PDA

View Full Version : New Countdown Team Revealed

Perdita
21-11-2008, 14:08
COUNTDOWN bosses have confirmed that TV presenter Jeff Stelling and maths whizz Rachel Riley will front the show’s new series, which starts in January.

As The Sun revealed earlier this month, the Sky Sports presenter has bagged Des O’Connor’s role.

The dad-of-three is best known for presenting Soccer Saturday on the sports channel.

He said: “I am delighted to be hosting Countdown and follow in the footsteps of such great broadcasters as Richard Whitely, Des Lynam and Des O’Connor.”

Carol Vorderman’s replacement is 22-year-old Oxford graduate Rachel – who has no previous TV experience and was chosen from over 1,000 applicants for the job.

She was tested on her maths skills and abilities in front of the camera before being offered the part.

Rachel exclaimed: “This is the best graduate job in the world. There’s only one cool maths job around and I was lucky enough to get it so I’m absolutely thrilled.”

Helen Warner, Head of Channel 4 Daytime, added: “I’m very excited that Jeff and Rachel will be picking up the Countdown baton from 2009.

"They make a great team and I feel certain that our much-loved words and numbers game will go from strength to strength with them at the helm.”

Siobhan
21-11-2008, 14:18
There will only ever be one countdown team for me and that is Richard and Carol.. nobody will even come close

Chloe O'brien
28-11-2008, 22:54
I miss the competitions me and my brother used to have watching this as we tried to out-do each other on who could make the longest word. It just won't be the same without Richard and Carol.

Katy
29-11-2008, 09:59
jeff stelling! I cant really see him in that role, oh we'll have t wait and see, you are right though it isnt the same without Richard and Carol.

I laughed when i read Jeff Stelling though, i was jjust hoping the other part the team wastn KAmmy, now that would be funny,

parkerman
29-11-2008, 14:56
Do we know if Susie is still going to be in dictionary corner?

Perdita
29-11-2008, 21:58
I have not heard or read that she is going, so I would like to think she stays. She is brilliant imo.

Bryan
28-12-2008, 12:01
Countdown's new co-host Rachel Riley has been struggling to match the standard set by her predecessor Carol Vorderman, according to a report today.

The 22-year-old Oxford graduate took over as the programme's numbers and letters girl last month following Vorderman's departure. She was joined by sports presenter Jeff Stelling, who replaced main host Des O'Connor.

Insiders have claimed that Riley was unable to solve the show's number puzzles as quickly and accurately as Vorderman in her first three weeks of filming.

One source told the News of the World: "It's clear she hasn't managed to match Carol's skills yet. If the contestants couldn't solve a problem Carol would quickly do it for them. But during the filming for her first 15 episodes the new girl made some mistakes."

An audience member added: "It was obvious she was doing her best but she was off target a few times when I was watching. It was a little embarrassing but I'm sure she will find her feet. It can be very intimidating standing in front of a studio audience."

Vorderman announced that she had quit the Channel 4 game show in July. She later claimed that she had been "forced out" by the programme's bosses.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman insisted: "We have pre-recorded a small number of episodes so far. Things have been going very well and Rachel and Jeff make a very good team."

DaVeyWaVey
28-12-2008, 12:08
It must be tough for her.. after all, she is taking over Carol Vorderman! She must feel very nervous filling the shoes of someone who was on the show for years and years. She'll probably find her feet after filming a good few shows.

Emmie
29-12-2008, 02:14
i haven't watched it in years :s

Pinkbanana
29-12-2008, 22:46
I personally think Countdown has had its day....will be interesting to see how the ratings do when it returns....