PDA

View Full Version : Moving Wallpaper returns in 2009

Perdita
09-12-2008, 06:14
Moving Wallpaper is returning for a new run in 2009 - but without companion show Echo Beach!

As Tube Talk revealed back in the summer, this time around Jonathan Pope (Ben Miller) and his team will be working on Renaissance, a one-off zombie drama pilot starring Alan Dale and Kelly Brook.

Leading British screenwriter Tony Jordan - the brains behind the concept - tells us what to expect from the new format.

What changes have you made for the second series of Moving Wallpaper?
"The biggest change is that there is no longer Echo Beach. They've moved on to another production, which is something I always thought that they would do. I think it's fun to mix and match the shows they're making, which is where Renaissance came from."

What inspired Renaissance?
"I thought 'how far away from Echo Beach can we get?' Echo Beach was meant to be candy floss, teenagers in bikinis in the beach, quite light and fluffy. So we ran around the houses to come up with something that I thought hadn't been seen on British television for a while - and then in the middle of writing it, bloody Dead Set came out! Obviously Echo Beach was played straight, and Renaissance is the same. It's quite hard-hitting and quite gory in places."

What's the story of Renaissance?
"Essentially a plane is in the air on a long-haul flight, it lands, and everything seems quiet and strange. It transpires that while they've been in the air, the world has been taken over by zombies. We've got Kelly Brook playing a single girl who is trying to make some sense of her life, on the same flight as Alan Dale's character, who's a divorced dad with two kids. They just happen to be the group that escapes from the plane as zombies attack it. From then on it goes into a road movie, I guess. Without too much road, because of the budget!"

So Moving Wallpaper tracks the making of this one pilot?
"Yeah. Essentially what we've done is try to hold onto the spirit of Moving Wallpaper, which means that one has a direct effect on the other. The story in Renaissance is arced so that over the six episodes of Moving Wallpaper, we go through the normal stuff - the storylining and the writing of the scripts. What's good about this is that we have stunts, a jumbo jet and zombies, flame throwers and stuff like that. It's really cool seeing Jonathan Pope involved in all that!"

One of the good things about the first series was that we saw jokes being set up in Moving Wallpaper, then unfolding straight afterwards in Echo Beach. Do we lose that this time?
"It's not going to work in the same way, simply because they're not running back-to-back. It's a different kind of thing. But the format is the same, so you will see clips of Renaissance in Moving Wallpaper and see things behind-the-scenes of Renaissance so that when you come to watch it, they will give you kind of double-double. You get the drama but also you know how that particular scene came about. You would know things you wouldn't know when you watch any other drama, which is the basic premise behind Moving Wallpaper in the first place."

How does Jonathan react to the demise of Echo Beach?
"Jonathan's great, 'cos he's completely self-serving. He doesn't give a **** about Echo Beach. He's angry at everybody else for it being cancelled, so he blames the writers and he blames the cast. It's not his fault because he's a genius. That lasts all of 20 seconds, then he's trying to find out what his next show's going to be and giving Nancy a hard time about him moving on to something else."

So do we draw a line under Echo Beach then? Did you think about getting the actors in for cameos?
"We talked about it. It's really difficult, because there's lots of different arguments. One is that you don't even mention Echo Beach, you just start a different show. We also discussed doing lots of Echo Beach. In the end I think we got the balance right. In the opening sequences of the programme, we're quite honest and deal with the demise of Echo Beach in a good way. We draw a line under it and move on quite quickly, which I think is the best thing to do. We decided against cameos, so we decided against an entire episode of Jonathan sacking Jason Donovan and Martine McCutcheon. I kind of did that in the last episode and didn't want to do the same gag again."

As for the final scene of Echo Beach, will we ever get a resolution to that?
"We always thought the Moving Wallpaper gang would move on to other shows eventually, but I always envisaged Echo Beach being at least two runs. So I've actually storylined the entire second series of Echo Beach. I'm the only person in the world who knows exactly what happened! I'm thinking maybe I should write it up in a blog or something."

What's the future of Moving Wallpaper if it gets a third series? Would it be more Renaissance or another show?
"I don't ever want Moving Wallpaper to stand on its own and just become a sitcom. That doesn't make any sense to me. We've got Extras and 30 Rock - it's been done before. The thing that makes it unique and ground-breaking is that it's behind-the-scenes of an actual show that you can watch elsewhere. To me that will always be the future of Moving Wallpaper and I will always strive to have that second strand. I don't think we'll do Renaissance again. I think we've now moved on, but I haven't even started thinking about what they would be making in series three. Maybe a sitcom making a sitcom - how cool would that be?"

Moving Wallpaper and Renaissance return to ITV in 2009.

Perdita
18-02-2009, 10:22
The production team from Moving Wallpaper are back to face a new challenge to come up with a hit show for ITV. Egocentric producer Jonathan Pope’s frantic attempt to keep his job results in a new pilot which sees the writers switch from beach romance to zombie apocalypse. In an attempt to make the living dead ‘sexy’, the team have to bag the biggest stars and keep them happy, whilst covering Jonathan’s blazing trail of faux pas – as well as Nancy, the ITV Head of Drama, willing him to fail. Stunts, sex, cringes, and clashes with American execs follow as they attempt to create their zombie masterpiece: Renaissance.

In the first episode the team learn that Echo Beach is no more and Jonathan Pope’s job is on the line. While he begs Nancy for another series, the welfare of his production team appear to be the last thing on his mind – in fact their prospects look bleak. However, as the team prepare to move on to new horizons a clause in Jonathan’s contract means ITV must now offer Jonathan a pilot to produce – much to Nancy’s annoyance.

Never one to soften, Nancy gives Jonathan a paltry minute to submit a treatment for a pilot or face the sack.

Ever the survivor and desperate for a great idea, Jonathan goes to extremes in order to find a great pilot and out of this Renaissance, an apocalyptic Zombie drama, is born. Nancy isn't worried though; she is convinced that this abomination of film will never see the light of day as it'll never pass the litmus test from the focus groups. Renaissance will never grace the home of Coronation Street and Ant and Dec.

Despite Nancy's assurance Jonathan will fail catastrophically he manages to cast his leading lady almost instantly by poaching Kelly Brook from an ITV period drama that's filming nearby.

Friday, 27 February 2009, 9:00PM - 9:30PM

Perdita
23-02-2009, 12:07
Echo Beach is dead (commiserations, Martine) - but Moving Wallpaper lives on. Hurrah! Hoping for a second chance of primetime success, Jonathan Pope and his team are back with a new project: Renaissance, a one-off zombie drama pilot starring Alan Dale and Kelly Brook. We caught up with veteran actor Alan for a chat about his heroic role in the pilot and the prospect of playing himself in the accompanying comedy series.

Is Renaissance intended to be a serious drama or is it comedic?
"No, it stands on its own. It's not like Echo Beach was last year. Moving Wallpaper makes the show, but it's just going to be one half-hour pilot. My character is the hero and Kelly Brook plays the heroine. We've both been in most of the episodes of Moving Wallpaper too."

How does the story of Renaissance play out?
"It starts on a 747, which lands and gets overrun with zombies. My character has three children, Kelly joins us, we escape. At one point I've got a flamethrower and we're cooking zombies! At another point I'm jumpstarting a landrover in the forest somewhere. I had a lot of fun doing it. But it's dead straight - there's no attempt at comedy, it's a horror. It's a pilot for a horror series."

So where do these zombies come from?
"It's explained by one of the characters as a military experiment. Someone got hold of the virus and put a strain of it in the reservoirs. Then the people drank the water and turned into zombies, then started biting non-zombies and turning them into zombies too."

In the real world, is Renaissance actually a pilot too? Could this be a potential real series?
"We laugh about it and chat about it, but I don't think that's the intention. On the other hand, it could happen I suppose!"

What attracted you to this show?
"They sent me some DVDs of Moving Wallpaper last year and I just couldn't stop watching them. Also I love England and love coming here."

Did you watch Echo Beach as well?
"No, I never saw that. Actually I had lunch with Jason [Donovan] when I was doing Spamalot and he was still hoping they might bring that back as well. I never saw any of it. Even its name tends to indicate that it's a soap and I don't really watch soaps, so I wouldn't have watched it anyway."

Are there many crossovers from Moving Wallpaper in the script for Renaissance?
"In Moving Wallpaper Kelly and I play ourselves, so I'm Alan Dale and she's Kelly Brook. I'm trying to chat up one of the writers - it's very funny. I feel very uncomfortable playing myself because I've never done it before and I don't really like some of the things I say, because I wouldn't say that. But when I quoted some of them back to my wife she said 'they know you!' I think I probably am like the character more than I think. But whatever, it's such a thrill to be in it. For me, it's a more watchable The Office."

What was Kelly like to work with?
"Lovely. Gorgeous girl. Obviously physically she's gorgeous but apart from that she's lovely. A girl much sharper than anybody thinks."

Moving Wallpaper returns to ITV1 Friday at 9pm.

Perdita
01-04-2009, 08:31
Moving Wallpaper is facing an Ofcom investigation following claims that it promoted transphobia in a recent episode.

Transsexual character Georgina became a figure of fun when she joined Jonathan Pope's (Ben Miller) scriptwriting team in the ITV1 comedy show's March 20 outing.

The episode saw regular characters referring to Georgina as "it", as well as joking about her "hairy hands, stubbly face and Adam's apple".

A number of viewers have since complained to the broadcasting regulator, arguing that Georgina was used for "cheap laughs".

An Ofcom spokesman told the Daily Star: "We received more than 50 complaints over this and are looking into them."

Have some people not got anything better to do than complain about every little detail in tv shows? :rolleyes:

Tigerpip
01-04-2009, 13:07
Moving Wallpaper is facing an Ofcom investigation following claims that it promoted transphobia in a recent episode.

Transsexual character Georgina became a figure of fun when she joined Jonathan Pope's (Ben Miller) scriptwriting team in the ITV1 comedy show's March 20 outing.

The episode saw regular characters referring to Georgina as "it", as well as joking about her "hairy hands, stubbly face and Adam's apple".

A number of viewers have since complained to the broadcasting regulator, arguing that Georgina was used for "cheap laughs".

An Ofcom spokesman told the Daily Star: "We received more than 50 complaints over this and are looking into them."

Have some people not got anything better to do than complain about every little detail in tv shows? :rolleyes:

For heaven's sake, it is a comedy show -- comedy is based on the downfall of others - and really, this is taking political correctness to an absurd level!
:eek: *T*

DaVeyWaVey
01-04-2009, 18:01
The art of television will eventually be ruined for good because of viewers being too sensitive.