PDA

View Full Version : Jordin Sparks

Perdita
26-10-2008, 17:44
Since winning American Idol last May, Jordin Sparks has done very nicely indeed, selling more than a million copies of her debut album and conquering the charts with 'No Air', her brilliantly emotional duet with Chris Brown. Earlier this week she jetted over to the UK to promote 'Tattoo' - her nearly as emotional follow-up single - so we took the opportunity to ask Jordin a few questions.

What's your new single, 'Tattoo', about?
"Well, I kinda feel that it's about anyone who comes into your life and leaves a mark on you whether it's good or bad. You can't erase it no matter how hard you try and it's going to be there permanently, kinda like a tattoo is."

Who do you think of when you sing it?
"Probably my family or some of my friends who've come and gone. Sometimes I think of people I've known who've passed away, so it can get a little emotional."

Your previous single, 'No Air', is pretty emotional too. Why do you think it's proved so popular?
"I'm not really sure, but I think one aspect is that it's a real singers' duet. People do a lot of collaborations but 'No Air' is actually two people singing a song and that doesn't happen that often now. When I first heard it, something about it touched me. My jaw dropped to the floor and I thought, 'I just have to have this song'."

Was it always going to be a duet?
"Actually at first I wasn't going to have any collaborations on my album. After I'd recorded the song, someone said it would make a great duet and asked me who I wanted to sing it with. I was like, 'Chris Brown? Please! Anybody? Chris Brown!' They sent him the song and 20 minutes later he called back saying he loved it."

What was he like to work with? It seems to get pretty intense in the video.
"He's really, really cool but he's bouncing off the walls 'cause he's so full of energy. Every time the camera stopped rolling he'd go stand in front of the mirror and dance. I was like, 'Woah, I couldn't move like that even if I tried!' We've actually talked about doing another song together, and maybe doing some writing too, but I don't know when that's going to happen because we're on opposite ends of the world at the moment. I'd love to work with him again though."

There's a rumour on the internet that you've recorded a track with Timbaland too. Is that true?
"Oh my gosh, I read that on the internet too and I was like, 'Really? Does he really wanna work with me?' I don't know if that's going to happen but if the track were right I'd love to work with Timbaland. Timbaland, if you ever read this interview I'd love to work with you, so have your people call my people and we'll work it out!"

And what about Leona Lewis? That's another duet people would love to see.
"Well, I've said in the past that I'd like to do a duet with her, and apparently she's said she'd like to duet with me, so hopefully it will work out. I would love to! It would sound so cool because our voices have such different tones. We could be the next Whitney and Mariah? Oh my gosh I did not just say that, don't quote me on that!"

Have you seen Simon Cowell while you've been in the UK?
"Well, last night I went for dinner and when I left the restaurant Simon's car was waiting outside for me. I got to ride back to the hotel in his Mercedes! I wrote him a little note and left it in the car for him, but I haven't seen him while I've been over here, except on The X Factor which I caught on Saturday."

What did you think of it?
"It's awesome and the stage is insane! The coolest thing is that they let groups and soloists perform, because it's just soloists on Idol. It made me sad though because I watched the results show and I just totally felt how they were feeling, not knowing whether they were staying or not. The women judges are beautiful by the way and their hair looks great. Simon and the other guy judge just sit there with their arms crossed saying things like, 'That's absolutely horrid'."

Jordin Sparks's single, 'Tattoo', and album, Jordin Sparks, are both out now.

Chris_2k11
26-10-2008, 17:55
Simon and the other guy judge just sit there with their arms crossed saying things like, 'That's absolutely horrid'."haha! love it

theirs a song on her album called 'Freeze' which must be released, its got hit written all over it

Perdita
29-05-2009, 07:02
She won American Idol in 2007, scored a transatlantic smash with 'No Air' last year, and her debut album's shifted a nifty 1.5 million copies around the world. Now Jordin Sparks is back with 'Battlefield', a ten tonne tank of a pop song that's sure to prove unstoppable this summer. Will her new album - due in July - be just as bombastic? We hooked up with the mighty-lunged belter to find out.

When did you first hear 'Battlefield'?
"It kinda came up by fluke. I was in the studio working on another song with Wayne Wilkins, one of the writers of 'Battlefield', and he said to me, 'I have a song I wanna play you but I don't know if I should'. I was like, 'Go for it - the worst that could happen is I don't like it'. He played the song and honestly my jaw hit the floor. I didn't wanna ask him on the spot if I could have the song, so I went to my A&R and said, 'This song's so phenomenal, you have to ask him if it's available'. About a week later I got a call saying I was going to record it."

When you were recording it, did you realise how huge it would end up sounding?
"I know, it sounds huge! What grabbed me at first actually was the fact it was so big. The melody starts off very soft but then it gets massive and kinda angsty. I've had lots of friends who've gone through 'Battlefield' situations in their relationships, so when I was singing the song I put myself in their position and tried to imagine what they were going through. I got so, so into it and I think you can tell."

Is 'Battlefield' a good representation of your new album?
"Well, at the moment 'Battlefield' is the only song that's on the album for sure. We have over 30 songs to choose from and we could go in so many different directions. We could go dance, we could go pop, we could go R&B, we could go a little bit more rock. With all those choices, and knowing 'Battlefield' is going to be on it, we want to make sure that everything blends and slots together nicely. We don't want to just throw everything in a pot and say 'Here's an album'."

When do you have to decide on the final tracklisting?
"I have to do it real soon actually, because the album's out in July and that's just around the corner! Hopefully next week when I go back home I'll be able to have that meeting and finalise the tracklisting'.

Have you written many songs for the album?
"Yeah, I've gotten way more involved in the writing process. It's been two years since Idol, and a year-and-a-half since I put out my first album, and I've gone through quite a lot of things in that time. To have these thoughts in my head and be able to put them onto paper and create a melody is an amazing experience. Of the 30 songs, I've helped to write about 12 so I'm hoping some of those will make the album. I know I'm going to fight for them!"

Are there any duets lined up?
"Not yet, but I do wanna work with Leona Lewis. I love her, she's so sweet! I think she's working on her album as well so I'd love to do a nice powerful female duet with her. I think our voices would blend really well. There's a couple of other people I'd love to work with - like Fergie, Justin Timberlake and Alicia Keys."

Do you think you can make the Leona duet happen?
"I really hope so. It's just been so crazy trying to coincide our schedules. I saw her a couple of months ago on the red carpet at the American Music Awards and I was like, 'OK, so I love your voice and I really want to work with you'. She was like, 'Oh, it would be so nice to do that'. She could possibly have changed her mind since then - I don't know - but hopefully we can get in contact and make something happen."

Did you watch much of this year's American Idol?
"I got to watch it more than last year, because I was touring all through last year. I think the finale was quite a surprise. Adam was more favoured to win because his voice is just out of this world, but I really liked Kris throughout the season. I just like the fact that he went out there with his guitar and said, 'This is me, this is what you're gonna get' and everyone loved it. He was the underdog and people like an underdog story so I think that's how he came out on top."

Of all the stars to emerge from Idol, which one would you most like to work with?
"I'd love to do something with Kelly Clarkson because she's been a monumental influence on me. I love how she handles her celebrity. She's not in the tabloids a lot but everyone knows and respects her because she's got an amazing voice. That's something I aim towards. I'd love to do something with Adam too actually, because voices like that don't come along very often. Not since Freddie Mercury or Steven Tyler has there been a voice like his. It would be really cool to do something with him and maybe release my inner rockstar."

Have you got plans for any UK live dates?
"Yes! I want to so badly but there's nothing finalised at the moment. I'm going on tour in the US this summer with the Jonas Brothers, but they're coming here in November so I'm hoping I can hop on with them and come and sing for you guys. If not, maybe I can come over by myself and do some live stuff. I'm itching to get over here because I've heard I have a lot of fans here who want to see me sing."

Finally, I've been reading about your Toblerone habit on your Twitter page. What's Toblerone got that other chocolate bars don't?
"I. Have. No. Idea! Maybe it's the fact it's triangle instead of square? It's just very smooth and those little nougat pieces are so good because after all the chocolate is gone you still have that to eat. I've become a little bit obsessed with Toblerone actually. I bought one of those huge ones at the airport and I know I shouldn't eat it, but it's just staring at me in my room going 'Eat me! Eat me!' We have Toblerone in America but for some reason it just tastes a lot better when I have it here."

'Battlefield' by Jordin Sparks is available to download from June 8.

Chris_2k11
31-05-2009, 23:00
Im not sure if I like Battlefield that much

Tattoo is her best for me :heart:

Bryan
07-06-2009, 17:38
battlefield is amazing, but i suppose it's becuase i can relate to it atm!