PDA

View Full Version : Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

lizann
06-11-2008, 12:51
Any good herbal remedies?

Is Aloe Vera worth taking for this?

I know there is no cure for IBS

Perdita
06-11-2008, 13:09
An Australian study published in 1998 in the Journal of the American Medical Association lends strong scientific support to treating IBS with Chinese herbs. In this double-blind study, 116 patients with IBS were divided into three groups. One group was given a standard Chinese herbal preparation, a second group was given customized herbal formulas (individually written for each patient), and a third group was given a placebo. Each patient had regular consultations with both a Chinese herbal-medicine practitioner and a gastroenterologist. Both groups taking the Chinese herbs showed significant improvement over the patients taking the placebo. Positive results were reported by both the patients themselves and the gastroenterologists. Although there was improvement in both groups of patients taking herbs, it is important to note that the positive effects were shown to last longer in the group that was given individualized formulas. Only these patients had maintained improvement on a follow-up consultation 14 weeks after completing the treatment. This study clearly shows that Chinese herbalism is most effective when each patient is treated not only for their condition, but also for their bodily constitution and other presenting symptoms. According to the principles of Chinese medicine, each patient must be treated as an individual. Optimal results will be obtained with both herbs and acupuncture when specific treatments are customized for each patient.

From the internet

Trinity
06-11-2008, 13:21
I have IBS, and I have several friend who are also afflicted.

I have a hypnotherapy CD that was recommended for IBS by a friend. She uses it a lot and highly recommends it, it really just helped me to relax and I suppose that does help.

I go tablets (colefec) from the doc - they certainly helped, but something else I notice was apart from stress my hormone cycle seemed to influence my IBS.

My IBS was much, much reduced after I had a hysterectomy for fibroids.

Bryan
06-11-2008, 14:09
i feel really sorry for anyone with this illness, my friend and a relative also have this disease and it's so defeating, they can't go anywhere really without having to worry about their condition. I just can't imagine how bad it must be, and admire those who have it and go along leading normal lives

my only suggestion, from what a friend has told me is hot water bottles, it tends to settle her stomach when she has it bad.

Chloe O'brien
06-11-2008, 21:07
My Marley sufffers form it although at the moment they are calling it a slow transision as they feels it too early to diagnose IBS as she is only 10. She has had it for two years now as I have to watch what I give her to eat. I use Raw bran when I'm cooking as this helps her. Trips out can be a nightmare as even going to the cinema can have her going to the toilet four or five times and she hates going on school trips as she if terrified of having an accident when she is out.