woolworths brand name. Watch this space for the return of WoolworthsOnline at www.woolworth.co.uk. You can even order Pick and Mix :cheer:

Trinity
25-06-2009, 14:46
I heard about Woollies on line on the news this morning - I have got to ask, who would pay p&p for pick and mix? It would have to double the price (it would certainly double the cost).

I can imagine that some sort of Kate from the Apprentice (who thinks that £13 for a box of chocs is acceptable ) has come up with this idea.

Debs
25-06-2009, 16:29
I heard about Woollies on line on the news this morning - I have got to ask, who would pay p&p for pick and mix? It would have to double the price (it would certainly double the cost).

I can imagine that some sort of Kate from the Apprentice (who thinks that £13 for a box of chocs is acceptable ) has come up with this idea.

have looked at the new wooloworths online and while it niceto see it back, its not the same!!! i dont want woolies back online i want it back in my street of shops so i can wander round!!!!! Back so i cna nip and get a pick and mix when i fancy not just wait for days for it to be delivered!

Siobhan
25-06-2009, 16:48
have looked at the new wooloworths online and while it niceto see it back, its not the same!!! !

Yeah.. you can't tried the pick 'n' mix on line :lol:

Debs
25-06-2009, 18:12
have looked at the new wooloworths online and while it niceto see it back, its not the same!!! !

Yeah.. you can't tried the pick 'n' mix on line :lol:

Dear New Sirs of The new Woolies ( online! )

Please could you send me some samples of your pick and mix. I would like to make sure the pick and mix is exactly like the original woolie pick and mix and also at my local woolies shop i always tried before i buyed! *winks smilie*

Thanks debs

p.s i dont like your new logo! have you something against the letter ' o ' ?????

:D

Bryan
25-06-2009, 19:47
i can't believe you can buy pix and mix online!

it's an inpulse thing, you buy it when you want it, you dont buy it days in advance.

and surely the sweets will have gone off by the time they get to you!? crazyness!!!

di marco
26-06-2009, 09:21
i heard about woolworths going online and agree that buying pick n mix online is weird!

Chloe O'brien
27-06-2009, 23:16
I went down to the shopping centre near where I live today and Bay Trading and Birthday shops have closed down.

di marco
28-06-2009, 07:24
I went down to the shopping centre near where I live today and Bay Trading and Birthday shops have closed down.

i didnt realise birthdays was closing down. all the bays near me have closed

Perdita
28-06-2009, 07:48
I suppose with eCards so readily available, stationery shops are not selling cards the way they used to. :(

di marco
28-06-2009, 11:58
I suppose with eCards so readily available, stationery shops are not selling cards the way they used to. :(

do many people send ecards instead of normal cards though? i dont know anyone that does. i would have thought normal cards were still the most popular?

Perdita
28-06-2009, 12:43
I tend to get ecards these days for my birthday :( I really prefer the proper ones but I suppose they can be expensive, especially if the sender has a large family and lots of friends. Electronic ones can save a lot of money on cards and postage in that case.

di marco
28-06-2009, 17:27
I tend to get ecards these days for my birthday :( I really prefer the proper ones but I suppose they can be expensive, especially if the sender has a large family and lots of friends. Electronic ones can save a lot of money on cards and postage in that case.

oh right i suppose maybe with posting them. i only get cards posted from older relatives who wouldnt use a computer anyway

Abbie
28-06-2009, 20:59
I knew Bay had closed cos I went to their closing down sale

Trinity
29-06-2009, 14:26
I buy a lot of cards from moonpig. It is so much more convenient then having to go to the shops.

Perdita
29-06-2009, 14:46
I buy a lot of cards from moonpig. It is so much more convenient then having to go to the shops.

I agree it is convenient but this is a major reason for shops going out of business.

di marco
30-06-2009, 06:23
the birthdays by me was still open yesterday, no notices about closing down either

Jojo
30-06-2009, 18:31
One of the Birthdays near me has closed, but the Bay Tradings down here are still open.

I far prefer "real" cards, but the supermarkets have helped in putting Birthdays etc under - with some of their value cards at around 25p, there is no way some of the companies can compete with them, plus, so many people get the cards with their weekly shop etc, its making for an "easier" life.

I do send cards through Moonpig to people I don't live near (eh Debs :D), but otherwise, I do try and use our smaller outlets

17-07-2009, 18:14
Allied Carpets has gone into administration, as the stagnating housing market led to a fall in demand for carpets and flooring.

But 51 of its 217 stores and its insurance inspection business have been sold immediately, saving 400 jobs, administrator BDO Stoy Hayward said.

All stores are trading normally and outstanding customer orders will be fulfilled in all stores, it said.

Deposits are safe but anyone with queries should contact a local store.

All staff wages will be paid on the normal payment dates, the administrators said. About 1,100 staff work in the stores that have gone into administration.

Dermot Power, business restructuring partner at BDO, said that, like many companies, Allied Carpets had suffered in difficult trading conditions.

"The stagnation of the housing market has meant that fewer people are buying carpets and flooring," he said.

"We are currently working to secure a going-concern sale of the remaining stores in the Allied Carpets portfolio."

Allied Carpets is the second biggest carpet retailer in the UK, behind Carpetright.

BDO sold the 51 stores and the Allied Carpets brand to a new firm, Allied Carpets Retail Limited, set up by Allied chief executive Clive Hutchings.

Allied is not alone in having seen sales slump as demand for big-ticket homeware goods has fallen in the recession.

Last month, rival Carpetright reported a 72% drop in profits after sales fell 7.4% compared with the previous year.

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that sales in the last two months have seen the biggest declines since the ONS started keeping records in 1988.

According to the most recent figures, sales from household goods stores in the three months to May fell 7.3% compared with a year earlier.

Source: BBC News

willow
02-11-2009, 20:31
another one to add to the list, First Quench/Thresher group went in to administration on thursday, its the company i work for. its really scary thinking you may not have a job very soon :(

Luna
02-11-2009, 21:31
another one to add to the list, First Quench/Thresher group went in to administration on thursday, its the company i work for. its really scary thinking you may not have a job very soon :(

that must be a horrible feeling willow

I heard it on the news the other day xxxxx

willow
02-11-2009, 22:30

that must be a horrible feeling willow

I heard it on the news the other day xxxxx

its just the not knowing what is going to happen, wondering if i will still have a job when i go in tomorrow, i can't apply for anything as it still might be bought out by someone. and i have been there for 7 years so should get a bit of redundancy pay, hopefully

Perdita
03-11-2009, 06:22
Hope you find a new employer quickly. xx

willow
05-11-2009, 23:26

so do i!

i got a call tonight saying we are one of the shop the shops thatare closing, just what you want to hear just before christmas!!

Perdita
06-11-2009, 03:49

so do i!

i got a call tonight saying we are one of the shop the shops thatare closing, just what you want to hear just before christmas!!

I am so sorry, willow, that is bad news. Any chance of being transferred to another shop in your area? Good luck anyway xx

Chloe O'brien
06-11-2009, 12:25
This was in this morning's metro:

More than 1,700 workers at the off-licence group behind Threshers and wine rack are to lose their jobs. A total of 247 First Quench drinks stpres are to close. 247 are to close on 25 November and a further 126 will shut on 2 December.

Hope your employer is one of the ones that find a buyer Williow. It's a terrible time of year to be made redundant.