PDA

View Full Version : Craig David

Perdita
25-11-2008, 14:16
Craig David has had his share of ups and downs. On the one hand, he reached number one with his debut album, 2000's Born To It, and he's notched up an impressive 13 top ten singles. But on the other, he's still haunted by his Bo Selecta! portrayal as an incontinent, kestral-keeping northerner. As he prepares to release his Greatest Hits album, we hooked up with Craig for a look back over his career.

How does it feel to be releasing your Greatest Hits album?
"You know what, it's funny how time flies. The first album felt like only yesterday and it's amazing how nine or ten years go by so quickly. But it feels good - I've seen so many artists come and go in that time. The things I've been able to do, the places I've been able to go to, it's been an incredible rollercoaster ride."

When you started out, did you ever imagine you'd sell 13 million records?
"I was always passionate about music and I had a good understanding of what people wanted to hear. As a club DJ I saw the reaction that people gave, so I tried to dissect it and create those sort of songs in the studio. I found I could create those songs, and I learned what works and what doesn't, but to know I've sold 13 million records is just amazing."

How were things different when you started out?
"No one had any history of me - and I was young so I could get away with a lot more. Now when I write songs, I kind of know what people expect from me. You think, 'Will that be OK?' and it's a case of making calculated risks. If I suddenly go off the wall, people won't like it, so I have to calculate."

It's increasingly unusual to make it to a Greatest Hits these days. What's the key to career longevity?
"I think if I'd just stuck with 2-step garage music, I would have lived and died by it. I think allowing myself to create different sounds and work with different producers has helped me. You need to find a balance and be open to where you want to take your sound, but you're only as good as your last song."

Is it important to have the right song at the right time?
"Even if your career's at a place where your popularity or credibility is in question, it's the song that can make you top boy again. I've learned that, and whenever I've got problems or think the record company did something wrong, I know I have to get back in the studio and write a song. I never think I have to be in The Sun getting exposure on the red carpets. All that's nonsense - it's all about the song."

Your new single, 'Insomnia', bears a resemblance to Ne-Yo's 'Closer'. How did that come about?
"It's produced by Jim Beanz, the hot new producer from the Timbaland camp. To be honest I've always wanted to do a four-to-the-floor house track, and it just felt like the right time. I can see the comparisons to 'Closer', but I think it's a good time for that kind of music. People don't necessarily want the traditional R&B - they want dance-driven tracks with an R&B feel, and 'Insomnia' does seem to fit that mould."

How has the digital era changed things for you?
"Before the record company would give us an album with one or two hits - the rest of the tracks were filler. We had no choice but to buy it in that form. Now the consumer has choices, and if the artist doesn't maintain the quality, they'll just download the songs they think are best. I think that's great, but now the artist has to step up to it and create hit after hit. It's the most exciting time because you have to create great music now or it falls by the wayside."

What do the next ten years have in store for you?
"It's hard to say. I'm 27 years old and there's loads of different things that can happen in your life. Responsibilities change - you get married, have kids - but I just want to keep putting out records. I started early and things have changed now, but in the next ten years I'd like to keep on making music that people enjoy. And having fun!"

Craig David's single, 'Insomnia', and Greatest Hits album are both out now.