PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand suspended from BBC

Abi
29-10-2008, 12:48
Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand are to be suspended and all their shows taken off air until the BBC has investigated their prank calls made on Radio 2.

The news was announced in a statement by director general Mark Thompson.

Meanwhile, Georgina Baillie has told the Sun that Ross and Brand should be sacked over the calls made to her grandfather, actor Andrew Sachs.

The prime minister had also criticised the pair for "inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour".

Brand and Ross made a series of prank calls to Sachs, 78, famous for his part in Fawlty Towers. The calls were broadcast on Radio 2 as part of Russell Brand's pre-recorded Saturday night show on 18 October.

During the calls, Ross swore and said Brand had slept with Sachs' granddaughter.

More than 18,000 people have complained to the BBC.

'Breach of privacy'

This gross lapse of taste by the performers and the production team has angered licence payers
Mark Thompson

Statement in full

Mr Thompson said he would be returning from a holiday and would "in the coming days, announce what action we will take".

"Since Sunday, I have been in regular contact with the senior executives I tasked with handling this issue," he said.

"In the meantime, I have decided that it is not appropriate for either Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross to continue broadcasting on the BBC until I have seen the full report of the actions of all concerned.

"This gross lapse of taste by the performers and the production team has angered licence payers."

He added his "own personal and unreserved apology to Andrew Sachs, his family and to licence fee payers for the completely unacceptable broadcast".

BBC One show Friday Night with Jonathan Ross was due to have been filmed at BBC Television Centre, west London, later on Wednesday.

Guests on the show were to have been Sir David Attenborough, comedian Frank Skinner, US teen singer Miley Cyrus and band The Killers. The BBC said people with tickets to be in the audience should not attend.

A decision has yet to be taken on what should be shown in its place on Friday night.

Ross's Saturday morning radio show, as well as Brand's Saturday night radio show, have also been pulled from Radio 2's schedules.

'Lovely old man'

Meanwhile, Ms Baillie, 23, told the Sun the pair should "pay for what they've done with their jobs".

She said her grandfather was "really upset and says he wants the whole situation to end".

"What's funny about humiliating a lovely old man who has never harmed anyone in his life?" she added.

She said Brand and Ross were "beyond contempt".

"It was bad enough that they recorded these things on my grandfather's answer machine but astonishing the BBC saw fit to broadcast it when they could have stopped it.

"Someone high up at the BBC must have decided it was funny and suitable for national radio. They've shown an appalling lack of judgement."

On Tuesday afternoon, Sachs told the BBC that Ross had "personally delivered a letter of apology and some flowers" since the broadcast.

He has not "heard anything" from Brand, the actor added.

'Risky line'

Conservative shadow culture secretary Jeremy Hunt said in a speech to the London School of Economics on Wednesday that it was "wrong for broadcasters to produce programmes that legitimise negative social behaviour".

He told BBC News the corporation's reaction to the affair was "concerning".

"We still don't know who gave permission for that broadcast to go out.

"It looks like it broke the broadcasting code about not doing things that are offensive and not doing things that breach people's privacy."

Abi
29-10-2008, 12:50
Well, i thought it was quite funny actually. I can understand this Sachs guy and his grandaughter being angry about it, but all this fuss about it seems a bit over the top. Suspending both of them doesn't seem right either - It should be the producers who take the blame for playing it. Its not like it was live and they had no control over putting it out. Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross were just doing what they thought was comedy - The BBC didn't have to play it.

Bryan
29-10-2008, 12:52
my oh my, the BBC are taking this very seriously aren't they. I don't know how Brand thinks he can get away with saying things like that, it's disgusting. suprised Jonathon Ross is involved, seems out of character for him. To think he could loose that massize paycheque of tax payer's money if he was fired from the BBC.

DaVeyWaVey
29-10-2008, 12:53
I'm not much of a fan of Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand, but I do think this whole thing has been all blown out of proportion. Like you said Abi, it was up to the BBC to make a judgement over whether it was suitable to be broadcast.

They've both apologised to the people involved anyway and that should be the end of that. Everyone should move on but instead, thousands of viewers are complaining!

Kirsty :]
29-10-2008, 13:43
I agree this is taken way out of proportion and well.. what you've all said.

Hello... Fonejacker? but then I suppose because these prank calls are being made to the public.. no-one really cares. It's always blown out of proportion when it involves a celebrity...It's quite silly in my opinion

Abbie
29-10-2008, 18:19
This has been on the radio all day when Ive been in the car for hours, I mean ok, it was a prank and all, but people should know what those two are like. Yes they should have said it but at least people recognise what those 2 guys are like and it wasnt from someone you wouldnt expect

Trinity
29-10-2008, 18:23
I thought that the whole episode was appalling.

Russell Brand basically phoned up Andrew Sachs and told him repeatedly about how he had slept with his granddaughter.

Would any of you like your personal life not only broadcast to the world but telephoned to your elderly relatives?

The guy is scum. May no woman be stupid enough to trust him again.

Jonathan Ross is old enough to know better.

This wasn't a 'joke' it wasn't 'funny', it was a blatant breach of trust between two people who had had a sexual relationship in the past. This is not entertainment.

I hear that Russell has resigned.

Good.

Abi
29-10-2008, 18:51

Russell Brand basically phoned up Andrew Sachs and told him repeatedly about how he had slept with his granddaughter.

Would any of you like your personal life not only broadcast to the world but telephoned to your elderly relatives?

This wasn't a 'joke' it wasn't 'funny', it was a blatant breach of trust between two people who had had a sexual relationship in the past. This is not entertainment.

Good.

But the show was recorded. Its not like the BBC had no choice but to air it. They should have done their jobs properly and gotten clearance from his manager before airing it. Sure, it wasn't a nice thing for Brand and Ross to do. But the BBC did not have to air it. They were irresponsible to do so. Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross shouldn't be taking the flack, but the idiots who made the decision to air it.

Bad Wolf
29-10-2008, 18:59
god knows how this thing made it to air- it was a precord!!!

Trinity
29-10-2008, 19:07

Good.

But the show was recorded. Its not like the BBC had no choice but to air it. They should have done their jobs properly and gotten clearance from his manager before airing it. Sure, it wasn't a nice thing for Brand and Ross to do. But the BBC did not have to air it. They were irresponsible to do so. Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross shouldn't be taking the flack, but the idiots who made the decision to air it.

Yes - this is true. The BBC should not have aired the show. However - whether the show was aired or not doesn't change the fact that they left messages on an old mans answer machine going on about how Brand had slept with his granddaughter.

They did this while at work being paid by you and me.

The flack should be shared - with a big share going to scumbag Brand.

pookie1968uk
29-10-2008, 20:14
well brand has actually resigned now. cant say i will miss him! bet jonathan ross wont follow though, he earns too much money to give it up!! i actually think he can be quite funny but always ends up going too far. russell brand is just gross though!!

Debs
29-10-2008, 20:59
Dissapointed he has resigned but would probably have been sacked anyway! Russell is known for this, i lsten to his radio show regularly and he phones people all the time, he picked the wrong person! Hes resigned, he dosent need the bbc anyway he is better on channel 4, can get away with more! If this women, is so bothered about her private life, comments being made on her why is she selling her story to the sun???

and why was a pre recored show ( his show often is!!) allowed to be aired! FFS they know hes like!

not going to make me dislike russell brand or jonathan ross

JustJodi
29-10-2008, 21:06
Jonathan Ross always hit on all the women that are on his show, most recent was Grace Jones ( ugh ) if Jonathan is SMART,, he will make a seperate and public apology, cos I can not see him loosing that money he makes on those tv shows he hosts, hes got a wife and 2 daughters, and they are obviously HIGH MAINTANCE ........:(

Jojo
29-10-2008, 22:50
The only thing I would say, is a) why was it aired in the first place and b) its only since its been on the news that however many thousands of people have complained - I wonder how many of these actually complained at the time the show was aired on 18th October (which from what I've read is actually 2, but then I don't trust what I read anyway)

It shouldn't have happened in the first place, BUT the producers, editors or whoever it was that decided in their infinite wisdom to air the programme anyway, should be held to task over it. I agree its something that I would be peed off about had it happened to me, but I also think its being blown way out of proportion. I agree with Debs, that if the grand-daughter was so upset etc about having her dirty linen aired in public, then why is she selling her story to the Sun for her grandad to now have to read aswell.

In summary (lol), it should never have happened, production staff should never have aired it, but its also had more complaints about it, from people who have heard about it on the news, who would have heard nothing about it had it not been talked about by the media.

Pinkbanana
29-10-2008, 23:02
In summary (lol), it should never have happened, production staff should never have aired it, but its also had more complaints about it, from people who have heard about it on the news, who would have heard nothing about it had it not been talked about by the media.

That fact still remains that two employees of the BBC, whilst at work, phoned up an elderly man and left pretty vile messages on his answer phone. I'm glad that those two individuals are being pulled up, as I think they push the boundaries, under the guise of 'entertainment', too far.

Jojo
29-10-2008, 23:28

That fact still remains that two employees of the BBC, whilst at work, phoned up an elderly man and left pretty vile messages on his answer phone. I'm glad that those two individuals are being pulled up, as I think they push the boundaries, under the guise of 'entertainment', too far.

I'm not disputing that - I don't agree with it one bit, but there are a lot of people that need taking to task over this. Having listened to the episode in question, I fully agree that something needed to be done, BUT there are still people that listened to this prior to the airing on 18th October that should have not allowed this to go ahead.

Is this really the headline news for News at 10/10 o'clock News - there is far more going on out there, yet this is at the forefront of it. I thought the lady suffering from MS, unable to gain clarification on the assisted suicide laws was far more important and headline news than this.

Perdita
30-10-2008, 08:03
I think they both behaved appallingly, whether it was recorded or not. Yes, it did not have to be broadcast but the producers should have stepped in when they recorded the phone call and thrown these two waste of space out once they became aware of what they did. :angry:

Debs
30-10-2008, 08:52
The only thing I would say, is a) why was it aired in the first place and b) its only since its been on the news that however many thousands of people have complained - I wonder how many of these actually complained at the time the show was aired on 18th October (which from what I've read is actually 2, but then I don't trust what I read anyway)

It shouldn't have happened in the first place, BUT the producers, editors or whoever it was that decided in their infinite wisdom to air the programme anyway, should be held to task over it. I agree its something that I would be peed off about had it happened to me, but I also think its being blown way out of proportion. I agree with Debs, that if the grand-daughter was so upset etc about having her dirty linen aired in public, then why is she selling her story to the Sun for her grandad to now have to read aswell.

I watched newsnight last night ( shocking in itself, im not a news type of person :lol: ) and they said 2 people complianed while show was aired!!! 2!!!! 2 people out of thousands that listen to his show and then when it was picked up by a paper suddenly thousands complained about it :rolleyes:

And the grandddaughter, saying it could have ruined her relationship with her grandfather :rolleyes: Wtf?? for saying he slept with her??? what does her grandfather think she is some innocent virgin?? this coming form a women who is in a burlesque troop called the satanic sluts??? Still a goodd way for her to make some money i guess :rolleyes:

Bryan
30-10-2008, 09:35
i think Brand has become the scapegoat to save the BBC's goldenboy Ross. After all it was Ross who shouted "he ****ed your grandaughter" yet Russel is getting the majority of the blame.

Everyone knows what Brand is like, and if the show is pre-recorded, it should never have got out there!

Sack Ross is what I say, then 18 million of taxpayers money can be spent elsehwere at the BBC, providing us with some quality programming.

Perdita
30-10-2008, 09:40
i think Brand has become the scapegoat to save the BBC's goldenboy Ross. After all it was Ross who shouted "he ****ed your grandaughter" yet Russel is getting the majority of the blame.

Everyone knows what Brand is like, and if the show is pre-recorded, it should never have got out there!

Sack Ross is what I say, then 18 million of taxpayers money can be spent elsehwere at the BBC, providing us with some quality programming.

I agree that Ross should be sacked, it was offensive and insulting what they did. Does not matter that the girl is in a burlesque troop called The Satanic Sluts, nobody and nobody's family deserves to be treated like that.

Debs
30-10-2008, 09:51

I agree that Ross should be sacked, it was offensive and insulting what they did. Does not matter that the girl is in a burlesque troop called The Satanic Sluts, nobody and nobody's family deserves to be treated like that.

If she is that bothered about the embarrasement she shouldt be flaunting herself in the paper, talking about the sex she had with russell, surely that is more embarrasing for her and and her grandfather. He has accepted the apology yet she is carrying it all on.

I think this is yet again a case of a laod of people just complaining as they have nothing better to do! people who dont even usually listen to his show :rolleyes:

Perdita
30-10-2008, 10:00
Seeing that what she did with Brand and what she does with the troop is all out in the news, she might as well give her side of the story. She never went out to 'kiss and tell' before now, did she?

tammyy2j
30-10-2008, 10:51
what they did was wrong but the granddaughter was with Brand yes?

I think with the PM also getting involved its going overboard

Debs
30-10-2008, 12:17
Seeing that what she did with Brand and what she does with the troop is all out in the news, she might as well give her side of the story. She never went out to 'kiss and tell' before now, did she?

The whole thing with the 'i slept with your granddaughter ' comment was said by her to embarrass her grandfather and upset her, hence why she is 'appareantly' sooo upset!!! so why the hell put it out there more and more, why dosent she just disaappear if it is so embarrasssing! but nope money sign have flashed in front of her eyes and she is sellingher story!

Im sure she will be in the news if the world on sunday,selling more details and posing in very little clothes :rolleyes:

Dont get all moral and make a comment saying this could ruin my relaitonship with my grandfather if your going to reveal even more details yourself!

Layne
30-10-2008, 12:33
I think this is all blown out of proportion :rolleyes:

Johnathon Ross and Russell Brand are known for being naughty and on the edge, and to be honest if anyone was to do something like this it would be them. Yes it was naughty, and not nice but get over it.
This story took up most of the news last night and to be honest its not important, there is much more important things going on it the world than Russell and Johanthon making a phonecall :rolleyes:

The daughter who the phonecall was about is now selling her story to the sun :rolleyes: So yeh, it really must of hurt her!!

I do think them being suspended and whatever is right, but why did the radio show let them do it anyway - the BBC and the public are making a big deal out of it - making it worse than it is, people need to get a life to be honest, they are all complaining about this and its taking so much airtime and space in the newspaper, is this what are society is reduced to .... reading and complaining about a couple of guys who had a bit of a joke.

EDIT: Oh and another thing, yesterday there was this MP guy on GMTV saying about it, and how if they were normal people (or somethign to that affect) they would be suspended, but if this happened to NORMAL people as in non-celebs, then the police wouldn't give two flying ****s, If my granddad rang up and said some people were ringing him about me, they would probably look into it but no way would it be blown up like this.

And Andrew seems to have accepted the apoligises and was beng rather nice about it, so its just the news and the public that have made this out to be something its not!

RANT OVER!

Trinity
30-10-2008, 12:47
what they did was wrong but the granddaughter was with Brand yes?

I think with the PM also getting involved its going overboard

I don't think that I would appreciate it if anyone I slept with as a young woman was to phone my grandfather and brag about it.

The fact that she had slept with Brand (two years ago) is immaterial.

They are not being criticised for lying, they are being criticised for making lewd and inappropriate telephone calls while being paid handsomely by you and me.

The fact that these calls were subsequently broadcast is another issue, and someone at the BBC also deserves to be repremanded.

Georgina's career and past have nothing to do with this.

The fact that she is now exploiting this incident and making money from it does reduce my sympathy for her significantly, however she was not the instigator here and what ever she does now does not reduce Brand and Rosses folly ( and utter stupidity).

tammyy2j
30-10-2008, 14:06
The Manuelgate scandal has descended into Fawlty Towers-style farce. :lol:

di marco
30-10-2008, 20:28
i agree with everyone else whos said that its being blown way out of proportion! i dont like russel brand but im not surprised he did something like this. i also heard that only 2 people complained when the show was aired, last night 18000 people had complained and on the radio this morning it said 27000 people had now complained, if they didnt feel the need to complain before then why bother now. ok maybe what jonathan ross and russel brand said was inappropriate (i dont know cos i didnt hear it) but ultimately the producer shouldnt have allowed it to be aired

Chloe O'brien
30-10-2008, 21:43
Ross has been suspended for 12 weeks without pay, maybe this will give him a reality shock. The Producers or JR show should have been sacked last week, this incident should never have been allowed to happen, as sooon as they started the insults the producer should have pulled the plug on Russell and jonathan not allow them all the media attention they have had this week.

di marco
30-10-2008, 23:08
read on ds that the controller for programmes on radio 2 has resigned. i wonder if she would have been disciplined otherwise

Abi
30-10-2008, 23:11
I've been thinking about this this afternoon..

Russell Brand slept with his grandaughter. And then told him. On a pre-recorded radio show.

When you consider how basic the story actually is, its hard to see why its a scandel. Two concenting adults having sex, and then telling the family. Thats not a crime, and its not "indecent" (Though, perhaps tasteless). Its the fact its on the radio which is the issue.

I'm glad the Radio 2 controller has resigned. The buck lies with her.

EDIT TO ADD:

Just read this. Got to agree with Noel Gallagher on this one:

"Personally, I'm outraged that, yet again, the joyless *******ers who write the columns in the Daily Mail, The Telegraph or The Observer have dictated the tone and are telling people how to behave.

"I've seen the Daily Mail, they said that Russell should be arrested and charged. Arrested for what? For taking the p**s? It's so typical of the English in general. 10,000 people get outraged, but only days after it has happened."

Perdita
31-10-2008, 07:54
I don't think that phoning a grandfather and leaving rude messages on his answer machine that a comedian 'sha**ed' his grandaughter 2 years ago is fun in any sense and in my opinion scandalous. There are adult entertainers and comedians being close to the edge and then there is downright being offensive and insulting. Perhaps it is time to look at the boundaries of decency that seem to disappear more and more under the mantle of freedom of speech and individuality and being modern.

lizann
31-10-2008, 10:07
Its has a name now "Manuelgate Scandal"
:lol:

Perdita
31-10-2008, 10:09
All unpopular and scandalous incidents quickly get a 'Gate' name :lol:

Jojo
31-10-2008, 15:15
I do wonder though - if this happened to you or me - us "normal" members of the public, would this kind of treatment/outcry etc be happening - I think not.

I was getting harrassing text messages by phone, with lewd remarks made on them, but did the police do anything, or was anyone interested - No.

Yet the minute, its a celeb involved - all hell breaks loose.

Trinity
31-10-2008, 15:22
There are some differences:

1. They were doing it on 'our' time - at work. (And lets face it this sort of this would be a disciplinary offence at my work).

2. They broadcast it to the world.

Jojo
31-10-2008, 15:27
And they have been disciplined about it. But if they phoned me and left the message on my answerphone, would there be the same reaction to it, or is it more about it being Andrew Sach's answerphone and talking about his granddaughter? Because there have been many "Fonejacking" scenarios, both radio and on tv, but none have had this effect.

I'm just playing devils advocat here

Abbie
31-10-2008, 15:31
I do wonder though - if this happened to you or me - us "normal" members of the public, would this kind of treatment/outcry etc be happening - I think not.

It wouldnt have, we probably wouldnt even heard about it

Trinity
31-10-2008, 15:39

The only reason we heard about this is because they played it over the radio.....

Jojo
31-10-2008, 15:40

Exactly Abbie - no one would give a rats backside tbh.

I'm sorry, but this being headline news for the past how many days is now getting ridiculous - there are far more things going on in this world, that to me are far more important in life, than this. Lets move on...:rolleyes:

Jojo
31-10-2008, 15:41

The only reason we heard about this is because they played it over the radio.....

But it wasn't just because of that though. It was because the media found out about it, then publicised it more, then you had people posting on youtube (and i've seen and heard far worse things on youtube I have to say) and then apart from the 2 people that listened to the actual show and complained, those that heard about it on the news then decided to complain - two weeks after the show was broadcast.

Abbie
31-10-2008, 15:42

Yeah but even if t was on the radio and it happened it someone well normal, I still have my doubts whether it would have made big news, its only become bog news cos its happened to someone famous

Trinity
31-10-2008, 15:45
What I mean is they put it into the public domain.

And, yes there is a lot more interest in it but not only because they are 'celebs'.

They are highly paid employees of a publicly funded broadcasting company, i.e. we pay their salary, and to be honest i think that this point is the one that exasperates so many people. We are paying them, and we are paying for the phone bill and we are paying for it to be broadcast.

Trinity
31-10-2008, 15:46

Yeah but even if t was on the radio and it happened it someone well normal, I still have my doubts whether it would have made big news, its only become bog news cos its happened to someone famous

To be honest I don't think that who they did it to is the main issue.

It is who did it.

Jojo
31-10-2008, 15:48
I have to agree with Abbie though I'm afraid.

If it were you or me that had this happen to them, no one would give a toss. They really wouldn't, whether we, the taxpayer, pays their wages or not.

Out of interest - how many people actually listened to the actual broadcast? And out of that many people, 2 complained. How many people here listened to the broadcast on the day? And how many of us, would have known anything about it, had the media not got hold of the story and publicised it.

Its not the point, and I've never said that I've agreed with anything the pair of them did, but the BBC know full well what they are both like. Their listeners know what they are like. The programme was aired without being edited - first problem. And two weeks after it happens, all hell breaks loose, from people who didn't listen to the show in the first place.

And I know that isn't the point, but I think it makes a huge difference that it was Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter involved and not plain old Joe Bloggs.

StarsOfCCTV
31-10-2008, 15:53
In the newspaper today there was a fresh public outcry at a comment on the queen made on mock the week and how television is getting 'obscene'. What made me laugh is the programme was made 21 months ago and its only being bought up now! No one cared at the time...

I know what JR and Brand did was of order but to be honest there's plenty of other shows that insult people, e.g. little britain and there's no public outcry at many of the types of society they've portrayed like that woman who goes around licking people or that person who goes around throwing up on people. I don't like JR because his shows boring and Brand I can give or take but I think they've been singled out where really the person who let it be broadcast it is just as much to blame - surely they listened to the show before letting it go on air?and I agree its been blown way out of proportion. The only difference I can see between this and other shows is they left messages on the answering machine. I bet if they'd just insulted that family on air they wouldn't have got punished as much.

Abbie
31-10-2008, 15:58
I dont agree with that they did but stories like this just go to show that us 'normal' people really arent treated the same as celebs, im sure there have been pranks on people like us before, possibly on the radio or stuff, but we have never heard of them and if it has happened well then it hasnt concerned the media
what makes this so big are a) the people that did it b) the people who it was done too.
I never heard it on the day, I only heard about it the other day when I have in car for ages and on the radio they were talking about all the time in the news slots and asking people text in their thoughts

Perdita
31-10-2008, 17:53
I think what also makes a difference is that this was an actual phone call made, not just standing there and taking the mick. It is different just talking about/mimicking others but even Jeremy Beadle was never this vindictive when he did "You have been framed" or the pranks on Candid Camera, imo.

Layne
31-10-2008, 17:54
I feel like ringing up BBC/the newspapers/media whatever - and ****ing complaining for the complete and utter sham this has all become :rolleyes:
STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT (the news and stuff - i'm not digging at people on here, as i am here commenting!) - and all this about bringing up Mock the Week - Its FUNNY, the whole point of the show is 'mocking the weekly news' ... and if they aren't allowed to do that then surely the show loses its point.

This is like all that political correctness that has gone completly INSANE!

Oh and i'm with Abbie, If they had done this to 'normal' people NO ONE would care - especially not the police - come off it, we live in a celebrity obsessed society :rolleyes:

StarsOfCCTV
31-10-2008, 21:09
Anyone else watching have I got news for you? :lol:

parkerman
01-11-2008, 10:28
Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand.
Punishment out of proportion with the supposed crime!
After all only 2 people complained when it was broadcast.
The granddaughter is an erotic dancer, just out for the publicityand should thank JR and RB for the exposure she's been given.
Andrew Sachs is a celebrity and so should expect that kind of treatment.
Have a sense of humour ,"Andy mate".

The quick response to these views is B*****ks

The other response is slightly longer, So dig in,put kettle on for a cup of Tea or Coffee, refill your glass, raid the fridge or biscuit barrel for some goodies,

Ready! Comfy! here we go!!!!

Imagine this scenario:
You have just got home after work, your grand daughter was supposed to meet you but was out dancing that night.

"I'll just check the answerphone, to see if G left a message about tonight".

CLICK; "hello Mr S
R and J here"
"I *********d your grand daughter G, but don't worry I used a condom and she wasn't menstruating"
"oops we might have upset you, so we are coming over to break into your place, whilst your asleep and give you a hand job , to cheer you up."

Even if you knew who left the message, I doubt you'd find it funny.
Threatening, scary, or just childish and juvenile rubbish.
But Not Funny!!!!

Maybe your wife got to the answerphone first, She definitely would not have found it FUNNY!!!
Disgusted, shocked and now fearful that some lunatics might come into the house one night.
Terrified and hysterical of being assaulted or worse in her bed at night.
But she certainly would not be AMUSED.

Then to compound the issue, these morons tell you they have recorded this message and they are going to play it to your work colleagues and anyone else who cares to listen.

Even though you voice your displeasure and ask them to refrain they still do it.

On the night only 2 people complain, many others disapproved but couldn't be bothered to phone up about it.

The perpetrators just sat there smugly guffawing, with their small band of like minded morons, totally oblivious of the
discomfort and annoyance they have caused. Aren't we clever and FUNNY!!

Not any kind of acceptable apology is made to you your grand daughter or family

NOW, TELL ME HAVE ROSS AND BRAND,BEEN UNFAIRLY TREATED.
AFTER ALL ONLY 2 PEOPLE COMPLAINED.

As I said before ; Have they B******ks!!!!!
(Funny how we show more decency on this forum, with regards to language and morality, then the BBC).

Okay all over, thank you for staying the whole trip.

miccisy
01-11-2008, 19:17
All in all i think this has been blown way out of proportion no doubt by the Sachs family to get publicity for this ugly girl that wants to be a model. She has now sold her side of the story to the Sun saying how this could have ruined her "career". I know, i couldnt believe either. In all honesty this has probably made her career as no-one had even heard of her before this happened.

All the things said on the TV and radio by comedians and this is the thing that sparks complaints. Pathetic i say.

They rang him up and yeah said some distastful but true things about his grandaughter. But then the production team got in touch with him and he agreed for this to be aired as long as it was cut/ edited appropriately. The production team then decided to ignore him and show it anyway no way involving JR or RB in this at all.

So in my opinion yeah they shouldnt have said it but i dont think they should have got done because it was not their fault that it was aired.

And one last comment... I wonder what would have happened if it was just some ordinary person they rang up and not an old celeb. I bet none of this would have happened. No publicity, no suspension, nothing...

Bryan
01-11-2008, 19:27
i love how Ross' new autobiography is called "Why Do I Say These Things?", oh the irony

tammyy2j
04-11-2008, 10:37
His granddaughter is no innocent victim :thumbsdow

I miss the Jonathan Ross Show on TV it was one of the best shows on the BBC and Brand's character is soaring in the US so i doubt he minds

Manuelgate completely blown out of proportion

parkerman
04-11-2008, 10:41
His granddaughter is no innocent victim :thumbsdow

She wasn't the victim. A 78 year old man was.

miccisy
04-11-2008, 16:49
Right so the girl (im sorry i dont know her name) had said that she thought it was disgusting that RB had done this because she thought her grandad should not have been told sordid sexual things about her right.

Right so that thing i do agree with. Maybe they took it too far.

But now wait for it....

She...her..the one who said it was disgusting to reveal stuff like that... has once again sold her story talking about that very night of passion she had with RB and every sordid detail.

Now if you thought it was disgusting to reveal stuff like that because you didnt want family members knowing then would you sell your story?!?!?

Once again this just proves my theory that her and her family have done this for publicity.

Think of all the money she will have made for selling her story to the papers. That story that she thought her grandad should not know.

I am still at the opinion that the producers were at fault for all of this as they showed the footage. Sachs said it was fine to show it as long as it was cut appropriately and this was not done. So the blame lies with them.

And another thing... are we not allowed to joke anymore? Now Mock the Week may get done for saying something about the queen.
Im sorry but this really p**sed me off. The female newsreader on ITV said to some man from BBC. Do you think it was right for them to say "Im so old my P***y is haunted" and she went on to say "she is our manarch and shouldnt be made fun of in a vulgar way" (or summat like that) Now the thing that really made me mad was the fact that she said it though it was alright to make fun of old people as long as its not the queen. WHY? She is no different. And thats my point. Different treatment for different types of people.

And now Jeremy Clarkson has been getting complaints over something he said about murdering prostitutes. Again he was joking.

Maybe i should become one of these idiots thats make complaints when someone tells a joke. The next time someone tells a blonde joke on TV i will contact that channel and complaint saying i think its disgusting as i am blonde and found it unapropriate. Maybe the person will get sacked. Oh no wait they wont will they cos im not famous am i. Nevermind...

Bad Wolf
04-11-2008, 19:38
the girl is a moose. she as a publicist now- max clifford (he is free after kerry kraptona dumped him) she is getting her 15 seconds worth. apparently she has been approached about celebrity bb, the silly grl is just humiliating her grand-dad so much more who is the real victim of all this

Bad Wolf
04-11-2008, 21:29
Georgina Baillie has called for Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to be reinstated by the BBC.

Andrew Sachs's granddaughter was at the centre of last week's Radio 2 phone prank row, which lead to Brand quitting the station and Ross being suspended by the broadcaster.

In an interview with The Sun, she claimed that both should pay for their behaviour by being axed.

However, during a new TV interview, the Satanic Sluts burlesque dance retracted her previous statement, arguing that the incident was blown "out of proportion".

"I was really angry when I said I wanted them both to be fired, but I think the suspension was good enough," she said. "So I'm feeling a bit gutted really about the whole thing.

"I think it's way out of proportion what's happened, and I don't hate either of them, I don't at all. I think they're really talented comedians and I think a world without Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand would be a very sad, dull place."

She argued that Brand needed to "learn a few lessons" about "respecting women", while Ross was advised to "think before he speaks".

She continued: "They made a mistake and they apologised to my granddad which was very important to me. And I hope that everyone can move on and that we can forget about this."

When asked about her future, Baillie commented: "I thought about doing modelling a few years ago but was told I was a bit too chunky for that, but now all of a sudden I'm not, so that's great."

Layne
04-11-2008, 22:20
Everyone hates her ... and she swallows her original words. Lost all respect dear, not that she had much anyway :rolleyes:

Bad Wolf
04-11-2008, 22:26
she is just a moose clinging on to her five seconds of fame

di marco
25-01-2009, 12:50
Jonathan Ross is facing fresh criticism today after appearing to joke about sex with an 80-year-old woman on his Radio 2 comeback show.

The broadcaster has returned to work this week after serving a three-month suspension from the BBC for his part in the Manuelgate scandal, which saw him leaving a series of lewd messages on the voicemail of Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs.

In Ross's first radio show since the row yesterday, the host's producer Andy Davies told listeners that he had been grabbed by a "frisky" OAP as he worked in the garden of his villa in Spain.

Ross replied: "Eighty, oh God! I think you should, just for charity. Give her one last night, will you? One last night before the grave. Would it kill you?"

Davies's wife Abigail has since confirmed that the woman does exist, explaining: "It's very sad because she has Alzheimer's Disease. She takes a fancy to any man in the street and tries to kiss them."

Ross's comments, which were broadcast shortly after 10.00am, have since been condemned by Tory MP David Davies.

"On Radio 2 you don't expected X-rated references to sex, and especially sex with an 80-year-old, during the day," Mr. Davies explained. "[Ross] should have gone ages ago. There's no way this man should be on the air. He needs to be replaced now."

However, speaking outside his home yesterday evening, Ross insisted that his comments had been misinterpreted.

"I hope no one has been upset by the show," he told the News Of The World. "It was a kind of light-hearted remark about giving her a cuddle. It wasn't 'give her one' - I meant, 'Give her one last cuddle.' You know there was no malice intended. There was no harm intended, OK?"

Perdita
03-04-2009, 10:47
Ofcom has fined the BBC £150,000 over its handling of the Andrew Sachs phone call controversy.

The TV regulator ruled that the Corporation had breached the Broadcasting Code on two occasions in deciding to air the incident, which involved radio hosts Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross leaving a series of lewd voicemail messages for the veteran actor.

Ofcom said that the broadcast had "unwarrantably and seriously infringed" the privacy of Sachs and his granddaughter Georgina Baillie - performer with the Satanic Sluts - and described the programme as "gratuitously offensive, humiliating and demeaning".

More to follow.

Chloe O'brien
05-04-2009, 01:17
Jonathan Ross should pay the £150,000 fine imposed on the BBC over the Andrew Sachs phone call controversy, MPs have claimed.
The chatshow host left a series of lewd messages on Sachs's answerphone during an appearance on Russell Brand's Radio 2 show in October. He was later suspended (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a134190/jonathan-ross-suspended-without-pay.html) without pay for three months, while Brand decided to resign (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a134072/russell-brand-quits-bbc-over-prank-calls.html) from the corporation.
Broadcasting regulator Ofcom yesterday announced (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a151684/bbc-fined-gbp150000-over-sachs-controversy.html) the record penalty after finding that Ross's behaviour was "gratuitously offensive, humiliating and demeaning".
Critics have now claimed that it would be wrong for programming funding to be cut as a result of Ross's stunt.
Liberal Democrat spokesman Don Foster told the Daily Mail: "This money should come out of Jonathan Ross's salary, so that broadcasting does not suffer as a consequence of this error."
Labour MP Gerald Kaufman added: "If one wants to see justice done, the fine should be directed at those that commit the fault, and in this case those who were responsible for allowing the material to be broadcast."
Meanwhile, Lord Rees Mogg, a former BBC governor, commented: "I think it would be a nice gesture if Jonathan Ross decided to pay the fine, or at least contribute. It is not fair that the BBC has to pay the fine, but they chose to hire him knowing the sort of entertainer he is."
However, a BBC spokesperson has dismissed the suggestion, insisting: "Jonathan Ross has already paid a significant financial penalty through being suspended without pay for three months. Ofcom's ruling is against the whole BBC, not one individual."

Perdita
06-04-2009, 06:07
THE BBC’s £150,000 fine for the Sachsgate scandal cannot be demanded from Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross without a change in the law, it was revealed last night.
Watchdog Ofcom said it did not have the power to fine individuals after Cabinet Minister Hazel Blears suggested that the pair cough up the penalty for their phone prank.

The Beeb was given its biggest-ever fine for the “gratuitously offensive, humiliating and demeaning” treatment of Fawlty Towers legend Andrew Sachs, 78, and his grand-daughter Georgina Baillie.

Ross, 48, and Brand, 33, left the actor an answerphone message saying that Brand had slept with burlesque dancer Baillie, 23.

But it is the viewers who will have to foot the bill — as the money will come out of licence fee funds.

Ofcom’s statement came after Ms Blears told Radio 4: “Maybe Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand should pay it — that might be quite a good idea.”

Lib Dem Don Foster also demanded Ross pay the fine out of his £6million salary “so that broadcasting doesn’t suffer”.

Ofcom said it could only fine “the BBC and not individuals, to do so would require a change in the law”.

miccisy
06-04-2009, 14:25
Why should JR or RB have to pay the fine anyway? The fine is for showing/ airing the footage not for doing it.

It was the producers or editors whatever that chose to show it not JR or RB.

di marco
06-04-2009, 15:44
while none of this would have happened if ross and brand hadnt left the message in the first place, its not just their fault, its also the bbcs fault for playing it as well. if they want to fine individuals rather than the bbc as a whole then i think the editor of the radio show should also contribute as well as ross and brand

Perdita
06-04-2009, 17:09
But I begrudge paying fines for the BBC because they broadcast rude and offensive comments. :angry:

di marco
06-04-2009, 17:26
But I begrudge paying fines for the BBC because they broadcast rude and offensive comments. :angry:

thats why im saying that if they dont want the bbc as a whole to pay for it, then it needs to come out of the salaries of the other employees who allowed this to happen, not just ross and brand

Perdita
08-04-2009, 10:26
Russell Brand has received fresh criticism from MPs following his attack on Jack Straw.

The comedian hit out at Straw after the politician claimed that he and Jonathan Ross should pay the £150,000 fine imposed on the BBC over the Andrew Sachs scandal.

Writing on his Twitter page, Brand commented: "I demand Jack Straw pays the 7bn pounds he squandered on the Iraq war that we didn't want."

Referring to the arrest of Straw's son for attempting to supply cannabis in 1997, he added: "No wonder his son has to toke himself to sleep."

MPs have now claimed that Brand has failed to take heed of the controversy which surrounded his treatment of Sachs last year.

Tory politician Ann Widdecombe told the Daily Mail: "The comments are outrageous and just show Brand has learnt nothing from the scandal."

Philip Davies, a member of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, added: "It's just typical of this so-called comedian.

"He misjudged what people found funny last time, and he is no doubt trying his best to be humorous again. These comments show he just isn't."

Brand recently suggested that MPs are attempting to distract the public from the current row over their expenses.

Abigail
08-04-2009, 11:51
At the end of the day, the BBC producers have the final say on what makes the cut and what doesn't. They are more to blame than Jonathon and Russell for sanctioning the airing of it.

They're all in it together. Jonathon and Russell have had their punishment, the producers and people who allowed this to go out should face similar disciplinary action.

di marco
08-04-2009, 14:56
Writing on his Twitter page, Brand commented: "I demand Jack Straw pays the 7bn pounds he squandered on the Iraq war that we didn't want."

i really dont like russell brand but that comment was pretty amusing!

Perdita
22-05-2009, 06:28
JONATHAN Ross is fuming after BBC bosses banned him from broadcasting live, The Sun can reveal.
From today he must record his Radio 2 Saturday show 24 hours earlier — giving execs time to edit out anything offensive.

They acted after Ross, 48, was alleged to have made an anti-gay jibe on the show two weeks ago. He suggested parents put boys up for adoption if they ask for a Hannah Montana MP3 player, “before he brings his, erm, partner home”.

The remark came after the £18million star was suspended for three months over Sachsgate.

Wossy apologised over his latest gaffe, and denied being homophobic. But last night a Beeb source said it was the “final straw”. He added: “BBC bosses are fed up chewing their fingernails to the quick every Saturday, worried about what he’s going to say. By recording the show the day before they can edit out anything they reckon could cause offence.”

The move has upset Ross. An insider said: “Jonathan is not happy about this at all. He feels he’s been bounced into it by people who just want to have a go at him. He feared this would happen. Now it’s a reality.”

The quiz will stay on the show as bosses plan to "work out a way to keep it". But they will have to be careful how they do this as the corporation was heavily fined after it admitted making up competition callers on its radio shows in 2007.

The BBC said last night: "Pre-recording Jonathan's show enables us to ensure the programme is watertight in line with Compliance whilst attracting the best guests. It's common practice to pre-record radio programmes and both Radio 2 and Jonathan are very happy with the plan."

We revealed how BBC chiefs are planning to slash Ross's £18million deal by at least a quarter - losing him £4.5million.

About time too imo

di marco
22-05-2009, 15:36
but wasnt the show recorded that ross and brand did with the phone call and they didnt edit it out? (i might be wrong though) so what makes them think that recording it will make sure nothing offensive happens

Perdita
22-05-2009, 19:28
You are right, their show was not edited before it was broadcast. But now they are going to check it even before that stage, I suppose.