PDA

View Full Version : Katie Melua

Perdita
03-11-2008, 11:07
Her debut single, 'The Closest Thing To Crazy', came out just five years ago, but Katie Melua has packed a lot into her short career, releasing three platinum-selling albums and dueting with everyone from Brian May to Eva Cassidy. Now, as she prepares to break away from musical mentor Mike Batt, she's collected her most popular songs into a 'Best Of' disc. We called up the raven-haired crooner to find out more.

Why now for your 'Best Of' collection?
"I've always said these three records make up the first chapter of my career, so it feels like the right time. I'm definitely planning to release more music, but it will be a bit different from what I've done so far so it's nice to draw a line under everything and highlight all the best bits."

Are you also drawing the line under your musical partnership with Mike Batt?
"Yes, that's also part of it. Mike has been so influential and so important on my three records, but we've worked so closely together and he can't spend the rest of his career working with just one artist. He's still going to be managing me and executive producing though."

Are you nervous about breaking away from him?
"I am. It's going to feel like an important part's missing, but he's still going to be around and I'm still going to go to him for advice. I'm also really excited and looking forward to trying something different."

Have you started thinking about your next album yet?
"I have, but I'm not really worried about what my next direction's going to be. I just want to take my time, write some songs and see what happens. I know I've been really *******ing lucky with what's happened with my first three records. To have a 'Best Of' by the time you're 24 is pretty incredible."

What's been the highlight of your career so far?
"Maybe just keeping sane through it all? That's a definite highlight!"

You've got a reputation for being pleasant, down-to-earth and, as you say, very sane. Are you as nice as you seem?
"Haha! I suppose I am. In a way everyone's nice, aren't they? But everyone has a bit of a dark side too I think. I'm sure I do."

How does your dark side manifest itself?
"Well, it depends how you define dark. I have an obsession with horror films, I love old things and Halloween is my favourite day of the year. As a kid I used to flick through my dad's surgery books - I liked the pictures and the gore! I think the media impression of me is a bit one-sided, but I'm not willing to do anything to change it. I don't want to open up my private life to the public. Whatever dark side I have, I want to keep to myself. If it does come out, it will probably be through my music."

You're also a bit of an adrenaline junkie.
"I am! When I finish my tour I want to get a parachuting licence. And I went swimming with sharks when I was in South Africa recently. This sort of thing just makes me feel really good - I get so happy and so high! I believe in having adventures and making sure you try lots of new experiences."

When you started out, there weren't many strong British female artists in the charts, but now there are loads. Why do you think that is?
"I think everything goes in cycles and this is clearly the time of the female singer-songwriters. It's all good as far as I'm concerned! I think Adele's a gorgeous singer and I think Duffy's got a really sexy, beautiful voice. I haven't listened to them as much as I should, so I can't give them a proper critique, but I like what I've heard."

Katie Melua's single, 'Two Bare Feet', and album, The Katie Melua Collection, are both out now.

I think she is fab :cheer:

Chris_2k11
03-11-2008, 19:11
I find her VERY boring!